Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I was sitting in the left turn lane the other day with a solid wall of oncoming traffic, and the guy behind me honked at me. I'm not sure if he just wanted me to plow straight through a semi-truck Terminator style or what. People are really angry driving for some reason.

I had a guy start furiously honking at me in a left turn lane because I had enough window to make a left turn, but not to flip a U-turn which was my intent, and then he furiously followed me back to work after I made my U-turn, got out of his car, and started yelling at me in the parking lot. I told him he was doing that poo poo in front of corporate, FDA and DEA cameras and wasn't authorized to be on the premises and then he told me to "learn how to loving drive" and left. I felt sorry for him more than anything, I have sympathy for the retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

ArbitraryC posted:

Some intersections either have a green light left where you have to yield or start with an arrow but eventually end up being just a regular green with yield and in those situations if traffic is heavy enough to not have any regular openings it's generally standard practice to enter the intersection on green and then make the turn when it hits red because there's enough of a window for 1 or 2 cars to get through the empty intersection before crosstraffic starts flowing.

Honestly this shouldn't be a thing and it's mostly just poor planning on whoever designed those lights if it's a regular problem at those intersections but this is the solution people rely on in those situations and the locals will get upset if a clueless person doesn't realize they'll never have a good chance for a left without doing it.

wow thanks professor traffic

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

MrQwerty posted:

I had a guy start furiously honking at me in a left turn lane because I had enough window to make a left turn, but not to flip a U-turn which was my intent, and then he furiously followed me back to work after I made my U-turn, got out of his car, and started yelling at me in the parking lot. I told him he was doing that poo poo in front of corporate, FDA and DEA cameras and wasn't authorized to be on the premises and then he told me to "learn how to loving drive" and left. I felt sorry for him more than anything, I have sympathy for the retarded.

Did you ever learn how to drive though? :confused:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Kaedric posted:

No... only idiot morons do this. This only makes sense if you can guarantee that the people in the oncoming traffic lane won't ever ever ever run a red light, else your stupid rear end is stuck in the intersection for ages while cross traffic plows into you out of spite.

You are supposed to wait until it's clear that those people are stopping and not running the red light before you turn left in front of them... Jesus christ.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
jfc who knew goons were terrible loving drivers

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I cannot believe you probated that person for such an innocent, innocuous comment. It was harmless, and look how you responded . . . not good, bad karma. You should mete out punishment quite carefully, my child.

Love,
Vitalis

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You suck at driving that's why. You're supposed to pull into the intersection and make the left turn when the light turns red. gently caress you for not getting that.

Edit - Seriously gently caress you.

Be cool.

Love,
Vitalis

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrQwerty posted:

"Sympathy for the Retarded" was quite a hit for the Stones in the 60's as I recall.

Love,
Vitalis

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Sheep-Goats posted:

There is no such thing as a "super dangerous" stretch of paved road in the United States.

I don't live in the United States and I think frequent accidents with occasional fatalities counts as p dangerous tbh

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

MrQwerty posted:

u sound like a bitch

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
corporate, FDA and DEA cameras wtf

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
About 6 months ago I was waiting to turn left at an intersection that doesn't get an arrow light, just solid green.

The car on the inside lane stopped, so I proceeded to turn, but the dude in the outside lane ran the red light and smashed me.

I was ticketed and he wasn't. Tow truck driver told me he has seen multiple deaths at that intersection. That's my story!!!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

JiveHonky posted:

Amateur bisexual teens honking horns dot com

im clicking and clicking

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I never go through intersections even when the light is green because what if a car coming the other way run the red light and hits me. no thanks, better safe than sorry

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

About 6 months ago I was waiting to turn left at an intersection that doesn't get an arrow light, just solid green.

The car on the inside lane stopped, so I proceeded to turn, but the dude in the outside lane ran the red light and smashed me.

I was ticketed and he wasn't. Tow truck driver told me he has seen multiple deaths at that intersection. That's my story!!!

Drive better

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

sometimes during a red light i just lay on the fkin horn lol

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

then other ppl start honking too. all of us just honking for no reason. it's extremely cathartic.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

TheBizzness posted:

lol if u had solid green so did he

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
that's how traffic lights goddam work

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Usually if you have enough time+space to do a left turn across traffic you can do a full u turn too, in my experience anyway

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

jackyl posted:

lol if u had solid green so did he

I didn't have solid green, the point is I will never have an arrow, the only option is to go on red and hope they don't.

That said I should probably drive better.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

TheBizzness posted:

I doubt your story because if he did run a red he'd get a ticket for that regardless of who was at fault for the accident. In all likelihood one guy stopped before he had to and baited you into turning when oncoming traffic still legally had the right to be there but you've simply told this version of the story so much to everyone else that you've started to believe it yourself.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

ArbitraryC posted:

I doubt your story because if he did run a red he'd get a ticket for that regardless of who was at fault for the accident. In all likelihood one guy stopped before he had to and baited you into turning when oncoming traffic still legally had the right to be there but you've simply told this version of the story so much to everyone else that you've started to believe it yourself.

The police weren't waiting at the intersection which made it my word against his, and as its been stated he had the right of way regardless.

Someone earlier in this thread was saying once the light turns red you're cool to turn left and my story was my way of saying "nah, it's still your fault if you get in an accident".

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

The police weren't waiting at the intersection which made it my word against his, and as its been stated he had the right of way regardless.

Someone earlier in this thread was saying once the light turns red you're cool to turn left and my story was my way of saying "nah, it's still your fault if you get in an accident".

If you can prove the light is red then it isn't your fault but absent a dash cam or whatever you have to assume he came in on a yellow. Anyway you need to see both lanes stopping not just one before going left but if you're not in the intersection trying to go left you're a scummy fairy pussbag.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
some of y'all are being way too literal about this:
1. Pull into intersection in busy non-hick town
2. Wait until light turns red because no break in traffic
3. Make sure cars going in opposite direction are STOPPED and not trying to run the newly red light
4. Turn

This happens 4 million times a day in los Angeles and its fine

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

3. Make sure cars going in opposite direction are STOPPED and not trying to run the newly red light
4. Turn

I drive for a living and can confirm this is also true in Minneapolis.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vince MechMahon posted:

I drive for a living and can confirm this is also true in Minneapolis.

In places like Oregon with an extreme amount of zoned out hippies and shithead law loving hicks (who will imagine regulations where there are none) you get person after person stopped behind the line in the left turn lane refusing to go into the intersection and getting into an I'm Being Bullied hysteria when someone tells them to stop being a piece of poo poo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also fine: The New York left, where you, being first in line in the left turn lane, bang out out a left just when the light changes before the oncoming traffic gets up to speed to fill the intersection.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
i let a guy in to the gas station parking lot because the traffic was backed up so far from the light anyway. then i felt like a dumbass because i didnt immediately move forward again and the guy behind me wanted to turn left and didnt get to the light at time. sorry about your possible camera-induced ticket, crossover minivan-guy. anyway thats my traffic story

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Drunk Nerds posted:

4. Turn

Wichita might qualify as a hick town to coastloards but in any situation where there's no green arrow (which was a lot of terrible dangerous intersections for a long time) this was sort of just the default because otherwise you would literally be unable to turn for 20-30 minutes if you happened to be in the wrong place when one of the airplane factories ended shift

TheBizzness posted:

This exact description of events played out a billion times and is why these intersections are so awful, most SUVs and trucks are too big to see around (and there are a LOT of them in the midwest). Most of the time there's no dumb kid in a sports car trying to run the lane that you can't see because of giant poo poo in the inner lane but sometimes there is and someone gets broadsided and their passenger dies

FWIW i think the car running the red is always at fault but intersections where this happens for 10+ years with no fix are also the city's fault

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 5, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

TheBizzness posted:

I mean and technically if literally no one is around to see it someone can reverse at a red or stopsign into your car and then say you rearended them so if you're gonna be scared of people breaking rules then retroactively lying about it you might as well not drive. If the dude entered on a red he was at fault if not you were, if it came down to a he-said she said and you're being honest rather than soothing your own ego then it sucks to be you but had there been cameras and/or witnesses he woulda been in the wrong either entirely or at least also.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foQc2Xbcfu8

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I dont even drive, why am I still reading this thread?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TheBizzness posted:

I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't look out for other cars when you make the left though... You're supposed to still make sure they are loving stopping. Jesus christ.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
lots of goons itt treating driving like an adversarial trial. because there aren't enough people dying in car accidents every year as is!!

go live in south asia if you want to drive around people who think like you

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

TheBizzness posted:

That cops name? Albert Einstein

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also fine: The New York left, where you, being first in line in the left turn lane, bang out out a left just when the light changes before the oncoming traffic gets up to speed to fill the intersection.

i do this often as most people these days are on their cell phones during the red.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
also if you come to SoCal and dont do at least 85 in the fast lane i legitimately hope you crash your car and burn alive

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao, just lmao, if you dont treat commuting like youre going to war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Chinatown posted:

i do this often as most people these days are on their cell phones during the red.

I still think this is a dick move and should stay quarantined on the East Coast.

• Locked thread