Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
i like clicking on pop buttons in v1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also FYI I banned satanism in Ireland in the new one and got a popularity boost. So that's all Working As Intended

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

corn in the bible posted:

Also FYI I banned satanism in Ireland in the new one and got a popularity boost. So that's all Working As Intended

Wonder what happens if you ban satanism in Norway.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

Wonder what happens if you ban satanism in Norway.

-10% price for electric guitar trade goods

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

On the topic of Victoria II, I've been trying to get the New World Order mod to run but it keeps crashing whenever I select a country. I've deleted the map cache everywhere I can find over and over again but it keeps crashing at the "Loading History" point. The main game works and so does NNM, it's just this one mod. Did I forget to download something with it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kavak posted:

On the topic of Victoria II, I've been trying to get the New World Order mod to run but it keeps crashing whenever I select a country. I've deleted the map cache everywhere I can find over and over again but it keeps crashing at the "Loading History" point. The main game works and so does NNM, it's just this one mod. Did I forget to download something with it?

I've been playing that too, and I didn't have that problem at least. Did you download the latest nightly from github? https://github.com/simsulla/nwomod because thats what I did and it loads fine (though if you play as france or england it'll still crash if you try to release any nations).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Victoria II is the pinnacle of Janky strategy games. Paradox has yet to, and probably won't, top it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I've been playing that too, and I didn't have that problem at least. Did you download the latest nightly from github? https://github.com/simsulla/nwomod because thats what I did and it loads fine (though if you play as france or england it'll still crash if you try to release any nations).

I tried that and it still crashes at the same point. I wish Victoria 2 had a debug log like Darkest Hour's, the error log is blank.

EDIT: The flags in Victoria 2 vanilla are messed up, but NNM runs fine so I don't know why it's affecting the other mod.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 4, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/738463579112886272

Someone doesn't want the HoI4 launch to tank their shareholder value

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

GaussianCopula posted:

Or someone wants to inflate their sales figures and has something to hide. Either way, a suspect move to say the least.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mackintosh posted:

Or someone wants to inflate their sales figures and has something to hide. Either way, a suspect move to say the least.

Equating owners with sales has the impact of massively inflating sales figures and that's what Paradox are complaining about - people look at steam_spy and then get an unrealistic impression of their business.

e: \/\/ the steam price is not the price everyone pays by a very long shot

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 4, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Equating owners with sales has the impact of massively inflating sales figures and that's what Paradox are complaining about - people look at steam_spy and then get an unrealistic impression of their business.

I don't get it, other than unredeemed gifts isn't the relationship 1:1?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It doesn't calculate if a game was sold under a sale or not, I assume.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Alchenar posted:

e: \/\/ the steam price is not the price everyone pays by a very long shot

But Steamspy only states that there are "x owners of game y on steam".

It's not like anyone suggests that every single unit of the game was sold for the regular US-Steam price?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
After Seeing Sabaton live yesterday I demand a music DLC for HoI4 and ask them to make some Clausewitz engine songs, thanks!
Making some event references with them would be cool as hell too, they are good people.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tahirovic posted:

After Seeing Sabaton live yesterday I demand a music DLC for HoI4 and ask them to make some Clausewitz engine songs, thanks!
Making some event references with them would be cool as hell too, they are good people.

It's already been unofficially leaked that there will be a Sabaton music DLC. Hell they even have a (good) song called Hearts of Iron already.

But really though, just queue up their albums in Spotify for free while you play like normal people do.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

GaussianCopula posted:

But Steamspy only states that there are "x owners of game y on steam".

It's not like anyone suggests that every single unit of the game was sold for the regular US-Steam price?

I'm pretty sure the idea here is "people are too stupid to understand the data properly, so we're taking it away from them".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Steam Stats are mostly benign, this is indeed suspicious and it is most likely to have greater control of the data provided to shareholders.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

TheMcD posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea here is "people are too stupid to understand the data properly, so we're taking it away from them".

What harm is created by people interpreting the data wrongly though that warrants the removal?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

What harm is created by people interpreting the data wrongly though that warrants the removal?

It's just narrative control.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GaussianCopula posted:

Uh, when people make commercial decisions based on that data that impacts Paradox?

This isn't hard to grasp.

e: I mean literally any business anywhere would be concerned about someone putting out inaccurate information about their turnover.

e2: moreover Sergey understands this which is why he agreed to remove the Paradox info when he was under literally no obligation to do so.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 4, 2016

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Shams Jorjani tweeted something about knowing people who have actually put together serious business plans that end up flawed because they are based on steam spy data.

So it's all perfectly understandable right about now.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
People sometimes interpret information incorrectly. The reasonable response to this is to restrict access to information. Hmmm....

Also lol at everybody who said going public wouldn't negatively impact pdx's games *shoves a hotly anticipated (but half finished) game out the door a week before the IPO* lol

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 4, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Oberleutnant posted:

Also lol at everybody who said going public wouldn't negatively impact pdx's games *shoves a hotly anticipated (but half finished) game out the door a week before the IPO* lol

Which as we all know has never been a problem for Paradox releases in the past.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Which as we all know has never been a problem for Paradox releases in the past.

The whole story of paradox in the last few years was them cleaning their act up and releasing stable, functioning games that didn't require months of patches just to get working to the minimum acceptable standard.

I been playing these games since ck1, I remember the bad old days.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
And there is no difference now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The national focus trees in hoi4 are so obviously designed to shove dlc into....

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oberleutnant posted:

The whole story of paradox in the last few years was them cleaning their act up and releasing stable, functioning games that didn't require months of patches just to get working to the minimum acceptable standard.

I been playing these games since ck1, I remember the bad old days.

They did got better, but most DLCs (at least for CK2) still always ship with broken stuff, awful bugs and terrible unbalances, and require a patch or 2 to be really in shape

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Jesus christ some of you people need some serious tinfoil hats! You're seriously reading way too much into a fairly benign move pretty much solely to vilify Paradox, they're not exactly the devil you know?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The national focus trees in hoi4 are so obviously designed to shove dlc into....

You could say the same of national ideas in Europa 4.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gort posted:

You could say the same of national ideas in Europa 4.

Yes. Though national ideas in eu4 did not replace the entire decision system

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oscarthewilde posted:

Jesus christ some of you people need some serious tinfoil hats! You're seriously reading way too much into a fairly benign move pretty much solely to vilify Paradox, they're not exactly the devil you know?
I'm pretty sure it's a combination of factors which, put together, people are reading into.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Yes. Though national ideas in eu4 did not replace the entire decision system

i think gort's point is that all of the national ideas in eu4 are free patch features, so maybe it's a bit too soon to assume that the similar hoi4 national focus trees will be paid content.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox removed their games from SteamSpy tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They've said national focuses are gonna be paid DLC (mostly at least), they're a lot more work than idea groups.

Not really seeing the problem though. It doesn't have the TW issue where when they release it as DLC the country gets locked out of modding.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kaiserreich's national focuses will not be paid DLC :smug:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

GaussianCopula posted:

Paradox's response to this is "Steam Spy isn't accurate"

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Kavak posted:

Kaiserreich's national focuses will not be paid DLC :smug:

Any estimate on when work will start on Kaiserreich II? Or is that up to other developers as well?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Any estimate on when work will start on Kaiserreich II? Or is that up to other developers as well?

It's technically already begun, but it's just people who got into the beta who offered to help- I imagine things like the map will be done fairly quick after game release, but god knows how long the focus trees will take. A lot of the older developers are probably going to stick with Darkest Hour, but lore work should translate pretty much 1:1 between the versions. For my part, I have to get a serious computer upgrade before I can even play HoI IV- anybody got about a thousand dollars they can spare? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PleasingFungus posted:

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox removed their games from SteamSpy tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Same, even though I've never even heard of steam spy before reading about it here