Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
SA is anything but a dead gay forum. I read it daily and it cracks me the hell up on the reg. People just say that because theyre bitter garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I will fight every one. Fists only.

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug
Case in point: gnarly

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
this thread got gassed today and the OP was probated for a few days: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778885&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I get that it's a touchy topic and we don't want to alienate a cerain demo of forums posters but, it was pretty drat funny, and edgy, and think mods came down too hard on the guy.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

no,,, he'll only come back stronger and with bigger muscles

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

do you think more emoji would help

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I don't like that Skylark got probated for posting a thread saying she likes to cuddle, personally. I think liking things should be legal in GBS, or a second GBS for happy people could maybe be created.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I appreciate you coming back to this sinking ship, LadyAmbien.

Low content/no effort posting really kills any reason to want to participate in threads. An op that consists of a single sentence that was zero effort was bannable in the past. The first 3 replies being "gas", "gently caress you" or other useless one-line bullshit was bannable in the past. Habitual shitposting under the auspices of a really terrible gimmicks (DGSW, Orkin Mang, etc.) was bannable in the past.

If that's where you don't mind the forums trending to, that's fine. I just see it as forming these weird circlejerks with white noise overhead that everyone has to just sorta slog through to post funny stuff.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

what if we were all mods? has anyone considered it?

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

SA is anything but a dead gay forum.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Keg posted:

I don't like that Skylark got probated for posting a thread saying she likes to cuddle, personally. I think liking things should be legal in GBS, or a second GBS for happy people could maybe be created.

Skylark threads are A OK imo, whining about gbs shouldn't even be a thing imo.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Windows 98 posted:

All these :words: mean nothing because ultimately goons will not read OPs or posts with more than a paragraph these days. I am constantly making effort posts in GBS and nothing comes of it. Pretending like goons want high effort content is a facade to end facades. What goons want are easy threads like MS Clowns where the OP is short and sweet and then hopefully a few other goons get it off the ground within the first few posts. That very thread about clowns could have crashed and burn if the first 10 posts were "wow this is stupid OP suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat". The internet lynch mob swings both ways, but rarely in your favor. No one is even going to read your post, let alone hardly read my response.

youre right in that the some people who always joust at windmills for "quality content" and never participate or help in its creation but the forums mob is pretty fair imo

i've never seen the shitposter mob destroy a good thread

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS

Business Gorillas posted:

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

What is the source?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

kickascii posted:

this thread got gassed today and the OP was probated for a few days: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778885&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I get that it's a touchy topic and we don't want to alienate a cerain demo of forums posters but, it was pretty drat funny, and edgy, and think mods came down too hard on the guy.

threads like this (read: mocking anything tangentially related to women) have an arc where we crack jokes for a while but then one or two weirdos get super specific and turn it into a "i hate women" thread and that thread was already on the path

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

like i was a huge fan of the okcupid thread but when :siren:i stopped posting for a couple months due to a bullshit ban:siren: i guess the thread got gassed because people stopped posting idiot dating site profiles and started accusing a goon of rape or some ridiculous poo poo

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sestze posted:

Low content/no effort posting really kills any reason to want to participate in threads. An op that consists of a single sentence that was zero effort was bannable in the past. The first 3 replies being "gas", "gently caress you" or other useless one-line bullshit was bannable in the past. Habitual shitposting under the auspices of a really terrible gimmicks (DGSW, Orkin Mang, etc.) was bannable in the past.

If that's where you don't mind the forums trending to, that's fine. I just see it as forming these weird circlejerks with white noise overhead that everyone has to just sorta slog through to post funny stuff.

Lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Sestze posted:

suck my god drat balls

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Gnarlyhotel is OBSESSED w gbs. It's unhealthy really

hey gnarly

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Sestze posted:

I'd really like it if we could avoid snuffing out the unique humor and atmosphere of this place in the name of "content". that "white noise" you refer to is content to me, and it's exactly why I read these forums

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
If your high content thread can't take a few "kill yourself op" then your thread ain't poo poo bruh

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

Smash it Smash hit posted:

If your high content thread can't take a few "kill yourself op" then your thread ain't poo poo bruh

A CISHET SHITLORD
Sep 10, 2014

LOURDE OF THE SHITS
Pillbug

MiracleWhale posted:

I'd really like it if we could avoid snuffing out the unique humor and atmosphere of this place in the name of "content". that "white noise" you refer to is content to me, and it's exactly why I read these forums

Exactly. gbs is just gbs. It is unique and hilarious and I love it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

gbs should be a place where you can take your pants off, drink a booze, and just post

if you're so starved for "cool and original content" go to a clickbait site or 9gag or whatever new site is devoted to just reposting cool things other people made on the internet

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

youre right in that the some people who always joust at windmills for "quality content" and never participate or help in its creation but the forums mob is pretty fair imo

theyre too busy posting :golfclap: at puns in pyf

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Mom. Can you tell me why the bird prizes haven't been handed out yet? You wouldn't lie to me would you :(

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MiracleWhale posted:

yup. dgsws threads are by far the most fun to post in. everyones goofing off and being creative and running with ideas and they get shutdown and he gets banned. hes the master of absurdist tone shifts and hilarious metaposting but gets banned and probated for nothing and the one doing the baning and probating has a posting style thats like a bland brian regan protestant version of dgsw

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Serviette posted:

What is the source?

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=somethingawful

speaking of which. LA: how much would you/lowtax sell SA for?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

As far as I can tell the overarching plan is to rebrand the SA forums so it more closely resembles that Ep of the twilight zone where everyone has to he super polite+happy to each other so they don't get turned into jack inthe boxes

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

theyre too busy posting :golfclap: at puns in pyf

:lol: Well done, Orkin Mang! Goonspeed! :golfclap: :allears: :golfclap:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I want a name drop

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

maxhush posted:

As far as I can tell the overarching plan is to rebrand the SA forums so it more closely resembles that Ep of the twilight zone where everyone has to he super polite+happy to each other so they don't get turned into jack inthe boxes

someone literally got probated for 3 days by genesplicer for being 'negative' lol

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

MiracleWhale posted:

high quality post right here you need you need a new av (thought you were win98 (and was like this is too high quality for win98 what happened?))

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

maxhush posted:

I'm going to pee outside

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I need to let you guys know that humor is entirely objective and I know EXACTLY what this forum needs. Just look at my resume.

*slips on banana peel and file folder stuffed with thousands of PYF and Games posts printed on individual sheets of paper spill out all over the floor*

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

MiracleWhale posted:

i am a big fan of this post

It is a good postTM

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Keg posted:

Skylark shouldn't be exempt from the low/no effort posting rules just because she is a beloved fyad either. Or do you think she was punished because of misogyny #GBShateswomen and all that

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

yup. dgsws threads are by far the most fun to post in. everyones goofing off and being creative and running with ideas and they get shutdown and he gets banned. hes the master of absurdist tone shifts and hilarious metaposting but gets banned and probated for nothing and the one doing the baning and probating has a posting style thats like a bland brian regan protestant version of dgsw
betamax: they're uncovered.... the condpiracy :stare:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Orkin Mang posted:

someone literally got probated for 3 days by genesplicer for being 'negative' lol

Hopefully they learned their lesson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

:lol: Well done, Orkin Mang! Goonspeed! :golfclap: :allears: :golfclap:

*quotes gif of kitten walking across the keys of a church organ, missteping and falling off*
thats a great way to hurt ur bach!!!

jabroni1: :golfclap:

jabroni 2: looks like that cat has organ damage!!

jabronis3-50: :golfclap: bravo

• Locked thread