Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
What are the go to sites for Unreal Tournament (all three games) downloads? I've been googling around and found some, but I've also found a lot of dead links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe ModDB but apart from that idk.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

a retard posted:

Maybe ModDB but apart from that idk.

ModDB is my go to whenever I start looking for game mods, for sure. Here are some other sites I've found:

http://www.mapraider.com/
http://www.utzone.de/index.php
http://www.unrealcentral.com/
http://gamebanana.com/games/31
http://www.unrealplayground.com/

So, an alright amount of sites, but I still feel discouraged. I guess Doom's ultra-active community has spoiled me (that and the ID Archive). Once I have a more reliable source of income I'm considering setting up a server to archive files for games with dead or very inactive communities so that new users have an easier time getting into them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
UT Files is trying to be an archive of the older Unreal games, and does a pretty decent job of it. They at least have all the stuff that Beyond Unreal lost after they had to shutdown fileworks and File Planet/FIle Front deleted their archives.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thyrork posted:

If Absolution TC was the one with Cat and Mouse and other "Delightful" extras, yes. That one. :arghfist:

Hectic, Cat and Mouse, Hardcore, and Playground are in the N64 original and iirc the latter three are only accessible via cheats. The three(?) stages added to the Absolution TC were just mediocre normal stages.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 5, 2016

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Check out Thievery for UT. Pretty good translation of Thief into the engine with coop and versus multiplayer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you have Unreal Gold and/or Unreal Tournament on Steam, but not on GOG, you can remedy that now. Also true for a few other games less relevant to this thread.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Thyrork posted:

Exactly. There's a lot of love for Doom 64. Sadly I never got it, couldn't stomach Absoultion and just watched CyRaptor play it.

It's my personal Doom 3 as well, it feels like a natural progression from the first two.
In an idea world the N64 version would be called Doom 3, with Doom 2004 not being Doom at all but rather under a different IP altogether.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

scroton_ posted:

I actually just got home about a half hour ago, and a guy that was supposed to get back to me didn't so the tuesday number is bunk and I can probably have another version that will be much better here in a couple of hours, assuming nothing goes wrong during making it.

EDIT: Alright, it's up:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1624379

This version has been tested in netplay, unlike v0.03.
Just tried this in TNT and it was working fine, cheers. Only real issue we ran into was once we started getting to around map08 or so one of my friends who has incredibly lovely rural Iowan internet started lagging, and also it hogged a lot of network* which is an issue for him because he has a 12GB network cap (not that I expect you to do anything about that mind you since I assume there's only so much you can optimize the network usage).

*May have also been him changing the tick-rate and turning off unlagged in the network options because he was lagging starting on map02 until changing those settings

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I'm making my first Doom map ever for Dump 3 :ohdear:

I'm constantly in a place between "oh this might be pretty fun" and "nobody will touch this you moron"

Basically I'm just trying to keep it small so even if it's a horrible abomination at least it'll be over quick :v:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOcGvXUU4e0

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Remember, there are upsides and downsides of short maps and long maps.

Short maps allow you to have a tight encounter time, little downtime inbetween and map design where few weapons and enemies are needed to make an exciting map. It also gives you the spare time to lovingly handcraft the sets and props.

Long maps let you have grand set design, extended firefights, interesting downtime between setpeices and the full spectrum of doom's tools. It also gives you the breathing room to do impressive level architecture on the bigger scale.

DUMP 2 is full of variation for this, and not just small vs large map design either.
You have large maps that are tense due to low enemies and limited resources, large maps that are thrilling but have moments to breathe and large maps that are constant pressure and demand you to run and think while shooting.
You have small maps that are very similar to E1M1 or Entryway, setting up the player for a feeling of more to come, small maps that are very tense with their limited resources and others that are a wild ride that escalates so rapidly with blink-and-you-missed-it fights.

Oh and smaller maps have the advantage of more time to learn the tricks you need to make nice ones or going back and polishing it up. That's a big plus for DUMP's format. :unsmith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Icept posted:

I'm making my first Doom map ever for Dump 3 :ohdear:

I'm constantly in a place between "oh this might be pretty fun" and "nobody will touch this you moron"

That's the good thing about it being put into the DUMP 3 compilation itself. They have no choice! :kheldragar:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I am so terrible at doommaker 2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUFTkf6jGjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVjy5L-kj_o

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just beat Doom 3 and it's a pretty good Dead Space game

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
... Huh. Half-Life Doom. Didn't expect to see that.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

surrender posted:

I just beat Doom 3 and it's a pretty good Dead Space game

I played it for the first time about a year ago and I can't remember a single part of that game, besides the super turbo turkey puncher 3. But no actual room or set piece or boss, its fine but so very unmemorable

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Well, there was that pit full of spiders, and, uh...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And that goddamn spiderhead thing that crawled out from behind the loving monitor while you were looking at security cam footage, argh loving hell!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked how Doom 3 had computer consoles that you could interact with. It was mostly pretty lightly-utilized, but there was one computer in Mars City Underground that you could click through some menus to find a button to open the cabinet with the machine gun in it. I thought that was pretty great.

I wanted to dink around with Doom 3's source but I couldn't get it (or anything newer from id than Quake 2) to compile properly. That made me a bit sad.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
All I remember about Doom 3 was the cute mouse interface on the computers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYGohrxaUg

Here's what my DUMP map looks like so far (ignore all the stuff in the room at the start, it's just there for testing obv). I've done virtually no decorating, no lighting at all et cetera but the level layout and item placement are pretty much final-ish. Maybe not. I'm considering removing the green armor near the beginning and some of the non-potion health pickups because as you can see they end up mostly being useless if you're doing well like I am in this playthrough. I tried a "not a good player" run through where I intentionally got hit, etc and I think I might have overcorrected a bit so I'll be tweaking that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 5, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuel Clemens posted:

Well, there was that pit full of spiders, and, uh...

That one time you walk up to a door and demon sticks its head out and licks you and whispers something in Latin.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

haveblue posted:

That one time you walk up to a door and demon sticks its head out and licks you and whispers something in Latin.

But enough about my last temp job.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
As a hockey lovin' Canuck, I must say that my absolute favorite thing about Doom 3 is that the Space Marine looks like Maurice "The Rocket" Richard.

Looks awesome, I can't wait to play it!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Welp, it turns out that the reputation Wolfenstein: The New Order has is completely deserved. I swear, there's more personality crammed into the first 30 seconds of Deathshead than many characters possess in entire FPS games, to say nothing of the way the game colors and humanizes BJ (particularly the vegetative-state time lapse cutscenes towards the beginning of the game). Really didn't expect this from a loving Wolfenstein game. It got me legitimately excited to kill Nazi scum again :getin:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Hard Reset: Actually Fun Edition is quite good, although I wish there was option to disable that useless katana. What's the point of this weapon, other than to look cool on screenshots, no idea. It's decently useful against the stroggesque cyborgs, but completely fails to give an advantage fighting every other enemy in the game. Those little jumping robots which also explode are the worst, though. Fighting small enemies, which move quickly and can jump on your face is seriously one of the worst FPS traits in the history of the genre.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Welp, it turns out that the reputation Wolfenstein: The New Order has is completely deserved. I swear, there's more personality crammed into the first 30 seconds of Deathshead than many characters possess in entire FPS games, to say nothing of the way the game colors and humanizes BJ (particularly the vegetative-state time lapse cutscenes towards the beginning of the game). Really didn't expect this from a loving Wolfenstein game. It got me legitimately excited to kill Nazi scum again :getin:

I hated the story stuff in this game, thankfully most of it is skippable. I can watch and enjoy nazisploitation flicks but when it's a huge AAA game, for some reason it's offensive to me.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, I bought it last week (along with the DLC) and it's pretty drat fantastic from start to finish. It has the most satisfying gunplay I've ever experienced in a FPS and all the weapons are good are feel great. It's also pretty drat impressive how they took the quintessential Mr. Shooty McHero Man and transformed him into an engaging, nuanced parody of the "Broken by War" character .

You should totally get the DLC. Aside from a boring stealth sequence in the first chapter, it's really loving fun and more Wolfensteinesque than the main game.

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 5, 2016

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
DLC? You mean The Old Blood? It's not DLC, but standalone game.
And yes it's very good and more RtCW-esque. Plus the amazing Wolf3D throwbacks!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has modern BJ obliderated a whole chicken to regain health yet? Because he should.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nokiaman posted:

And yes it's very good and more RtCW-esque. Plus the amazing Wolf3D throwbacks!

Yeah I actually ended up playing The Old Blood first (came free with DOOM) and buying The New Order after the fact. It was slightly disappointing to find out that, while TNO had a similar secret, it didn't have one every level like ToB.

Casimir Radon posted:

Has modern BJ obliderated a whole chicken to regain health yet? Because he should.

He can devour dogfood and kibble, as well.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Can someone help me out here? I'm trying to run Colorful Doom and LegenDoom at the same time, and it seems like LegenDoom just takes over and doesn't let Colorful Doom work.

Is there something I have to enable in LegenDoom or GZDoom to get it to work together? :shobon:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Continuing to beaver away on my DUMP3 map.

I also finished the weapon I made for it! It has one annoying visual bug but I should be able to fix that later once I can corner a better scripter for a bit. Maybe I'll make another one...

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.

DarkSol posted:

Can someone help me out here? I'm trying to run Colorful Doom and LegenDoom at the same time, and it seems like LegenDoom just takes over and doesn't let Colorful Doom work.

Is there something I have to enable in LegenDoom or GZDoom to get it to work together? :shobon:

I use ZDL to load mods, and noticed since Colourful Hell updated that I have to load it -after- LegenDoom for it to work at all. It messes with the menu stuff a bit so that you have to load either wad separate and fiddle with the settings you want that way before adding back together in the correct load order.

Edit: Also sadly it seems that Ketchup-Lippeth doesn't play nice with Colourful Hell no matter what I do, that's a drat shame, but I guess not unexpected. :sigh:

TyreForHyre fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 5, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What's wrong with Quake 2 modders?

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not sure about 3, but Quake 1 and 2 modders had a reputation for being really elitist with regards to modding and tools compared to the Doom community.

There's a reason the Doom community's been going strong for over 20 years while Quake 1/2 modding is pretty much dead aside from a really pretty mapset for 1 every month or so.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Everyone should do something good to themselves and go play Outlaws.

Thank the lords at GOG for fiddling with it to play on modern systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Nokiaman posted:

Yeah, my bad.

The Kins posted:

Continuing to beaver away on my DUMP3 map.

That Satan Corp logo is amazing. Did you make it yourself?