Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Xguard86 posted:

We have a pair of 5 year old ex-racers just adopted 2 weeks ago. They've been excellent dogs but I have 1 concern around bedtime. I haven't gotten a solid night's sleep in weeks b/c the dogs just move around so drat much. Not like running around or anything overtly disruptive just little shifts and sighs and roll-overs that add up. I tried baby-gating them in the living room but 1 of girl cried almost all night and one of them (not sure which) had a pee accident.

I like having them in the room so I'd rather let them stay but drat I'm worried i'll never sleep right again. I've moved the two previously unused crates into the room and I'm slowly getting them comfortable with them. I'm hoping that the crates will limit some of the shuffling and give us a strong bedtime routine. I'm also running a white noise machine and hoping I'll adjust to two 50lb animals sleeping with me so I'm less sensitive to their movements.

What do y'all do with your dogs at night?

Oh, he totally sleeps in the room with me. It took me a couple months to start getting used to the little noises. You'll be ok :) I have a wire crate and it's actually noisier than just letting him hang out in the room so watch out for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xguard86 posted:

My whippet sleeps in bed with me (lol I said I would never let that happen when she was a puppy) and she wakes me up several times a night because she wants to be on top of the covers, then under, then on top. I'm so used to this now that I barely even wake up to do it. She snuffles and dream-jitters and snorts and reverse sneezes and licks my leg under the covers but I got completely used to it, you will too I'm sure!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It has gotten better. I think the dogs are more still too because no growl fests after someone steps on or nudges someone else.

I did put the crates in the room and leave the doors open. The dogs move in and out of them and one is them, I think, has spent an entire night in one.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
I've always been a light sleeper, so I wake up all the time with my two. I only sleep well when they're boarded so when we're on vacation or we have things we need to do late at night. My husband acclimated to them in about a week, but we're two years in and I wake up at least 5 times a night.

Edit: spelling

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I used to be a fairly light sleeper, but since moving to a city apartment I've simply adjusted to the noise, and unless Remy starts whining directly at me I'll sleep through any noises. I also have a couple inherited antique clocks , and adjusting their sound has probably helped quite a bit.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
industrial earplugs are the best thing ever invented for dogs who wriggle in the night...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think I've adjusted, unless I'm waking up and not remembering it. One of the beasts does like to wake up about 5 and rub her back on the bed. So, I have a fair number of earthquake nightmares.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kluliss posted:

industrial earplugs are the best thing ever invented for dogs who wriggle in the night...

I use a white noise machine bit that was even before I got Abby

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Xguard86 posted:

This is my first night with our new burgerdog and he is currently stretched out on our bedroom floor slowly gassing me to death

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Speaking of burgers, Casey's birthday came around last week, which meant our dogs shared a burg.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Level with me: how bad are the post burger toots?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I know that routine :3: <sniff> <sniff> . . . <YOMP>

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tree Goat posted:

Level with me: how bad are the post burger toots?

Rancid death clouds. So not any worse than normal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Certainly not as bad as what I witnessed and smelled when I got home from work, following Abby stealing some of my pizza the previous evening. Let's just say the carpet has been replaced.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

:siren: Help name this dog! :siren:
This cool dude is coming home with me on Saturday!

His racing name was Mohican Rico Ron, but my partner and I aren't too fond of the name"Rico". It is pretty good, but we'd love some help coming up with cooler names.

Club house leader is currently "Pablo"

Will post more pictures in the future!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Dude he's orange. "Taco".

Bonus: You can feed him his namesake on his birthday.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Horace-Noah posted:

Name him Pablo Picasso and be sure to call him an rear end in a top hat when he acts like an rear end in a top hat.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Can't believe I haven't seen this thread yet. My girlfriend breeds and shows whippets. The first time I went over to her house, I saw Jimmy. I thought the same thing as the thread title and had never seen a whippet before. Fast forward two years and we have a house, Jimmy's daughter Dixie and his son Ben living here. They are awesome dogs. Living in a rural area with plenty of space allows them to really open up. It always amazes me how quick they can run and how much they love to play. Ben is a dwarf. He is 12 lbs of pure terror. He growls at ghosts in his crate, don't know what's up with that. But yeah, whippets are amazing. We are getting another one soon, probably, and going to eventually breed together. I've shown one time and it was difficult. I would do it again!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Horace-Noah posted:

His racing name was Mohican Rico Ron, but my partner and I aren't too fond of the name"Rico". It is pretty good, but we'd love some help coming up with cooler names.

Archie

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Chipotle

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Horace-Noah posted:

Mohawk,

or real meta, name him Snake because the leader of the tribe in last of the mohican's name translates to big snake and also videogames

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Mohawk,

or real meta, name him Snake because the leader of the tribe in last of the mohican's name translates to big snake and also videogames

Seconding Mo

Also keep in mind that whatever you name him is not gonna be his name for long because you will twist it into the most ridiculous nick names and forget what his original name even was

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Lagomorphic posted:

Name him Pablo Picasso and be sure to call him an rear end in a top hat when he acts like an rear end in a top hat.

Exactly.

ps. keep those good names coming!

Can't do this one because I have red hair, freckles and a loose idea of commited relationships are*

*not true, we're engaged*

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Hawkeye because the last of the Mohicans (their half native bro) and also because Hawkeye from M*A*S*H*. Regardless, he is very handsome and I can't wait to see more pics.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
I'm loving beside myself right now.

We adopted our first greyhound and he came home with us last Sunday. In a week's time he's learned the stairs, gotten comfortable with the crate, and been pretty successful with housebreaking.

He threw up yesterday evening and it looked a bit funny- foamy with a little blood- so we took him to the e-vet, since it was a Sunday evening.

It's now 1:30 am and I'm waiting to hear from the e-vet if an emergency ultrasound confirms a potential diagnosis of a splenic torsion. 1 loving week of having this dog in my life, we've bonded so quickly...I'm just numb.

This all went down two days before his first vet visit. We were going to get him pet insurance this week. Surgery will destroy our finances, but we'll do it anyway if we need to because we are already attached. We'll figure it out. I just can't believe it. "Extremely rare" said the e-vet. Not what I wanted to hear after losing 2 of my 3 ferrets this year to lymphoma.

This dog, this awesome boy who adores us already and who we love right back, was the best thing we've had happen to us in a while amidst too much bad news. And now...gently caress, I don't know. I just want him to live. I want to go back to last Sunday. I want things to be okay again.

e: looks like it'll be an after-hours splenectomy. No sleep tonight.

e2: swollen spleen is out and the stomach was stitched to the abdominal cavity wall to prevent the future risk of torsion/bloat. Surgeon said it must have been causing him distress and could have rapidly devolved into a life threatening circumstance. He's got two days of telemetry and hospital observation. Hope we get to give this guy a nice full life.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 20, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

:glomp: You've done the right thing. He's very fortunate to end up with you as his owner. I hope he has a speedy (ha) recovery.

And look at it this way: now you won't have to ever worry about him getting bloat or hemorrhagic splenic tumors.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Maybe I'm a cynic, but what's the rescue's take?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Maybe I'm a cynic, but what's the rescue's take?

Don't worry about cynicism, it's healthy and the wife and I have had plenty of time to bat around hypotheses over the last 14 hours. We feel the rescue cares well for its dogs; ours has a half-tail from a distal tail amputation, but the rescue did not want a full amputation - only the ulcerated part of the tail. They allowed us to visit multiple times because we were waiting for the summer to bring the dog home and properly care for it and adjust it to our lives. He had diarrhea at the shelter during our visits, but it was during a temporary switch in foods and that could've been concomitant with the symptoms of what was happening.

We only just notified the rescue. The person running the rescue never heard of splenic torsion before but gave us a huge caution about bloat prior to adoption. They seem to have more experiential knowledge rather than clinical knowledge, and even the e-vet and surgeon remarked at how rare this circumstance was in greys. The rescue runner is pretty shocked and I'm sure this will be something they'll make sure to be aware of in the future.

The problem is that symptoms aren't obvious - our dog is a bit anxious to begin with and he's been eating grass and having an upset stomach, and we could have chalked that up to a change in his environment. He had a small streak of blood in his stool from time to time, which might have been attributable to an anal fissure. The prompt for us to take him to the e-vet was a white, foamy vomit yesterday evening with a light streak of blood in it. The e-vet initially chalked it up to an esophageal abrasion, and the only reason we caught this was because we went paranoid and got x-rays. Thankfully, having multiple ferrets has gotten us used to the whole "ounce of caution" approach.

So, we can't really find it in us to assign much blame anywhere - they clearly care for their dogs and were concerned to hear about this. They want us to show his radiology results to another e-vet that they use frequently and trust (even though they did say ours was good) just to see if these procedures were necessary and to (maybe) seek leverage for a refund on procedures, but a second opinion after the fact doesn't really seem to change things in our mind. His pulse went from 50 to 150 under anesthesia during the splenectomy, and the spleen was swollen and causing the stomach to begin torsing. It needed to be done, and money is money. He's recovering, so fingers are still crossed.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 20, 2016

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I can't believe you got your greyhound stomach staples

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
Wasn't exactly presented as a choice. The surgeon and vet both said that spleen removal would make stomach torsion potentially more likely.

As far as the gastropexy goes they're claiming it won't restrict mobility in the future or limit his physical activities. I hope so. I'm just exhausted and looking at every bright spot I can find right now.

e: hopefully he'll be released tomorrow. Luckily we have the whole summer off and we'll be able to focus on him.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 21, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I have a hard time seeing the pexy as anything other than a good thing. Plenty of owners of deep-chested breeds get it done as a preventative measure long before any sign of a torsion even happens. I toyed with the idea of getting it done on Rory because the practice I worked at offered laparoscopic gastropexies.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

It was meant to be a joke about greyhounds tiny tummies, sorry :]

He's a good dog and you're good owners!

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

ElectricSheep posted:

Surgery will destroy our finances, but we'll do it anyway if we need to because we are already attached. We'll figure it out.

Thank you for being a good owner, and I hope you and your grey are happy together for a long time.

If it helps, you can think of the cost of the surgery as a donation to the rescue, since they'd have had to cough up the money if you hadn't adopted him when you did. Or, maybe they just wouldn't have noticed at all, and he would have died from it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby at Greyfest, down to a mere 25 mph in her old age :corsair:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

skoolmunkee posted:

It was meant to be a joke about greyhounds tiny tummies, sorry :]

He's a good dog and you're good owners!

Thanks - and no harm, no foul so don't worry about feeling the need to apologize. I don't parse intent well on 2 hours of sleep, and I was already feeling a bit lovely about how quickly everything progressed from "oh, maybe he's just stressed" to major surgery so that probably bled through in my own tone.

We got to visit him twice post-op; the first time he was scared of us and shied away from everything, eventually warming back up to us and laying down. It was sucky, but I understood that 12 hours after surgery he was probably zonked out on meds. A nurse was watching his telemetry from the back and said she noticed his heart rate go down for the first time since pre-op. We went back 6 hours later to visit again and talk to his vet, and according to the office staff he calmed down after that second visit and stayed that way until today when we picked him up.

Second visit yesterday, you can see the wrap with all his telemetry gear. The look is a combination of "get me out of here" and "i need pee". one of those wishes came true 2 seconds later

Cone of shame, I laughed for like a solid minute because I'm an rear end in a top hat

His current state. He was super happy to see me bring his bed downstairs from where he normally sleeps with us, and crashed in an instant.

So far all's well that ends well. Now it's tons of medication and monitoring. I feel like I've had this dog for years, but it's only been 9 days. He's pretty cool :kimchi:

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

ElectricSheep posted:

His current state. He was super happy to see me bring his bed downstairs from where he normally sleeps with us, and crashed in an instant.

I'm so glad it seems to be going okay. Have you considered sleeping downstairs with him? Our older dog can't handle stairs at all any more, so we alternate sleeping downstairs on a mattress or the couch so he doesn't have to be alone at night (he's kind of clingy). It also means it's easier for him to wake someone up if his old-man bladder needs some relief at 3:00 AM.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
We're in shifts, wife's on the couch tonight. He's restless, mainly because he loathes the e-collar; we put it on him when we're sleeping because we can't monitor him.

Stalker factor is also in full effect, as he has gone looking for me several times when I go upstairs. I might have to relent and just sleep downstairs too, but we'll see how the rest of the night goes. I could use a bed.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Some of that may still be dysphoria from the anesthesia combined with the fact that he's basically in a brand new place. Anxiety even without the medical aspect is pretty much a given.

I'd like to re-emphasize how extremely lucky he is that you noticed something was up and were able to get him help. Torsions of any kind can go south extremely quickly (sometimes irreversibly so. :( ) I've seen dogs with bloat whose owners notice the problem at 2 am, arrive at the ER at 2:30, prepped for surgery by 330, and still arrest before the surgeon can make the first incision.

That, to me, would be the biggest plus to this whole thing. You'll never have to leave him with a dog sitter and worry about that happening while you're away.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Every morning Remy begins to go towards the elevators to my car and I have to stop him and turn him to the side exit to go to work. He always has such a hurt expression right at the moment I turn away from the possibility of a car ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lhet posted:

Every morning Remy begins to go towards the elevators to my car and I have to stop him and turn him to the side exit to go to work. He always has such a hurt expression right at the moment I turn away from the possibility of a car ride.

OMG I know those eyes. "Noooooo pls pls"