Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I wanna hate letho and I actually did kill him the one and only time I played Witcher 2 to the end. I spent the entire game taking the blame for a regicide, I was going to have satisfaction!! But his stuff in W3 is too cool to have him be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'll do the HoS stuff before I cash out the main game, may as well. That way there'll be no distractions when I go to the new region.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
I just got The Witcher 3 and was thinking about getting the season pass. Does the added content happen right away in game? Or is it post game content? Just curious if it is better to get the season pass right away or to just wait until I beat the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

hemophilia posted:

I wanna hate letho and I actually did kill him the one and only time I played Witcher 2 to the end.

Letho did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Zetta_Slow posted:

I just got The Witcher 3 and was thinking about getting the season pass. Does the added content happen right away in game? Or is it post game content? Just curious if it is better to get the season pass right away or to just wait until I beat the game.

Both of the expansions are end or post-game. You have seriously 80-100 quality hours of base game before you'll be high enough level to do the expansions.

No reason to buy the DLCs at the start, no.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did I miss some quests or was the "old friends will visit you in your vineyard" just hype? Only visitors I've got is spoon lady and Yennefer showed up after the main quest.

Also, it seems like people in Toussaint are much better at locking their doors than people in the base game. Enterable buildings are much rarer this time around.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The people in Toussaint aren't as poor as the rest of the land because they locked their door to keep Geralt from taking their broken rakes and alcohol.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The entire stealing mechanic in Witcher 3 is just "Don't steal in front of guards" right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RatHat posted:

The entire stealing mechanic in Witcher 3 is just "Don't steal in front of guards" right?

Yep, so you can totally break into a noble's apartment in Beauclair and steal all their nice cutlery and dinner sets right in front of them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like to imagine that residents really want to say something as you brazenly loot each house but they're just loving terrified of you as a witcher.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know I went through the whole game thinking that giant spiders weren't actually gonna show up and then...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
and they can be a bastard too.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah 100% gently caress the giant spiders. It puts me ill at ease bc i am arachnophobic and then the bastards have to audacity to actually be fairly tough to kill.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I remember Axii being super useful against them

They are definitely fuckers, though. Them and the boss fights in HoS were notably harder than the base end-game stuff.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 5, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Alternate Yrden makes them a lot easier too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am having the dickens of a time trying to install mods to The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition. Some of the paths indicated in the mod install instructions don't seem to exist on my Steam folder? And replacing files doesn't seem to actually have any effect. Has anyone else faced similar issues?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've encountered a certain regal figure in a certain sewer and would appreciate advice for my damage is quite lacking and his is...not. I'm level 33.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I've encountered a certain regal figure in a certain sewer and would appreciate advice for my damage is quite lacking and his is...not. I'm level 33.

Yrden, keep rolling, golden oriole.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

RatHat posted:

What counts as a 'guard' is unbelievably sketchy. Stuff like random nilfgardian soldiers actually don't care at all when you steal from them, whereas at other times they'll flip their lid if it's like in a military base (that you might've just rescued!).

Most surefire way to do it is to first try opening a container nearby a suspect NPC. If they react by facing at you and saying something warning before you grab the item, it counts as stealing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm not sure what happened, but today while playing my rate of stamina regeneration went way down. I think it happened around the time I got to level 10, do you get some newbie bonus to regen until then or something?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So I've started up Hearts of Stone. So far: I've hosed up international relations with the Ottomans, killed a horrible monster, have been branded by somebody who I am...guessing is Satan...and there's a pack of savage hedonists whom apparently the devil is too piss scared of to deal with personally.. Well, they sure know how to get the ball rolling.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure what happened, but today while playing my rate of stamina regeneration went way down. I think it happened around the time I got to level 10, do you get some newbie bonus to regen until then or something?

Did you go from light to medium or heavy armor? The heavier armor classes have a penalty to stamina regen.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also I'm gonna cop to using the console to cheat in like ten respec potions over the course of today because I have no idea what I want to do with my points

Ideally I'd be a magic sign wizard witcher but inevitably today when I respecced to that my next fight was against wraiths or something where nothing but Yrden and swords worked anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

Did you go from light to medium or heavy armor? The heavier armor classes have a penalty to stamina regen.

Nah, I've been using medium or light armor in a mix the whole time

Maybe I replaced a weapon or piece of armor that was giving me stamina regen or something and never noticed, I'm honestly kind of bad at equipment stuff in RPGs nowadays and wish I could just let the computer do it :v:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Trying not to read any of this because I just decided to start it but I have one question: Does the mutagen metamorphosis add any decoction in the game or only those in your inventory? Because if it's the latter I want to drop all but 3 of them for Godliness. mode.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
drat, I really thought this DLC would be kind of disappointing since it's just taking place in the same areas as the main game but, uh, I'm totally hooked. It's hard to tear myself away to actually get some much needed sleep.

Also yo, Triss is alright but I'm gonna say I actually like Shani's hair color even better, can I swap them out please

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

hemophilia posted:

I like to imagine that residents really want to say something as you brazenly loot each house but they're just loving terrified of you as a witcher.

It's well known that by contracting Geralt you are giving him full permission to paw through the belongings of not only yourself, but of everyone in a 400m radius

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Bluhman posted:

What counts as a 'guard' is unbelievably sketchy. Stuff like random nilfgardian soldiers actually don't care at all when you steal from them, whereas at other times they'll flip their lid if it's like in a military base (that you might've just rescued!).

Most surefire way to do it is to first try opening a container nearby a suspect NPC. If they react by facing at you and saying something warning before you grab the item, it counts as stealing.

Depending on what is around you if you can break line of sight with the guard, they won't be alerted. It's led to me repositioning the camera so the pile of boxes is between us, stealing from around a corner, etc.

If you're desperate to steal a thing (like valuable armor when you need cash) it can be worth getting caught and running for it, keep roach nearby and you won't have to run very long. You can then return to the scene of the crime and if the guards are even still there, they won't recognize you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

These overt Lord of the Rings references are horribly embarrassing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

drat, I really thought this DLC would be kind of disappointing since it's just taking place in the same areas as the main game but, uh, I'm totally hooked. It's hard to tear myself away to actually get some much needed sleep.

Also yo, Triss is alright but I'm gonna say I actually like Shani's hair color even better, can I swap them out please

When you get to the wedding, the very first thing you need to do is play Gwent with the halflings. LOSE the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bluhman posted:

Yeah I remember that despite what threats the guards throw at you they'll only actually do something if you take an item. So you can check containers all you want. And if you're really not sure if a guard is in eyesight you can savescum(or just run away when they become hostile and come back later).

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So in Blood and Wine, I'm pretty sure I just got to the "hey you're gonna pick an ending now" moment of the story.

Dettlaff Schrempf just rained vampires on Beauclair, and I gotta either find the duchess' sister who has been imprisoned and probably feed her to the higher vampire, or summon a vampire that even HIGHER VAMPIRES are loving terrified of. This sounds like a great decision. Leaning towards the former.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Y'know I went through the whole game thinking that giant spiders weren't actually gonna show up and then...

Oh god. I am not arachnophobic and generally don't have problems with spiders, but they are still my most hated enemy. They just loving dodge everything, have annoying ranged disable and are generally pain in the rear end, even if they have absolutely no chance to actually kill me.

CVagts posted:

So in Blood and Wine, I'm pretty sure I just got to the "hey you're gonna pick an ending now" moment of the story.

[quote="Ciaphas" post="460674269"]
Also I'm gonna cop to using the console to cheat in like ten respec potions over the course of today because I have no idea what I want to do with my points

Ideally I'd be a magic sign wizard witcher but inevitably today when I respecced to that my next fight was against wraiths or something where nothing but Yrden and swords worked anyway

I played through the main game with the old, unnerfed signs and they were hilariously overpowered... yrden with 70+% slowdown, igni firestream killing bosses in couple of casts.

I played through BaW with nerfed signs, but they still easily carried me through the game, but I admit that I had couple of points in the sword damage and obviously the one talent in alchemy tree that gives bonus toxicity. (If you don't have it yet, but it. There is no build that won't use it heavily).

Xarn fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 5, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hemophilia posted:

yeah 100% gently caress the giant spiders. It puts me ill at ease bc i am arachnophobic and then the bastards have to audacity to actually be fairly tough to kill.

I think all the giant spider slaughter in video games has actually helped me desensitize me to them somewhat.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

CVagts posted:

Dettlaff Schrempf just rained vampires on Beauclair, and I gotta either find the duchess' sister who has been imprisoned and probably feed her to the higher vampire, or summon a vampire that even HIGHER VAMPIRES are loving terrified of. This sounds like a great decision. Leaning towards the former.

The former is definitely the more entertaining path, but if you don't want to miss out on things, keep in mind that you can both track down Damien to get Syanna's location AND do a quest for lady Orianna to get the unseen elder's location before you have to make the actual choice. That latter is worth going through even if you don't intend to continue down that path.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can you turn off the alternate Gwent card art DLC? I prefer the original.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

hemophilia posted:

I wanna hate letho and I actually did kill him the one and only time I played Witcher 2 to the end. I spent the entire game taking the blame for a regicide, I was going to have satisfaction!! But his stuff in W3 is too cool to have him be dead.

Letho's sidequest in Velen is cool but his stuff at Kaer Morhen is dumb because the conflict tease with Roche and Ves is so unsatisfying. People should die if Geralt is dumb enough to try and put those three on a team together.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

RatHat posted:

Can you turn off the alternate Gwent card art DLC? I prefer the original.

Somewhere in the options, possibly only in title screen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bummer. I agree with one character's strategy more, but can't abide allowing friends to be sacrificed needlessly to make it happen.
Just so you know - there are certain circumstances where this choice influences the ending you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I got a bug where the upgrades for Geralt's home won't progress. It says to wait two days for the upgrades and it never advances. And the other stuff I got isn't showing up, like the guest room renovation.

I think it happened when I left to go get the Witcher armor in the normal game. I don't have a save from before then.

I hope this gets fixed.