Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Hootington posted:

I learned that when whites champion issues that affect them they SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN CRACKER rear end HONKEY! WHO SAID YOUR MODERATE WHITE PRIVILEGED rear end CAN TALK AGAIN?!?

When unarmed people of color stop getting loving murdered in broad daylight by cracker-rear end honkeys who never get tried because "they were just so black" is considered proof of self-defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Banning flags, tearing down statues, violent rioting at political rallies, "re-education" of children: all hallmarks of progressive social movements.

It was a mistake for people in the former USSR to tear down statues of Lenin and Stalin, agreed.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

2 of those things are good, one of those things is neutral, and the last is something that a guy who thinks he's oppressed as a straight man came up with, and who isn't a progressive in the least.

Meanwhile you cheered when cops got off scott free for killing a teenager.

Did he cheer with Tamir Rice?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Feel free to champion your causes. Just don't say oh your cause isn't as important as my cause

I 100% agree that fixing the income disparity is the most important thing in this country right now.

However any fix for income equality that doesn't involve the deconstruction of systematic racism and sexism in this country. Isn't actually equality. As the disparity is still there between "them" and "us" is still there

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

Feel free to champion your causes. Just don't say oh your cause isn't as important as my cause

I 100% agree that fixing the income disparity is the most important thing in this country right now.

However any fix for income equality that doesn't involve the deconstruction of systematic racism and sexism in this country. Isn't actually equality. As the disparity is still there between "them" and "us"

Agreed

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

In the interests of starting a more policy based slap fight, I'm going to disagree.

Climate change is the most important issue facing this country right now. Not only that, but because we've delayed action so long, arguably it should take precedence over all other leftist/progressive/good causes for the short term, when the rare such conflict arises.

Usually we should be able to pursue and all of the above strategy, but Climate is by far the most important issue.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Dexo posted:

However any fix for income equality that doesn't involve the deconstruction of systematic racism and sexism in this country. Isn't actually equality. As the disparity is still there between "them" and "us" is still there

this is 100% correct and the issue i have is that when people say this:

quote:

However any fix for income equality that doesn't involve the deconstruction of systematic racism and sexism in this country. Isn't actually equality.
and start getting upset and start cranking up the concern trolling when it gets said like this:

quote:

However any fix for the deconstruction of systematic racism and sexism in this country that doesn't involve income inequality.
i'm not entirely convinced they're actually being genuine

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Climate change is already lost. We're so hosed, just face to bloodshed and visit the corals while they're still around

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

let the record show that everyone disagrees with rkajaldi and fights him constantly, it's extremely silly to throw that into the dnd hive mind poo poo

Crowsbeak posted:

Did he cheer with Tamir Rice?

He cheered when the cop didn't get indicted, it was pretty ghastly.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Zelder posted:

let the record show that everyone disagrees with rkajaldi and fights him constantly, it's extremely silly to throw that into the dnd hive mind poo poo

He cheered when the cop didn't get indicted, it was pretty ghastly.

Like I had numerous conservatives I knew decrying that decision.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It occurred to me that Trump might stay engaged on the political stage for the foreseeable future even if he loses to Clinton.

I mean whether his defeat is narrow or a landslide. "Crooked" Clinton clearly cheated to win right? So much voter fraud, so much. Look at Virginia, criminals getting to vote. Awful!

We go into recession, Garland gets on the SCOTUS, really anything Clinton attempts to push. Trump would be twitting about how much worst America is getting under to a very angry portion of people.

I know things are getting rough at his rallies now, but I fear he could incite a lot more violence after defeat.

Trump staying engaged I think also prevents the Republican establishment from being able to get his supporters back into the fold.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Climate change is already lost. We're so hosed, just face to bloodshed and visit the corals while they're still around

That's not how climate change works.

It always can get worse. While income inequality and discrimination are both pressing and critical topics (and advocacy and action should continue), climate change will further erode this nation's fundamental strengths the longer we ignore it.

Also it hurts our minority and poor communities the worst, but that's just insult to injury.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
It was more of a "this is a pretty open and shut case guys why are you suprised". But you stick your neck out and get your head cut off in DnD, right? :unsmith:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

And, hey, some of the policies we could put in place would also explicitly hurt the mother fuckers that are causing it. Win/win.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It was more of a "this is a pretty open and shut case guys why are you suprised". But you stick your neck out and get your head cut off in DnD, right? :unsmith:

Lol

quote:

As a clevelander: "Suck it, Debate and discussion, your tears make me immortal".

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Like 80% of these national outrage cases this one is a lot more reasonable when you arent getting emotional and imagining an ideal scenario where they, a supercop forums user would have made the right call, no problem.

As a clevelander: "Suck it, Debate and discussion, your tears make me immortal".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

you loving clown

like, i try not to let things on an internet forum bother me too much but your posting and racism is pretty shameful.

Zelder fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 5, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
You guys know ive had this avatar for months right? This isnt news to anyone?

I did my time in cat prison. Hard time.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 5, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Trabisnikof posted:

In the interests of starting a more policy based slap fight, I'm going to disagree.

Climate change is the most important issue facing this country right now. Not only that, but because we've delayed action so long, arguably it should take precedence over all other leftist/progressive/good causes for the short term, when the rare such conflict arises.

Usually we should be able to pursue and all of the above strategy, but Climate is by far the most important issue.

I'd argue Climate change is something more an international crisis than something important something to just Americans. Like Climate change is a humanity wide(well industrialized nations anyway) thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Everytime I see this comic I get annoyed because its such a bad visual. The artist really couldn't come up with something better than a black bar floating above an empty field?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

I'd argue Climate change is something more an international crisis than something important something to just Americans. Like Climate change is a humanity wide(well industrialized nations anyway) thing.

Just because it is an international issue doesn't make it our biggest issue as a nation. Like WW2, international cooperation will be required but so will changes on the home front, so to speak.

Even if America just did our part at home and paid out our share of funds to the developing world, that would be a massive boon to both this nation and the world.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Everytime I see this comic I get annoyed because its such a bad visual. The artist really couldn't come up with something better than a black bar floating above an empty field?

That's kind of a silly thing to object to.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Majorian posted:

That's kind of a silly thing to object to.

Not really, it's a visual medium. He could have been climbing a tree to get an apple and it would have greater metaphorical impact.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Business Gorillas posted:

tbh i think its perfectly reasonable if bernie was willing to concede for concessions and hillary told him to gently caress off. like it or not, but the bern man got a large chunk of the primary vote with a lot of it being the future of the democratic party. eventually the business friendly part of the dems are going to have to reconcile with the growing populist wing of the party.

if they don't and just try to freeze the progressive wing out of the party, they'll get wiped off the map (and absolutely deserve to)

Bernie's purpose is to be a canary in a coal mine. If his campaign gained no traction that would indicate that competent politicians can't push the ideas that killed him.

It did which means they can. And the "progressive wing" ( whoever you think that is ) are fools if they reject their own proposals when advanced by someone other than Bernie.

haveblue posted:

There's a tiny chance. The Democrat would have to win with the sort of blowout that's only happened a couple of times in US history, so don't get yourself too hyped for it.

Pulling a reverse Reagan and turning the map blue from sea to shining sea would begin a march leftward at all levels - just as Raegan's landslide victory everywhere made left wing politicians rethink things. It would embolden moderate republicans to show up at primaries and vote the crazy out - shifting the country substantially left by neutering the far right wing.

Hillary is going to win this thing. The question is by how much. The bigger her margins the greater the progressive momentum. Remember, Reagan himself wasn't a howling right winger. But by smacking down the left so incredibly hard he made it possible for them to ride his coat tails.

If you are a serious, real, progressive then doing everything you can to increase Hillary's margins is literally its own reward. The harder trump gets spanked, the more undeniable the country's rejection, the greater the downstream effect and the more intimidated the remaining republican legislators are.

Even if we don't get a majority if we scare them enough we can get things moving.

Or, you can stay home.

Your call.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dexo posted:

Bingo. It would be nice if we could solve these intertwining problems together.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 5, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Grognan posted:

I'm not defending Komen on feminist lines, I was trying to get an economic reason why it was bad. Or get someone to explain why Komen was bad from a feminist standpoint rather than "FOUNDER PRO-LIFE SHITHEAD"

It is having to do with reasons why brand worded protected class movements need to be considered in a wider point of view. Especially with causes that underlay all of them. Not to ignore or to put down, but to progress together in unity. It is going to be messy.

Komen is bad from a feminist standpoint because it does very little for actual women while commercializing the poo poo out of a 'woman's cause' to line their own pockets and allow people to think they're really helping women without having to really think about what's harming women . The best examples are 1.yanking funding from PP over 'abortion, icky' with no idea or concern for PP clinic's place in supply low income people with breast exams and recommendations/funding assistance for mammograms, and 2. Allowing an organization like the NFL to coat themselves in pink every October as a sign that they really do care about women, while paying their cheerleaders slave wages and ignoring it when their players beat the poo poo out of their wives and girlfriends.

If your original point was that certain organizations can push for a very limited change for good and people will fall behind them because they're 'doing good' even if they aren't doing it well then Komen fits the bill. But if you were going more for social platforms that end up with broad appeal, so much so it actually obstructs more radical changes because the broad support means more people who don't really want change at all, then you want something else. Sticking with feminists, maybe sex-positive feminism? There is a ton of intersection with labor rights because of sex work, but that stuff gets ignored a lot in favor of the same drat arguments over choice and the male gaze.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 5, 2016

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

Which is why we can't afford to be isolationist. Nothing we do by ourselves will fix climate problems. We have to work in concert with other countries in that one.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

McAlister posted:

Which is why we can't afford to be isolationist. Nothing we do by ourselves will fix climate problems. We have to work in concert with other countries in that one.

That's like saying "if I stop making GBS threads on the table it won't stop everyone from making GBS threads on the table so better keep making GBS threads"

Unilateral climate actions by the US are worthwhile and impactful on the climate even without additional foriegn action.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Fojar38 posted:

At the risk of being tarred and feathered this prevailing attitude of "You aren't allowed to have an opinion on race relations unless you yourself are the correct race" is probably a contributing factor in Trump's success so far.

The conversation nearly always plays out like this:
"Hey dude, that's kind of hosed up and racist to say"
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M RACIST, YOU'RE JUST BEING OVER-SENSITIVE AND READING INTO THINGS THAT AREN'T EVEN THERE"
"Dude gently caress you, you're being racist"
"gently caress ME??? OH, JUST BECAUSE I"M NOT BLAAAAAAAAACK I CAN'T EVEN HAVE AN OPINION?!"

And then it devolves into more gaslighting and piling on and white-as-gently caress unacknowleged, unexamined privilege. I say this as a white male. Some times it's someone raising a whackadoodle point of outrage. MOST of the time the person actually has a point, and if you shut up and read what they say and try to re-examine and question your own views, you'll probably get a better idea of their point of view.

For example - using "ghetto" in a derogatory way. If you unpack it even a tiny bit, there are some hosed up racial aspects there. Not particularly hard to see! Yet plenty of people will howl like babies when called out on it. "POC raises an issue relating to lived experience and gets shut down hard" is not an uncommon thing in political threads. Anyways that's too many words and I'm not defending anyone specifically or anything. It's just that it's aggravating to see it happen.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

That's like saying "if I stop making GBS threads on the table it won't stop everyone from making GBS threads on the table so better keep making GBS threads"

Unilateral climate actions by the US are worthwhile and impactful on the climate even without additional foriegn action.
Except that it's more akin to sewing your rear end in a top hat closed to keep from making GBS threads, because there will be short to medium term consequences of strict emission curbs, but the Chinese and the Indians will continue to poo poo on the table and everyone's food because there is absolutely no chance they will curb emissions if it causes domestic pain, I don't know, this is a terrible simile.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 5, 2016

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

???? That's not what they were saying at all and there's no reason to make a dumb analogy.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dexo posted:

You're right, which is why we're going full steam ahead with as much climate change as we can, because India will never regulate itself on this issue. Edit: And this isn't saying we shouldn't, it's just India and China will continue to contribute to climate change long after everyone else has done what they can.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

Not really, it's a visual medium. He could have been climbing a tree to get an apple and it would have greater metaphorical impact.

I mean, yeah, it's the weakest part of the cartoon, but I don't think it really diminishes the power of the metaphor. I didn't really pay it any mind until he brought it up.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

edit: i'd actually be a little upset with people not reading what i'm saying and saying i'm constantly having meltdowns but i came prepared to post in d&d

Speaking of which...

if you can show me some instances of someone actually supporting progressive ideals and still getting crushed in a midterm, i'll agree with you. afaik i don't think its ever happened before, so to me it looks like people like zoux and fishmech ranting about how they don't need the youth vote and nobody should take these loving kids seriously, only to get floored when said kids don't come out to vote for them in the midterms.

Geoff Peterson posted:

You're really going with "no progressive has lost a midterm"? Like, I'm not going to build an exhaustive list for you, but Feingold wasn't even six years ago.

Also... I'd love you to elaborate on this:

the angry white male thing is definitely real, but there's a pretty conscious effort to try and concern troll anyone who brings up economic justice out of the room or use the language of the identity politico's language to brand them so they don't build a coalition with each other

Is everyone who says "supporting rape and death threats is a bad look" or "don't minimize the harassment campaign your supporters have undertaken or try to justify it with provably false victim blaming" a shill for the monied elite? Or are they just puppets who don't know they're doing their bidding? Can you think of any economic justice people who haven't been tarred by this broad brush? Or is the untainted economic justice advocate (EJW?) a myth, like the losing progressive in the midterm?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Geoff Peterson posted:

Speaking of which...

are you really so petty that you desperately need the gorilla poster to acknowledge that they were wrong about something and you were right? because that's how your post reads to me. it's okay to just let someone have been wrong and move on without them genuflecting.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

are you really so petty that you desperately need the gorilla poster to acknowledge that they were wrong about something and you were right? because that's how your post reads to me. it's okay to just let someone have been wrong and move on without them genuflecting.

I really am that petty. I also [nicemeltdown] when any attempt at reasonable conversation about the flaws of the (overall pretty awesome) progressive movement is shut down by disingenuous fucks with concerntrolling that ~SJWscum~are tools of the "monied elite" and as such the dynamic that's been a drag on the movement since its formation may never be discussed.

FWIW, I was letting it go until:

edit: i'd actually be a little upset with people not reading what i'm saying and saying i'm constantly having meltdowns but i came prepared to post in d&d

But I was raised that petty bullshit shall be met with petty bullshit, and I'll be damned if I dishonor my family by letting that slide.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

is there a smilie that's the ironicat with more ironicats coming out of it?

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

Not the point. We've got an isolationist vein of populism cropping up that we can't afford to indulge because we need good relations with other countries in order to fight climate change effectively.

Cultivating these relations in no way prevents us from upping our individual game. We have to do both. An isolationist will neglect one of the two.

Edit to add: full disclosure - I was very much an isolationist when younger. I saw all aid, trade, and diplomacy outside our borders as bad and supported basically bubbling ourself up and ignoring the world. It was climate change that made me realize we simply couldn't do that because we need to engage with others to work this. Rising sea levels won't spare American shores because we were good on climate issues etc. Our only leverage is diplomacy or war - we ask people to be better or we make them be better. I prefer diplomacy to war. But diplomacy has no leverage without either war, aid, or trade.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 5, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Geoff Peterson posted:

I really am that petty. I also [nicemeltdown] when any attempt at reasonable conversation about the flaws of the (overall pretty awesome) progressive movement is shut down by disingenuous fucks with concerntrolling that ~SJWscum~are tools of the "monied elite" and as such the dynamic that's been a drag on the movement since its formation may never be discussed.

FWIW, I was letting it go until:

But I was raised that petty bullshit shall be met with petty bullshit, and I'll be damned if I dishonor my family by letting that slide.

This post makes me hope our anonymous benefactor swoops in with more avatars

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Lemming posted:

This post makes me hope our anonymous benefactor swoops in with more avatars

I'm certainly trying hard enough! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Guardian interviewed creationist yahoo Ben Stein, and somehow decided to call him an economist, but the interview itself is a good view into doublethink:

quote:

I applaud Mr Sanders for wanting to seriously raise rates on the rich. That is something that should happen. If he did it, there would be a lot of yelling and screaming but I don’t think the deficit would be affected very much. Mrs Clinton, I think, has a more balanced approach. I think probably a good approach. Mr Trump says he can both reduce taxes and reduce the deficit. That’s complete nonsense.

quote:

[If Trump is elected his policies] would be a disaster. Trade is very important. The US economy is roughly 15% trade dependent – very roughly 15%.

quote:

I am absolutely … I am open-mouthed, gasping, unbelievable [that Trump is the Republican nominee]. But he has his charms. There must be something people like about him. I don’t get him but there must be something people like. I’ll vote for him, by the way. I’ll vote for him because I think he does personify a kind of national pride which I think has been lacking in the Obama days

quote:

I don’t think Trump knows a goddamn thing about economics. But I like him anyway, I might add. I think Mrs Clinton knows something about it.

• Locked thread