Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The day after EU4 came out I told a friend who was map-game-curious that EU4 was decent but should really get a few DLCs before he buy it because it seems decent but janky. Nothing ever changes. Except if we are mad now, its because after HOI4 was delayed Johan implied PDS totally did change, which just makes it sort of sad Stellaris was released in the spring instead of the fall or maybe even next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Johan was right in that we changed. We actually delayed something this long. Hoi4 at the time of original planned release was really not up to par. Releasing then would maybe been akin to hoi3 release, hence the delay. Before we would just have released it.

(not as bad though but you get the idea)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Laughing hysterically in real life about American Ukraine. I also like the French redoubt in the Alps that lasts for years, whatever the gently caress is going on with Italy seizing France from Germany, and... and... oh god, so much more.

There is so much that is so amazingly, wonderfully terrible in this video. It really deserves a close, attentive viewing.

Hearts of Iron is a cursed franchise.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Why did nationalist spain turn into the united states...?

Also, yeah, in both of those, France is really quick about launching naval invasions of Italy right after the capitulation.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 5, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Astounding. Paradox managed to release a worse turd than HoI3. Amazing how far went this company during these last two years.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I have over a hundred hours clocked in Stellaris. Those 100 hours have been fun. It's still a bad game, just a bad game I happen to enjoy.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBSSN9Y9qY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPaY2Zba58

if you can watch these and not be concerned about what the gently caress is happening idk what to say

im a big fan of the game being more sandboxy than realism but this stuff is just dumb

Second one looks fine to me.

Both of these videos seem to have finished before the war did, so no peace conferences and that sorting out borders.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Laughing hysterically in real life about American Ukraine. I also like the French redoubt in the Alps that lasts for years, whatever the gently caress is going on with Italy seizing France from Germany, and... and... oh god, so much more.
The stubby little Russian Empire enclave that gets released in the middle of the still-expanding Reich?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Why did nationalist spain turn into the united states...?

If you look at Morocco, that is the United States, they must must have invaded Spanish Africa, and Spain must have capitulated, but wasn't completely annexed.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tuskin38 posted:

If you look at Morocco, that is the United States, they must must have invaded Spanish Africa, and Spain must have capitulated, but wasn't completely annexed.
Well, that's kind of silly.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Well, that's kind of silly.

Probably the equivalent of Free France.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

In HOI series it shows the controller color as a solid color, so if it says "United States" in Spain or something that doesn't mean United States owns it, they just did a naval invasion there. It is not actually the owner of the land, just the occupier.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 5, 2016

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I'm melting down over these timelapse videos. Help

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Do the timelapse videos have the "Historical" option turned on that keeps the AI decisions pretty normal?

Otherwise,

:supaburn: AHHHHHHH :supaburn: PANIC! :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: HOIIV IS THE WORST GAME EVER!

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Groogy posted:

In HOI series it shows the controller color as a solid color, so if it says "United States" in Spain or something that doesn't mean United States owns it, they just did a naval invasion there. It is not actually the owner of the land, just the occupier.

I'm surprised you even have to explain this, to be honest. I guess a lot of people just don't understand this.

Some thoughts that might make things easier to digest in the future:

Democracy nations are given an option to occupy or liberate. If they liberate, they setup a new independent democracy that is aligned to the Allies (if the liberator is part of the Allies). This way the original country re-appears but the conquering force can continue to use the land to push back the Axis. This might already be in the game in a way.

Maybe show occupying colors as stripes in conjunction with the original nation's colors. Sort of how in Stellaris when who nations have planets in the same system. This might make the "snaking" people are complaining about a lot less distasteful for them knowing that they don't really "own" it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Groogy posted:

Yes, but in that stream, the U.S. instantly took the entirety of mainland Nationalist Spain without any visible invasion. So it was probably a (perhaps overeager) capitulation.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do the timelapse videos have the "Historical" option turned on that keeps the AI decisions pretty normal?

Otherwise,

:supaburn: AHHHHHHH :supaburn: PANIC! :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: HOIIV IS THE WORST GAME EVER!
I'm not sure that's relevant here, since it looks like at least all the major players were fighting on the normal sides of things.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Easy to explain, national unity is low and a lot of the victory points are on the coast. Voila, surrender which means control is given to the victor. Which is why France surrenders pretty much when you get to Paris because their unity is pretty low.
Surrender does not mean end of war when factions are involved. So no peace conference and only control is transferred, not ownership.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 5, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Or wait, no, on closer inspection, the mainland is being invaded - by Britain. (For some reason, I thought it was republican spain there. Couldn't actually read the name in the pink.) While the U.S. was occupying morocco. I don't see any US landings on the mainland at all, but I suppose that means that the slightly odd thing is just that they conceded to the US rather than to Britain.

Anyway, formal ownership doesn't mean that much, since by the time that's wrapped up the game is for all intents and purposes over. I was wondering specifically about the control shift.

edit: Except, hell, there's a little nugget of Nationalist Spain yellow that keeps fighting back after the capitulation (if that's what it is)! What on earth is going on there.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 5, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Strudel Man posted:

Yes, but in that stream, the U.S. instantly took the entirety of mainland Nationalist Spain without any visible invasion. So it was probably a (perhaps overeager) capitulation.

I'm not sure that's relevant here, since it looks like at least all the major players were fighting on the normal sides of things.

Considering that Greece had more than a decent chance at surviving both timelapses, Turkey joined both times, Afghanistan had some fighting, Yugoslavia never got conquered by the Germans, Hungary went allied on the 2nd timelapse (I think?) and some Spain/Sweden/Bulgaria shenanigans...

Sure, the Germans were fighting the Russians and the Allies and France joined the Allies both times, but just because the majors are doing (mostly) what they are supposed to doesn't mean that everything is historical. The same goes for the potential for those 2 videos not being the common outcome, just some cool ones that the authors may have wanted to show off.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Groogy posted:

No I remember people arguing over the fact that nomad diplomacy was gone. Or like dynamic trade centers, etc.

I think people still complain about the lack of dynamic trade routes, but i haven't seen many defenders of the old system around lately, at least.

...my god, though. People really wanted the incredibly broken perpetual-war hordes back?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
The United Kingdoms took most of northern Spain and grabbed Madrid, which caused Nationalist Spain to capitulate and their remaining core territory to be given over to the faction leader of the Allies, the United States.

The fact that Nationalist Spain keeps popping back up isn't caused by them having large forces squared away in the Pyrenees; it's Vichy France's and Germany forces pushing against the Allies and 'restoring' the provinces to the Axis province-owner.

One weird thing is that in the 1936 start Republican Spain is yellow and Nationalist Spain is a orange/brown, but in the 1939 start Republican Spain doesn't exist as a tag and Nationalist Spain takes it's yellow color.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 5, 2016

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Well on war end if it happens before 1945 in that case would have them force Democratic government on Spain if I remember correctly. The different ideologies have different AI for how to do peace treaties. Also I made it completely scriptable so if you wanna do crazy stuff you can do that too.

Strudel Man posted:

edit: Except, hell, there's a little nugget of Nationalist Spain yellow that keeps fighting back after the capitulation (if that's what it is)! What on earth is going on there.

Can't see video but it can either be that it is detached from homeland, (only homeland surrenders) or it can have been liberated by allies in which case it will go back to Nationalist Spain. For instance if Allies invade and take back Belgium it will be automatically returned to Belgium and not the ally.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Considering that Greece had more than a decent chance at surviving both timelapses, Turkey joined both times, Afghanistan had some fighting, Yugoslavia never got conquered by the Germans, Hungary went allied on the 2nd timelapse (I think?) and some Spain/Sweden/Bulgaria shenanigans...

Sure, the Germans were fighting the Russians and the Allies and France joined the Allies both times, but just because the majors are doing (mostly) what they are supposed to doesn't mean that everything is historical. The same goes for the potential for those 2 videos not being the common outcome, just some cool ones that the authors may have wanted to show off.
No, but it means that the goofiness is probably not due to those decisions.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
did people in this thread look at believable worlds and conclude that every other paradox game is clearly unplayable garbage because strange things happen in those maps, too

Groogy posted:

Also, this. Every Paradox game is prone to some degree of border gore or whatever, but seeing "United States" pop up in some weird place means something very different than it does in EU4.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Groogy posted:

Can't see video but it can either be that it is detached from homeland, (only homeland surrenders) or it can have been liberated by allies in which case it will go back to Nationalist Spain. For instance if Allies invade and take back Belgium it will be automatically returned to Belgium and not the ally.
I don't think so. It's just a little piece of the mainland that for some reason didn't get handed over with the rest, and it immediately begins invading the rest before getting trounced by the US.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also all of this like province control border switching and so on, it has nothing to do with AI at all. It is all gameplay mechanics. The AI has as little power over it as the player has. Just want to make that clear, it is not the AI suddenly switching over everything to someone else or something like that. IT is the actual mechanics in the game and it is gonna make a lot more sense when you actually play the damned thing instead of just watching random colors rapidly switch around on a youtube video. Mainly because you get events telling you what is going on and such stuff.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Strudel Man posted:

No, but it means that the goofiness is probably not due to those decisions.

Unless I could actually see the game played on my pc so I could look at the stats and decisions myself, I don't think I'm willing to claim something as extreme as 'HOI4's AI is poo poo and should worry you'.

Decisions in HOI3 have just as much change to radically change your game from the historical outcome, and I don't doubt that that same phenomenon could happen in HOI4.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Scrree posted:

the faction leader of the Allies, the United States.

what fresh heresy is this

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

what fresh heresy is this
Not the traditional answer, but probably the realistic one.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PleasingFungus posted:

I think people still complain about the lack of dynamic trade routes, but i haven't seen many defenders of the old system around lately, at least.

I never played EU3 but a less totally rigid trade system would be good yes, I don't think that's really the same as wanting old EU3 back though.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

The old system was really crap though, the only charm of it was that you could create new trade centers. It's interaction was also pretty much the original eu4 cardinal system if you remember that. Oh anyone remember when it wasn't automated and you had to actually constantly mash in the merchants on every single trade center manually. Oh yes it was sooo good and dynamic, besides the fact that it wasn't.

e: Also trade did not flow, trade goods belonged to a trade node and did not move and nations would compete for shares in those nodes.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 5, 2016

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Groogy posted:

The old system was really crap though, the only charm of it was that you could create new trade centers. It's interaction was also pretty much the original eu4 cardinal system if you remember that. Oh anyone remember when it wasn't automated and you had to actually constantly mash in the merchants on every single trade center manually. Oh yes it was sooo good and dynamic, besides the fact that it wasn't.

Small countries making obscene amounts of money on trade because they have literally nothing else to do..

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tomn posted:

Same thing in terms of complaining about Paradox, though. If people were complaining that Paradox is bad and lazy because EU4 was just EU3 with a facelift, Stellaris 1 is essentially Stellaris 0 with a facelift so it's less a new and unprecedented level of bad laziness and more "they didn't have a base they could fall back on this time."

Not that I personally think Paradox is bad and lazy, mind you, just noting that the complaints about fundamentally about the same problem in a different context. I agree that consumer-side it does work out pretty differently, but given how space 4Xes tend to do I'm inclined to think that maybe the genre just fundamentally needs more time and money nowadays than most other genres not to come out looking half-baked.

A lot of people mention Distant Worlds, but point of curiosity (not a rhetorical point) - did anybody here play Distant Worlds without the expansions? What was that like?

well i thought it was cool back then too

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

As a general rule, small nations in EU3 was hilariously broken.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Found this http://darkest-hour-game.com/aar/2014-MCWAR-WWII/Barrick_WW2ExAAR-2014-04-15.pdf
at that link which is real cool. Imagine if you could play the game at that level with restricted information dependent on the ones above you in the chain to tell you how to act or feeding information down to the ones below you in the chain and reacting on how they act.

Bonus, I want to be a Soviet field marshal not knowing when I'll get shot in the front of my head at night while I'm sleeping.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Why is Stellaris bad again? I just want to make sure so I know how to stop enjoying it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fintilgin posted:

There is so much that is so amazingly, wonderfully terrible in this video. It really deserves a close, attentive viewing.

Hearts of Iron is a cursed franchise.

falangist poland just popping up at the end and taking over germany was spetacular

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

teacup posted:

Why is Stellaris bad again? I just want to make sure so I know how to stop enjoying it.

It doesn't have as much content as a 4 year old dlc'd up game at release and also there's some bugs.

What more do you need?!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Plus people are really defensive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

teacup posted:

Look for interesting stuff to do past the midgame.