Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mariooncrack posted:

What kind of car is it?

The sane choice would be to ship the car but this is AI. We've had people fly across country to drive a car unseen.

Boxster Spyder.

Although to be honest, when I calculate 2000 miles, that's:

72 gallons x $3 = $220
$250 for at least two night's hotel
$200 for a one way flight to LA

I'm getting shipping quotes of about $800, so that kind of seems like a no-brainer. If I can get the guy down a tiny bit more this might happen. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Boxster Spyder.

72 gallons x $3 = $220

I'm getting shipping quotes of about $800, so that kind of seems like a no-brainer. If I can get the guy down a tiny bit more this might happen. :getin:

Bring good music, amphetamines and mirror shades. Godspeed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

CommieGIR posted:

I would like to know more.

I'm hesitant to talk about details, but it's a tracker that will probably replace hundreds of hours per week of event scheduling.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Boxster Spyder.

72 gallons x $3 = $220

I would fly to LA to pick it up and then I'd drive my new pre-broken-in-awesome-sportscar on Decker Canyon Road, and then you have 2000 miles to figure out how to move to LA to continue driving on Decker Canyon and the surrounding roads.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is your brain on oversteer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBtSxMVmCX8

Oversteer: Not even once.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Do I detect a hint of pajama pants?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
drat, guy is going to see if he can get his price locally for a few days first. So far I've been successful in:

1. Scoring extra garage space for the winter.
2. Getting my girlfriend to let me use her old Civic for the winter.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

One week left to get your answers in for the Sheep Game! I've had over 30 responses so far...get yours in today!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777313

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Spent much of today attempting some woodwork
I spent most of yesterday afternoon and a lot of today clearing out weeds and so on from my back garden. The insect population did not take kindly to this, apparently, and I have some swelling from bug bites that Joseph Merrick would be proud of.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alternator's going out on the protege. Are there any brands known for putting you on a 6 month replacement cycle? This is the original, 13-year-old one that I swapped over from the original motor; if I can get half that life out of the replacement I'll be happy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Grab one from your FLAPS with a lifetime warranty and keep the receipt around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Alternator's going out on the protege. Are there any brands known for putting you on a 6 month replacement cycle? This is the original, 13-year-old one that I swapped over from the original motor; if I can get half that life out of the replacement I'll be happy.

I gave up and learned to rebuild my own.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

drat, guy is going to see if he can get his price locally for a few days first. So far I've been successful in:

1. Scoring extra garage space for the winter.
2. Getting my girlfriend to let me use her old Civic for the winter.

How much difference is there in your prices? Because I'd say just pay him what he is looking for if this is the car you really want, you don't want to spend another 6 months looking for just the "right" one just to save a few bucks now, unless there's a yuuge variance - it's not like this is a cheap purchase either way so what's a couple more grand in the overall scheme.

I've never regretted just buying the right M3 even though I could have probably saved a couple thou if I'd bothered to argue the PO's price at all (he actually negotiated -$1000 for himself after we'd already agreed on a price, heh - I wasn't arguing then either) and once you're motoring in a car like that, no matter what you paid it'll feel like the best deal in the world.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

How much difference is there in your prices? Because I'd say just pay him what he is looking for if this is the car you really want, you don't want to spend another 6 months looking for just the "right" one just to save a few bucks now, unless there's a yuuge variance - it's not like this is a cheap purchase either way so what's a couple more grand in the overall scheme.

I've never regretted just buying the right M3 even though I could have probably saved a couple thou if I'd bothered to argue the PO's price at all (he actually negotiated -$1000 for himself after we'd already agreed on a price, heh - I wasn't arguing then either) and once you're motoring in a car like that, no matter what you paid it'll feel like the best deal in the world.

It's pretty minimal as far as price goes. The thing in my mind is that the car has a significant amount of miles on it (55k), and I don't see it as "worth it" unless I can get it for what I think a "good" price is. There's also the fact that I don't need to buy the car right now, as I was planning on buying 9 months from now after I go through my last Midwest winter. If I can pick it up for a good price now great. If not I'll end up getting a used Cayman GTS next spring.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 4, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cool, sounds as if you have a plan. I just like encouraging people to buy sweet cars and the boxster spyder is certainly an eyecatching car even on the supercar-jaded streets of Los Angeles.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Enourmo posted:

I put one from AAP in my Focus back in 2008, so far it's outlived the factory original.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Residency Evil posted:

Hypothetically, for a trip of about 2000 miles, would you:

1. Fly out and drive the car home
2. Ship the car

The car has bucket seats and is probably not what most people would call an ideal GT car.

Who would want to drive something they bought sight unseen 2000 miles home? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just drove down to see my brother, put the wrong address in my phone and turned up at his future mother-in-laws house. :doh:

She recognised me and invited me in for a coffee, my dog gets on with hers, brother and girlfriend turned up half an hour later confused as hell :haw:

Then I got let in on a terrible secret, brothers future father in law might not be around much later than their wedding, he's got cancer. Very few people know. I spent a couple of hours getting to know him.

Wierd day.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Selling a motorcycle today so I just cancelled the insurance. Apparently even a one day lapse between canceling and turning in my plate equals a $50 fine.

gently caress.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rolled back to Windows 7 after nonstop driver issues with 10. That didn't last long. The final straw was my G27 not working even after I downloaded the proper drivers and Windows not letting me uninstall drivers to do a clean install.

It's a shame too because it really was a lot faster than 7.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Wife bought me a trip to a float tank for my birthday and the appt is for tonight.

Hopefully it's fun :v:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

iwentdoodie posted:

Wife bought me a trip to a float tank for my birthday and the appt is for tonight.

Hopefully it's fun :v:

I wouldn't say fun, but it is incredibly relaxing

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

I spent most of yesterday afternoon and a lot of today clearing out weeds and so on from my back garden. The insect population did not take kindly to this, apparently, and I have some swelling from bug bites that Joseph Merrick would be proud of.

Ive got my back garden down to nothing but a fort nightly/weekly 30 min mowing and weeding session. If only I had got the house and vehicles so much under control

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Goober Peas posted:

I wouldn't say fun, but it is incredibly relaxing

For me that will be fun. The last few months have been so stressful it's not even funny.

That and I've wanted to do one of these for awhile now.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Tomarse posted:

Spent much of today attempting some woodwork (I'm building a small kitchen table), trying to do it properly using dowels and glue to hold the frame together rather than just blasting loads of screws into it as is my usual woodwork approach. I did not enjoy it.

I spent ages measuring, cutting and marking it out, and drilling holes for dowels. Built a jig on the end of my workbench using my pillar drill to try and get the holes perfectly straight. Still a bastard to get them to fit properly and a bastard to try and clamp together straight (using a ratchet strap).

Suspect that it is all going to fall apart tomorrow when I remove the ratchet strap and I shall just end up screwing it and fillering the screw heads

Do both. Countersink your screws deep and use a plug cutter to make wood plugs that you tap in and sand flush so it looks you know what you're doing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Son of a goddamn bitch!

My jackass friend just went and swiped the Protege I was gonna buy as a winter beater out from under me!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

My jackass friend

Which one?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I got an air compressor! 80 gallon 2 stage, 5hp, 240v dewalt branded. I got some 10/3 romex and other supplies to wire it into the garage. Garage already has a panel and a 50amp welder outlet, so hopefully putting in another 30 amp goes easily.

What should I do for piping? I have been eying the 1/2" and 3/4" rapid air maxline kits. And for a dryer? I see some people make up a copper maze, is that required or are there other options?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
This is what I did:

A bunch of 3/4" black iron pipe with ball valve drains on each vertical to drain the accumulated water. Works amazingly well as is but for painting I'm still adding a three stage filter/dryer/oil separator just to be safe.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 5, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Previa_fun posted:

Rolled back to Windows 7 after nonstop driver issues with 10. That didn't last long. The final straw was my G27 not working even after I downloaded the proper drivers and Windows not letting me uninstall drivers to do a clean install.

It's a shame too because it really was a lot faster than 7.

If you do a clean install rather than an upgrade (or a "reset to factory" after the upgrade, which effectively does a clean install for you) you should do fine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

I've had good luck with Napa alternators.

And really bad luck with AutoZone alternators.

:iiam:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Woohoo! East Coast Low! 300mm of rain in a day!

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Woohoo! East Coast Low! 300mm of rain in a day!

Saw that on the news tonight. Two nice highs over all off NZ. No wind, crisp frost. Look over to Australia and see that Sydney is getting absolutely smashed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Anphear posted:

Saw that on the news tonight. Two nice highs over all off NZ. No wind, crisp frost. Look over to Australia and see that Sydney is getting absolutely smashed.

Yeah, three rivers are flooding right now that havent flooded like this in 3 decades. Just south is even worse, 500(!) mm got dumped. The Nepean river has four dams that are spilling now or about to spill tonight feeding into it so I'm expecting quite a lot of water at Penrith tomorrow morning. The big dam called Warragamba is about 3 meters from spilling - it's enormous so even three meters would have to fill a 50 km lake for it to spill. It's beginning to fill quite rapidly tho so there is now a chance it's going to join the party. That would triple the volume of water by itself at minimum so if that one spills, half of the North West might go underwater. I think they are expecting a 9 meter flood at the best - for reference the biggest known flood of the Neapan is 27 meters, without the dams we'd be looking at a pretty epic one right now.

If Warragamba spills, all bets are off, I might not be getting to work

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 5, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
East coast of Australia, Gulf Coast of Texas, and Paris, we need to redirect that rain to California.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah, three rivers are flooding right now that havent flooded like this in 3 decades. Just south is even worse, 500(!) mm got dumped. The Nepean river has four dams that are spilling now or about to spill tonight feeding into it so I'm expecting quite a lot of water at Penrith tomorrow morning. The big dam called Warragamba is about 3 meters from spilling - it's enormous so even three meters would have to fill a 50 km lake for it to spill. It's beginning to fill quite rapidly tho so there is now a chance it's going to join the party. That would triple the volume of water by itself at minimum so if that one spills, half of the North West might go underwater. I think they are expecting a 9 meter flood at the best - for reference the biggest known flood of the Neapan is 27 meters, without the dams we'd be looking at a pretty epic one right now.

If Warragamba spills, all bets are off, I might not be getting to work

Isn't your country in a perpetual state of drought

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

corn in the fridge posted:

Isn't your country in a perpetual state of drought

Australia has three states -

Drought
On fire
Flooded

Sometimes all three happen at the same time (That's actually not a joke either)

Edit : looks like the ECL has decided to smash us again, another huge rainband incoming. This ECL is definatly not loving about. Oh boy, hope it doesnt stall off the coast.....

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 5, 2016

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Australia has three states -

Drought
On fire
Flooded

Sometimes all three happen at the same time (That's actually not a joke either)

Edit : looks like the ECL has decided to smash us again, another huge rainband incoming. This ECL is definatly not loving about. Oh boy, hope it doesnt stall off the coast.....

I have fought a fire, In the rain, On grass that had an inch of water at its roots. This country is mad sometimes.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Life on Mars would be like, Tuesday, in Australia. So in that respect, the first Mars explorers should be born and bred Australians because they're the only ones that could truly survive in such adversarial landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Adiabatic posted:

I'm hesitant to talk about details, but it's a tracker that will probably replace hundreds of hours per week of event scheduling.

Is it a job/ticket dispatcher?
Do they already have an OMS, ADMS, or scada system?

• Locked thread