Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

QuantaStarFire posted:

The only skin I don't like from Origins is Pharah's. I think her default looks a lot better, tbh.

Mercys that fight back are the worst because you really aren't expecting it most of the time. They usually just try to run away. Then you realize she's a better shot than you are and it's just sad. :(

Once I realized that Mercy's pistol was automatic I started wrecking with it. Not sure how that (and D.Va's pistol as well) got past me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Radioactive Toy posted:

Once I realized that Mercy's pistol was automatic I started wrecking with it. Not sure how that (and D.Va's pistol as well) got past me.

You have changed my life

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Bluhman posted:

If it's at point-blank I have no doubt. Further than that and I'd say it's a pretty risky gambit. Tracer's damage at distance ramps off extremely heavily; to the point that she mostly only does damage at real close-range and is made to annoy and grab attention at further distances to dodge all over the place.

Also she does literally half damage against armour, which means that with crits she's only doing regular damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

QuantaStarFire posted:

Mercys that fight back are the worst because you really aren't expecting it most of the time. They usually just try to run away. Then you realize she's a better shot than you are and it's just sad. :(

I solo killed a Pharah, as Mercy, three times in a single Anubis game.

We still lost.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is this a safe space where I can say that I like to play support because I'm goddamn clueless when it comes to doing damage? I can play mercy and lucio to a degree where I feel like I am always contributing, but give me a pistol or a rifle and I feel useless. It is like I have the reaction time of a goddamn 60 year old or something.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Vermain posted:

We still lost.

same, but a mcree

cool when you're the only person shooting the glowing high noon man

it was on Dorado tho

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is this a safe space where I can say that I like to play support because I'm goddamn clueless when it comes to doing damage? I can play mercy and lucio to a degree where I feel like I am always contributing, but give me a pistol or a rifle and I feel useless. It is like I have the reaction time of a goddamn 60 year old or something.

This product is made with all gamers in mind, so if you can't lead projectiles you can use hitscan, and if you can't use hitscan you can fire beams at people, and if you can't do any of that you can play mercy and have a good time & help out your team :)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Aiming in an FPS is more-or-less just a massive amount of built up muscle memory from playing hundreds and hundreds of games until mouse movements become automatic reactions instead of something you have to think really hard about. It's like speaking: you internalize an action (saying a sentence) to the point where you rarely need to consciously think about things like grammatical rules, sentence structure, etc., which frees up mental energy for considering the larger strategic/tactical decisions you have to make. There's no real special secret or inherent ability involved, merely time and dedication.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Vermain posted:

Aiming in an FPS is more-or-less just a massive amount of built up muscle memory from playing hundreds and hundreds of games until mouse movements become automatic reactions instead of something you have to think really hard about. It's like speaking: you internalize an action (saying a sentence) to the point where you rarely need to consciously think about things like grammatical rules, sentence structure, etc., which frees up mental energy for considering the larger strategic/tactical decisions you have to make. There's no real special secret or inherent ability involved, merely time and dedication.

Yeah, that is becoming more and more self evident. This is the first FPS I've played since Halo and for the first time I feel like maybe I should have checked out a call of duty or something between then and now. Anyways, overwatch is a fun game so I'm sure I'll get there one of those weeks!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Verranicus posted:

Would be nice if we could disable match chat globally or something instead of per match. Been seeing a lot more salt in chat lately.

People have seemed very upset today, win or lose. I can only assume it's because they aren't playing enough zenyatta

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Vermain posted:

We still lost.

Maybe because you weren't healing.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah, that is becoming more and more self evident. This is the first FPS I've played since Halo and for the first time I feel like maybe I should have checked out a call of duty or something between then and now. Anyways, overwatch is a fun game so I'm sure I'll get there one of those weeks!

Welcome to the club man luckily you don't have to aim to play junkrat or pretend to be a knight

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i can regularly hit moving targets midair with junkrat grenades while mine jumping but i can't use a basic hitscan weapon for poo poo, some fps skills are just a whole separate thing that need too much practice for me to care

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

I found it a lot easier to aim once I lowered my mouse sensitivity from 4000dpi to 800 and adjusted the in-game slider. Still, you're right that you need to let the muscle memory build up.

I find the training map is okay for practicing your twitch shooting if you want to improve your reactions and build up that muscle memory. There's two bots just outside the spawn that you can park yourself in front of with McCree or Soldier:76 that you can just alternate headshots on. Once they blow up, you can do it between the crates and stuff there until they respawn.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I discovered that if D.Va rams a Reinhardt into a corner and he puts his shield up that there's enough room for D.Va to stick her guns through the shield and kill him. So maybe that would come in handy at some point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I discovered that if D.Va rams a Reinhardt into a corner and he puts his shield up that there's enough room for D.Va to stick her guns through the shield and kill him. So maybe that would come in handy at some point.

you can just walk up to reinhardt and shoot him through the shields with anyone if you're close enough I think. you're probably gonna eat a hammer if you try tho

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The best feeling in Overwatch is when you're Pharah and you beat their Pharah repeatedly with air-to-air rockets.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The best feeling in Overwatch is when you're Pharah and you beat their Pharah repeatedly with air-to-air rockets.

Nah, the best feeling is when a Pharah or a Bastion ults and points their gun at Genji and gets it reflected back in their face.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Countblanc posted:

this is what you're all missing by not playing goon inhouses with us

Playing with goons is a ton of fun.

The last 3 times I joined up with a group of 6 though it seems like all it does is put us up against really good really organized teams on a standard rotation of Hanamura -> Anubis.

And gently caress both of those maps and playing teams that organized on quick match.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why does Lucio sound like Chris Rock if he's from Brazil?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Indecisive posted:

same, but a mcree

cool when you're the only person shooting the glowing high noon man

it was on Dorado tho

I hate Mercy so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNh4-VI13ss

To be fair she did save her entire team who were a bunch of clueless idiots who would have been high noon tobelsteined.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can just walk up to reinhardt and shoot him through the shields with anyone if you're close enough I think. you're probably gonna eat a hammer if you try tho

Defense matrix should repel the hammer and make him wack himself with it imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

OxySnake posted:

Playing with goons is a ton of fun.

The last 3 times I joined up with a group of 6 though it seems like all it does is put us up against really good really organized teams on a standard rotation of Hanamura -> Anubis.

And gently caress both of those maps and playing teams that organized on quick match.

This is how HOTS match-making works is that if you're in a party of 5, it tends to match you against a part of 5 as best it can, next best is 4+1/3+2 but much rarer and I think like <1% matches are 5v(1x5). I would believe Overwatch uses a similar algorithm where if you're in a party you'll also be matched against an equal party size (give or take).

There's also temporary MMR scaling where if you que as a party (even duo que), it artificially inflates everyone in your party's MMR for matchmaking purposes. So its possible you'll end up against a team with higher mmr than you'd normally face if you were just solo queing. Again that's just how HOTS handles it, but like I said, I'd be surprised if they weren't cribbing pretty similar set of match-making instructions.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Xaris posted:

This is how HOTS match-making works is that if you're in a party of 5, it tends to match you against a part of 5 as best it can, next best is 4+1/3+2 but much rarer and i think like <1% matches are 5v(1x5). I would believe Overwatch uses a similar algorithim where if you're in a party you'll also be matched against an equal party size (give or take).

There's also temporary MMR scaling where if you que as a party (even duo que), it artificially inflates everyone in your party's MMR for matchmaking purposes. So its possible you'll end up against teams with higher mmr than you'd normally face. Again that's just how HOTS handles it but like I said, I'd be surprised if they weren't cribbing pretty similar set of match-making instructions.

I just got matched as a solo queue against a 6-man team twice

Man, I should just ignore this game unless my friends are online, shouldn't I? Getting gold elims with Widowmaker with ONE kill fuckin' sucks.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dias posted:

I just got matched as a solo queue against a 6-man team twice

Man, I should just ignore this game unless my friends are online, shouldn't I? Getting gold elims with Widowmaker with ONE kill fuckin' sucks.

I don't know if OW is exactly the same, but in theory that 6-man party should loving suck or your match making mmr is insanely high. In Hots if you end up vs a (mixed or not) party as a small/solo que then its probably calculated that even as a party they must suck and you must be really good. And often you do stomp all over them which feelsgood to be a bunch of randos stomping a party. Still does suck to play though

E: But yeah play with friends anyways.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 5, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Somebody tell me how to Tracer, because I've had a couple games now where I try to jump a Widow and she just turns and one shots me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

use your teleports to confuse people. you have low health so you want to use your slightly better speed and dodges to make tracking you harder

Xaris posted:

I don't know if OW is exactly the same, but in theory that 6-man party should loving suck or your match making mmr is insanely high. In Hots if you end up vs a (mixed or not) party as a small/solo que then its probably calculated that even as a party they must suck and you must be really good And often you do stomp all over them which feelsgood to be a bunch of randos stomping a party. Still does suck to play though

does the overwatch stat tracking site show your mmr anywhere? it'd be nice to know how it's determined so you know why you're getting bad matches

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Xaris posted:

I don't know if OW is exactly the same, but in theory that 6-man party should loving suck or your match making mmr is insanely high. In Hots if you end up vs a (mixed or not) party as a small/solo que then its probably calculated that even as a party they must suck and you must be really good And often you do stomp all over them which feelsgood to be a bunch of randos stomping a party. Still does suck to play though

It could be that. Although with a majority of the player base hovering around that 50% win, I have a :tinfoil: suspicion that if you get to many games above 50% it will start putting you in situations it expects you to lose to bring you back down.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I know I'm bad, so it's not insane MMR. It just seems like everyone playing around my play level in LatAm is teaming up. Kinda sucks when you wanna just gently caress around with other classes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

OxySnake posted:

It could be that. Although with a majority of the player base hovering around that 50% win, I have a :tinfoil: suspicion that if you get to many games above 50% it will start putting you in situations it expects you to lose to bring you back down.

That's not really tinfoil, that's actually pretty much how matchmaking works in most games.

VV: Yep that. That's more or less exactly what I'd expect it to do. It does suck when its just some "lucky" streaks and you end up having some equally lovely matches vs teams way above your skill.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 5, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

OxySnake posted:

It's probably something like, translated from code into human-language, the system going "Wow these guys have won a lot more games than I expected them to in this span. Time to skip the slow-incremental and let's throw them at much better opponents and see if they can hold their own there."

Ideally a matchmaking system is trying to make fair matches for everyone, not just you. So if you're winning 8 out of 10 games then it's probably time to give you much bigger jumps in quality of opponent until you're up against players of equal skill, than to let you slowly climb MMR by crushing 80% of your games. And vice versa for if you're losing a significant portion of your games.

Xaris posted:

That's not really tinfoil, that's actually pretty much how matchmaking works in most games.

The tinfoil part is "to bring you back down". The system isn't trying to keep you down, it's trying to give you fair matches.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
How do you chat to all instead of team? P kissy brings up a weird menu.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Zarya is a loving monster once you get the hang of her.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Golem II posted:

How do you chat to all instead of team? P kissy brings up a weird menu.

Text chat? Tab switches between channels. "Match" is for all 12 players.

Shy fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 5, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Plan Z posted:

Zarya is a loving monster once you get the hang of her.

One mistake I was making early on was popping teammate and self barrier at the same time and then feeling useless for 8-10 seconds. Go in, bubble up, retreat once they start eating into your shields. Throw barrier on a teammate while your shields are recharging. Come back out once your self-bubble is ready to go. Once you get a good rhythm going you have a 4 second downtime between barriers and can lob grenades for the rest, while lasering anyone that comes too close.

Of course, don't hesitate to use barrier when the scenario calls for it. But in a low-pressure situation focus on soaking damage and charging up your laser.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

piratepilates posted:

I've got less deaths on average in a round when I play healers versus otherwise. They're top priorities but they also have escape mechanisms and you should be positioning yourself to be harder to hit by the other team without having to go through the rest of your team.

Yeah, as a Symmetra or Zenyatta i have a large array of escape mechanisms at my disposal.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bastion's ult goes from powerful to loving hilarious the moment you realize you can rocket jump with his cannon and basically become a TF2 soldier shooting nothing but crits for ten seconds down onto the people below. Heck, his "DOOT-DEET-DOOT-DEEE!" ultimate call-out even reminds me of the Soldier's Buff Banner trumpet.

Your enemy thinks they're facing an annoying hitscan robot and then instead find themselves facing a flying tank. It's even more hilarious if you charged your ult by swatting a Pharah player out of the sky repeatedly and then do her "death from above" job even better than she does with your huge shells.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Yeah, as a Symmetra or Zenyatta i have a large array of escape mechanisms at my disposal.

Symmetra ain't a healer, and Zenyatta doesn't have an escape mechanism either, which is why he's kinda lovely (I love playing as him still) and doesn't get played in competitive at all.

edit: well to be fair the sorta escape mechanism he has is to use an orb of discord and hope you can kill the person killing you quickly, that sorta works!

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Why does mercy's shift move bring you to dead players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

Golem II posted:

Why does mercy's shift move bring you to dead players?

So you swoop in and resurrect them.