Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

RareAcumen posted:

It feels less weird that that's happened since the game had like two months of open beta for people to try it.

People have been streaming the game on Twitch since like October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CellBlock posted:

People have been streaming the game on Twitch since like October.

Yeah, so I'm bad at timeframes.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Ha that's right I remember that part now. I was way too excited to see kat tut, I didn't remember that it was from peggle (i have read this whole thread but that was quite a while ago and now I more or less just keep up with it). When I explained my excitement to my girlfriend she rolled her eyes and told me that I am a big nerd.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blizzard is scarily good at getting people to market their games for them

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Alaois posted:

It is OK to like things.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Besesoth posted:

The Overwatch gangtags having the "wrong" filenames is my favorite forums gag in a while.

Oh wow I didn't even notice :potg:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Alaois posted:

The game is new, it's good, and it has distinctive (if bland) characters that acquire personality primarily through the way they kick your rear end. People are gonna latch onto that sort of thing, it's not like Blizzard is giving people in-game rewards for getting an Overwatch gang tag. It's like accusing FROM of being good at getting people to market Dark Souls for them just because they made a game with enough lasting appeal that people still bring it up constantly.

HMS Boromir has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Jun 1, 2016

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

HMS Boromir posted:

The game is new, it's good, and it has distinctive (if bland) characters that acquire personality primarily through the way they kick your rear end. People are gonna latch onto that sort of thing, it's not like Blizzard is giving people in-game rewards for getting an Overwatch gang tag. It's like accusing FROM of being good at getting people to market Dark Souls for them just because they made a game with enough lasting appeal that people still bring it up constantly.

So what you're saying is that Overwatch is the Dark Souls of class-based multiplayer shooters?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

quiggy posted:

class-based multiplayer shooters?

Is that what it's called? I just think of it as "a team fortress 2 game".

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

prefect posted:

Overwatch is basically Team Fortress 3, by Blizzard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

prefect posted:

That's not a perfect description but it's whole lot better than calling it a MOBA.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a MOBA-like Doom clone.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's basically just space invaders with a bunch of unnecessary poo poo heaped on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A Doomoba, if you will.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
MOOB.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mobile Online Obligatory Battling?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Alaois posted:

They gave free games and financial incentives to a lot of youtubers, just like with hearthstone. It didn't just come from thin air, they literally paid people to play the game. What followed (memes, videos) wasn't directly incentivized but blizzard started the ball rolling. Clever marketing.

Sexualized characters appealing to teenage boys never hurts, either.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, that much is probably true. Neither I nor anyone I know that's been memein' hard on Overwatch watches the kind of streamer/youtubist that would get a free copy from Blizzard so it didn't cross my mind.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RareAcumen posted:

But tbh I'm talking about people buying avatars of a thing themselves.

The Gunnerkrigg thread was (is?) notorious for waves of avatars being anonymously bought for thread participants, much like the lums (though not quite as many at once). I'd guess the majority of GKC avs were from the mystery av buyer.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bhodi posted:

They gave free games and financial incentives to a lot of youtubers...they literally paid people to play the game

I hate to break it to you but literally every major game company and youtuber does this.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah for a while there was an "avatar fairy" who would buy people who posted in the thread avatars, even if they didn't ask for one.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

They gave free games and financial incentives to a lot of youtubers, just like with hearthstone. It didn't just come from thin air, they literally paid people to play the game. What followed (memes, videos) wasn't directly incentivized but blizzard started the ball rolling. Clever marketing.

have you not been on steam in the past 5 years? every review starts with "DISCLAIMER COPY WAS PROVIDED BY DEVELOPER"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Bhodi posted:

How does it feel to be a joyless husk?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

packetmantis posted:

How does it feel to be a joyless husk?

*throws handful of assorted SSRIs, SNRIs, and MAOIs down throat* Wouldn't Know.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I don't know if anyone has elaborated :thurman: any further than

Febreeze posted:

:thurman: Is former great Bills running back Thurman Thomas, from Techmo bowl
but IIRC, strangely enough, this emoticon came from MMO HMO - Aion to be exact. It was a Korean mmo that flopped like 99% of mmo's do.

In Aion there was a pubbie guild that got really mad at goons and had a meltdown thread about us on their private forums. They got some small victory or something and felt very vindicated, and the pubbies chain-posted a large version of :thurman: as a reaction to it like "owned" or "rekt" in image form. That thread got linked on SA, goons laughed at pubbie antics and then some nerd actually bought :thurman: as an emoticon on SA.

and so here we are.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
do you have the large version

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Nope. poo poo happened in 2009 :v:

If it exists it's in archives. Google only finds newer aion threads from 2012 etc

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Trogdos! posted:

Nope. poo poo happened in 2009 :v:
Was that when waffleimages died?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Suspicious Dish posted:

do you have the large version

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/square_medium/7/79058/1330513-thurman.jpg

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

what is :chome:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:mome: with a ch

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

gmail (or some google service, I forget which) used to have some funky retro emoticons, one of which was :chome:. they've since been replaced with standard emoji, many were sad that their emotes went away

now, add in a little YOSPOS insanity: Smythe (our beloved moderator) loves memes. Shaggar (our resident Microsoft apologist) dislikes any browsers that aren't IE, so he took to calling them slowfari, failfox, and chome (a corruption of chrome). After Smythe read chome one too many times, it got stuck in his head and he couldn't stop thinking about it. chome. chome. chome. he made a series of videos (now redacted) of himself saying chome in different situations. he also pointed out the :chome: emote on gmail and proclaimed it to be the official emote for the new meme.

someone else (I forget which poster is behind the youtube account, get your digital branding straight dudes) made this video which really helped spur chome's popularity (and led to making other memes popular such as lomarf and mome):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqzTmzyMmtU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
also, this

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Silver Alicorn posted:

dislikes any browsers that aren't IE,
:yikes:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

shaggar was right

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO YOSPOS

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

gmail (or some google service, I forget which) used to have some funky retro emoticons, one of which was :chome:. they've since been replaced with standard emoji, many were sad that their emotes went away

now, add in a little YOSPOS insanity: Smythe (our beloved moderator) loves memes. Shaggar (our resident Microsoft apologist) dislikes any browsers that aren't IE, so he took to calling them slowfari, failfox, and chome (a corruption of chrome). After Smythe read chome one too many times, it got stuck in his head and he couldn't stop thinking about it. chome. chome. chome. he made a series of videos (now redacted) of himself saying chome in different situations. he also pointed out the :chome: emote on gmail and proclaimed it to be the official emote for the new meme.

someone else (I forget which poster is behind the youtube account, get your digital branding straight dudes) made this video which really helped spur chome's popularity (and led to making other memes popular such as lomarf and mome):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqzTmzyMmtU

well that is quite the thorough explanation, ty

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Lomarf is Trending.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Smythe posted:

Lomarf is Trending.

:chome:

Adbot