Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Did something happen with the block list because I am seeing MIGF posts and it is harshing my buzz.

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can you auto-bookmark threads that you start

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

spanky the dolphin posted:

You know how in the Music app in artist view each album sort of stickies to the top of the screen as you scroll down? Is that a loving nightmare to code? Cause I could imagine that working in this scenario. The username of the current post is up top with the ... Icon and a down arrow for skipping to next post on the right side.

That's interesting. It's all a web view so we could use any of the billion "stick a thing atop your webpage" styles and/or javascripts to do it. I've never seen an implementation that wasn't a bit janky though.

drunken officeparty posted:

Can you auto-bookmark threads that you start

There's a setting for that in your User Control Panel, is it not working from Awful?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Getting constant crashes with the just released version (3.13). Frequent crashes on starting the app and when trying to post replies.

Using an iPhone SE running 9.3.2.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

AstroZamboni posted:

Getting constant crashes with the just released version (3.13). Frequent crashes on starting the app and when trying to post replies.

Testing from my SE

edit: no problem here. Not negating your problem, just adding a data point.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Tried deleting and reinstalling. Still crashing a lot.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Also, scrolling through forums is really herky jerky suddenly.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sorry about that. I'll check for crash reports and hopefully fix it up soon.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

After today's update Awful is actually quite a bit quicker for me than before. I'm on a 4S.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Stare-Out posted:

Oh man, I never noticed scroll to end. Good to know! As for the button for skipping single posts, I really can't say. Press down on a post and have a "Skip" option there? I don't have much of a clue how the programming side of the app works so I'm mostly guessing.

Jesus Christ I never saw it either. Likely cause those controls go away when you scroll down

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey is it possible and if it is do you think it'd be a cool idea to have a little throbber animation for when pages are loading?

Here's a little rough test I put together today that I think could work:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sure. We have fancy ones for some themes already, so the infrastructure's in place.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Oh that's good. What do you need to recieve on your end? A png sequence?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hey is it possible and if it is do you think it'd be a cool idea to have a little throbber animation for when pages are loading?

This owns

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cool but please make the lines join up properly in the middle

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Soricidus posted:

cool but please make the lines join up properly in the middle

For sure. Was just figuring out the motion for a start.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Here's a link to the throbber, I've made it in @1x, @2x and @3x. Let me know if it works!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That is perfect.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yo. Ever since the latest update, the app CTDs any time you go back to it from the home screen or the app switcher after leaving it . iPhone 6s+ , newest OS

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yo. Ever since the latest update, the app CTDs any time you go back to it from the home screen or the app switcher after leaving it . iPhone 6s+ , newest OS

Try 3d touch to go to a screen that isnt forums list

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Try 3d touch to go to a screen that isnt forums list

That isn't really an option for me (not the guy you responded to) or anyone else on an iPhone 6 or older model.

Edit: this happens even when I am not at the main forums list when I try to go back to Awful.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 5, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, the latest update seems to have some trouble with the cached forums list from the previous version, it seems. When I checked the forums list this morning, the only forums that were visible were ones that I had visited threads from via Bookmarks. I logged out to clear the cache, logged back in, got an instant crash, logged back in again and everything's fine now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Same here, using both an iPhone 6 and iPad Pro. It doesn't matter what page I'm on, it'll quickly crash on start then be fine until I next start it up.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Just chiming in on the latest release... I just updated to 3.13 and I'm getting endless crashing on an iPhone SE running iOS 9.3.2. Crashes while switching pages, crashes when opening from the app switcher and home screen, crashes when replying. I wasn't getting any crashing on the previous version.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Hey firsttime longtime thank you for dealing with goons for free holy poo poo this thing is amazing. If there isn't an option to embed images from my phone's library not as timg automatically but img instead already, can their be one? I'll take my answer off the air thank you again

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Glitch I'm seeing.

Behold, my bookmarks.

Yeah that ain't right.

Let's click on that top thread:

Yeah that ain't right either.

I used to get this a lot in forums view, and I could fix it by backing out to the forums list and refreshing. Now it's happening in bookmarks too and I could only fix it by rebooting the app.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Here's a link to the throbber, I've made it in @1x, @2x and @3x. Let me know if it works!

Is it okay if I steal this for my app? Would be useful as a loading screen when the app starts up.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I too want to opportunistically copy sweet design work for free*. You're cool with that right?

* Actually I don't

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I too want to opportunistically copy sweet design work for free*. You're cool with that right?

* Actually I don't

This may be a good time to mention that I'm the developer on Windows Something Awful reader, and when I mean "My app", I'm referring to that. Like how I asked if I could use the thread icons (some of which have been replaced by Kazy to fit Windows better.)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

To be fair, who can keep up with all these awful apps

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I didn't even know there was more than one. I will always stick with this one for as long as he keeps putting the funny patch notes in. It's the best feature.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman is the main reason this app is even close to a success

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sereri posted:

To be fair, who can keep up with all these awful apps

iOS is the only one without multiple clients available. One day I might change that (if I ever get around to finishing what I start :getin:). But if I do, it's a proof of concept for porting with Xamarin, not something people should actually switch to.

But seriously, this is all I wanted to do with it

It's a gif right now but I could probably change it to use Win2D to make the backgrounds transparent and fade out instead of just disappearing. I tried showing it for threads and PMs but those load too quick, so you can't see the full animation and it's really jarring. But loading the app, making posts and new threads, or uploading images take long enough that it shows it run at least once.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Not sure why but starting yesterday every time I open the app all my bookmarks are erased.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AstroZamboni posted:

Seconding this, using a 5 and 9.3.1. It also crashes whenever I lose service or turn on Airplane Mode and it keeps eating posts, seemingly like it actually replied but nothing shows up. I had to make this post twice, haha.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
In addition to the previously reported crash bugs, pull to refresh thread now always takes me to the top of the page instead of last unread post. 5s on 9.3.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Welp, I'm an rear end.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
3.13 sure is crashing a lot when it's the active app while my phone is unlocked.

5S on latest iOS

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

Is it okay if I steal this for my app? Would be useful as a loading screen when the app starts up.

I'm happy for it to be used in other awful apps, go for it. You should definitely set it to fade out too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

dragon enthusiast posted:

In addition to the previously reported crash bugs, pull to refresh thread now always takes me to the top of the page instead of last unread post. 5s on 9.3.

Same. 6s on 9.3

• Locked thread