Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sentient Toaster posted:

OH BOY.

Today is the release of update 100. The biggest change is a total revamp of all the skill trees. They are more coherent and generally more fun. Everyone has access to a grenade and a sniper rifle regardless of DLC owned. Characters have been added. Perk decks have been added. The ammo you gain from enemy pickups has apparently been reduced quite a bit.

Goddamn. There is also a sequel in the works as well. This has been quite a year for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Since I'd like to not go in completely blind and gently caress it up, what would be helpful to know for Siren: Blood Curse (Episodes 1-12)?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Just about to load GTA V (because I'm so ahead of the curve) any advice on what to do first? I don't mind spoilers as I'd still enjoy watching it play out. It's on ps3 if that makes a difference.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

MisterGBH posted:

Just about to load GTA V (because I'm so ahead of the curve) any advice on what to do first? I don't mind spoilers as I'd still enjoy watching it play out. It's on ps3 if that makes a difference.

There's advice floating around about the assassination missions and when exactly is a good time to get around to them and what to do before you do. It's really good advice unless you like your characters to be broke in perpetuity.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

None of the businesses you can buy are really worth it, they generate income but it's so little that even making your initial investment back would take longer than you'll probably play the game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

My Lovely Horse posted:

None of the businesses you can buy are really worth it, they generate income but it's so little that even making your initial investment back would take longer than you'll probably play the game.

Which means you'd better be a billionaire by the time you finish the assassination missions if you don't want to wait the rest of your life to buy all the stuff.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Which means you'd better be a billionaire by the time you finish the assassination missions if you don't want to wait the rest of your life to buy all the stuff.

I actually gave up on GTA V because it's too much of a hassle to afford anything.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

juliuspringle posted:

I actually gave up on GTA V because it's too much of a hassle to afford anything.

Dunno what platform you're on, but can't you just use Cheat Engine for cash on PC? Haven't played the game so I don't know if Rockstar somehow found a way around that.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Eldred posted:

Dunno what platform you're on, but can't you just use Cheat Engine for cash on PC? Haven't played the game so I don't know if Rockstar somehow found a way around that.

Picked it up for PS3 on Black Friday. I actually managed to get enough to buy the towing company and go legit but then I found out only Franklin can use it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
haven't played gnomoria in a very long time and forgot a lot of what i knew and also there's stuff that just plain didn't exist when i was playing before

i think i heard it's at stable release now? what should i know

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for the Witcher 3 DLCs?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

RatHat posted:

Anything for the Witcher 3 DLCs?

Not super far in Blood and Wine, but I've wrapped Heart of Stone.

Heart of Stone: really nothing you need to know, just dive in and have fun. There is a new rune merchant who will require a significant cash investment, so you will want to start saving.

Blood and Wine: Play through the main quests until you're done with the treasure hunt in the garden to unlock a couple new features.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eldred posted:

Not super far in Blood and Wine, but I've wrapped Heart of Stone.

Heart of Stone: really nothing you need to know, just dive in and have fun. There is a new rune merchant who will require a significant cash investment, so you will want to start saving.

Blood and Wine: Play through the main quests until you're done with the treasure hunt in the garden to unlock a couple new features.
is the runesmith actually worth it? I have him at level 2 and the only worthwhile rune seems to be the one that turns Whirl into a ridiculous tornado of anime death. Haven't seen any for the armor yet so I'm disinclined to drop 15k on him

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

As spoiler free as possible because I just started, is there a moral system for Remember Me?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is the runesmith actually worth it? I have him at level 2 and the only worthwhile rune seems to be the one that turns Whirl into a ridiculous tornado of anime death. Haven't seen any for the armor yet so I'm disinclined to drop 15k on him

Dunno what your build is but the level 3 sign ones were pretty effective, one of them makes enemies killed with Igni explode. I also happened to already have the cash since the only things worth buying are recipes and ingredients, can't speak to whether it's worth grinding for money.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

juliuspringle posted:

As spoiler free as possible because I just started, is there a moral system for Remember Me?

Not that I remember, no. It's just got one ending.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

juliuspringle posted:

None what-so-ever, but the "remix"-sequences (you'll know it when they happen) have several alternative 'endings'. You still have to get the correct one to procede with the story.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Renoistic posted:

None what-so-ever, but the "remix"-sequences (you'll know it when they happen) have several alternative 'endings'. You still have to get the correct one to procede with the story.

I figured that out in the first one, I was just worried there was a moral system because it felt like I was inadvertently being a gigantic rear end in a top hat. I did use the machine that goes PING! though which I'm assuming was a reference/easter egg.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

juliuspringle posted:

I figured that out in the first one, I was just worried there was a moral system because it felt like I was inadvertently being a gigantic rear end in a top hat. I did use the machine that goes PING! though which I'm assuming was a reference/easter egg.

All the characters in the game have a "flexible" sense of morality (they're all assholes). The characters being pretty much universally unlikable was one of my biggest beefs with the game (I've still beaten it twice though).

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 6, 2016

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Eldred posted:

Dunno what your build is but the level 3 sign ones were pretty effective, one of them makes enemies killed with Igni explode. I also happened to already have the cash since the only things worth buying are recipes and ingredients, can't speak to whether it's worth grinding for money.

Counterpoint to my own advice: if you plan on playing through Blood and Wine right after Heart of Stone and are using upgradeable Witcher gear (which you should be), hold off on adding runes until you have grandmaster gear. Upgrading runed items removes the rune and glyphs, so you'll need to re-add them. Upgrading non-runed items retains the glyphs.

Also, grandmaster gear is expensive, so you'll likely want to save for it.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Anything for Steamworld Heist? Doesn't look like a page even exists for it on the wiki.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

HairyManling posted:

Anything for Steamworld Heist? Doesn't look like a page even exists for it on the wiki.

Just that it's loving badass for real.

But more to the point, focusing on party members who get to chain multiple actions is very effective.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Anything for Shogun 2: Total War aimed at total newcomers to the series?

(Would also appreciate to know if unit sizes affect anything mechanically.)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm playing Mass Effect with a straight up soldier build, and it seems really clear to me that I want to have Tali and Liara as my companions, so I get a squad with a good mix of abilities. Am I missing something obvious that means this is a bad idea?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Scientastic posted:

I'm playing Mass Effect with a straight up soldier build, and it seems really clear to me that I want to have Tali and Liara as my companions, so I get a squad with a good mix of abilities. Am I missing something obvious that means this is a bad idea?

You can substitute switch Liara for Wrex or Tali for Garrus if you like them more. The important thing is having someone with the skills to open all the locked stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scientastic posted:

Tali and Liara are really cool fun characters so you should use them even if they aren't an ideal build :thumbsup:

But nah using their abilities should be pretty ideal too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It should be noted that, while effective, soldier is without a doubt the most boring way to play Mass Effect, so give some consideration to doing another playthrough as another class once you finish this one.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Tali and Liara are cool as hell.

About the lockpicking stuff, Electronics and Decryption are the skills you need. Tali has both available from the get-go, while Liara only has Electronics and only after putting some points into First Aid. My advice would be to have Tali focus on Decryption while having Liara beeline to First Aid 4 to unlock Electronics and let her take that occasionally after. On the plus side, both of these skills have combat applications as well, so they aren't totally useless point sinks; Electronics expands shield size (shield size being especially useful for a squishy scientist), improves Mako repairs, and gives the shield-wrecking Overload skill while Decryption gives the weapon-deactivating Sabotage skill and also increasing all Tech skills' damage.

If you're aiming for getting Liara's companion achievement (and you should, it improves Stasis and Barrier recharge times which are Adept bread and butter), get through the initial Citadel bit as quick as possible skipping all the side stuff, go out and recruit her, and then come back. Not doing this runs the risk of simply running out of missions to do before unlocking it, making it very difficult to get in one playthrough. Companion achievements usually unlock in the back quarter of the game.

As a Soldier you'll mostly be using Immunity, and then hitting Adrenaline Burst to reset the cooldown on Immunity so you can use Immunity again. It's not terribly interesting, but it is effective.

They also get to specialize in any/all of the weapons. My long-term advice is to focus on Assault Rifles to the point where you unlock the related achievement. Doing this lets any future playthrough take the Assault Rifle line as a bonus regardless of their class, which is great for Engineers and Adepts who can only specialize in Pistols, and Sentinels who get to specialize in jack poo poo. If you already know you don't care about future playthroughs, then assault rifles and pistols are both pretty good options.

Lastly, Soldiers are the only class that gets to wear heavy armor, which means you and Ashley are the only characters in the whole game that can wear it. Since you aren't focusing on her, you should literally or metaphorically liquefy any heavy armor you come across that sucks more than what you are wearing right then.

There's a bunch more tips over on the wiki!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Any tips for DmC: Devil May Cry?

Am I crazy or did they change how Stinger works? I thought it was back-forward and not forward-forward. Also I guess there's no healing orbs, either?

I've never been good at these games.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Mayor McCheese posted:

Am I crazy or did they change how Stinger works? I thought it was back-forward and not forward-forward. Also I guess there's no healing orbs, either?

At least in 1-3 it was lock on+forward (once)+attack. Dunno otherwise but I heard the game's easier than its predecessors.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah Stinger classically was Forward+(Triangle, or Circle for DMC1).

DmC is a redesign by a different company and so it plays pretty heavily different to all the other ones in the series. Its an okay action game but I really hate the changes they made and the story is unbelievably bad. The controls are highly different, there's no lock on, and the style system is changed enough that its very easy to cheese your way to SSS. (just don't get hit really)

The biggest thing to know is the game really wants you to use one weapon against some enemies and another weapon against others, and you really have to do it. I think its pretty clear, but don't even try to go against the grain on it; that's how its designed to be played and by the end of the game its impossible to kill most enemies otherwise.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Mayor McCheese posted:

Yes and no. Stinger's movement got changed because of the removal of lock-on, and health is from green orbs, which should be dropping sometimes from enemies or the environment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Are you playing the remaster of DmC or vanilla? Hopefully its the re-master since it cleans up quite a bit of the more glaring mechanical issues the base game had.

Regardless, the only real combat tip you need to beat the game is to know that the Axe is God, but you'll likely figure that out on your own as it deals the most damage of all your weapons.

The scythe weapon whose name eludes me has a technique called "Prop". If you're in Vanilla "Prop" is basically a free-counter hit on 90% of enemies allowing you to follow up with a poo poo wrecking. If you're in remaster, sorry, you've got to time this a lot better.

Don't feel like you need to finish a Secret Room on your first try. You can access any that you've found again from a separate menu so if you're stuck on one you can finish up the level and just do the room later. Here's a more pressing trick the game doesn't mention, secret room difficulty is tied to the last difficulty you played at and the enemies contained within do scale. If you're having a tough time with a secret room that involves combat, boot up a mission on the easiest difficulty, quit out, and then try the secret room from the menu.

If you're using a guide to locate all the various gubbins the game throws out, be aware a few items had their placements rotated between Vanilla and Remaster. Nothing as outrageous as whole new areas, but it might be enough to mess with you if you're relying on a guide to point it out for you.

In terms of skill upgrades, Axe upgrades should take priority, as should any upgrade that grants you more mobility options.

If you're playing Vanilla, you're not allowed to beat the final boss unless you devil trigger prior to delivering the final blow. The game doesn't indicate this at all. This is not the case in the remaster.

You'll be expected to repeat levels if you want to get everything as there are items that can't be gotten on the first go round without abilities you get later.

If you're playing Vanilla or in the Remaster using Vanilla combat rules all that matters for your score is the total damage you deal in a combo. The remaster combat rules are stricter and extremely aggressive regarding scoring your combo so unless you're very fast swapping between move sets and weapons and optimizing all your abilities your score will be abysmal. Therefore if you're trying to maximize rewards or just having a hard time with combat switch to whatever they call the Vanilla combat rules.

You can break a lot of objects in the environment for free orbs. This is 95% of the use of the shotgun.

The plot is absolutely terrible. If you play the game for the story I'm very sorry for you.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 9, 2016

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Mayor McCheese posted:

You can't get everything in one playthrough; one of the first special doors you encounter needs a weapon you get many chapters later to open. I forget if you can replay previous chapters or if you have to do it on NG+, but unlike the other games this one didn't make me feel like I needed to play through it a couple of times to beat DMD mode. And I beat DMC2 DMD mode.

Finally, gently caress you. I'm not insulting you, or trying to discourage you from playing the game since it's not as bad as people were claiming it is. I'm just making a non-sequitur statement for those in the know.

gently caress you.

Barudak posted:

If you're playing Vanilla, you're not allowed to beat the final boss unless you devil trigger prior to delivering the final blow. The game doesn't indicate this at all.

I kinda does, the final boss shat out purple(?) DT orbs like nothing else in the game, and it clues you in on what you need to do since nothing else was working and you don't have a lot of other options.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 9, 2016

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

You can't get everything in one playthrough; one of the first special doors you encounter needs a weapon you get many chapters later to open. I forget if you can replay previous chapters or if you have to do it on NG+, but unlike the other games this one didn't make me feel like I needed to play through it a couple of times to beat DMD mode. And I beat DMC2 DMD mode.

In remaster I know you get a chapter replay mode because if you didn't I'd have gone insane finding all the stuff you need to collect.

The game, especially the remaster, isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be except the boss fights and the plot which are just, well gently caress You.

If for some insane reason you're like me and play it long enough to unlock the modes where Dante dies in 1 hit automatically the game doesn't do a good job of making it clear but you get 3 continues per stage. So while Dante technically dies in 1 hit every times, you can actually tank 3 hits total before seeing the Game Over Screen.

How Devil Trigger works is completely dependent on if you're in Vanilla or Remaster combat rules. The game tutorial does not reflect this, and only has the rules for Vanilla and there is if I remember correctly a Secret Room that flat out does not work if you are not in Vanilla combat rules because it relies on Vanilla Devil Trigger. The difference summarily is that Vanilla DT launches enemies into the air and holds them in place so you can pull them down one at a time to wail on them helplessly while Remaster is like the rest of the series where DT is simply a combat buff while enemies are still active and fighting you.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 9, 2016

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the tips, fellows!

This would be for the PS4 Remaster version that's on sale. Don't know how I got Stinger's moveset confused.

GuavaMoment posted:

Finally, gently caress you. I'm not insulting you, or trying to discourage you from playing the game since it's not as bad as people were claiming it is. I'm just making a non-sequitur statement for those in the know.

gently caress you.

hahaha, what is this about?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Oh you'll see. You will see.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

God help you if you watch the cutscenes but you'll know when you get there.

The remaster, despite not redoing any of the godawful script or cutscenes, did put in the effort to get rid of Vergil's internet-athiest/MRA hat so at least the cutscenes are slightly improved and its way less embarrassing to play through his solo campaign.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

GuavaMoment posted:

And I beat DMC2 DMD mode.

I thought DMC2 had a decent detailed control system but the game forgot to have a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I thought DMC2 had a decent detailed control system but the game forgot to have a story.

It does, it just forgot to make enemies have reasonable HP totals, attack tells of any kind, proper camera angles, or in the case of two bosses an opening to deal damage beyond "Stand in the one safe spot and hold the fire button down until it dies or you die in real life"

Honest to god a fantastic DMC2 tip is to just never play as Lucia because that way you never, ever have to fight possibly the worst designed boss ever in a 3d action game.