Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Have you guys noticed the legendary heroes that chaos gets that you cant assassinate and they just sit there making GBS threads up your lands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tenzarin posted:

Have you guys noticed the legendary heroes that chaos gets that you cant assassinate and they just sit there making GBS threads up your lands?

I could assassinate them just fine. Sent my Empire Commanders around to punch them all in the dick because I hadn't unlocked Witch Hunters yet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I guess I just don't know how you go about learning the minutiae and stuff, I just need some really complicated guide that actually does try to address at least the thought process

The way you get good at strategy and learn the minutiae is "play a lot, learn from it". You are trying to find a shortcut to that process. There isn't one.

By all means read guides or watch videos. But recognize that those are only supplements, they will not remove the requirements of time and study. They will not make a bad player into a good one quickly. Nothing will.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Someone made a mod that lowers agent chances verses the same target turn after turn. https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4me2nm/my_mod_that_drastically_reduces_the_chances_of/

Thinking I want to try this and mainly keep some of the heroes in armies. They seem like a really cool thing to have in the battles. They should raise deployment exp per turn like 3x and neuter hostile action exp, making battles the best form of exp for the agents.

Seriously, wizards are just running around loving poo poo up! If I saw some wizard slamming his staff into the ground, I would totally know he was up to something... not good.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Deptfordx posted:

Actually I think that's almost canon.

I cannot for the life of me remember if it's in one of the main 'End times' books or an associated short story, but it has the forces of Chaos attacking Tilea. This causes the secret Vampire Lord whose lived there for centuries going all 'Screw the Masquerade' and openly throwing down against them.

That sounds actually cool so it couldn't have been End Times.

Dang now I want chill undead even more. Tomb Kings hurry up

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I recently read up on all the Tomb Kings background as I hadn't followed WHFB since before TK had a separate army and dammit now I want them too. Settra is going to be a beast. And you know when we get them we'll get Nagash in some form as well, whether as a quest line or Big Bad or who knows. Knowing now that CA is doing this right makes waiting that much worse!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for the dwarven hero tips! I already discovered that engineers are great, but i'll grab a rune guy as well since that sounds like it would go well with my ranged bunker tactic.

Unrelated, this is my third campaign and in all of them Chaos has more or less beelined for my lands. First game as orks i was new and didn't think about it. Second game as vampires i figured that my position made me the best target. But this time around as heavily entrenched dwarves in the south only, with much better vision of the campaign map due to alliances, i saw Chaos just march through attrition, march past other armies no matter their strength, march past vulnerable settlements all in the name of throwing themselves at me with harmless and beat up stacks.
Don't they need to raze places to replenish/recruit or something? I don't know how Chaos actually works, but regardless it's kind of a letdown that they are so stupid.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I have a hard time telling when my quarrellers/crossbowmen are obstructed and when they're actually able to fire, how far away do they have to be to fire over your own dude's heads?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Also re: the dwarf example, what I'd been doing was starting with the Missile Front formation then trying to basically shoot until people get real near me and then put my dudes in skirmish mode and then charge forward with melee to intercept the guys coming in, is a decent starting tactic?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Angry Lobster posted:

+Money, maybe decrease public order? (blood bowl fans are a bunch of violent psycopaths). Also, have an event pop once in a while, "The Blood Bowl Cup final! Reikland Reavers vs The Chaos All-Stars!", bet on the winner, get bonuses if you win.

Dunno, there's a lot of room for fun there.

Whomever wins gets damaged buildings in their capitol.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It still kind of hurts my brain to think about how they're going to make satisfying installments out of the next two games since it seems like the Old World is definitely the most game friendly in that a number of factions are interacting in relative proximity to each other. Plus they're presumably going to want some type of endgame/end times event happening in both games, but just throwing in chaos again would be pretty dumb and repetitive. Maybe Nagash and skaven? Skaven suddenly popping up out of holes everywhere and loving things up might be pretty cool.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Can't wait for the Bret FLC

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What is the button to bring up all the right hand menu options in a battle? I hit it once accidentally, but I can't remember, and I want to start reducing the flags/trails/etc from my battles.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

So I manage to fight off a decent orc army with minimal garrison in a town... The army goes into retreat mode, I cut it off using underway with another army I have so next turn it can't retreat south. Instead of being trapped between my 2 field armies now, It spawns Grimgor Ironhide into the AI army and goes right back to the town.... So annoying the AI just gets to generate a full health badass general in an army nowhere near its territory.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have a hard time telling when my quarrellers/crossbowmen are obstructed and when they're actually able to fire, how far away do they have to be to fire over your own dude's heads?

I usually set them behind with between half and one unit depth of space in between. This also helps keep them out of melee for longer in case the front group gets overlapped somehow--not that quarrelers can't handle themselves in melee, but if just a few men get engaged in hand to hand the entire unit will not fire.

So in the below example the 8s are melee troops and the 5s are quarrelers, enemy is attacking from the top.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

88888888 88888888
88888888 88888888

55555555 55555555
55555555 55555555

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also re: the dwarf example, what I'd been doing was starting with the Missile Front formation then trying to basically shoot until people get real near me and then put my dudes in skirmish mode and then charge forward with melee to intercept the guys coming in, is a decent starting tactic?

That sounds like a good plan, though when I do it I pull them back manually to keep them in formation and ensure they don't get mixed in with or bog down the melee troops. Also I don't use Missile Front because I worry it may override my orders or reverse them once completed, but I may be wrong here--hence why it's good to experiment. If it's working for you, keep at it. Just watch out for cavalry who are too fast for skirmish mode to be useful.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Magni posted:

Engineers are crazy if you run several units of artillery. Runesmiths can be nice for buffing up a melee line. Thanes I found kinda pointless, given they're more or less babby Lords

Thanes train your troops up! They're profoundly mediocre in actual fighting but one per army is fairly worthwhile.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

What is the button to bring up all the right hand menu options in a battle? I hit it once accidentally, but I can't remember, and I want to start reducing the flags/trails/etc from my battles.

Spacebar. This also shows your units' current orders, I use it mostly for that.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Thanes train your troops up! They're profoundly mediocre in actual fighting but one per army is fairly worthwhile.

Doesn't this require points in an advanced tier skill? Or do they start with training ability?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

rockopete posted:

Spacebar. This also shows your units' current orders, I use it mostly for that.

Doesn't this require points in an advanced tier skill? Or do they start with training ability?

It does. :saddowns:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How often do you guys do like alternate general level up paths?

The middle path always seems WAY better to me, getting +12 attack/defense on all your melee troops seems a lot better than the single general attack buffs (even though those are fun)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Munion posted:

So I manage to fight off a decent orc army with minimal garrison in a town... The army goes into retreat mode, I cut it off using underway with another army I have so next turn it can't retreat south. Instead of being trapped between my 2 field armies now, It spawns Grimgor Ironhide into the AI army and goes right back to the town.... So annoying the AI just gets to generate a full health badass general in an army nowhere near its territory.

You can do this too.

Generals can be replaced in the field.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Units that aren't 'shielded' will take more damage vs ranged attacks. So that's a consideration.

Priority is based on your army. I'm currently playing Dwarves so for me cavalry and flyers need to be taken out before they tie up my ranged and artillery units. Ranged cavalry will try to kite your melee units, so definitely shoot at them.

Shielded guys should go front and center, while great weapon/armor piercing guys attack from the sides. Look at the stats of the units and you can get a good idea of what they do. For example:

Warriors, Longbeards, and Ironbreakers are good at not dying/running away but don't do the most damage. So use them as blockers.

Great axe variants, hammerers, slayers are DPS units but much more vulnerable to getting shot/hit so you want to position them o they don't directly get attacked by the enemy but are close enough to pile in. Remember ap units like these are much more effective against tough armored units and can kill them before they wear down your lone troops.

Since quarrelers can arc their shots you can have them behind line troops. Position them do you won't have to turn them much to maximize the amount of time they are shooting.

Cannons and thunderers need more direct Los so it can be tricky to put them somewhere they'll get a clear shot and not vulnerable to getting rushed.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd like to reiterate that defensively specced/geared Thanes own for tying up groups of enemies that you can fire right into with Irondrakes/Thunderers/Quarrelers/Organ Guns without needing to worry about blasting your own blob of troops, or having your ranged units refuse to fire.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

How often do you guys do like alternate general level up paths?

The middle path always seems WAY better to me, getting +12 attack/defense on all your melee troops seems a lot better than the single general attack buffs (even though those are fun)

I never limit myself to one path, it's usually magic+leadership or combat+leadership so it's just a matter of what I want to skill up first.

Combat early pays off big with some LLs, like Kholek, or Kholek, because Suneater with the + armor and +HP buffs is lol.

quote:

You must first train your Thane in the rigors of life by sending him on all the crappy suicide and world tour quests, and if by chance he survives long enough to learn something worth sharing with the army, then sure I can bring him along. But first, I need you to walk up to the Chaos Wastes and then try to assassinate a random Vampire so the High King can score more sweet loot.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
The real trick with thanes is to get 3 of them the +3 recruits skill, then stack 3 of them in the same region. You will recruit tier 9 troops, and so long as they are queued up, they will build that way over however many turns it takes even if the thanes leave to go do something else.

Ironbreakers and artillery will fill a queue up for like 8 turns, so I spread my buildup over my 3 main provinces.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 4, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

How does Witcher 3 lose to Fallout 4? It has characters and a story I actually give a poo poo about (something very few video games have ever succeeded at for me and certainly not Fallout 4) and doesn't feel nearly as repetitive.
I was barely through the prologue of Witcher 3 and Fallout 3/NV/4 have this incredible power to draw me and make two hundred hours go by in a flash before I get bored and don't even finish the main quest (aside from NV). I like crawling around ruins shooting plasma at things or stomping around in power armour.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

I wish you could tell you allies, "hey I'm gonna go take this province... don't rush in there and steal it from me as Im half a, what is this bullshit why cant I attack this place, step away." It's so annoying to have a red arrow that doesn't even have a line behind it because you are so close to attacking. Just lost 2 greenskin settlements to allies this way, but not quite ready to start a war with fellow dwarves yet. Was trying to absorb any dwarves instead of fighting them, but these Karak Azul fuckers just earned themselves death instead of diplomacy.

*edit* next settlement I'm going for doesn't even have a red arrow... yet somehow still out of attacking range.

Munion fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 4, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Yardbomb posted:

Nagash and Settra factions when, I want to play the cursed undead with cool guy leaders and not that weenie Mannfred.
Oh man if people think Manfred and Sigvald are overpowered just wait until the expansion that adds Nagash. That's assuming they fix magic to scale with unit size.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'm almost in Tilea so that's about as bad as waiting in encamp stance. Is that really the only way?

Pay Greenskins (and Topknots and any others if they're still around) to become your vassal and use their turf to replenish. I'd say ally with the vampires too but even getting a defensive alliance was hard and they tend to make a huge part of the map a big zone of attrition where you suddenly hyper-replenish if encamped :confuoot:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 4, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Mazz posted:

The real trick with thanes is to get 3 of them the +3 recruits skill, then stack 3 of them in the same region. You will recruit tier 9 troops, and so long as they are queued up, they will build that way over however many turns it takes even if the thanes leave to go do something else.

Ironbreakers and artillery will fill a queue up for like 8 turns, so I spread my buildup over my 3 main provinces.

Does experience make that much of a difference? I'm not sure I've ever even looked at a unit card to see what / how much it changes. Each rank increases leadership and melee attack / defence, right?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

MORE LIKE THE EVER-DUMBASS

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Does experience make that much of a difference? I'm not sure I've ever even looked at a unit card to see what / how much it changes. Each rank increases leadership and melee attack / defence, right?

Yes, but also weapon damage for ranged units, weirdly enough. quarrelers at rank 9 with full buffs from a lord+engineer hit for over 50 a shot.

I'm really torn between quarrelers and thunderers btw, they both have their advantages. Quarrelers fully buffed shoot like machine guns and don't really care about positioning nearly as much as Thunderers do, but thunderers with clean angles hit like a god drat train.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 4, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Nagash and Settra factions when, I want to play the cursed undead with cool guy leaders and not that weenie Mannfred.

The only faction left is Tomb Kings and Nagash makes no sense to be a legendary lord as Tomb Kings despise him.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

RentACop posted:

HE JUST RETREATED THROUGH THREE ZONES OF CONTROL DEATH TO CREATIVE ASSEMBLY

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

RentACop posted:

Isn't this basically Storm of Chaos in one picture?

Hunt11 posted:

The only faction left is Tomb Kings and Nagash makes no sense to be a legendary lord as Tomb Kings despise him.

TKs don't need Nagash. They have SETTRA.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'd say that the important thing in battle is to understand morale. Look and see which enemy units are tittering on the edge of a rout and push them over it.

I don't tend to send out my Lord to duel with theirs unless I am sure mine can win quickly (or they are some anti-infantry monster that my Lord can occupy the attention of). There's so many other, better things I can be doing.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Sending Franz on Deathclaw to mulch the oppponents' lovely lords is way more satisfying than it should be. When he's specialized for combat he'll kill a standard lord in like 20 seconds, it's hilarious

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fans posted:

Your own agents can assassinate them.

All agents can assassinate, just some get more upgrades to help it be successful than others.

Well yeah that's what I meant by speccing them. I could have been more clear I admit but given that he was complaining about enemy agents in the first place, and the most annoying thing they do is assassinate your dudes, I assumed he already knew assassination was a thing but was struggling with the low base chance of success.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Are there any good LPs of VCs, so I can try and get a handle on them? I learn way better through watching than reading.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

I'd say that the important thing in battle is to understand morale. Look and see which enemy units are tittering on the edge of a rout and push them over it.

I don't tend to send out my Lord to duel with theirs unless I am sure mine can win quickly (or they are some anti-infantry monster that my Lord can occupy the attention of). There's so many other, better things I can be doing.

What kinds of other better things does your Lord typically do?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Thanks for razing the capital city in Desolation of Nagash for me, Waaagh! army. Totally wasn't planning on using that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Aeons back someone mentioned Dwarf gold making being insane but I was not prepared. Jesus. I cleansed the land of the Greenskins. All of the Greenskins. Also wiped out Border Princes as they attacked my lil Barak buddy. Now I spent turns just building and finding the anti chaos war effort. Through tons of diplomacy, trading and INSANE contributions all the non evil races love me. Funded the entire war effort versus a ludicrous chaos push and only fought a few solitary Chaos heroes. Now I head North to finish the job the weedy oomies couldnt do. Dwarves fully tiered up are insane. Batteries upon batteries of ranged death and my only real worry with micro is against heavily mounted armies. Even then I still gun them down. Once I passed the hump this has been a breeze. Empire next.

One question: if I attached a hero (like a Runepriest or Engineer) can I remove them from the regiment to go wander around solo for a bit? I tried right clicking and/ or shift and it accomplishes gently caress all. There is something simple I bet. Such a brilliant game. Just hope Skaven come soon. I NEED some skaven army time in my life.

• Locked thread