Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Consimworld does have its social platform thing.

Never messed with it though so can't really say how it goes or how much is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I don't think anyone is going to object to your asking any ASL questions here. I enjoy reading about ASL even though I'll probably never play it.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Erghh posted:

Consimworld does have its social platform thing.

Never messed with it though so can't really say how it goes or how much is there.

I hadn't seen this. I signed up. I'll see what this is all about

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah I'm happy to answer any questions that I can, though I'm by no means an expert.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah I'm happy to answer any questions that I can, though I'm by no means an expert.

Most of my questions at this point are pretty dumb like:

- Do you trim your counters? with what? I am using a nail clipper and my wife thinks I am crazy but the other day she came over and looked in the boxes was like "Those really do look a lot better and easier to use after you trim them."
- Am I over complicating this storage issue? I have 8 Darice bead organizers right now and it contains "Informational Counters (2 boxes)" German, (1 box infantry and ordnance and 1 box armor), Soviets (same as Germans), US (Inf only at this point), Finns (inf only). I just got Rising Sun in the mail which has Japan, China and US (is this a different box now? Aieee). Where am I putting all of this stuff?

Rules questions will come later, guaranteed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

he1ixx posted:

Most of my questions at this point are pretty dumb like:

- Do you trim your counters? with what? I am using a nail clipper and my wife thinks I am crazy but the other day she came over and looked in the boxes was like "Those really do look a lot better and easier to use after you trim them."
- Am I over complicating this storage issue? I have 8 Darice bead organizers right now and it contains "Informational Counters (2 boxes)" German, (1 box infantry and ordnance and 1 box armor), Soviets (same as Germans), US (Inf only at this point), Finns (inf only). I just got Rising Sun in the mail which has Japan, China and US (is this a different box now? Aieee). Where am I putting all of this stuff?

Rules questions will come later, guaranteed.

Get an actual corner clipper by oregon laminations, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Rounder-Cutter/dp/B00G08PEXO?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

It makes it so you don't have the fuzzy edges, which will be really helpful when you have stacks of units and they won't start toppling over all the time.

I would not say your storage is overcomplicated.

This is my current storage setup.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Yeah, those are great. You're not going to want to use nail clippers unless you're awfully careful. I've ruined several counters over-clipping the corners.

Note: there are two types of Oregon cutters for every measurement: heavy-duty (regular) and deluxe, priced accordingly.

$22
http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Corner...on+lamination+2

$45
http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe...on+lamination+2

I have the more expensive one because why not.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Get an actual corner clipper by oregon laminations, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Radius-Deluxe-Corner-Rounder-Cutter/dp/B00G08PEXO?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

It makes it so you don't have the fuzzy edges, which will be really helpful when you have stacks of units and they won't start toppling over all the time.

I would not say your storage is overcomplicated.

This is my current storage setup.

I have been using some heavy duty nail clippers but they are driving me crazy and hurting my hands so I ordered one of those things. $44 seemed steep but the thought of clipping about 2000-3000 more counters that I currently have unclipped was breaking my will to live. $44 seems like a relatively small price.

I love the setup you have. What kind of boxes are those? I looked at those Raaco boxes but they seem like they are made for someone made of money.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have the regular ones, and they've been nothing but great for me. Use that extra $20 on an action pack or something.

Before I sold my ASL stuff I had, I think, 15 Plano boxes? 3 for informational, 1 for German 1/2", 2 for German 5/8", 1 for Russian 1/2", 1 for Russian 5/8", 2 for US, 2 for Brits, 1 for Japan, 1 for China, 1 for Finns.

Just remember, that nobody how deep you dive into this hobby, someone will have dived even deeper.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

COOL CORN posted:

I have the regular ones, and they've been nothing but great for me. Use that extra $20 on an action pack or something.

Before I sold my ASL stuff I had, I think, 15 Plano boxes? 3 for informational, 1 for German 1/2", 2 for German 5/8", 1 for Russian 1/2", 1 for Russian 5/8", 2 for US, 2 for Brits, 1 for Japan, 1 for China, 1 for Finns.

Just remember, that nobody how deep you dive into this hobby, someone will have dived even deeper.

YOU SOLD YOUR ASL STUFF?!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

he1ixx posted:

I have been using some heavy duty nail clippers but they are driving me crazy and hurting my hands so I ordered one of those things. $44 seemed steep but the thought of clipping about 2000-3000 more counters that I currently have unclipped was breaking my will to live. $44 seems like a relatively small price.

I love the setup you have. What kind of boxes are those? I looked at those Raaco boxes but they seem like they are made for someone made of money.

http://ikaswebshop.com/hobpacadostn.html

I specifically get the HOZAN B-50 GG Double Stack storage boxes. You get two layers which is enough to fit an entire nation. I have all my German counters in one, all my Russians in another, etc.

I also order them by unit strength or vehicle family/type

pre:
Germans Example

838 || 338 || 468 || 248 || 548 || 238 || 467 || 247
447 || 237 || 436 || 236 || Crews || AT/Flamethrowers || Radio/DC
Leaders/Heroes/Sniper || Support weapons/concealment || Mortars/Artillery/Etc
IE: Full Squad, equiv Half Squad, Full Squad of next highest, equiv Half Squad, repeat

It's a little packed at times, but that's more or less because you get so many counters anyways that you have plenty of doubles and I could easily just remove some.

Vehicles went something like

pre:
Panzer 35t/38t || Panzer I/ Panzer II || Panzer III || Panzer IV
Tiger || Panther || Mobile AA || StuG III/IV || Panzerjager IV
Heroes || something || something
Heck, they even show ASL counters being used in their boxes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, to add to the Hozan boxes, they are expensive at around 50$ a pop depending on taxes + shipping. I tend to only get them in pairs or more and when they are on sale. I've gotten a few directly from Japan via Ebay where I tend to save a lot on shipping (and even the regular cost!) so you may want to check that first.

They are perfectly manufactured. Everything about them is smooth; the opening latches are very hard to open accidentally (meaning your counters aren't going to fly all over the place) and the space between compartment and lid is minimal, meaning you don't have to worry about storing them upside down or transporting them via backpack.

They also have little stubs on the top and bottom of the box so that, when stacked, they won't move without some force.

Edit:

Oh! And the dividers have a 0.5cm or so thick "top" and the box comes with an equal number of stickers so that you can label them from the get-go without any additional cost.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

he1ixx posted:

YOU SOLD YOUR ASL STUFF?!

Cool Corn is a pioneer of so-called "cloud wargaming". He constantly buys and sells games at a fast enough rate so that from a heisenbergian viewpoint he has all the games, all the time.

There are rumors that his research might fund the creation of a non-quantum wargaming opponent.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Amazing boxes. That's something I can look towards. Hobbies are expensive...

Do you guys do anything for reinforcing your ASLRB? I can see these pages getting messed up after a lot of flipping back and forth. Also, I just added the rules chapters included in Rising Sun (Chapters H, Z, etc) and the binder is getting pretty full.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

he1ixx posted:

Amazing boxes. That's something I can look towards. Hobbies are expensive...

Do you guys do anything for reinforcing your ASLRB? I can see these pages getting messed up after a lot of flipping back and forth. Also, I just added the rules chapters included in Rising Sun (Chapters H, Z, etc) and the binder is getting pretty full.

Buy the handbook (or whatever the small one is called), get a kindle/e-reader, or learn the rules enough to never need it again.

There's not much you could do to keep that binder (and pages) in good condition other than buying a bigger binder and sheet protectors for each page. (Which I do for all my scenarios and maps! :homebrew:)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Went to the UK games expo, found a copy of Battle Hymn, the Pacific version of Ambush! I bought it, any thoughts from the hive mind? Good/bad purchase?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Cool Corn is a pioneer of so-called "cloud wargaming".

:lol:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's true, I am the Heisenberg of wargaming

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Tekopo, on the other hand, is an Einsickernspiel doctrine follower, strategically placing COINs and Simmons' games to trick meetup normies into thinking they're in for an euro.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

he1ixx posted:

ASL's tiny and easily-frayed counters are definitely easier to manage in their giant stacks when clipped. GMT spoils us with counters that tend to be nice even when punched and given breathing space on the board.[/quote]

Do not keep using a nail-clipper. I literally got an RWI from trying to use one for so many counters. One of those oregon clippers not only has cleaner, consistent cuts but most importantly won't kill your hands.

quote:

The best advice I have for storage is to only punch out pieces that you're going to play with. Save yourself some sanity and leave the newest modules at rest until you're clearly going to be playing them (or have an inordinately large amount of time for counter-clipping...). Other than that, just do whatever lets you grab the pieces you need easily. No one seems to have the exact same storage solution with ASL, though I do tend to see people try to keep the general game markers stored differently because you're pulling those out all the time. I've been using counter trays (GMT and Decision Games both make them, Decision might be better choice), but plano boxes, jewelry bead containers, etc. all work. Good luck.

General things that are good for ASL but honestly if you're wargaming are good in general:
Retractable key-chain / key-line is great for Line of Sight measures. And some hobby tweezers (i.e. tweezers with a long reach and wide enough to grab the larger pieces in ASL) make life easier. And thin plexiglass or some clear overlay to keep those pesky cardstock (and paper in other cases) boards flat.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Trynant posted:

ASL's tiny and easily-frayed counters are definitely easier to manage in their giant stacks when clipped. GMT spoils us with counters that tend to be nice even when punched and given breathing space on the board.

Do not keep using a nail-clipper. I literally got an RWI from trying to use one for so many counters. One of those oregon clippers not only has cleaner, consistent cuts but most importantly won't kill your hands.

Thanks for this post. It made me stop clipping counters until my *new counter clipper (linked above) arrives*. You're right. The nail clippers were already hurting my hand and its not like these counters will be the last I ever clip. I regret not ordering it sooner but I felt like $44 was a bridge too far for my wallet. Who am I kidding? This entire enterprise is a journey to a dark place where I'll be left, alone and buried in cardboard chits like quicksand. :homebrew:
I had ordered the giant tweezers from a site on Amazon promising "2 day shipping" last week. When I got the shipping notification it said "Delivery date - July 27th" and I saw the origin in China. Well, that was unexpected. Looking at the shipping info it actually looks like they may arrive soon but that's pretty lovely of them.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Tekopo posted:

Went to the UK games expo, found a copy of Battle Hymn, the Pacific version of Ambush! I bought it, any thoughts from the hive mind? Good/bad purchase?

I love Ambush! And play it cooperatively with my war game buddy. It offers a really unique experience.

I'm excited to hear about Battle Hymn! If it's the same quality of Ambush just in a different theater, you're in for a treat.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

he1ixx posted:

If you're really fancy you can laminate them (and add hole punches afterwards I guess?) The cheaper and easier solution is to buy US Letter sized page wallets and store them in those. It'll increase your binder size but the pages themselves will be OK. Can be a bit of a nightmare finding the exact right size wallet so you might have to try a few (anyone in the UK: Wilco's wallets work perfectly last I checked)

E: Also you can always split the rulebook into separate binders and label them individually. Keeps the size (and weight) down, and means you don't need to carry the whole binder around with you when you only need certain chapters.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I met up with a local ASL group today. It was an interesting mix of weird people (only 4 of us) and two of them played through a good infantry-only scenario from "Poland in Flames". I got to ask a lot of dumb questions and I found them to be supportive of a growing and idiotic expenditure of money on any and all things ASL.

It turns out one of the experienced players was an MMP playtester and has designed some published scenarios for them. He is going to be a great resource.

I left thinking I need to definitely buy the following (leaving out the things I've already bought).

- small version of the rules, spiral bound with a plastic cover front and back.
- Rat Charts 2.0(ordered)
- Poland in Flames (super cool scenarios and well designed maps and counters)

I also have a creeping desire to build a nice wooden dice tower.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

he1ixx posted:

I met up with a local ASL group today. It was an interesting mix of weird people (only 4 of us) and two of them played through a good infantry-only scenario from "Poland in Flames". I got to ask a lot of dumb questions and I found them to be supportive of a growing and idiotic expenditure of money on any and all things ASL.

It turns out one of the experienced players was an MMP playtester and has designed some published scenarios for them. He is going to be a great resource.

I left thinking I need to definitely buy the following (leaving out the things I've already bought).

- small version of the rules, spiral bound with a plastic cover front and back.
- Rat Charts 2.0(ordered)
- Poland in Flames (super cool scenarios and well designed maps and counters)

I also have a creeping desire to build a nice wooden dice tower.

Last I checked, Poland in Flames was sort of middling in terms of reviews. Admittedly, I haven't checked around, but it does require a lot of Bounding Fire Productions modules and the hard-to-find Armies of Oblivion (GIMME A REPRINT, DAMNIT!)

Rat Charts 2.0 is good.

If you don't want to splurge for a dice tower, use a glass/clear cup.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

he1ixx posted:

Thanks for this post. It made me stop clipping counters until my *new counter clipper (linked above) arrives*. You're right. The nail clippers were already hurting my hand and its not like these counters will be the last I ever clip. I regret not ordering it sooner but I felt like $44 was a bridge too far for my wallet. Who am I kidding? This entire enterprise is a journey to a dark place where I'll be left, alone and buried in cardboard chits like quicksand. :homebrew:
I had ordered the giant tweezers from a site on Amazon promising "2 day shipping" last week. When I got the shipping notification it said "Delivery date - July 27th" and I saw the origin in China. Well, that was unexpected. Looking at the shipping info it actually looks like they may arrive soon but that's pretty lovely of them.

What giant tweezers did you order? I've been thinking I might like to have such a thing to manage certain games.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Buy the handbook (or whatever the small one is called), get a kindle/e-reader, or learn the rules enough to never need it again.

kindle/e-reader would be great, as would any laptop, if MMP would come into the 20th century and put out a electronic version of the rules. I hate them so much some times.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 5, 2016

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

SavageMessiah posted:

What giant tweezers did you order? I've been thinking I might like to have such a thing to manage certain games.

I got this type:
http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Curved-Tweezers-Aquarium-Aquatic/dp/B01CI1YJ1E?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

But I see a lot of people getting this type as well:
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...2A20FX7J89YRXK6

I'll report back when I get them as to how well they work. They guys playing today forgot theirs and they were regretting it because the stacks of counters were falling overa everywhere.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

SlyFrog posted:

kindle/e-reader would be great, as would any laptop, if MMP would come into the 20th century and put out a electronic version of the rules. I hate them so much some times.

I scanned all of the rules into PDFs and put them on my iPad (and into DevonThink for quick searching) but I also ordered a cheap copy of the mini-rulebook today which I plan on spiral-binding for travel. I took my ASLRB to the shop today to review rules and check them as they played and it was a beast to haul around. At home, when messing around solitaire its great but traveling (which I didn't really expect to do but it was pretty fun so.. it'll probably happen again), I'll prefer the tiny text and smaller form factor over the massive tome. By far the cheapest place I've found for this stuff has been NSW Wargaming Store (http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/mmpasladsqle.html). The prices are the lowest and they have decent and fast service. I found them through Boardgamegeek but the guy who I met today (who has been playing since '85) said this is the cheapest place to buy ASL (and other stuff) that he's found.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Last I checked, Poland in Flames was sort of middling in terms of reviews. Admittedly, I haven't checked around, but it does require a lot of Bounding Fire Productions modules and the hard-to-find Armies of Oblivion (GIMME A REPRINT, DAMNIT!)

Glad you mentioned that.

The Ritterkrieg website posted:

This is not a complete game. Ownership of the following products are required to play all of the included scenarios:

ASLŽ Boards: 3, 5, 6, 10, 13, 17, 18, 21, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 45, 46, 52, 57, 59, 62, 63, 64, 65, 1a, 2a, 3a, 5a, 6a, 7a/b

MMP/Hasbro: Beyond ValorŽ, Armies of OblivionŽ

BFP: Into the Rubble, High Ground 2, Blood and Jungle, Crucible of Steel

YIKES

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

he1ixx posted:

Glad you mentioned that.

YIKES

Yeah, that's the reason I haven't bought any Unofficial Modules other than a China-Burma-India one. Too many requirements for official (or not) products that are out of print and cost too drat much if you can find them.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

he1ixx posted:

I scanned all of the rules into PDFs and put them on my iPad (and into DevonThink for quick searching) but I also ordered a cheap copy of the mini-rulebook today which I plan on spiral-binding for travel. I took my ASLRB to the shop today to review rules and check them as they played and it was a beast to haul around. At home, when messing around solitaire its great but traveling (which I didn't really expect to do but it was pretty fun so.. it'll probably happen again), I'll prefer the tiny text and smaller form factor over the massive tome. By far the cheapest place I've found for this stuff has been NSW Wargaming Store (http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/mmpasladsqle.html). The prices are the lowest and they have decent and fast service. I found them through Boardgamegeek but the guy who I met today (who has been playing since '85) said this is the cheapest place to buy ASL (and other stuff) that he's found.

Did you rubber cement in the 30 pages (okay, I'm guessing roughly, it's probably more) of errata, that you cut out strip by strip from each of the pages?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Also, this is a truly strange coincidence, as I have spent the last several days slowly (over a few hours) clipping ASL counters with my Oregon Laminations 2.5" clipper.

I also built the matchbox storage system for the counters (years ago), but it did not go particularly well. It is harder than you would think to get the things to line up reasonably when glued.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody have general strategies for the government in Cuba Libre? I understand that economic control is paramount, as that dictates your ludicrously expensive civic actions, but I can't seem to see a clear strategy that doesn't immediately tank a third of the way through the game.

It seems like if you keep support high enough to maintain the aid coming after the first propaganda, you might be able to survive half way. Is antagonizing the syndicate to knock out their gorillas and steal cash even viable?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

Anybody have general strategies for the government in Cuba Libre? I understand that economic control is paramount, as that dictates your ludicrously expensive civic actions, but I can't seem to see a clear strategy that doesn't immediately tank a third of the way through the game.

It seems like if you keep support high enough to maintain the aid coming after the first propaganda, you might be able to survive half way. Is antagonizing the syndicate to knock out their gorillas and steal cash even viable?

The government bot seems like the most flawed of all of them. Since it keeps that minimum reserve of 9 resources and 4 cubes, between the 3rd and final Propaganda rounds I felt like it had to pass more often than it took an op + action. But that might be a problem for a human-controlled government, too? Seems like paying to remove multiple layers of terror is a chump move unless it's the 3rd Prop round.

The playbook explains that the government's best chance is to win early, but I agree with you that it seems like its only chance.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

CaptainRightful posted:

The government bot seems like the most flawed of all of them. Since it keeps that minimum reserve of 9 resources and 4 cubes, between the 3rd and final Propaganda rounds I felt like it had to pass more often than it took an op + action. But that might be a problem for a human-controlled government, too? Seems like paying to remove multiple layers of terror is a chump move unless it's the 3rd Prop round.

The playbook explains that the government's best chance is to win early, but I agree with you that it seems like its only chance.

If there's more than one terror it almost never seems worth it to mess with anything until after the propaganda reset. Perhaps the most constrained COIN faction I've played yet. If only there were an op or SA to gain resources, they wouldn't seem so hamstrung.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

If there's more than one terror it almost never seems worth it to mess with anything until after the propaganda reset. Perhaps the most constrained COIN faction I've played yet. If only there were an op or SA to gain resources, they wouldn't seem so hamstrung.

Yeah, I meant to write "final" round, not third, which is really the only time the expense seems worth it.

It also seems like the Government should entrench in Havana and do the minimum required to keep the other cities supportive. That 12 points of support/opposition is enormous.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

I changed up my sorting for ASL. I moved anything that wasn't general game markers (that is, I moved all the army units) into small baggies then going into bigger baggies. The big upside to this is that now all the German and Russian units fit into Beyond Valor's box along with its mapboards and scenarios. The game markers are in a couple of trays for easy grabbing. This is the most satisfied I've been with ASL storage so far, even if it leaves me with 30 empty trays stacked up....

I also got to FINALLY play a tank scenario in Starter Kit 3: "Sherman Marches West." I lost horribly, and it took twice as long as I expected (i.e. about 8 hours of play sided with very casual pace and food breaks and rules flipping through Starter Kit 3's bad rulebook), but yeah, this sells me on ASL. The tanks are fiddly, but they aren't handed out like candy and in general managing their counters was not as awful as I feared it could be. Here's a picture with a lazy breakdown of what is going on:

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Trynant posted:

I changed up my sorting for ASL. I moved anything that wasn't general game markers (that is, I moved all the army units) into small baggies then going into bigger baggies. The big upside to this is that now all the German and Russian units fit into Beyond Valor's box along with its mapboards and scenarios. The game markers are in a couple of trays for easy grabbing. This is the most satisfied I've been with ASL storage so far, even if it leaves me with 30 empty trays stacked up....

I also got to FINALLY play a tank scenario in Starter Kit 3: "Sherman Marches West." I lost horribly, and it took twice as long as I expected (i.e. about 8 hours of play sided with very casual pace and food breaks and rules flipping through Starter Kit 3's bad rulebook), but yeah, this sells me on ASL. The tanks are fiddly, but they aren't handed out like candy and in general managing their counters was not as awful as I feared it could be. Here's a picture with a lazy breakdown of what is going on:

This looks great and fun.

I finally got all of my counters clipped this weekend. I wish I had gotten the 2.5" corner cutter instead of the 2" but I'm still happy with the results. I still have Rising Sun in the box and I'll hold off on popping that one until I play a few games from Beyond Valor. It feels good. This week is a bunch of solo playing around.

Did you play the tank scenario solo or was it with someone else? How experienced were they? The AFV stuff looks really drat complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

he1ixx posted:

This looks great and fun.

I finally got all of my counters clipped this weekend. I wish I had gotten the 2.5" corner cutter instead of the 2" but I'm still happy with the results. I still have Rising Sun in the box and I'll hold off on popping that one until I play a few games from Beyond Valor. It feels good. This week is a bunch of solo playing around.

Did you play the tank scenario solo or was it with someone else? How experienced were they? The AFV stuff looks really drat complicated.

Played it with friend. He was "learning" from me (i.e. I was the one teaching him all the prior stuff and we were kind of roughing through this together). Definitely one factor in it taking forever. He still kicked my rear end though (I'm all the blown up Russian tanks).

The AFV stuff, in his words, "adds a lot." It does, though there was a simpler "just tanks" scenario we could have picked so this was jumping an extra step forward.

IMHO it's a lot more manageable as long as you're not trying to jump into it without doing some guns (i.e. the artillery stuff) first. Tanks share a lot of their firing rules from the guns, but then add moving and tank destruction to the mix. I'd also would probably try a "tank only" scenario as the introduction to tanks next time I get a chance for learning stuff, but eh.