Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You are either a huge troll or literally retarded if you think this would be a good thing. Or your an accelerationist which falls under literally retarded.

tbh i think its perfectly reasonable if bernie was willing to concede for concessions and hillary told him to gently caress off. like it or not, but the bern man got a large chunk of the primary vote with a lot of it being the future of the democratic party. eventually the business friendly part of the dems are going to have to reconcile with the growing populist wing of the party.

if they don't and just try to freeze the progressive wing out of the party, they'll get wiped off the map (and absolutely deserve to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Can Donald Trump gently caress this up so badly that the R's lose the house? My gut tells me yes, but my brain and heart tell me also yes

There's a tiny chance. The Democrat would have to win with the sort of blowout that's only happened a couple of times in US history, so don't get yourself too hyped for it.

Course, with any other candidate there would have been absolutely zero chance, so that's something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Can Donald Trump gently caress this up so badly that the R's lose the house? My gut tells me yes, but my brain and heart tell me also yes

I wanna say no but he can put a good dent in it that can be exploited by midterms

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Best case I see is a lot of seats flip but not enough to take it back. Then the GOP sacrifices Paul Ryan.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I wanna say no but he can put a good dent in it that can be exploited by midterms

Isn't 2018 way worse for dems in terms of seats open though? They need to do really well now while there is a giant orange moron shouting offensive things at everyone

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The media being played for suckers seems to be over. If they're going to hold everyone's feet to the fire all of a sudden there is a possibility for a catastrophic loss if republicans get branded as supporting Trump. Bending the knee was retarded, but this crop of republicans didn't have as much foresight as the anti-goldwater crowd and they've all bent the knee like a bunch of fools

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You are either a huge troll or literally retarded if you think this would be a good thing. Or your an accelerationist which falls under literally retarded.

Remember, this is the guy who's angry that the Democrats aren't solely catering to him, a white dude, and instead involved themselves in identity politics. He's a pre-60s white supremacist Democrat who's angry his loser rear end isn't put in front of more deserving people simply because he won the womb lottery.

Business Gorilla posted:

tbh i think its perfectly reasonable if bernie was willing to concede for concessions and hillary told him to gently caress off. like it or not, but the bern man got a large chunk of the primary vote with a lot of it being the future of the democratic party. eventually the business friendly part of the dems are going to have to reconcile with the growing populist wing of the party.

if they don't and just try to freeze the progressive wing out of the party, they'll get wiped off the map (and absolutely deserve to)

Populism has a horrible regressive streak to it, and treating it like the Democrats should welcome the chud flood with open arms would really make them no different than the Trump-infected GOP.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Also, there's a nonzero chance that Trump will fail so hard that the Republicans explode into a bunch of mutually hostile regional microparties.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Well the democrats in Iowa decided to piss away our chances at taking Grassley's Senate seat. Looks like Patty Judge will be getting the senate nomination. She is an awful blue dog. Big AG ties and very bad on labor issues.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

The media being played for suckers seems to be over.

Boy I sure wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ratoslov posted:

Also, there's a nonzero chance that Trump will fail so hard that the Republicans explode into a bunch of mutually hostile regional microparties.

Inshallah. (Which is apparently now ensconced in my autocorrect :haw:)

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

I think you and many others are vastly overestimating how "progressive" this wave is. Sanders is going to lose by a bigger delegate margin than Clinton did in '08. Theres only a handful of primary contests where progressives have won/been competitive. If they actually turn up and vote in 2018 I'll honestly be surprised.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^^I guess that's why Obama is talking about expanding social security and a $15 minimum wage nationally is suddenly on the table for democrats, it's just a progressive mirage

rkajdi posted:

Remember, this is the guy who's angry that the Democrats aren't solely catering to him, a white dude, and instead involved themselves in identity politics. He's a pre-60s white supremacist Democrat who's angry his loser rear end isn't put in front of more deserving people simply because he won the womb lottery.

Populism has a horrible regressive streak to it, and treating it like the Democrats should welcome the chud flood with open arms would really make them no different than the Trump-infected GOP.

No different except for you know, the lack of massive amounts of bigotry of every stripe imaginable

Like it's not an either/or thing, democrats can be economic populists while not being terrible regressives on social issues, it's possible!

rscott fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 5, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

YodaTFK posted:

I think you and many others are vastly overestimating how "progressive" this wave is. Sanders is going to lose by a bigger delegate margin than Clinton did in '08. Theres only a handful of primary contests where progressives have won/been competitive. If they actually turn up and vote in 2018 I'll honestly be surprised.

its totally cool if you want people like bernie to gently caress off. just don't sit there shocked when the people you're telling to gently caress off don't come out and vote for you

edit:

rscott posted:

No different except for you know, the lack of massive amounts of bigotry of every stripe imaginable

Like it's not an either/or thing, democrats can be economic populists while not being terrible regressives on social issues, it's possible!
this is the new thing now. everyone who brings up a whiff of economic liberalism is just branded as a racist/sexist because that way, the big donors of the party can be the liberal party without actually implementing liberal ideas that hurt their pocketbooks.

i think its pretty funny that now that we're talking about bernie people are posting "WELL WHAT ABOUT THE BLACK PEOPLE????" when we just had a lengthy conversation about concern trolling like 2 pages ago

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 5, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Inshallah. (Which is apparently now ensconced in my autocorrect :haw:)

The GOP establishment wants free trade and secretly loves illegal immigration and outsourcing to depress wages. Trump has won the GOP base by promising protectionism, punishment for companies doing outsourcing, and massive crackdowns on immigration.

That's kind of a problem for them.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

its totally cool if you want people like bernie to learn when a loss is a loss, but don't be surprised when all us white college students throwing tantrums continue to throw massive tantrums, I want my free college and gently caress all you for taking it away from me

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sean10mm posted:

The GOP establishment wants free trade and secretly loves illegal immigration and outsourcing to depress wages. Trump has won the GOP base by promising protectionism, punishment for companies doing outsourcing, and massive crackdowns on immigration.

That's kind of a problem for them.

not to mention the GOP is well aware that they need the latino vote to have any hope of surviving the next twenty years. and trump is out there waving a giant flag that says "gently caress mexico"

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

rkajdi posted:

Look at this post right here. Look at it.
Yes that evil Bernie. That woman hating white supremacist.

Populism in America means the average person starts to stand up against the economic butt loving that's been going on for 50 years now. Calling them communists doesn't work anymore since not enough people remember or give a poo poo about the soviet union, so I guess the new thing is to claim they are bigots. It's amazing. He's angry that the democrat establishment is catering to the business intrests that own the party instead of catering to the people, and you somehow managed to work white privilage into that.

Middle class white america finally starts to stand up to the 1% that's been loving everyone over, and instead of working together, the response of black activists and the self hating white crowd is to tell them to stop fighting, that they have no cause for complaint since they got hosed over the least. It's bizarre.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 5, 2016

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

its totally cool if you want people like bernie to gently caress off. just don't sit there shocked when the people you're telling to gently caress off don't come out and vote for you

Bernie Sanders is cool and good and more people like him in congress would be great. But there isn't a hell of lot of evidence that this supposed wave actually supports progressive economic reforms as opposed to just "gently caress hillary". If they want this poo poo to happen they need to turn out and do it in force, fighting for the better canidates.

Also maybe take a break from posting if just talking about poo poo gets you mad as hell.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Not voting against trump is just about the whitest thing you can do, lol.

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Populism in America means the average person starts to stand up against the economic butt loving that's been going on for 50 years now. Calling them communists doesn't work anymore since not enough people remember or give a poo poo about the soviet union, so I guess the new thing is to claim they are bigots. It's amazing. He's angry that the democrat establishment is catering to the business intrests that own the party instead of catering to the people, and you somehow managed to work white privilage into that.

Middle class white america finally starts to stand up to the 1% that's been loving everyone over, and instead of working together, the response of black activists and the self hating white crowd is to tell them to stop fighting, that they have no cause for complaint since they got hosed over the least. It's bizarre.

maybe...a meltdown about BLACK ACTIVISM is the whitest thing you can do...

Zelder fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 5, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The post you quoted never even mentioned Sanders but you immediately pretend that it did. Good job proving everyone's point I guess.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Bernie lost because he couldn't make a large enough tent to attract enough voters. That, and money, is how you win in a two party system. He did fine on the money aspect.

He lost get over it, plug your nose, and vote for Queen Abuela.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

The post you quoted never even mentioned Sanders but you immediately pretend that it did. Good job proving everyone's point I guess.

Are your literally retarded? Who was that post referring to in not Sanders?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lol you're literally saying that it's all the blacks fault

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Are your literally retarded? Who was that post referring to in not Sanders?

The posted you quoted was talking about MattD not Sanders. Not is Sanders populism incarnate.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Well the democrats in Iowa decided to piss away our chances at taking Grassley's Senate seat. Looks like Patty Judge will be getting the senate nomination. She is an awful blue dog. Big AG ties and very bad on labor issues.

Are those things bad for getting elected in Iowa?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Are those things bad for getting elected in Iowa?

Doesn't matter if big ag is good to Iowa. We need a 50 state strategy that only supports ideologically pure candidates!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Where on earth did all this tear-soaked straw come from.

Self hating white crowd.

Go gently caress yourself.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

YodaTFK posted:

Bernie Sanders is cool and good and more people like him in congress would be great. But there isn't a hell of lot of evidence that this supposed wave actually supports progressive economic reforms as opposed to just "gently caress hillary". If they want this poo poo to happen they need to turn out and do it in force, fighting for the better canidates.

i definitely agree on this and it sucks because of posts like this:

:yikes:

i'm more than happy voting for hillary if she actually plans on implementing progressive policies but there's a part of me that is really worried that as soon as the primary is over she's going to run to the center right and then i'm browbeaten into picking the lesser of two evils. i'm not interested in choosing between candidates who's only real difference on entitlements are how much they plan on cutting from the system. i think that bernie is a huge loving deal because i would have laughed at you if you told me he was gonna give hillary a scare (however brief) in 2016. i think people are tired of picking between diet republican and full republican and are realizing it doesn't have to be like this. instead of openly embracing the progressive wing, however, lots of people (including a large chunk of this thread) have decided its better to call all of these people racists and bigots instead.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wasn't the whole "I'm focusing on the economic situation, racism isn't a problem" thing what held the new deal coalition together until Kennedy and Johnson et al decided that being a host to a pack of frothing racists from dixie wasn't a viable choice for the party going forward?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That's a quality loving meltdown right there.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Soooo, Trump already got called out on Muhammad Ali yesterday, has anyone brought up that this is the anniversary of Tianneman Square? Just wondering if he still has such sensitive, heartfelt and nuanced views as last year.

Bulgaroctonus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 5, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't the whole "I'm focusing on the economic situation, racism isn't a problem" thing what held the new deal coalition together until Kennedy and Johnson et al decided that being a host to a pack of frothing racists from dixie wasn't a viable choice for the party going forward?

Only one candidate in this election volunteered for the pack of frothing racists

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

i definitely agree on this and it sucks because of posts like this:

:yikes:

i'm more than happy voting for hillary if she actually plans on implementing progressive policies but there's a part of me that is really worried that as soon as the primary is over she's going to run to the center right and then i'm browbeaten into picking the lesser of two evils. i'm not interested in choosing between candidates who's only real difference on entitlements are how much they plan on cutting from the system. i think that bernie is a huge loving deal because i would have laughed at you if you told me he was gonna give hillary a scare (however brief) in 2016. i think people are tired of picking between diet republican and full republican and are realizing it doesn't have to be like this. instead of openly embracing the progressive wing, however, lots of people (including a large chunk of this thread) have decided its better to call all of these people racists and bigots instead.

This garbage is why we're not supposed to primarychat FYI

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

idiotsavant posted:

It's also cool because it totally undermines/ignores the part where the white liberal really IS the worst enemy of black people, and that as soon as any black people raise (almost always totally valid) questions about someone's unexamined/unaware racism in political or feminist threads, everyone comes running to be the first to tell them how wrong they are and that they're getting worked up over nothing and really what's the big deal. It happens every. single. time.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered this prevailing attitude of "You aren't allowed to have an opinion on race relations unless you yourself are the correct race" is probably a contributing factor in Trump's success so far.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Soooo, Trump already got called out on Muhammad Ali yesterday, has anyone brought up that this is the anniversary of Tianneman Square? Just wondering if he still has such sensitive, heartfelt and nuanced views as last year.
Did he say something about Ali other than calling him a great guy (and being called out for not wanting him in the country because of his religion)? And what has he said about Tianneman Square?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Fojar38 posted:

At the risk of being tarred and feathered this prevailing attitude of "You aren't allowed to have an opinion on race relations unless you yourself are the correct race" is probably a contributing factor in Trump's success so far.

However, if you look at white people opinions on US race relations based on the history of US race relations... there really is a big point to sitting down, shutting the gently caress up, and taking us at our word when POC talk. For much of our history people have ignored the words coming from POC in favor of thinking white = right and where has that gotten us? Lot's of dead black kids at the hands of cops and far more incarcerated for crimes whites get off away with, huge racial disparities in education and economic futures, and a successful Trump bid for the GOP's nomination.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did he say something about Ali other than calling him a great guy (and being called out for not wanting him in the country because of his religion)? And what has he said about Tianneman Square?

crushing protestors with military forces is a-ok, maybe even cool and good

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

nutranurse posted:

However, if you look at white people opinions on US race relations based on the history of US race relations... there really is a big point to sitting down, shutting the gently caress up, and taking us at our word when POC talk. For much of our history people have ignored the words coming from POC in favor of thinking white = right and where has that gotten us? Lot's of dead black kids at the hands of cops, huge racial disparities in education and economic futures, and a successful Trump bid for the GOP's nomination.

Which is true, but I can see how being consistently told "You are white and therefore wrong, QED" would frustrate people to a significant enough degree to just go "gently caress it" and support Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Head on over to him then. People should end up where they are headed.

Fojar38 posted:

It's not that it isn't allowed, it just keeps getting proven to be real god damned unlikely.

• Locked thread