Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm finally getting around to watching Slings and Arrows after KKall mentioned it all these years ago in his first Shakespeare Month video and it's great.

Seriously, when he mentions that you should check out something in his videos, do it. I haven't been disappointed yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I picked up the audiobook for Verily, A New Hope, and I highly recommend it, because they did all the stuff they do for regular Star Wars audiobooks, having the voice modulation for the characters who need it and the sound effects and whatnot. It's practically an audio play!

Thanks for the rec, KKall!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I bought my brother The Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge as a gag birthday present a few months ago, it's pretty great. One hilarious bit is he has Obi-Wan talk through the entire overblown CGI light saber fight at the end, crazy set pieces and all.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVa6wlgR9CM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, I just finished marathoning the entire first season today instead of doing any of the other things I'd planned.

I wish we'd got more moments of Geoff helping Jack "Not Keanu Reeves" Crews find his inner actor, those were great.

Edit: also Nahum was the best.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 3, 2016

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, I just finished marathoning the entire first season today instead of doing any of the other things I'd planned.

I wish we'd got more moments of Geoff helping Jack "Not Keanu Reeves" Crews find his inner actor, those were great.

Edit: also Nahum was the best.

"Darren, everyone cries when they're stabbed."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KKall posted:

"Darren, everyone cries when they're stabbed."

"I'm going to do you a favor. I'm firing you."
"Oh thank you!"

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

MrSlam posted:

Ralph Sepe talks about what he considers is the worst show on television - Mystery Diners

I wouldn't mind an internet series revolving around how fake and low quality most reality shows are.

I watched a few episodes of this because I was bored and I could tell it was fake as hell from the first 30 seconds. Astonishingly fake.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

"I'm going to do you a favor. I'm firing you."
"Oh thank you!"

"I was trying to throttle a swan. It seemed like the sensible thing to do at the time."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i dont know who this ralph sepe is but hes cute and funny, ty internet critic discussion thread

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I like you hbomb, you're good people and I'm disappointed that it took me relatively so long to pick up on your good videos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KKall posted:

"I was trying to throttle a swan. It seemed like the sensible thing to do at the time."

"I can't comfort you right now - I'm on hold."

It took me until the end of episode 2 to finally notice the actor playing Geoff was Paul Gross. You know, the mountie from Due South.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zgZulxezEw

He really looks different!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I still like playing through the first F.E.A.R. game.

The expansions, not so much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MariusLecter posted:

I still like playing through the first F.E.A.R. game.

The expansions, not so much.

I thought Extraction Point had some good scares at least. Perseus Mandate however...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought Extraction Point had some good scares at least. Perseus Mandate however...

Yeah, watching this video now, Extraction Point was pretty good. Need to play that again too.

I was remembering Perseus Mandate mostly. Noah didn't bring up the part in Perseus Mandate where in the middle of the game the big bag tosses a knife at a door from behind you and you see his shadow pop up through an overhead manhole. Easily the dumbest and most eyerolling moment, imo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

rudecyrus posted:

I watched a few episodes of this because I was bored and I could tell it was fake as hell from the first 30 seconds. Astonishingly fake.

It can be funny in short doses. The "Someone is trying to start a secret restaurant within our restaurant" plotline has happened multiple times.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hipsters Invade Harlem - Insider Food REACT & REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBVptNzeTOQ

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

MrSlam posted:

Ralph Sepe talks about what he considers is the worst show on television - Mystery Diners

I wouldn't mind an internet series revolving around how fake and low quality most reality shows are.

Aaaand it's gone.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Tracula posted:

Aaaand it's gone.

Son of a bitch

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
On the bright side though

https://twitter.com/ralphsepe/status/738809570047463424

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I look forward to watching that when it comes back up.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Tracula posted:

On the bright side though

FUPA FOR FREEDOM

Also, on the bright side, Phelous rants with his friend about the new Michael Bay Turtles film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u711AnuJhUk
And YMS did a piece on Fateful Findings a Neil Breen film, aka made by the same guy that Red Letter Media/Max Landis lost their poo poo over when Rich tried explaining the plot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1jXYooEFg0

And yes, Neil (Techno-Jesus, the best there's ever been) Breen cures cancer again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tracula posted:

Aaaand it's gone.

drat, I was lucky to catch it, it was quite good. That show is so stupid, and he did a good and funny job of tearing it apart.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Tracula posted:

Aaaand it's gone.

Still plays for me. Maybe it's blocked in certain countries?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

Still plays for me. Maybe it's blocked in certain countries?

It was down for me when I checked about an hour ago, but its working now. That must of been the fastest I've ever seen the counterclaim system work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like this Ralph guy, he shares my deep burning hate of Charles Stiles, Mystery Diners

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

WampaLord posted:

drat, I was lucky to catch it, it was quite good. That show is so stupid, and he did a good and funny job of tearing it apart.

I was most thoroughly entertained by it :D I can't imagine devoting the time to reviewing a terrible reality show. I thought about reviewing PLAYING IT STRAIGHT, after I'd watched two episodes of it, but I realised that I couldn't quite bring myself to do it.
I had a look through his other videos, but most of them seem to be about the kind of movies that have been discussed five million times before (hello, video on a superhero movie!) which usually isn't as interesting to me.
I don't know whether the video was up at the time or down in countries-that-weren't-Australia when I watched it, but it worked for me.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

It can be funny in short doses. The "Someone is trying to start a secret restaurant within our restaurant" plotline has happened multiple times.

Seems like a pretty good grift to me: take the restaurant exposure of something like Kitchen Nightmares, but have the "problem" always be something that wouldn't discourage the viewer from eating there, like showing the owner being a shithead or the kitchen being filthy, but you still have enough added drama that the show is more compelling, and should therefore draw more viewers, than a simple "check out this local restaurant it is a good place to eat" show.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Mystery Diners had this strange air of subtle (and not so subtle) racism about it all, especially about the middle eastern food cart stealing their food and poo poo. I dunno, I could be looking too much into it but it really seemed to me like they were playing on racial prejudice and poo poo a bit.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Tracula posted:

Mystery Diners had this strange air of subtle (and not so subtle) racism about it all, especially about the middle eastern food cart stealing their food and poo poo. I dunno, I could be looking too much into it but it really seemed to me like they were playing on racial prejudice and poo poo a bit.

The perfectly intelligible guy with an accent getting subtitles was pretty overt.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 4, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I would love a show talking about lovely reality tv shows. I keep hearing about this Bridalplasty show, which sounds like the dumbest poo poo ever.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tired Moritz posted:

I would love a show talking about lovely reality tv shows. I keep hearing about this Bridalplasty show, which sounds like the dumbest poo poo ever.

Just watch TLC for 24 hours.

Make sure to hide the cutlery first.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Operation Repo is also loving ridiculous but at least it doesn't try to pretend to be legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1bc4kNLHI

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Celery Face posted:

Operation Repo is also loving ridiculous but at least it doesn't try to pretend to be legit.

You do not gently caress with Bernice.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Celery Face posted:

They really hosed up by not playing a ripoff of the Terminator music when Bernice came around the corner.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Celery Face posted:

I don't remember the name of it, but I'm sure it wasn't OR, where the host was car repo man but he would pay off the whatever that demands the repo if the owner can pass a quiz. One episode has the guy driving up and the owner of the vehicle running out of the house with a rifle and pointing it directly at the head of the host... and this dramatic music plays and the camera man shakes his camera to add drama to the shot.

TruTV got bad, I loved the forensic files and watching COPs for 5 straight hours then it was all repo shows for some reason :smith:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Leal posted:

I don't remember the name of it, but I'm sure it wasn't OR, where the host was car repo man but he would pay off the whatever that demands the repo if the owner can pass a quiz. One episode has the guy driving up and the owner of the vehicle running out of the house with a rifle and pointing it directly at the head of the host... and this dramatic music plays and the camera man shakes his camera to add drama to the shot.

TruTV got bad, I loved the forensic files and watching COPs for 5 straight hours then it was all repo shows for some reason :smith:

Well it makes sense to do repo shows, they're guaranteed to be dramatic. The life of a repo man is always intense.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I Before E posted:

Well it makes sense to do repo shows, they're guaranteed to be dramatic. The life of a repo man is always intense.
I'm literally watching this movie right now.

weird.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So does this thread also count as a kind of defacto TGWTG discussion thing, cause there's this guy I wanna talk about who was on TGWTG (and might still be there, I dunno) who doesn't do the internet critic thing but I dunno where else I'd bring him up because hoo boy is his stuff uhhh not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Might as well, we poo poo on doug whenever the opportunity brings itself up so why not?

• Locked thread