Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Stefan Prodan posted:

What kinds of other better things does your Lord typically do?

For example, charging into the back of an engaged horde of infantry to rout them. Intercepting skirmish cavalry so your troops can catch up to it. A targeted assassination of their spellcaster or artillery unit. Chasing off their ranged units. Spamming Stand Your Ground in the middle of the biggest part of the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Von_Doom posted:

One question: if I attached a hero (like a Runepriest or Engineer) can I remove them from the regiment to go wander around solo for a bit? I tried right clicking and/ or shift and it accomplishes gently caress all. There is something simple I bet.

Just select them and right click on the campaign map and they'll split off and move there. I do it all the time by mistake thinking I have the whole stack selected :saddowns:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vamp lords/heroes especially can hold half a line on their own, with high armor and passive healing. Unless they're up against a lot of AP, they're really hard to kill. All that "Grimgor soloed my army" stuff falls off once he's stuck in a mob with Thunderers shooting him.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can you go into the kinds of factors that would make you change your decision and which way they would change the decision?

There are probably 3 basic strategies

1. Out Fight Them
2. Out Shoot Them
3. Out Flank Them

Out Fight Them is simple. Have better units and use their abilities better. Have your swordsmen fight their spearmen. Have your spearmen fight their cavalry. You're a brawler and your job is to out murder them.

Out Shoot Them is pretty easy. Again you want a low damage, high durability front line. Their job is to buy time for your ranged units to murder everything.

Out Flank Them is a bit harder. You want low damage, high durability units to "pin" the enemy into fighting them. Then your cavalry or whatever hits the pinned guys in the butt.

A good strategy will have elements of all three. You'll manage the match ups to favor you, swing any free/reserve troops to flank and maneuver your ranged units for maximum effect.

A really, good simple strategy is to turn or "roll up" a line.

Pick one of your sides and give it a unit of melee behind the lines. Have your archers focus whoever is approaching on that flank. Once the fight starts your reserve unit swings out to the side and hit the Left (or right) most enemy unit in the butt. Once it runs you take both your units and hit the next Left most one. Repeat until you've murdered everything.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Undead garrisons are loving bullshit. :argh:

I've had all the Vampire Counts down to only Drakenhoff for over 20 turns now, (I've had to break siege several times for diplomatic poo poo) but I can't loving crack that castle. Kemmler's taken over the defense and I haven't seen Mannfred since the first fight. I roll up with two armies and the Vampires will always sally out to break the siege. Despite managing to dogpile Kemmler and a Von Carstien flunky with ease, the garrison army just does not loving crumble despite having the "Lord has Died" modifier to leadership.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

Undead garrisons are loving bullshit. :argh:

I've had all the Vampire Counts down to only Drakenhoff for over 20 turns now, (I've had to break siege several times for diplomatic poo poo) but I can't loving crack that castle. Kemmler's taken over the defense and I haven't seen Mannfred since the first fight. I roll up with two armies and the Vampires will always sally out to break the siege. Despite managing to dogpile Kemmler and a Von Carstien flunky with ease, the garrison army just does not loving crumble despite having the "Lord has Died" modifier to leadership.

What nation are you?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Undead won't crumble unless you do to them what would rout or shatter another army with their leadership. Also, the garrison might have a named commander unit like lordless armies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The old wizard who's been so obviously inserted into the intro videos as a clear afterthought had better somehow be involved in the resurrection of Nagash or another big event to justify him being the advisor to every army I've watched so far.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
He comes from the land of "Not wanting to pay different voice actors for every tutorial so you can get this poo poo done in one day."

Very appropriately named.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

The old wizard who's been so obviously inserted into the intro videos as a clear afterthought had better somehow be involved in the resurrection of Nagash or another big event to justify him being the advisor to every army I've watched so far.

There is a justification, actually, but it's not really about him.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

There is a justification, actually, but it's not really about him.

When something seems convoluted in Warhammer, you always have the excuse that Tzeentch did it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

The Royal Scrub posted:

Can I actually do something about enemy agents or do they just get to gently caress with me forever?

First sentence of the OP should be:

Install the "No aggressive agents" mod or, yes, you will indeed get to be hosed until forever.

In my first game I went more or less with the advice given earlier, played VC and had some assassinating banshee. For every agent she managed to kill the AI spammed 3-4 more over the borders to assassinate all my leaders and break all my poo poo with absolutely nothing I could do. According to CA this is good and balanced and p great because

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Agents are either useless or useful. Right now they are useful, and the player needs to learn this. They stop the problem of assassinations, ai armies constantly running away, etc. I find it weird the agent thing is causing so much angst and at the same time people are bemoaning losing the way less exciting busy work of the rome 2 strategy layer of food etc. Agents at least are much more interesting because they compliment the tactical layer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I guess I just don't know how you go about learning the minutiae and stuff, I just need some really complicated guide that actually does try to address at least the thought process

If you're at this point you need a solid understanding of the tactical battle game mechanics more than a guide on what to do. With knowledge of how ye game works you should be able to see what to do for yourself.

Do you know how morale works, how facing affects melee and ranged combat, what charge bonus does, how armor piercing works? If not we could start with a basic overview there.

Once you get that down you should be able to figure out what a unit is for based on its stat line, why flank charges are desirable, whether you can expect a missile unit to do useful damage to a target etc.

With this game as others said there really is no one size fits all instruction book. Some armies have flame throwers, some have giants... Fighting a chaos v empire battle is going to go very differently depending on who you play. Chaos has elite infantry and line-breaking monsters out the rear end and will want to just get stuck in and crush, while empire is going to know they can't win the straight fight and will be seeking to harass, shoot and ultimately envelop the chaos army with its superior firepower and tactical flexibility.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Watch the intro video again. I was wondering why they were ripping off Warcraft 3 myself, then I watched the cinematic again while I finished eating.

In other news, I accidentally made the Dwarves the second most powerful faction in the game as VC.

I was trying to nurse a Human faction to help me vs the Empire, and he was at war with the dwarves in the north mountain. While waging war on the stunties (note, holy gently caress get grave guards asap if you forsee Dwarven conflict) they offered vassalization. So I decided to nurse them into becoming sole proprietor of Dwarf mountain so I could forget about Orcs. Well, I didn't realize two things.
1. How fast he was gobbling up cities after I sacked them.
2. How much anger raiding builds.
Right when I got to black Crag or whatever, my own vassal declares war on me. The next turn he gets confederated into the Dwarves (which is stupid because he was bigger and wealthier than the lovely Dwarves)
The turn after that, the first Chaos wave starts and all hell is now breaking loose.

I think I'll restart because getting back to Sylvania is going to be a meat grinder.

It's a shame too because I got a 20% magic resist and 20% missile resist items on a Banshee and wanted to see her in battle.

Speaking of heroes, with a max level hold in the province just north of the Empire start, you can produce level 13 War Priests/Witch hunters.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So on turn 90 I conquered all the badland orcs. Walking north with 3 stacks of black orcs/trolls in Waaagh with 12k income. :feelsgood: 99% of the battles have been auto-resolve.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

+Money, maybe decrease public order? (blood bowl fans are a bunch of violent psycopaths). Also, have an event pop once in a while, "The Blood Bowl Cup final! Reikland Reavers vs The Chaos All-Stars!", bet on the winner, get bonuses if you win.

Dunno, there's a lot of room for fun there.

Or you could recruit former NAF League players as heroes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

So on turn 90 I conquered all the badland orcs. Walking north with 3 stacks of black orcs/trolls in Waaagh with 12k income. :feelsgood: 99% of the battles have been auto-resolve.

Yeah, the jump from pre to post Badlands conquest as Orcs is loving enormous overall. You pretty much become the top power instantly with all the resources you suddenly gain.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna laugh if agent assassin spam is a anti-pirating feature. Haven't seen that worth a drat in my game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Game is rad.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Grognan posted:

Gonna laugh if agent assassin spam is a anti-pirating feature. Haven't seen that worth a drat in my game.

Neither! Haven't seen any spam that I couldn't handle/was reasonable.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Grognan posted:

You cannot pirate this game.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Agent spam can get annoying because going to war with more than one faction means you're potentially facing double the enemy agents at minimum. Taking into account the fact that the AI does not need to optimize its cities for more money, this means that the AI can also build more agent buildings and keep tossing money at agent actions.

The flip side of this is that a vassal/ally swarm can pretty much dump endless waves of agents along with its numerable doomstacks that already wear down Chaos Warrior stacks.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I got a lot of agent spam from the VC whenever I went to poke them in the eye more than likely because they could get lots of agents but every time I went near them they were very smooshed in by the enemies around them, but generally speaking with everyone else there's usually only one or two of the buggers in my business when I'm actively at war with them. With my just-finished Greenskin campaign I had a particularly vicious little Big Boss Gobbo that I got at the very beginning of the campaign who was quite proficient at gouging out the eyes of anyone trying to slow his boss down. If someone stepped up to cause trouble he just disengaged from the stack and took them out.

He got the title of "Murdera" after his name and a trait to match as a result. Little bugger actually took down the High King on the battlefield TWICE. He also was my go-to for the "SEND A HERO/CHARACTER TO THIS LOCATION" quest bullshit.

Seriously, find which of your agents is the best for murdering other characters and just put one in every stack when you're recruiting your army. They're solid on the battlefield, will often have a few extra bonuses that will help your war efforts, have loads of character from the weird traits they can get, and will snuff out most of your problems when they come looking for you.

Chomp8645 posted:

Game is rad.

Perfect.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Munion posted:

So I manage to fight off a decent orc army with minimal garrison in a town... The army goes into retreat mode, I cut it off using underway with another army I have so next turn it can't retreat south. Instead of being trapped between my 2 field armies now, It spawns Grimgor Ironhide into the AI army and goes right back to the town.... So annoying the AI just gets to generate a full health badass general in an army nowhere near its territory.

I've never had to deal with a leaderless army before but you can definitely just swap lords around if you have one spare.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

As I was mopping up the Badlands and mountains to the south, the Top Knotz were friendly to me, and I was pretty okay with letting them mop up the rest of the Orc tribes and Dwarf holds with me. I expected to be able to federate with me, anyway.

But the option doesn't even come up on the diplomacy screen, even though they're super friendly and I'm way more powerful than them - And I need to destroy or absorb them to win. My guys are all stompin' up in the Empire now, and I really don't want to divert a army down to mop up the Top Knotz.

Is it because they're savage orcs?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Yeah, the savage orcs don't count as normal orcs. If you get a quest to assassinate an orc leader or a grudge to defeat greenskin faction armies they also don't count.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

My VC campaign looks like it's going to be a loss against the Chaos hordes. Guess I shouldn't have left the Empire to die to the initial Chaos invasion before the real one even started. Now it's my 3 armies against a all the entirety of the north. Even if I can win some fights I can't protect my income well enough to pay my upkeep and there's a gang bang of 5 armies that barreling into Sylvania that I can't do anything about until they split up.

Also doesn't help that I don't have a single unit that can take out Chosen Halberds straight up. I want some missile troops dammit.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 4, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Aurubin posted:

When something seems convoluted in Warhammer, you always have the excuse that Tzeentch did it.

So the old dude is really The Changeling?

(Yea, I know it's 40K, but it's all part of the plan)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So gyrocopters... kind of suck?
I took three brimstone units along on Thorgrim's axe mission and they seem pretty useless, on a mission designed to make them shine. They never hit, either the doomdivers or the shamans.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 4, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

What nation are you?

Empire. I got a quest for a great piece of armor that required me to attack one of Nordland's enemies. I finally manage to beat a Marienburg army that had me badly outnumbered, only to find out Nordland wasn't at war with them anymore. I had to divert Karl to Ostland to complete the quest before it expired with maybe 1-2 turns to spare.

I've let my infrastructure really suffer in the meantime, as I'm still depending on swordsmen and spears against Cairn Wraiths and Grave Guard in a battle where I'm hosed by the position of reinforcements.

E:

Found a great guide on army movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKekrN6XXoU

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 4, 2016

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Killing off Dwarfs as VC is no fun. Painfully slow slog as your units succumb to attrition with no chance of recovery. Raise dead can give poo poo tier stuff and fighting dwarf late game armies is horrible 1 on 1.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

alex314 posted:

Killing off Dwarfs as VC is no fun. Painfully slow slog as your units succumb to attrition with no chance of recovery. Raise dead can give poo poo tier stuff and fighting dwarf late game armies is horrible 1 on 1.

crypt horrors do pretty well against them, ive found

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Game is rad.

I need a new computer.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Royal Scrub posted:

I need a new computer.

I need money and games to not be so expensive in Aus

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

sassassin posted:

Assassinations quests are stupid and not fun.

Never mind assassination quests, assassination grudges are a thing of pure evil, as soon as you get one it seems like your most stabby specced dwarf agent suddenly prefers cuddles and kittens to murder. Had two of the damned things on my Grudge Book for ages now simply because my assassin doesn't believe in average chances of success over 30 turns.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can't quite figure out how Chaos population surplus works, surplus seems to just drop randomly. So far my impression is that the game wants me to just sit still and be in city mode constantly, if i ever want to get anything other than marauders and hounds.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
It drops when you construct or upgrade a building, or when you recruit a new lord. The best way of gaining surplus in the early game, I found, was to raze settlements (which gives you a bonus) and use your first skill points on the growth-increasing trait in the "campaign skills" row.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
All right, if there is one thing that comes up a lot it's heroes, so this is me doing a giant hero effortpost on all the heroes in the game and what they do. Yes really.

First off, I'll cover on-map actions, which is often the most important and most annoying part of using heroes. There are a couple of broad archtypes that nearly all heroes fit into regardless of race, having the exact same set of slightly renamed campaign map abilities. Except Dwarves but I'll get to that.

The Wizard

Empire Wizards, Chaos Sorcerers, Necromancers, Shamans, all go here. By default Wizards have the ability to reduce construction costs for the province they are in when deployed by about 10%, with an extra 10% for the first point in their bottom skill chain. This is actually fairly useful if more than a bit micro-heavy, it's an easy way to upgrade your capitol province for cheap if nothing else.

Otherwise Wizard agents can buff their effectiveness at assaulting armies, damaging buildings, and give themselves a small buff to assassinate. Deeper in the chain they can learn an embed army ability to increase magic item droop chance, (Yay?) deploy to reduce winds of magic slightly, or boost the effectiveness of block army.

To sum up they are super annoying in the hands of the AI because they can do all the poo poo that will drive you crazy but because they aren't especially good at any one thing are rarely worth skilling up as agents for the player. (Plus, you know, giving up actual magic on the magic guy to be a mediocre agent.) gently caress Wizards!

The mini-me Lord

Thanes, Exalted Heroes, Captains, Wight Kings, all go here. Orcs are the only race who doesn't get one, but no big loss...

The default ability for all these basic fighter dudes is to increase public order when deployed. It's not great. They're further hampered by the first half of their skill chain basically being straight garbage. + assault, + 3 turns siege holdout time, - 3 enemy public order (when deployed) and -15% recruitment costs are you loving kidding me?

Bleh. After you've straight wasted 5 skill points they become almost sorta decent, getting a small buff to assassinate chance, the ability to boost recruitment XP when deployed, and most importantly the ability to train up armies when embedded.

These guys pretty much suck as agents, you can get some use out of them after level 8 or so but getting to that point is a drag and even then I consider them pretty meh overall. Training is good but for what it takes to get there bleh. For me they are forever quest fodder. I would say the one good thing about leveling them is that they're all so tanky by default that ignoring combat skills to go straight to training is no real loss.

The Assassin

Witch Hunters, Goblin Big Boss, Banshee, go here. Dwarves and Chaos get shafted.

Assassins are basically the best agents in the game for a very simple reason. They are by far the strongest agents at pulling off assassinations, and also bodyguard your stacks against enemy agents. The two best skills in one package, leveling these guys up should always be your first priority.

Your default ability is to deploy and reduce the success of enemy agents in that region. It's less useful than it sounds because they should always be embedded or shanking agents, but that's fine because this is the only agent type that can start pumping assassinate chance from level 3. They also get the ability to damage walls, block armies, and of course act as embedded bodyguards for your armies to protect against enemy agents.

Literally have all the best agent skills in the game with no downsides and usually have a pretty meh combat tree so you aren't missing anything. Always go full assassin.

The Priest

Empire Warrior Priests, and oddly, Vampire Heroes go here.

Priests are cool because they heal your dudes, and the two we get are also combat monsters with lots of powerful unique skills, so the only drawback is that distributing skill points can be really hard.

By default Priests can deploy and boost growth in a province. Eh. Luckily by level 3 you can go straight to replenishment for an extra 15% healing in your embedded army, which is actually huge. Once they get over the halfway hump then can learn Heal Troops to double down on replenishment with an extra +10% and also reduce attrition damage by 15%.

This is the rarest agent type, and leveling them up as agents is a bit of a sacrifice but if you have them abuse the hell out of them. My important Empire Armies always get a Warrior Priest and Witch Hunter as soon as I can afford it.

Anyway, Dwarves are special snowflakes, so

Engineers

Level them up for combat, seriously. Engineers have a unique campaign skill tree but it's not great. They get the Wizard's reduce construction cost deployment skill, and can eventually buff map movement as an army embed skill. Everything else they have isn't worth mentioning, even though they get a bit of unique poo poo like +trade goods and - enemy ammo, you're not going to get much use out of any of it.

Runesmith

Runesmiths are basically a mix between Wizard and Spy. They get the default deploy ability of assassins, (- agent success chance) and can learn the guard army ability later on. Otherwise they're basically wizards, though with the ability to double down on reducing corruption and enemy winds of magic.

They are actually the best dwarf agents by a mile, but they're also one of the best combat heroes in the game, so deciding how to skill them up is difficult, to say the least.

Heroes on the Battlefield

More fun then talking about the campaign stuff, if only because it's a bit more varied. Breaking these down by race.

Dwarf Thane

Oh Thane, why you so bad? Now, by default the Thane is about the tankiest hero in the game, with crazy high armor, LD, HP, and magic resistance, however, unlike similar melee heroes they have no unique combat skills and no mounts, so really it's just one slow-rear end dwarf model who never dies but doesn't do anything interesting or improve much with levels. More than anything, they're just the most boring hero in the game.

Dwarf Engineer

Anyone who has played Dwarves know that Engineers are super great, but seriously, they are. Being Dwarves they get that ridiculous 120 armor despite being a ranged sniper. The Engineer's combat tree is split about 50/50 between buffing his own ranged damage and buffing allied ranged units/artillery, definitely lean towards buffing allies. Their one active ability is an aoe buff that massively increases firing speed for nearby units, stick your Engineer in the artillery line and keep mashing that button forever.

Runesmith

Runesmiths are all about maxing the combat tree and spamming their three active runes. One of them gives +15 armor in an aoe, and their ultimate rune provides +44% protection from all damage for about 10 seconds. Dwarves are already incredibly tough, but with a Runesmith providing support they can feel literally unbreakable. Neither of these use winds of magic, so the only limitation is cooldown, and you have a skill that reduces cooldown, so..

They also passively increase allied AP damage like a metal wizard, and have a damage rune that drops a short range aoe spell that...does something presumably. The particle effects for it look like poo poo and I can never tell if it's actually doing damage but it's free and you might as well drop it on something, I guess.

Goblin Big Boss

The Goblin Big Boss is an interesting Combat hero, and by interesting I mean kind of really bad. This is a melee hero with Wizard level HP. Armor, and LD. They have decent melee stats and the duelist skill but even so being a terribly squishy melee only guy is not a great place to be. They also get a 50% missile block shield like normal goblins.

This guy's one saving grace in combat is being able to ride a spider for decent mobility, some extra armor and poison attacks. Also they have vanguard deployment, which is neat I guess. You're not going to be leveling these guys for combat anyway, just don't be surprised when you do take them into battle and they get splattered.

Orc/Goblin Shaman

Are spellcasters, I'm not going to talk about every school of magic because this is already long enough.

Night Goblins are super weak but keep the general Night Gobbo traits of being sneaky, poisonous and having vanguard deployment. They can also eat shrooms to make their spell cooldowns vanish for 33 seconds or so.

Orc Shamans are a bit buffer than your typical weedy wizard and can ride a boar into battle, giving them actually a quite powerful AP charge attack and increased armor.

Empire Captain

Despite being as vanilla melee hero as they come, has two advantages. Can ride a Pegasus obviously, and also gets the "Hold the Line" active ability normally only available to Empire Lords. It's an aoe buff unique to Empire that boosts charge defense so fairly useful.

Warrior Priests

Now, the thing with Warrior Priests is that they start with high LD but low armor and melee defense. They loving love to get themselves killed in auto-resolve, which thankfully is made slightly less painful by their healing skills. As level one heroes, they are trash. As high level heroes with their combat tree topped off they are utterly amazing because all of their active skills are insane.

A fully leveled Warrior Priest can massively buff their own attack rating and physical resistance, drop a 22% physical protection buff that works on them and surrounding allies, call down heavy aoe damage in a radius around them, and greatly bolster leadership of nearby units. In between unlocking all their amazing active skills or super good campaign healing, focus on buffing armor, melee defense, and HP, in that order.

Mounts are an interesting question for WP. The barded warhorse is a huge boost to one of their weakest stats, and the increased movement is good for getting where you need them to be, but OTOH 90% of being an effective Warrior Priests is slogging it out on the frontline with other infantry so I'm not sure it's worth the trade off. Maybe against factions like Vampires with no good anti-large units.

Warrior Priests are kinda weird and hard to level early on because they have the most pronounced power curve of any hero in the game. A high level priest is totally worth it though.

Witch Hunters Like all Assassin type heroes, you're not going to focus much on boosting their combat skills and that's fine. With Witch Hunters all you need is Accuse to melt enemy heroes and you are good to go. Accuse has a fairly long cooldown but the damage it does to single models is massive so abuse the hell out of it.

Otherwise the Witch Hunter is a decent shooting hero, faster than the Engineer but shorter ranged and squishier. If you do level up combat focus on buffing his ranged damage and pick up Slippery for the increased mobility. Witch Hunters are good hero/monster snipers but really bad at fighting normal units, even a pack of hounds is troublesome for him to take on solo so keep him safe.

Empire Wizards

Are Wizards. They can pick up Pegasus at high levels which is always useful for a spellcaster.

Necromancer

Well, Wizards are mediocre agents and Necromancers don't bring any combat spells not available to literally every VC Lord option, so use your freebie Necromancer to reduce construction costs in Sylvania and otherwise get used to sending their useless arses down to the badlands to unlock quest battles. The only thing less useful than a Necromancer Hero is the entirely useless Necromancer Lord. Even their mount option is just an evil horse, because they are the saddest thing.

Wight King

Wight Kings are in a weird place. They are actually stone cold killers on the battlefield with crazy stats, lots of mount options, some unique active buffs, and a 50% missile block shield. OTOH, I'm not sure they're actually stronger fighters than either type of Vampire and they have the Thane's campaign skill tree, so fitting them in can be hard.

Probably the one really good use for a Wight King is guarding Kemmler and his noodly little girl arms, so just name your first Wight King Krell and roll with it.

Banshee

Well, they're an assassin type so obviously battlefield performance is an afterthought. Also they're ethereal, which is a definite +/- situation. All ethereal units do magic damage, btw, which among other things means they do full damage to other ghost types. They inflict terror and have very high AP damage but actually just have a generic spy-type (Slippery, basically) combat tree with nothing particularly interesting about it, so Ghost Hero pretty much sums up everything they bring to the battlefield.

Vampire

Vampires are regenerating Death Lore wizards with solid melee stats and the Warrior Priest's campaign chain combined with the Vampire Lord combat chain. The only thing making them not utterly insane is that you can't skill everything and they only get Hellsteeds instead of Zombie Dragons.

Exalted Hero

Pretty boring (But effective, mind) standard melee hero. The most interesting thing they have going for them is being able to ride a Manticore and having a rare 50% block chance shield.

Chaos Sorcerer

I just want to point out that Sorcerers get 100 armor and decent melee stats because Chaos, on top of having access to some of the strongest magic lores. Only real downside is not getting a flying mount.

And that's my too long effort post about agents.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Exalted heros get a skill that can assault ALL units in a garrison or army that is hilariously effective when upgraded. Do the other versions get that, too?

A large part of my successful chaos campaign was reducing armies by like 1/4 with a hero before attacking them

• Locked thread