Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
From what I heard about Gates, a couple of mechanics present in the first two titles got taken out (like Hunger) making the game much easier. I think the reaction was more that it was boring compared to the first two games. Also yeah, most Pokemon were only from Gen 5, which didn't help its case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They didn't even have every Gen 5 Pokemon in the game. It's crazy how low-effort the game seemed to be.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dexie posted:

Knowing that Politoed will always be a better 'mon.

Politoed is only better because it was lucky enough to get Drizzle. If it didn't it would be languishing at the bottom of the 'most forgettable Pokemon' barrel.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Evil Eagle posted:

I downloaded the Gate of Infinity demo because I was wondering how it could be as bad as people say. Why is the camera so zoomed in? :psyduck: can't see poo poo. The demo's only 2 dungeons though so I didn't really get a good idea of why it's bad.

The starter selection is poo poo, and you can only accept one mission at a time, making it a huge pain in the rear end to upgrade your home base. Also there's no post-game to speak of, so you have even less of a reason to bother with upgrading your home base.

It's still not a bad game, just really disappointing coming from Explorers of Sky. Super Mystery Dungeon fixed pretty much every problem I had with it, and a few I didn't know I had!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Aithon posted:

Then what is its wrath?

Its perpetual teen angst of never becoming an adult frog.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Poliwrath is super cool.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

Politoed is only better because it was lucky enough to get Drizzle. If it didn't it would be languishing at the bottom of the 'most forgettable Pokemon' barrel.

Politoad is better in the only category that matters: being cute as gently caress.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i am a friend of politoed

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

“The curled hair on Politoed’s head is proof of its status as a king. It is said that the longer and more curled the hair, the more respect this Pokémon earns from its peers.”

Politoed is cool and good you guys. Bow down to the king. :colbert:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Politoed is a Disney level quality character design

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's called politoed because it has many toes

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dexie posted:

“The curled hair on Politoed’s head is proof of its status as a king. It is said that the longer and more curled the hair, the more respect this Pokémon earns from its peers.”

This explains why it evolves with the King's Rock

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Silver Falcon posted:

The starter selection is poo poo, and you can only accept one mission at a time, making it a huge pain in the rear end to upgrade your home base. Also there's no post-game to speak of, so you have even less of a reason to bother with upgrading your home base.
Pretty much this. The 'one mission at a time' thing reeks of padding to make the game seem longer.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

http://jb2448.info

This seems to be most of the series. I've never read them before so hopefully they stick around, because I can't justify spending a ton of money on them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

god spent sunday reading the pokemon special manga and i will too

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Special is pretty sweet. 5 chapters in and 2-3 pokemon have legit died.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
pokemon dying is badass

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Dexie posted:

Politoed is cool and good you guys. Bow down to the king. :colbert:

Down with all the Politoed lovers.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think Poliwrath could beat Politoed in a fight

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

mabels big day posted:

I think Poliwrath could beat Politoed in a fight

I was going to comment on how Poliwrath has a slight edge vs Politoad due to Fighting STAB but then I looked at its moveset and wow it learns no good physical Fighting Moves for its stats. The best one it can use is Focus Blast with its Base 70 Special Attack.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Politoed had its time to shine, alongside Ninetales, in last gen's weather wars, but unless you're using rain in OU, it's back in its home of PU. Poliwrath fairs slightly better in NU, due to a nice typing and alright defensive options.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Special is pretty sweet. 5 chapters in and 2-3 pokemon have legit died.

Don't worry, they'll quickly undie, because nothing and no one stays dead in PokeSpec.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Don't worry, they'll quickly undie, because nothing and no one stays dead in PokeSpec.

Oops, graveler totally busted into a million pieces but one trip to the poke center and he is ok. (Poke centers are magic)

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Double post. Special is still super cool still. Pokemon should have aged better with me. I want to watch the anime past red/blue but I just cant.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Pokemon should have aged better with me.

nah

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Explain why. In 50 words or less which shouldn't be a problem.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cute monsters for children pandering to a higher age bracket loses the entire point

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

if i ever post more than 50 words put a bullet in me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you mean like consecutively or life time

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you mean like consecutively or life time

eh, I'm not picky

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Ruggington posted:

cute monsters for children pandering to a higher age bracket loses the entire point

Aging doesn't mean it necessarily has to curse or have blood but watching an idiot build up for failure 6+ times is pretty disheartening.

This is coming from someone who has watched og and half of johto like 5 times. I just feel the original season had a deeper tone.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's nostalgia my friend

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Aging doesn't mean it necessarily has to curse or have blood but watching an idiot build up for failure 6+ times is pretty disheartening.

This is coming from someone who has watched og and half of johto like 5 times. I just feel the original season had a deeper tone.

the anime isn't compelling because it's a poorly written cheaply animated piece of merchandise fluff

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the only difference in the first season is that they didn't know it would hit america so it's loving weird

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I've decided to raise a trade evolution only team now. Politoed, Kingdra, Machamp, Trevenant, Gigalith, Steelix.

Something tells me I'm going to be spending some time farming king's rocks since I need three (two kingdra's (one to train, one as living dex filler), and Politoed).

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's nostalgia my friend

You are right but....but...but....

Special does seem better though as a 30 something....though I won't let go of season 1. Ok shut up! I'm just going to watch season 1 again.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

Houle posted:

I've decided to raise a trade evolution only team now. Politoed, Kingdra, Machamp, Trevenant, Gigalith, Steelix.

Something tells me I'm going to be spending some time farming king's rocks since I need three (two kingdra's (one to train, one as living dex filler), and Politoed).

Kingdra doesn't need a King's Rock to evolve, it needs a Dragon Scale.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

You are right but....but...but....

Special does seem better though as a 30 something....though I won't let go of season 1. Ok shut up! I'm just going to watch season 1 again.

special does cool things with its world and has likeable characters

it's a lot of fun I'm glad you like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ruby is the best one btw

• Locked thread