Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Excellent page topper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

Another XSEED blog. Posting it here since rather than being about a specific title like usual, this one is on localization in general, in this case one of their editors' experience with entering the industry.

Trails in the Sky: Third Chapter is coming? :suspense:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Trails in the Sky: Third Chapter is coming? :suspense:

Got announced back in March.
http://gematsu.com/2016/03/legend-heroes-trails-sky-3rd-coming-west-pc-2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Aww, no PSP version? I know it's long-dead, but still a little sad about that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

but I couldn't make it more than an hour or so into the first Rance game, and from what I hear it was that bad all the way through that game and into several sequels.

afaik japan loves rance so much it has an entire tcg

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The White Dragon posted:

Truly the sign of nationwide adoration.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aww, no PSP version? I know it's long-dead, but still a little sad about that.

No, pc only. But since it is an old rear end game, you can run it on basically any modern pc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I prefer playing long RPG's on handhelds nowadays so it still kind of sucks, but I understand not wanting to release a PSP game in 20162017 too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

yeah, obama was gifted with a copy of rance when he went to japan. it's their national icon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real tho the reason why a bunch of random japanese properties have TCGs is pretty simple

basically you know the 'the jocks may bully me now but when i graduate they'll be working at mcdonalds and ill be rich!' thing? that's literally what a significant portion of japan's home economy is based on. japan's a very tech advanced country but your average teenager uses computers at cafes, or schools, or at the house of a friend who owns a computer, or maybe a cheap laptop for school work. when they grow up, they use computers at work, but people who use them at home are kind of a minority, at least in terms of actively playing games on them and developing an interest in how they work, and programming or whatever. Phones with internet browsers and games on them and stuff have also contributed to this.

So, the people who use computers a lot at home and have an interest in them are nerds, even more so than in other countries. so you have a country where computers are used for nearly every job there is, but only dudes who got brutally owned in high school have significant experience, knowledge, and interest in them. so you get an economy where the dudes who had no friends in high school are making like two times more than average out of college, since it's an in-demand career that not a lot of people go into, relatively speaking. so you wind up in a situation where a good portion of the young people with a lot of disposable income are also the kind of dudes who'd play a hentai SRPG.

this is why every anime and game franchise ever made has a ton of spinoff merch. The people with a lot of money to burn are the people who are nerdy enough to buy twelve separate figurines of Saber or whoever. TCGs are just another branch of that, since you can slap some art assets you already have onto cards, make the most popular characters the rarest, and call it a day. They aren't really expecting the kids to play it at books-a-million, it's just another way to milk big yen from guys with too much money. pretty much every use of the :japan: emote can be traced back to this. i hope you've all learned something today. god bless.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did ty

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I prefer playing long RPG's on handhelds nowadays so it still kind of sucks, but I understand not wanting to release a PSP game in 20162017 too.

Agreed, though I would've just liked to have all three on my PSP. I actually managed to get the Collector's Edition of Trails in the Sky FC with art cards and complete soundtrack :allears:.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's just an extended explanation of the "why is it $300 for this tiny anime box set that only a handful of nerds are super into" thing, where companies have very precise metrics on their customer numbers and what they're willing to spend so they produce just the right amount at just the right bloated price to really fleece them without taking any loss on unsold stock. Now we know the other side of the story; Japanese PC owners are just super nerdy and 73 times as likely to have a waifu shrine as the average PC user.

Anyway, my favorite thing about all this is that then foreign economies and customer bases come into the picture and throw the whole operation off.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

this is why every anime and game franchise ever made has a ton of spinoff merch. The people with a lot of money to burn are the people who are nerdy enough to buy twelve separate figurines of Saber or whoever.

pretty much every use of the :japan: emote can be traced back to this. i hope you've all learned something today. god bless.

yes i have learned something ty

but it was about myself :smith:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Been playing more of Romancing Saga 2 and the new game+ feature in it is really neat because you can start NG+ at any point in the game (even if you haven't beaten it yet like me) and you keep everything except formations, kingdom upgrades, and tax revenue. Makes early encounters a breeze and you keep getting stronger so people with restartitis like me won't find it so tedious (seems there's no point in using the LP restoring potions unless you're on the final emperor so I restarted).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow, I finally managed to finish Mass Effect 3 after putting off the last mission for like six months. I think I'm glad I beat it? The mission wasn't anything special, in fact it kinda sucked, but the enormous outrage when the game released must have prepared me for the ending because I didn't hate it and was mostly glad to get the closure I did. The one I picked really doesn't hold up under scrutiny ("Ok I'm gonna release this energy beam that magically makes all organic life somehow synthetic (what?) and all synthetic life organic" (what????? Is my toaster now alive too???)) but ehh, it was tonally satisfactory to me.

What I was really most disappointed in was how the final party you picked barely matters at all, and they get dumped off before they could really offer any insight/interesting opinions on the goings-on. At least I got to have a tearful goodbye with my sweetheart Liara though. I admit I got a bit emotional when she placed Shepard's nameplate (which they couldn't be bothered to get your full name in) on the memorial.

Game's OK, I liked it, and the DLCs owned.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Wow, I finally managed to finish Mass Effect 3 after putting off the last mission for like six months. I think I'm glad I beat it? The mission wasn't anything special, in fact it kinda sucked, but the enormous outrage when the game released must have prepared me for the ending because I didn't hate it and was mostly glad to get the closure I did. The one I picked really doesn't hold up under scrutiny ("Ok I'm gonna release this energy beam that magically makes all organic life somehow synthetic (what?) and all synthetic life organic" (what????? Is my toaster now alive too???)) but ehh, it was tonally satisfactory to me.

What I was really most disappointed in was how the final party you picked barely matters at all, and they get dumped off before they could really offer any insight/interesting opinions on the goings-on. At least I got to have a tearful goodbye with my sweetheart Liara though. I admit I got a bit emotional when she placed Shepard's nameplate (which they couldn't be bothered to get your full name in) on the memorial.

You are playing with the free extended cut ending DLC installed that wasn't there when the game released.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The original release of Mass Effect 3 was iirc literally just the color coded ending and then credits. Also the final party member was day 1 DLC that wasn't included in the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, yes, and? Should I consider these factors when saying if I like the game? I'm not doing a review here.

I guess if you guys are trying to explain why the initial reaction was so extreme compared to mine, yeah, I can see that. I'm just glad I'm only playing it now!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You were sorta asking where the enormous outrage came from. The re-edited ending and Citadel DLC did a lot to mend the reactions post-release.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tae posted:

You were sorta asking where the enormous outrage came from. The re-edited ending and Citadel DLC did a lot to mend the reactions post-release.

The Citadel party was probably one of the best DLCs ever released for any game ever and did so much to cool down the frothing fans. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlgVi77uUE

Looking back I really did enjoy the poo poo out of Mass Effect despite its flaws. Dragon Age Origins too.

Now I have no RPGs to play until Persona 5 comes out. :(

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Which was your favorite ME game?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

2, for sure. It's just the most polished and complete game out of the three games. 1 had kind of half of a good idea and 3 is obviously rushed / suffered a troubled development. I have to say I totally like 3 more than 1 though. I did all sidequests in 1 and that is not an experience I care to ever repeat again.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

people are always gonna care more for something insanely hyped at launch that someone that plays it years later

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Amppelix posted:

2, for sure. It's just the most polished and complete game out of the three games. 1 had kind of half of a good idea and 3 is obviously rushed / suffered a troubled development. I have to say I totally like 3 more than 1 though. I did all sidequests in 1 and that is not an experience I care to ever repeat again.

We are in complete agreement here. When I played the ME Trilogy about a year ago I went into it thinking "everyone loves 2, everyone hates 3, but you never hear anything about 1." Well, turns out there's a reason for that. 2 was by far the best game of the trilogy and I actually hold it up as one of the best RPGs I have ever played. 3 had problems but the combat was excellent and I loved the music.

Mass Effect 1...had nothing. The gameplay sucked and even BW's most vaunted aspect, the characters, were terrible in it Garrus is possibly the most beloved BioWare character I've ever seen and I had no idea why that was. Until Mass Effect 2, anyway.

One of the best things about ME2 is now NOT ME1 it is. It's even in your face about it. Like that throwaway line during Lair of the Shadow Broker about how you used to be able to slap Omnigel on everything.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The Romancing SaGa 2 mobile port owns a lot so far except for one thing: the controls are real bad. I'm wondering if there isn't some way to hook up a bluetooth-enabled controller to this or something, because the touch controls are fiddly as poo poo and not very well-programmed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I hosed about with it for a pal's request and could not get it to pick up a controller. If I'm doing it wrong, correct me, but...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Turn off "Dash Always On" because it makes you a racecar that's out of control and it'll break up your formations. Even if your formation breaks though you can flee 100% from everything but boss battles and stand still to fight in formation again.

The awful controls are also in the new mobile version of FF5 and FF6 (and probably Dimensions) so avoid those too

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 4, 2016

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I got pretty bored by Mass Effect 3, but that was probably more due to being fatigued by the gameplay systems than because it was a bad game. I played the original ending and thought it was rear end, but it certainly wasn't uniquely rear end: Deus Ex Human Revolution had essentially the same setup where you press one of several buttons and get one of several endings. I was just annoyed that the ending washed away every consequential decision I'd made over the course of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deus Ex also hadn't been building up to its ending over three games and five(?) years.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Steam release of Stranger of Sword City is on Monday.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The Romancing SaGa 2 mobile port owns a lot so far except for one thing: the controls are real bad. I'm wondering if there isn't some way to hook up a bluetooth-enabled controller to this or something, because the touch controls are fiddly as poo poo and not very well-programmed.

If you'd waited a couple months, the last I heard, SE changed their minds and were working on the Vita port. not that you have a vita :v:

Heavy neutrino posted:

I played the original ending and thought it was rear end, but it certainly wasn't uniquely rear end: Deus Ex Human Revolution had essentially the same setup where you press one of several buttons and get one of several endings.

Funny you should say that. iirc the lead writers, when they took their ball and went home and shut out the editors for the ending sequence, straight-up compared their "vision" to the "genius" DXHR ending.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 5, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Saddened to see the making GBS threads on ME 1 here. I felt it was the best game at least from a story and setting standpoint, as it was reminiscent of Star Trek. Sure the gameplay wasn't quite all there yet but I loved the feeling of exploring a galaxy and meeting new and wonderful species. Mass Effect 2 on the other hand plays better, but the plot is completely stupid to the point I wondered if the writer even played the previous game but then the credits revealed it was the same writer and some other guy who would then go on to write Mass Effect 3. Nothing about the setup of Mass Effect 2 makes any sort of sense from working with Cerberus to the Council suddenly pretending the end of the previous game even happened and refusing to believe Reapers exist again for literally no reason. The tone of the series goes from exploring a galaxy to uncover a mystery and along the way finding answers and a way to prevent a greater threat to a power fantasy where Shepard is some kind of near-immortal badass brought back from the dead simply because he's a badass and the galaxy needs a badass and for no other reason. Nothing flows at all from the end of 1 to the beginning of 2.

What saves 2 when the plot takes a giant nosedive from the first game, is the better gameplay and the character interaction which is pretty well done and it's why people don't tend to notice that there's a huge change in the writing until 3 when the change really happened with 2. And then 3 came along and botched the character interaction and gave you a choice of lovely half assed endings, which just left you with decent gameplay and a sour taste in your mouth.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Nah

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
2 was pretty good except for the final boss being a giant Terminator powered by human goo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

kirbysuperstar posted:

2 was pretty good except for the final boss being a giant Terminator powered by human goo.

I know, right? I can't see how they screwed up the endgame of ME3 so bad after knocking it out of the park so hard in 2.

2 was like, "Oh poo poo I don't wanna send my bro Garrus to hold the line because he's my bro and I don't want him to die if he's the wrong choice, so--gently caress I'm so sorry Zaeed"

3 was like, "Uh was that a metaphor for sex just now? Look Liara I'm just not that into you"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

kirbysuperstar posted:

I personally liked the final boss and it worked well as the next reaper insanity reveal but admittedly it wasn't as :stare: as the first time you hear Sovereign's voice.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Saddened to see the making GBS threads on ME 1 here. I felt it was the best game at least from a story and setting standpoint, as it was reminiscent of Star Trek. Sure the gameplay wasn't quite all there yet but I loved the feeling of exploring a galaxy and meeting new and wonderful species. Mass Effect 2 on the other hand plays better, but the plot is completely stupid to the point I wondered if the writer even played the previous game but then the credits revealed it was the same writer and some other guy who would then go on to write Mass Effect 3. Nothing about the setup of Mass Effect 2 makes any sort of sense from working with Cerberus to the Council suddenly pretending the end of the previous game even happened and refusing to believe Reapers exist again for literally no reason. The tone of the series goes from exploring a galaxy to uncover a mystery and along the way finding answers and a way to prevent a greater threat to a power fantasy where Shepard is some kind of near-immortal badass brought back from the dead simply because he's a badass and the galaxy needs a badass and for no other reason. Nothing flows at all from the end of 1 to the beginning of 2.

What saves 2 when the plot takes a giant nosedive from the first game, is the better gameplay and the character interaction which is pretty well done and it's why people don't tend to notice that there's a huge change in the writing until 3 when the change really happened with 2. And then 3 came along and botched the character interaction and gave you a choice of lovely half assed endings, which just left you with decent gameplay and a sour taste in your mouth.

Pretty much this. Even with how Mass Effect 2 was still kind of a good game on its own, Mass Effect 3 ran roughshod over its own and the series' premises so thoroughly that it wrecked Mass Effect 2 by association. At least Mass Effect 1 can and still does stand alone (except with the tedium of Insanity, but that's a gimmick difficulty and maybe don't be a cheevo chaser).

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

In my first play of 2 I never knew about the time limit so that goop was my ships crew. Also I think I sent 2 people to die since I didnt know that who you sent could backfire. :rip: Jacob and Miranda

All this ME talk makes me want to play them again. Im sure they wont hold the same magic they did back when they first came out but I still think theyre good enough to still be fun. I never did play through as full renegade in any of them anyway so there is still that.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Pretty much this. Even with how Mass Effect 2 was still kind of a good game on its own, Mass Effect 3 ran roughshod over its own and the series' premises so thoroughly that it wrecked Mass Effect 2 by association. At least Mass Effect 1 can and still does stand alone (except with the tedium of Insanity, but that's a gimmick difficulty and maybe don't be a cheevo chaser).

I just cant do any of the planetary exploration in ME1 anymore. Its tedium incarnate and injects huge boring breaks into the otherwise fun story and game play. I couldnt think of a worse way to kill the flow of a game. :(

e: ME1 was the source of the elevator butt jokes right?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

I just cant do any of the planetary exploration in ME1 anymore. Its tedium incarnate and injects huge boring breaks into the otherwise fun story and game play. I couldnt think of a worse way to kill the flow of a game. :(

The planetary exploration could have been done better and the Mako could have controlled better but it was still preferable to 2's mining minigame or 3's mining minigame but this time you have to be cautious with your scans or the Reapers will appear and OHKO you when they catch you. Planetary exploration was a concept I wanted to see improved upon for the sequels, not see outright removed which 2 and 3 did. It seems Andromeda is going back to exploration of planets though, hopefully improved from ME 1 which is definitely a step in the right direction in my opinion.