Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

zolthorg posted:

did u like the part where matt uses a loving lightning spell on a water elemental in like episode 2 or 3 and then forgets the loving water/lightning weakness for fourty episodes while having sensor weapon on at all possible times
Oh nooooo, they didn't play the game right! How will they ever beat it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

FFX was a good lp and Matt is the best member of the Zaibatsu.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
An FF13 lp would be great because the cutscenes are better fodder material and they will not be able to complete it because it's actually hard compared to 99% of the FF's.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh nooooo, they didn't play the game right! How will they ever beat it?

To be fair, I think the greatest proof of how inattentional blindness hits people super hard sometimes is Woolie and Matt forgetting the basic circle of weaknesses in like half the fights, hehe.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Dias posted:

To be fair, I think the greatest proof of how inattentional blindness hits people super hard sometimes is Woolie and Matt forgetting the basic circle of weaknesses in like half the fights, hehe.

It also doesn't help they are periodically returning to the game with up to a week in between sessions, so they sometimes forget a bunch of mechanics.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah bit it doesn't matter

People getting mad about them playing games, it's baffling that they still even follow them since they play most thing wrong unless they're liam

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah bit it doesn't matter

People getting mad about them playing games, it's baffling that they still even follow them since they play most thing wrong unless they're liam

For sure, I only care about the Best Friends being fun. As long as they can still progress reasonably, it doesn't matter how many mistakes they make. My point was, by the nature of their format, they are going to make a bunch of mistakes/forget things. If you expect otherwise, you are dumb.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

My only real complaint about the FFX lp was that Woolie ran to the guide a little to often and was kind of really bad at reading/explaining it to Matt.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

FFX had Grand Wizard Wakka and the THINKING and PUZZLES song. Any complaint, no matter how valid, is rendered moot.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I didn't even know you could access Walker mode early before Sector Alpha :aaaaa:

I wish Pat was on Zero so he could be in the intro as Slippy

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

zolthorg posted:

that lp is getting painful to watch because he's still using the wrong control setup and ignoring the game mechanics

i too am angry because they didn't play da games properly

how dare they get the extensive mechanics of battle raper wrong and not perform at a mlg-acceptable level :argh:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

"shortcut ahead, well i'm going this way!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Do not even ask posted:

i too am angry because they didn't play da games properly

how dare they get the extensive mechanics of battle raper wrong and not perform at a mlg-acceptable level :argh:

Hint: People are not as annoyed with the best friends not being great at video games while recording as they are with posts like this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Hint: People are not as annoyed with the best friends not being great at video games while recording as they are with posts like this

Sorry that people are not posting optimally, maybe you can share your MLG pro posting strats.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always make sure to inflict fire and poison damage on other posters because goons are weak to sick burns

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I didn't even know you could access Walker mode early before Sector Alpha :aaaaa:

I wish Pat was on Zero so he could be in the intro as Slippy

Is he playing from a fresh save? I'm pretty sure you can only access Walker mode early after you've beaten Sector Alpha and then go back.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Am I the only one who thinks there's a bit from the Wonderful 101 soundtrack in the Sector Alpha theme?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sorry that people are not posting optimally, maybe you can share your MLG pro posting strats.

I have one for you. Stop posting.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

I understand people not liking bad gameplay, but not when they get mad. Especially when you're watching to laugh at jokes. I can't watch streams of low-ranked people playing Rocket League because it makes my blood itch. Not because "you should be doing this not that!!!", but just because hurts it my eyes and brain. That doesn't apply to a comedy-based Let's Play channel, but I see where they're coming from.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tae posted:

An FF13 lp would be great because the cutscenes are better fodder material and they will not be able to complete it because it's actually hard compared to 99% of the FF's.

I practically held down the X button in fights all the way up to the final boss except for occasionally switching to a guard paradigm at times, how exactly is 13 hard unless you're counting the post game bullshit fights where you're finally supposed to actually customize your moves per turn?

e: okay that one fight against the archduke where he turns into a big face wall required a bit of timing to sync up my attacks, but that's literally the only fight I died on. Not even the final boss was any harder than that.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 5, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

its hilarious to see the matt twitter/tumblrtantrum response parroted back exactly with:
"oh sorry they didnt do all the mlg strats and power play the game"
when my complaint is not that matt is ignoring power player strats / strategic decisions that you can make by taking five minutes before recording to sort through the inventory (something that pat always does)
or even that matt flat out ignored tips from power players "pat on the podcast: hey you're remembering to use cheer every battle right?"
matt was actively not playing the entire game to the point where he couldnt even manage his favourite character / waifu / statue in his loving house's singular two mechanics of the elemental pairs (not a wheel in ffx) or casting the lower cost magic spell nuke that costs like 1/4 the cost of flare and does almost the exact same damage on element neutral enemies

matt didnt / isnt playing ffx to the point where all the way back at the blitzball game the game forces you to do, woolie asked "hey, maybe pause the recording you go take a break and ill read through the rules and try it" and matt was like "no"

or the laughing scene where matt acted like your generic gamefaqs child and worked to push his narrative so hard that he starts a conversation with woolie after the "awkward laugh" (which he has already spoiled and primed woolie extensively on to do a laugh along bit) where you can hear tidus and yuna laughing normally in the background and having a moment but woolie doesnt hear it because matt is dostracting him with his narrative: "huhuhuh*sans laughing continues* AND you think THATS BAD? like THATS THE BEST TAKE U GOT? you should hear what it SOUNDS LIKE IN JAPANESE LOL"

like gee matt. the super casual ff, pushed really hard in the west with full voice acting with some actors that can be kind of grating but overall surprisingly high quality for the time. if the laugh was so awkward and bad in japanese and they were localizing it specifically for an audience like you. youd think they would change that in the western script / delivery?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zolthorg posted:

its hilarious to see the matt twitter/tumblrtantrum response parroted back exactly with:
when my complaint is not that matt is ignoring power player strats / strategic decisions that you can make by taking five minutes before recording to sort through the inventory (something that pat always does)
or even that matt flat out ignored tips from power players "pat on the podcast: hey you're remembering to use cheer every battle right?"
matt was actively not playing the entire game to the point where he couldnt even manage his favourite character / waifu / statue in his loving house's singular two mechanics of the elemental pairs (not a wheel in ffx) or casting the lower cost magic spell nuke that costs like 1/4 the cost of flare and does almost the exact same damage on element neutral enemies

matt didnt / isnt playing ffx to the point where all the way back at the blitzball game the game forces you to do, woolie asked "hey, maybe pause the recording you go take a break and ill read through the rules and try it" and matt was like "no"

or the laughing scene where matt acted like your generic gamefaqs child and worked to push his narrative so hard that he starts a conversation with woolie after the "awkward laugh" (which he has already spoiled and primed woolie extensively on to do a laugh along bit) where you can hear tidus and yuna laughing normally in the background and having a moment but woolie doesnt hear it because matt is dostracting him with his narrative: "huhuhuh*sans laughing continues* AND you think THATS BAD? like THATS THE BEST TAKE U GOT? you should hear what it SOUNDS LIKE IN JAPANESE LOL"

like gee matt. the super casual ff, pushed really hard in the west with full voice acting with some actors that can be kind of grating but overall surprisingly high quality for the time. if the laugh was so awkward and bad in japanese and they were localizing it specifically for an audience like you. youd think they would change that in the western script / delivery?

Lol

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

zolthorg posted:

I can barely understand half of what you wrote but agreed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
basically my feelings on the best friends being bad at games is:

- if they're still entertaining while being bad, awesome
- if the incompetence actively starts hindering the videos, it sucks

pat missing fifteen chests in dark souls or getting huge isn't a problem to me, matt and woolie taking a whole episode to beat a boss because they get mind wiped by aliens after every session is

thank you for reading my post

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zolthorg posted:

Blitzball doesn't deserve that much commitment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

zolthorg posted:

Is that so

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're a big dumb weirdo, don't watch poo poo you're not enjoying, blammo

If you're not enjoying sbf's content, well, I'm sure you can put two and two together

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

You're a big dumb weirdo, don't watch poo poo you're not enjoying, blammo

If you're not enjoying sbf's content, well, I'm sure you can put two and two together

its an expression of legitimate complaint as to why i'm not watching it. after giving it a try. sharing that it wasnt very good itt. and being dismissed with a matt level excuse of the wrong approach/type/answer?

i love the best friends, subscribe to vessel for them, donate to them when they do non terrible streams and follow them on twitter to keep up on stuff the three of them are doing.

i understand the appeal to matt and why he's the most popular one and thats why i give his lps a shot.
but he's been actively declining for a while now.
to the point where we have lps that are liam dragging matt in to a room to play a dumb movie game and be like "look boss see its a game thats made to be like dumb movies which is the only thing you do instead of gaming these days."
he's the angry video game nerd of the channel. a tired bored guy who doesnt really care that much about games and wants to make dumb videos and podcasts about dumb movies

the podcast is one of the best parts about my work week and matt actively tries to sabatoge half of them these days

to quote him back at garbage like konky dong and ffx
"yeah but they should just do it better"

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

zolthorg posted:

its an expression of legitimate complaint as to why i'm not watching it. after giving it a try. sharing that it wasnt very good itt. and being dismissed with a matt level excuse of the wrong approach/type/answer?

i love the best friends, subscribe to vessel for them, donate to them when they do non terrible streams and follow them on twitter to keep up on stuff the three of them are doing.

i understand the appeal to matt and why he's the most popular one and thats why i give his lps a shot.
but he's been actively declining for a while now.
to the point where we have lps that are liam dragging matt in to a room to play a dumb movie game and be like "look boss see its a game thats made to be like dumb movies which is the only thing you do instead of gaming these days."
he's the angry video game nerd of the channel. a tired bored guy who doesnt really care that much about games and wants to make dumb videos and podcasts about dumb movies

the podcast is one of the best parts about my work week and matt actively tries to sabatoge half of them these days

to quote him back at garbage like konky dong and ffx
"yeah but they should just do it better"

You sound like one of those people who constantly bother them with irrelevant poo poo on twitter just to get their attention.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megalixir posted:

You sound like one of those people who constantly bother them with irrelevant poo poo on twitter just to get their attention.

What a random thing to say.

edit: I understand zolthorg's complaints and, while it feels like he may be being a bit harsh, one thing I like about the best friends is that they have like 3 different LP's going on at any given time so if you don't like one there's more than enough alternative content for you to watch. Which is kind of his point; it's possible to like the best friends while at the same time being annoyed by certain aspects of their channel or how they play games, which some people itt seem to like to pretend is not possible.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 5, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zelda Wiki posted:

The game explains many aspects of Tingle, including the meaning of "Tingle." According to the game, Tingle is not a person, but a state of being; a curse that can befall every living being [...]

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

lets hang out posted:

"shortcut ahead, well i'm going this way!"

Annoying but fortunately he got the gank squad his first try so he didn't actually need that shortcut.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

zolthorg posted:

This is probably why Matt doesn't post here anymore.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I love the Darknuts in TP, the first one is such a fancy fight too. It's too bad the best way to beat both them and Ganon is locking off, then running around like a madman swinging your sword. Like, the enemy AI seems to completely crumple if you're not Z-targetting poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's nothing wrong with any of Zolthorg's complaints. Aside from how specific some of the strategies he brought up were, but I can't say I'm not bothered when they ignore half of the game and then Woolie decides to say "The game is immature" when it's done.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They all talk over cutscenes and miss things all the time, not sure why you're just throwing that criticism at Matt.

Pat should haven been on controls for the FFX lp, he would have just grinded out the whole sphere grid after the first recording session.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

please stop defending FFX's honor as that implies it has honor to defend

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rodyle posted:

please stop defending FFX's honor as that implies it has honor to defend

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

FFX was a fun game that I still don't get why it has such a weird hate mob.

Like other than the tired billionth "THE LAUGHING IS BAD" fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

zolthorg posted:

did u like the part where matt uses a loving lightning spell on a water elemental in like episode 2 or 3 and then forgets the loving water/lightning weakness for fourty episodes while having sensor weapon on at all possible times

I liked the part where they found out the game had a run button.

Perfect Potato posted:

I can barely understand half of what you wrote but agreed

I don't understand why people hate the shift key.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 5, 2016