Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Air mattresses are also really heavy and bulky.

And filling one with a hand/foot pump sucks. That was one of my worst decisions and I'm a goony mother fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly at this point I doubt you could find an original unaltered copy of the cookbook since people have been making their own changes since shortly after it started distributing over the internet BBSes. That said, if you wanted to live off the grid, you're going to have to eat squirrel.

FTFY. n00b.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Products sold for a particular purpose are often ideally suited for that purpose.

#lifehack

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you're really good at blowing you don't need a pump #protip

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I bought an air mattress for $40 that is queen sized, raised, and self inflating. As in, it has an inflation device that has a power cord that is built in to the side of the mattress. It's like sleeping on a cloud, even more comfortable than my regular bed at home. A lot of places you can camp have electricity and you could sleep on this magic cloud there.

Honest lifehack: buy things from Walmart's online store: you can get the same things that Amazon sells, at heavy discounts. People don't do it because they're all like "eww Walmart" and they are stupid.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

cheerfullydrab posted:

A lot of places you can camp have electricity

Uh...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A friend of mine back in highschool called camping going to a cabin in the woods with electricity and playing Smash Bros if it rained so it's possible.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

State parks and such. There's a whole world of camping that isn't going into the actual unmanaged woods and sleeping in a tent on gravel around dozens of strangers doing the same.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cheerfullydrab posted:

State parks and such. There's a whole world of camping that isn't going into the actual unmanaged woods and sleeping in a tent on gravel around dozens of strangers doing the same.

Lol. "Look at you primitives camping without electricity in an actual tent. :smug:"

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Jun 4, 2016

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Y'all do know it's still called camping if there is electricity and running water? Sleeping outside, away from most civilization, is camping. Goons get snotty about the weirdest poo poo.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If there's electricity and water it's a short lease in a trailer park, not camping.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I do hate kindergarten appropriation devaluating proper vocabulary.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
And what word would you use in casual conversation to describe that trip to a normal person? Camping.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
If you're paying the rates that places with electrical hookup and water spigots at every site charge, and carrying around a heavy rear end, cheapo air mattress with a built in pump, "camp kitchen", and other poo poo, I'm not going to be a total snob and say you can't call it camping. However, if you're doing it for the "experience", you're a fool and should just spend all that money on a cheap hotel.

Car camping is different than backcountry camping, and that's fine. But there's a smart way to do car camping, and a "lol I'm from the suburbs and bought all this cool poo poo at Wal-Mart" way to do car camping. If you want to have inflatable pads to sleep on (which is perfectly fine, I use them when car camping), then get something like this:

https://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

They self-inflate, with no electricity needed, pack down decently enough and are easy to move around, and you don't annoy your fellow campers with your loud-rear end air pump. Yes they are pricey, but they last way longer than air mattresses you get for $40.

VVV We seem to have circled back on ourselves, but it illustrates why it's a stupid hack. It's only moderately cheaper but 100% more of a pain in the rear end. And waste of money in the long run.

LogisticEarth has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Jun 4, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LogisticEarth posted:

If you're paying the rates that places with electrical hookup and water spigots at every site charge, and carrying around a heavy rear end, cheapo air mattress with a built in pump, "camp kitchen", and other poo poo, I'm not going to be a total snob and say you can't call it camping. However, if you're doing it for the "experience", you're a fool and should just spend all that money on a cheap hotel.

Car camping is different than backcountry camping, and that's fine. But there's a smart way to do car camping, and a "lol I'm from the suburbs and bought all this cool poo poo at Wal-Mart" way to do car camping. If you want to have inflatable pads to sleep on (which is perfectly fine, I use them when car camping), then get something like this:

https://www.rei.com/product/870757/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-sleeping-pad

They self-inflate, with no electricity needed, pack down decently enough and are easy to move around, and you don't annoy your fellow campers with your loud-rear end air pump. Yes they are pricey, but they last way longer than air mattresses you get for $40.
That's the exact style of bedroll the lifehack infographic was advocating you replace with an air mattress.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

"Replace a purpose built product with a cheap product that's not designed for the task at hand but sorta kinda does it in a passingly lovely way if you squint at it right." is literally every lifehack.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

fizzymercy posted:

And what word would you use in casual conversation to describe that trip to a normal person? Camping.

Lmao

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

fizzymercy posted:

Y'all do know it's still called camping if there is electricity and running water? Sleeping outside, away from most civilization, is camping. Goons get snotty about the weirdest poo poo.

It's the same cargo-cult masculinity that makes people look down on others for not spending 30 minutes every morning wet-shaving or drinking whisky from a glass that isn't full of magic whisky rocks, combined with SA's own particular breed of mental illness that makes people spend three years straight laughing at a game console because it has the wrong RAM.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Guy Mann posted:

It's the same cargo-cult masculinity that makes people look down on others for not spending 30 minutes every morning wet-shaving or drinking whisky from a glass that isn't full of magic whisky rocks, combined with SA's own particular breed of mental illness that makes people spend three years straight laughing at a game console because it has the wrong RAM.

Lol.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I've always liked the hardcore back-country camping, complete with canoeing into your site, portaging, bear hanging your food barrel, etc. but my husband is a bit of a princess and doesn't really like camping. So we compromise by going car camping. We usually will go a couple of times a summer to our fave provincial park, which has nice semi-private sites. The sites themselves don't have electricity, but there is a picnic area down by the beach that does so we usually just head over there to blow up our big air mattress and charge our phones for a while, etc. It's not very hardcore, but our main objective for these trips is to spend time together getting as high and drunk as possible outside, playing improvised beer pong, having campfires, eating fire-roasted weenies, going out for a rip in a canoe, smoking a joint by the lake at sunset (occasionally hiding from park rangers), and other minor adventures. Even though I really enjoy the full wilderness experience, car camping has it's place too. gently caress the haters!

E: \/\/\/ I agree it was pretty funny. No camping rules!

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 17:22 on Jun 4, 2016

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

You guys don't need to take it so hard. Camp how you want. It was just the way he said it which was funny. Tents? Unmanaged woods? Gravel?!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You guys don't need to take it so hard. Camp how you want. It was just the way he said it which was funny. Tents? Unmanaged woods? Gravel?!

Don't forget to buy everything from wal mart #storehack

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Camp out in Walmart.
You see just as much wildlife!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Guy Mann posted:

So how's that Xbox One workin' out for ya? :haw:

Content: Had some celebrating to do, it's been hot out, and I like tasty things. :holy:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dewgy posted:

So how's that Xbox One workin' out for ya? :haw:

Content: Had some celebrating to do, it's been hot out, and I like tasty things. :holy:

Sometimes I think I'm in the Recent purchases thread as well.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sometimes I think I'm in the Recent purchases thread as well.

best lifehack: never remember where you're posting, shitpost everywhere

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I was trying to be sarcastic about car camping and it came out bad. That post was supposed to be pro-"real" camping.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Oh but definitely buy everything from Walmart.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cheerfullydrab posted:

I was trying to be sarcastic about car camping and it came out bad. That post was supposed to be pro-"real" camping.

Fair enough! I'm the retard then. Sorry!

Well. Unless guy mann was serious.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Fair enough! I'm the retard then. Sorry!

Well. Unless guy mann was serious.

I am stupid, no worries.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 18:34 on Jun 4, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Lol camping elitists are the worst. I've done a fair amount of ultralight packing, a lot of it above the treeline sleeping in bivvies because there's too much wind for tents. Hell I WORKED for REI for a while. I've done large segments of the PCT and a decent amount of through hiking, I grew up in a wilderness area where the camping rules are literally "you have to be 100ft away from water or a trail but other than that knock yourself out bro" and I still camp in places that have power sometimes. A ton of state campgrounds have power and showers these days, even ones that are pretty drat rural. It's totally acceptable to camp with an air mattress, I do it all the time. I own a light weight ensolite camping pad for when I have to actually carry stuff an appreciable distance, but if you're bringing your car and you have room a queen sized air mattress takes up about as much room and two rolled pads anyways so you might as well let you and your SO sleep in style. If you insist on using backpacking grade equipment for car camping that doesn't make you more authentic, it makes you an idiot and whatever the camping equivalent of the guy who buys a expensive super duty pickup truck so he can drive it around town and pick his kids up from school while he wears his cowboy hat and jeans and plays pretend.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lifehack: didn't read your post.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Lol camping elitists are the worst. I've done a fair amount of ultralight packing, a lot of it above the treeline sleeping in bivvies because there's too much wind for tents. Hell I WORKED for REI for a while. I've done large segments of the PCT and a decent amount of through hiking, I grew up in a wilderness area where the camping rules are literally "you have to be 100ft away from water or a trail but other than that knock yourself out bro" and I still camp in places that have power sometimes. A ton of state campgrounds have power and showers these days, even ones that are pretty drat rural. It's totally acceptable to camp with an air mattress, I do it all the time. I own a light weight ensolite camping pad for when I have to actually carry stuff an appreciable distance, but if you're bringing your car and you have room a queen sized air mattress takes up about as much room and two rolled pads anyways so you might as well let you and your SO sleep in style. If you insist on using backpacking grade equipment for car camping that doesn't make you more authentic, it makes you an idiot and whatever the camping equivalent of the guy who buys a expensive super duty pickup truck so he can drive it around town and pick his kids up from school while he wears his cowboy hat and jeans and plays pretend.

People should just camp whatever way they want. It's fun to be outside. Some people are a little REI, some people are a little Cabela's.

Real hardcore campers just sleep under a tarp rigged between trees anyway.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

:hfive:

To get this thread back on track, have a car camping #dadhack. Before you get too drunk camping, spend half an hour or whatever driving around the campground. When you see a good campsite, one that is really private, or really big or whatever, get out the park map that they gave you on the way in and circle the site number/write down the number of the good site. This way next year when booking your camping trip, you'll know where the good sites are. Walla.

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Jun 4, 2016

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

cheerfullydrab posted:

People should just camp whatever way they want. It's fun to be outside. Some people are a little REI, some people are a little Cabela's.

Real hardcore campers just sleep under a tarp rigged between trees on the hard, cold, bare ground with sharp rocks and pointy sticks digging into their soft bits like a animal anyway.

:j:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Jerry Cotton posted:

Scrolling through threads and replying without reading is my posting gimmick.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just never go outside, like I do. You can build a blanket fort once in a while if you want.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Scrolling through threads and replying without reading is my posting gimmick.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Reading every thread in depth but never posting is my gimmick.

Edit: gently caress! Mods, please delete. :(

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seventy more