Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

DmitriX posted:

Well, since 0.13 ain't happenin for a while i restarted my server in a new game. It already has a bit of infra setup from the get-go to avoid that whole mining phase.
The details can be found right in the nearby forum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777542

No bobmods this time round so it's mostly vanilla with helpers.

Spent a fair amount of the wee morning hours (I work overnights) building up; close to cracking by hand! Opt into the 12.35 beta and spend some time, goony-goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Platystemon posted:

I can only imagine the size of a resource patch that would warrant eight wagons.

It's a function of size and also distance. If the patch is twice as far away, then you get twice the resources per trip.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

chairface posted:

Really useful engines do as they're told.

Someone make a Factorio Thomas The Tank Engine mod, tia.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

M_Gargantua posted:

Two locomotives facing the same way followed by 8 wagons. One way track and often two lanes each direction.

Acceptable. Though having to build an end station for something like that is a rather heavy investment in space and resources.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For those who didn't read the blog, they're actually implementing separate bogies that the train chassis sits on so it looks better going around curves.
gifv link < Is there a way to embed this?

fakeedit: actually it looks a little weird

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Acceptable. Though having to build an end station for something like that is a rather heavy investment in space and resources.

Couldn't you have a long train but a short platform with multiple sequential stops past the platform, so it unloads 2 or 4 cars at a time?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You could, yeah, but then why have the long train in the first place? Your stations would have greater uptime with more trains of a size matching the unloading footprint.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ambaire posted:

For those who didn't read the blog, they're actually implementing separate bogies that the train chassis sits on so it looks better going around curves.
gifv link < Is there a way to embed this?

Just paste the link and either let the URL be parsed automatically or surround it in URL tags yourself. It won't show on preview.

http://i.imgur.com/Z6Oq0Ob.gifv

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb7LvUnx_8s

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Platystemon posted:

Just paste the link and either let the URL be parsed automatically or surround it in URL tags yourself. It won't show on preview.

http://i.imgur.com/Z6Oq0Ob.gifv

Great, now they need to implement multitrack drifting.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Has anyone done a planets mod yet? Different climates and stuff? Would be cool to try a tropical planet or arctic hellhole.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Apocadall posted:

Has anyone done a planets mod yet? Different climates and stuff? Would be cool to try a tropical planet or arctic hellhole.

That would require new mechanics tho, which is hard enough to do now. Maybe later it would be possible..

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

DmitriX posted:

That would require new mechanics tho, which is hard enough to do now. Maybe later it would be possible..

An easy difference would be to have different ambient water temperatures, so arctic planet would take more boilers for the same engines and tropical would take fewer. Not very exciting, though. I guess you could apply it to furnaces, too. Take more energy to smelt.

Edit: maybe on tropical everything rusts and corrodes with a random chance for each part to become damaged or destroyed, and then there would be oiled versions of things that prevent rust/corrosion.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

DmitriX posted:

I think part of the foundation for it is there. I remember seeing wind speed and direction in the API for parts of the map, and maybe temperature and elevation? My memory could be way off. But parts of it are in game!

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Mr. Powers posted:

An easy difference would be to have different ambient water temperatures, so arctic planet would take more boilers for the same engines and tropical would take fewer. Not very exciting, though. I guess you could apply it to furnaces, too. Take more energy to smelt.

Edit: maybe on tropical everything rusts and corrodes with a random chance for each part to become damaged or destroyed, and then there would be oiled versions of things that prevent rust/corrosion.

I was more just thinking a change of color to a warmer or cooler palette would be interesting.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Apocadall posted:

I was more just thinking a change of color to a warmer or cooler palette would be interesting.

If you just want to change colors, there are mods that do that, like Happy Factorio. They're a huge amount of effort though.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Something like corrosion would be a giant unfun pain in the rear end that would get modded out so fast by all but the most :spergin:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I was thinking of putting my industrial electricity experience to use by making a more realistic and complex electrical distribution setup. Where you getting better local area distribution (Underground service distribution) but have to build transformers and breakers in an actual substation to raise or lower the voltage for distance transmission. Or risk putting too much power through certain lines and causing brownouts/blackouts/fires.

To micromanagey? I think there are a type of people who would enjoy that.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

M_Gargantua posted:

So I was thinking of putting my industrial electricity experience to use by making a more realistic and complex electrical distribution setup. Where you getting better local area distribution (Underground service distribution) but have to build transformers and breakers in an actual substation to raise or lower the voltage for distance transmission. Or risk putting too much power through certain lines and causing brownouts/blackouts/fires.

That sounds like a great idea to me, another level of logistics to deal with that isn't just more belts or pipes, that is semi realistic and ties in with the other systems.

Maybe too finicky for some people but thats what mods ate for

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

One of the things that I enjoy about factorio is that (bugs aside) when things fall over, you don't lose anything except subsequent production. Like, if your coal mine runs out, your power goes, which means everything stops working - but if you funnel some more coal in there, everything starts churning back up. Nothing is lost, and there's no actual time pressure to get the power back - if I'd rather have my whole factory sitting powerless while I actually fix my coal supply Properly This Time, that's fine.
I think that fires and actually losing part of your factory to that sort of thing would go contrary to that and it would frustrate the hell out of me.

Aside from that, making electricity distribution another layer of logistical hurdle after basic electricity production sounds sweet.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I'd be interested in that extra complexity if it doesn't become overbearing. I don't want to spend 30mins setting up a new outpost's power. But I'll play with dropping a few puzzle pieces a little while if it can power the whole area.

I like a lot of bobs mod but almost 40% of it is tedious fluff.

sink
Sep 10, 2005

gerby gerb gerb in my mouf

awesmoe posted:

One of the things that I enjoy about factorio is that (bugs aside) when things fall over, you don't lose anything except subsequent production. Like, if your coal mine runs out, your power goes, which means everything stops working - but if you funnel some more coal in there, everything starts churning back up. Nothing is lost, and there's no actual time pressure to get the power back - if I'd rather have my whole factory sitting powerless while I actually fix my coal supply Properly This Time, that's fine.
I think that fires and actually losing part of your factory to that sort of thing would go contrary to that and it would frustrate the hell out of me.

Aside from that, making electricity distribution another layer of logistical hurdle after basic electricity production sounds sweet.

I agree with this philosophy entirely. While building these hugely complex factories I often think about how ridiculous it is that there is no maintenance required -- nothing ever breaks down. And then I think about how unfun it would be to play a maintenance game. This goes well with the zero cost of doing experiments. If you don't like how you built something, you get all of your resources back, for free! It encourages exploration and experimentation, the most fun parts of the game.

There is a decaying force that grows more challenging: the Biters. I really like that they are the only destructive force in the world. You can turn them off, make them passive, or dial up the volume. But there is a nice conceptual neatness to the notion that there is exactly one concept for an uncontrollable destructive force. If you want to make destruction more sophisticated and intelligent, you have one place to go.

That's not to say you couldn't add complexity through more involved power systems. You could certainly add temporal effects like weather patterns (especially since there is precedent with day/night cycles). Pipes could freeze which would block input to boilers and shut down your whole factory. It would just not be destructive.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I recently worked out a way of doing blue circuits in Bob's Mod that I really like.

Each blue circuit is almost completely self sufficient so the only thing that needs to be belted in is soldering wire. This makes the layout almost infinitely tileable and when you need more throughput than a single lane can provide, you can mirror them on the far side of the belt with its own soldering wire belt. Best of all, the whole thing is very compact.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

LLSix posted:

I recently worked out a way of doing blue circuits in Bob's Mod that I really like.

Each blue circuit is almost completely self sufficient so the only thing that needs to be belted in is soldering wire. This makes the layout almost infinitely tileable and when you need more throughput than a single lane can provide, you can mirror them on the far side of the belt with its own soldering wire belt. Best of all, the whole thing is very compact.

Why are you not using the Electronics specialty assembler?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

M_Gargantua posted:

I’d try that mod. I like managing electricity.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Platystemon posted:

I’d try that mod. I like managing electricity.

Plus the idea of "make spare power lines a crude and improvised defense vs biters and spitters" sounds cool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
At one point, I was annoyed with LASER turrets’ idle power consumption, so I set out to do something about it.

I got the idea to use widely‐spaced single turrets as “sentries”. These were all wired together on their own power network.

The key is that there is just barely enough power available on this network to sate the sentry turrets’ power consumption. The moment one of them fires, it puts the network in brownout.

We can detect brownouts, using a circuit similar to the one commonly used to start steam engines when accumulators discharge. Inserters have lower priority than turrets, so the sentry‐network inserter dies while the independently‐powered one does not, leading to an abnormal quantity in a smart chest that is the cue to power the main line of turrets.

Unfortunately, till 0.13 hits, the way to switch power on or off at will is steam power. By using pumps as valves, this can be done quickly. The problem I had is that before firing, every turret in the line has to have its internal capacitor charged, and that takes a shed load of energy. They can charge at 2.4 MW, but that’s a lot of steam engines. With one steam engine per turret, that still takes more than a second.

That’s manageable, but I still had this huge field of boilers, steam engines, and fuel distribution sitting there, burning vast quantities of fuel every time a biter wandered by. They saved a little fuel vs. pure, dumb steam power, but it was simpler to connect the turrets to my main network, take the idle hit, and slap down more solar panels and accumulators.

With 0.13, though, I’ll be able to use the same sentry turret idea, but have it throw a relay to connect the turrets to the main network. With every accumulator in the factory putting out 300 kW, charge time won’t be an issue, and there’s no coal consumption or underutilised investment in steam engines.

†You can do this by using the right number of steam engines, but what I did was abuse the ability of accumulators to bridge networks, as well as their 300 kW discharge limitation. I made a steam/solar network (no accumulators), then bridged it to the sentry network with one accumulator for every twelve sentry turrets (288 kW idle draw). So with the accumulator(s) charging and immediately discharging at their full rate of 300 kW, idle consumption was met, but any more than that (after a turret fired) and they couldn’t keep up.

tl;dr: This all sounds pretty complicated, I’m sure. When 0.13 comes out and the concept becomes practical, I’ll take some screenshots to illustrate it.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 7, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's exactly the kind of poo poo I like to tinker with too, so it sounds awesome to me. Spent 2-3 days in minecraft to get my reactor to produce the exact right amount of steam for my turbine to spin at 1800rpm, and the turbine to have a constant 1800rpm (max efficiency) regardless of the power draw.

All so I could save some resources while still have all the power at will.

The most I've done in factorio yet is have one of those "accumulators are dead" circuits, though I'm sure I'll build more once I get back to playing.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

When people manage the rocket literally within the same thread page that's....wow. Just wow.
Now I'm seriously considering what to do.
I don't want to start a long game with grognard mods, when v13 i just round the corner, but then again keeping the server in a game-end mode is not a particulary useful way of going forward. What should i do even....

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

DmitriX posted:

When people manage the rocket literally within the same thread page that's....wow. Just wow.
I don't want to start a long game with grognard mods, when v13 i just round the corner, but then again keeping the server in a game-end mode is not a particulary useful way of going forward. What should i do even....

Start a new game and mod out logistics bots. :unsmigghh:

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Chunjee posted:

Start a new game and mod out logistics bots. :unsmigghh:

and add that mod that hurts you when you craft anything by hand or do mining? I mean challenge mods are fine and all but well.
I might consider doing it if a few more people sign up for that.
EDIT: screw it, started a new UNSTABLE GROUND game.
Have fun building a base in this one!
As this mode is extra rear end, extra base-building supplies have been prodided.
The link is the same as ever
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777542&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Regallion fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 7, 2016

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

DmitriX posted:

You mean all the work we did and the multiple ion-cannons I had planned to launch are all scrapped now? :(

Hopefully you tuned down the biters a little bit for this go-round?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Biters are set to low, unstable ground is rear end enough.
If ya want a save with all the work, i can send it to you, so you can do everything you want single-player.
It is just that i checked the access logs, and found that literally nobody logged in 'cept you so. Besides there wasn't much left to do
I don't think it is possible to have a server run several games concurrently, which is why i had to scrap it. Anyone wishing to host however is free to do so.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 8, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DmitriX posted:

I don't think it is possible to have a server run several games concurrently, which is why i had to scrap it. Anyone wishing to host however is free to do so.

You can run multiple instances of the server with different config files. So multiple games on different ports.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Eh, the autosaves mean I have it on mine, too. The ion cannon was actually less impressive than I thought it was going to be; you need to launch like 10 or 15 of them to start clearing the number of biters we had, really.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

You can run multiple instances of the server with different config files. So multiple games on different ports.
Interesting. I'll try it outwhen i get ho,e from work, but idk if my server can handle that without exloding.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Okay, Unstable ground is .. interesting. So, you can't place stone down. So I'm churning through research to concrete to see if I can place that and expand the building area. If not, holy gently caress I'm not sure I even want to touch that until v13.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

Okay, Unstable ground is .. interesting. So, you can't place stone down. So I'm churning through research to concrete to see if I can place that and expand the building area. If not, holy gently caress I'm not sure I even want to touch that until v13.

From what I read of the Unstable Ground mod, you can only put concrete on stone patches.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DelphiAegis posted:

Mod says you can't put down concrete either. You can put down belts and train tracks between stone areas though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

You won't get to touch it after, as all mods will go kaput at it's launch.
Besides, which feature of v13 would make restricted building space easier to handle?

EDIT:
That said, once i get a few more hours to put into it, this will be a most interesting building exercise.
I might even have to actually train around refined liquids, which is not a thing you do in normal factorio. That almost sounds exciting.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 9, 2016