Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

lol 27k evil gold. Thanks looks like a great build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah they really hit their stride around turn 400 or so

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think I've found the fun in chaos finally. They are really good in tactical battles. Different in their no ranged infantry thing but good. Dwarves are a tough nut to crack though, seems nearly impossible with a mostly marauder army.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

gently caress this campaign, Karl Franz just showed up to kick my head at Winter Pyre, on the northern coast of Norsca!

Chaos feels like it needs help, both playing as and playing against. Their invasion is pretty sad.

It's turn 40 btw.

The problem is usually economics for me. I can manage 2 stacks with a deficit between 200-1.5k/turn, usually with the first stack rocking my primary lord+chosen/knights and the second stack sticking with Chaos Warriors and only a few things bigger than that to keep the deficit from getting unmanageably huge.

My observations after playing a few chaos campaigns is:

You can't split up your armies by too much, because if you make one mistake the AI is going to pick out one stack and run a 2-3 doomstack train on it the moment it gets out of reinforce range of your second stack. At the same time you can't leave your stacks close enough to support each other for too long due to infighting. The best bet is to advance along the same axis, closing distance between armies when you see multiple stacks approach, and use agents to hamstring the enemy armies one at a time, isolating them easily because the AI tries to idiotically kite your combined armies rather than just slamming their stacks into your stacks with *only* a moderate advantage. Even in the endgame it definitely feels more like a guerilla campaign much of the time than a great world-ending invasion.

The few stacks you have are a very valuable because you can't afford many stacks, can't quickly/easily reinforce your losses outside of the friendly territory in the North, and can't safely build a new stack with any enemy armies running around. One result of this is that you should never use marauders - they're cheaper but an army of them will get rolled over by a lot of the stacks the AI pushes out and even if it doesn't you'll end up taking a lot more long breaks to make up for your losses, so you won't be dunking villages and cities quickly. You're better off just dropping a core of chaos warriors/chosen from your existing doomstack into the new stack and eating the cost for a while - at least then your stack will survive long enough to grow up.

Of course this is all assuming you didn't build a broken effectively-invulnerable-amy-soloing Sigvald or something.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 5, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone have a reason chaos doesn't have ambush stance available? It seems weird.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I started up a fresh Dwarf campaign and had Grimgor w/ a full stack and an additional full Waagh stack show up at turn 10 or so, along with a half stack from another orc race. I really can't figure out how to get a decent start with them

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

stacking agents with build cost reduction was a godsend in attila too, managed to turn WRE from making <10k/turn to 80k+ while replacing doomstacks every turn against the huns :hist101:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I swear the god the constant golden chevron, six stack elite Varg armies that cross the sea are a much bigger threat than anything the warriors of chaos have thrown at me so far.

full stacks of axe throwers + giants are bad enough, they need to be golden chevron too???

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mans posted:

I swear the god the constant golden chevron, six stack elite Varg armies that cross the sea are a much bigger threat than anything the warriors of chaos have thrown at me so far.

full stacks of axe throwers + giants are bad enough, they need to be golden chevron too???

For real, in the game I just finished Skraelings were a danger I could handle, Chaos were trouble I could overcome, but Vargs were a loving tide of hell that swept across my lands and destroyed all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's p telling that chaos has mandatory builds for every general. If every general must get horde growth as the first priority it suggests the base rate is just too low. Interesting choices being the soul of game design etc.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyone have a reason chaos doesn't have ambush stance available? It seems weird.
Seeing as how they probably have the guitarist from Mad Max Fury Road embedded in every army it's hard to be subtle.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's p telling that chaos has mandatory builds for every general. If every general must get horde growth as the first priority it suggests the base rate is just too low. Interesting choices being the soul of game design etc.
Their growth sucks in the early game but in the late game I had Sigvald spawning new lords just to have something to do with his 20+. The leadership line isn't very good so it's not like those four points are wasted either.

Mans posted:

Varg have giants? In 276 turns I never saw a norscan army field anything bigger than trolls. If they're bothering you that much just raze the poo poo out of the north.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 5, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think it's a holdover from hordes not being able to ambush. With this map and AI it's a serious handicap, the map isn't like Rome with choke points all over southern Europe.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The one that reduces fatigue loss is also pretty mandatory for lords capable of getting it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oh hey you can avoid slogging a Thane all the way up to the north map for Thorgrim's armor quest if you start the quest before the norse dwarves get wiped out. When they do you get automatically advanced to the next stage of the quest.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Their growth sucks in the early game but in the late game I had Sigvald spawning new lords just to have something to do with his 20+. The leadership line isn't very good so it's not like those four points are wasted either.

This isn't an argument for the current system. lovely in early game then irrelevant late game is not a fun or dynamic mechanic.

Also, I think the complaint was that the Finns overshadow chaos as a threat. I've had the chaos warriors faction wiped out in more than one game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha it's turn 16 and I'm recruiting my first wizard. I'm looking at this Varg army just out of Kolek's range like "someday I'm gonna have a level 6 sorcerer buddy so just you wait!" :argh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

madmac posted:

Basically, if you want 2 LL it's almost always faster to start with the secondary Lord.

Vampires

To Unlock Mannfred, you have to claim Western Sylvania, ie The first loving thing you do every time you play VC

To unlock Kemmler you have to build a T4 building that unlocks Necromancers, your worst hero type.
To get Mannfred you have to claim both Sylvanias which you only assume is easy if you do it using the best hero in the game. Having just tried a Kemmler start he loving sucks and you will be stuck taking eastern Sylvania first while Templehof builds up to loving Graveguard and makes a siege unwinnable. Mannfred on the other hand lets you three-shot enemy heroes and can do everything Kemmler does minus that one aura skill he has that's a duplicate of the leftmost lore of vampires.

Free Varghulf isn't bad either.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Woah Sigvald is like 9 feet tall. What the fricking heck?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arglebargle III posted:

He needs the extra leg length.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

The perfect height for the perfect man :colbert:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Kivlev with a unique roster would be fun to play as, fantasy russia with giant borders and the first on the chopping block when it comes to the chaos invasion.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

madmac posted:

Whenever you put an agent in an army after learning their embed skill they will use it automatically for as long as they are in the stack.

Training specifically gives all your units in the stack a set amount of XP every turn so over time they'll all slowly become veteran badasses.

Do level 1 heroes do anything inside an army? I THINK Empire Captains train automatically, even before they get the one in the skill tree? Does embedding heroes in an army automatically do things like reduce corruption in the region they are in? To get the 10% building cost reduction, do you need to be in the region or anywhere in the 2-4 regions of a single province? Do you need to deploy an agent to get them to reduce corruption? Do Priests reduce corruption automatically?

What do the 4 Empire heroes automatically do inside a stack, when by themselves in a region (as in just passing through), by themselves in a province or when deployed in a region and/or a province?

Can you deploy Lords to be a region governor, and if so how? Beyond sitting them and their army inside the region's city or town.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Comstar posted:

Do level 1 heroes do anything inside an army? I THINK Empire Captains train automatically, even before they get the one in the skill tree? Does embedding heroes in an army automatically do things like reduce corruption in the region they are in? To get the 10% building cost reduction, do you need to be in the region or anywhere in the 2-4 regions of a single province? Do you need to deploy an agent to get them to reduce corruption? Do Priests reduce corruption automatically?

What do the 4 Empire heroes automatically do inside a stack, when by themselves in a region (as in just passing through), by themselves in a province or when deployed in a region and/or a province?

Can you deploy Lords to be a region governor, and if so how? Beyond sitting them and their army inside the region's city or town.

1. Check out the hero info box when you hover over its card to the left on the strategic layer; it shows you all the actions it can do, both passive and active. In this case, I think the Captain starts with with the training action as locked, so you need to get some levels in before he can pump up experience.

2. Yes for passive actions, but if it says "deploy" they need to be deployed on the strat map.

3. Yes for any region in the province, even if the -building cost isn't tied to deployment.

4 & 5 & 6. See above.

7. No regional governors in this game.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Goddamit I want to play all the factions but I can only play one at a time.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Playing as the dwarfs again and, having learned about checkerbox formation during my empire playthroughs i must say they are amazing however for the love of god i wish there was a mod so you could just put your melee and range in a checkerbox formation instantly, this niggling about putting your units in individually for each and every battle is driving me crazy!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Cheshire Cat posted:

No; this has been an unfortunate aspect of the TW series as a whole. Withdrawals are always considered a defeat, with the associated post-battle losses, so you can't really make hit and run strikes against an army.

Are you sure about the post-battle losses? I haven't tried it in Total Warhammer but I'm fairly sure I remember withdrawing in other titles and not losing anything. I definitely remember the AI withdrawing without engaging when I've outmaneuvered it (by which I mean climbed to a higher point on the hill it was camping) and still being at full strength.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 5, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I stop conquering for a while and just raze stuff instead my Great Power penalty will start declining right? Or did I mishear?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

If I stop conquering for a while and just raze stuff instead my Great Power penalty will start declining right? Or did I mishear?

As far as a quick google showed it was a static malus in Attila that only grew as you did, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Well this was tedious as hell but I pulled it off. Finished the Very Hard Dwarf campaign with zero losses (battles or units) in exactly 200 turns.

Got to around turn 120 without much save scumming but Chaos really hosed that over with its magical 4 stack spawns so I had to game it a little in the second half. Was able to figure out a way to win every battle though or at least make moves that would keep my armies intact, without a lot of AI faction help even since VC and Chaos were 1 and 2 on the strength chart and owned most of the map north of the Badlands when I finally rolled that way, and both loving despised me. Only real ally I had was the Border Princes and later on the Empire after I dumped like 100k into them.

There's no achievement for not losing a battle like Rome 2, but I was curious if I could do it regardless since I never finshed that one in Rome 2 and its terrible loving victory conditions.

EDIT: That apparently is the wrong screenshot and the short victory but I don't care enough to change it

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jun 5, 2016

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Oh good lord I tried a hard VC campaign and I started with Kemmler since its super easy to unlock Mannfred fast. I raised two stacks of high quality troops and set out to conquer Stirland and it seems that the Empire somehow confederated everyone. Since i was at war with Stirland I inherited war with the empire and they have sent my way about 4 full stacks with a level 14 karl franz by turn 60ish what the gently caress. I truly stirred the hornets nest and Im probably hosed since im getting attacked from both north and the west and cant maintain my two stacks as my economy is going to poo poo due to raiding and cities getting sniped before I can challenge them. I hate this blattant ai cheating where generals just get levels out the rear end in the fog of war

Gitro
May 29, 2013
You get 1 level per win early on, every 1-2 later on. I don't see how level 14 by turn 60 is cheating. I have a chaos lord pushing 19 by turn 50 and he didn't really fight for the first 5-10 turns.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i got karl franz to level 16 or so around 30ish turns into a multiplayer campaign. sometimes a dude just gets stuck in a lot of action, especially when you do a lot of chasing down of small stacks, which really rack up the xp

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does Thorgrim's Throne of Power 'mount' offer any benefits to compensate for being unable to climb ladders?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Does Thorgrim's Throne of Power 'mount' offer any benefits to compensate for being unable to climb ladders?

A. Its cool as hell

B. Do you really need another reason?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

What, is he supposed to walk everywhere?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I started a new Chaos campaign and around turn 10 my second lord gets clusterfucked into a town defense at the first subjugated town. Those russianpolish whateverthefucks from Kislev got something like 75-25 odd on us. In the end I got three ragged rear end groups of chaos warhounds left. They got a collective 756 kills :stonklol:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I think he gets a somewhat better charge in exchange. He can bowl over quite a bunch of dudes in a row, like a tiny chariot.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Fewd posted:

I started a new Chaos campaign and around turn 10 my second lord gets clusterfucked into a town defense at the first subjugated town. Those russianpolish whateverthefucks from Kislev got something like 75-25 odd on us. In the end I got three ragged rear end groups of chaos warhounds left. They got a collective 756 kills :stonklol:

Someone in the thread recommended the demon dogs and I have been super impressed with them. They haven't failed to put in serious work in any battle, between tearing up archers, occupying and running down skirmish cav, ripping up other doggos or just hitting dudes in the back.

They are Good Dogs

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Turn 110 and Empire long campaign finished (after 15 or so previous attempts). By the end Chaos had been driven back in the first few waves...then the REAL Chaos army appeared. Despite outnumbering it 4-1 that didn't help much vs Giants and no heavy artillery available (I never needed anything heavier than Mortars for the Vampires). 4 armies nearly wiped out. The even larger 2nd Imperial army corps suffered an even bigger loss 10 turns later. Only a disjointed Kislev, Bostonian, Dwarf and Estalian(!) armies kept Archon Everboring from storming the Empire out of a ruined Kislev before Karl came back a 3rd time and finished the job.

I hope one day after dealing with Chaos the Empire can turn it's guns on the real threat - the High Elves and their rules that the oceans are their property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Gitro posted:

Someone in the thread recommended the demon dogs and I have been super impressed with them. They haven't failed to put in serious work in any battle, between tearing up archers, occupying and running down skirmish cav, ripping up other doggos or just hitting dudes in the back.

They are Good Dogs

fast cav like warhound and direwolves are great once you realise that by running down all the fleeing units after you've already won a battle, you don't have to fight them again on the campaign map

• Locked thread