Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Untitled by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Caringbah by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Part of my series on chairs.

Joo Chiat by alkanphel, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

jesus christ settle down

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Wandering around Laguna Beach.

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 14, 2016

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
You're killing it lately

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Milan by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

^^^awesome

Wellington by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 4, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

365 Nog Hogger posted:

You're killing it lately

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
This thread makes me want to hang myself. Not only do I suck dicks at photography, but I have nothing to photograph around me or am not creative enough to find poo poo like you guys do. Seriously, you guys are all amazing. See me later for free hand jobs.

Woods by Eli Misel, on Flickr

Woods by Eli Misel, on Flickr

Stump by Eli Misel, on Flickr

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Ask yourself why you are taking the photo. What made you want to take a picture of that stump. Capture that instead

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Ask yourself why you are taking the photo. What made you want to take a picture of that stump. Capture that instead

I literally have nothing to take pictures of, so I'm just snapping pictures. The stump was an object to focus on, hahah.

Maybe I need to head in to town and walk around for a bit or something.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut posted:

I literally have nothing to take pictures of

It's only because you have an uninteresting view of the world

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Untitled by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

ansel autisms posted:

I'll try harder.

Edit: That hurt in the feels. I don't love you anymore.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 4, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Choicecut posted:

I literally have nothing to take pictures of, so I'm just snapping pictures. The stump was an object to focus on, hahah.

Maybe I need to head in to town and walk around for a bit or something.

Do drugs

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I said literally the same thing itt a year ago choicecut. Like literally the same thing

To be fair my old suburb was boring as hell but then I went around other parts of my city. You just have to develop an eye.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 11, 2016

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

You just have to develop an eye.

You should try doing that.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

These are all totes rad but the third one is another level of radness.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

elgarbo posted:

These are all totes rad but the third one is another level of radness.

Haha, thanks. That 180 lens is a pain to carry around, but when it works it's great.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Choicecut posted:

This thread makes me want to hang myself. Not only do I suck dicks at photography, but I have nothing to photograph around me or am not creative enough to find poo poo like you guys do. Seriously, you guys are all amazing. See me later for free hand jobs.

Woods

Woods can be really hard to photograph well. The lighting is often either really flat or super contrasty, there's green everywhere, and foliage makes for a really messy and busy composition.

ansel autisms posted:

That's a bit harsh I think. It's one thing to see something in a scene, it's another to translate it into a successful photograph.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

ape posted:

Haha, thanks. That 180 lens is a pain to carry around, but when it works it's great.

No but seriously are you just stockpiling this gold

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Wafflecopper posted:

That's a bit harsh I think. It's one thing to see something in a scene, it's another to translate it into a successful photograph.

That's exactly the point. If you have an uninteresting view of the world, your photos will be uninteresting too.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

ape posted:

I'm realizing that ape is the dopest under-the-radar photographer on here lately...

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Wafflecopper posted:

If you can't do step one then you can't really do step two either. It might be harsh but it's also something you can work on and improve.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

365 Nog Hogger posted:

People seem to like my photos :shrug:

Geektox posted:

If you can't do step one then you can't really do step two either. It might be harsh but it's also something you can work on and improve.

Step 2 is much harder than step 1. Especially when you come here and everyones been doing it for years. On the other hand, sa is hands down the best photography community out there, not that I've looked very hard. The fact people are so good means you skip several stages of being bad if you actually try to get better. Deaders is my hero for getting so many fantastic shots of places I've been too and gone meh too hard at in the past. I want to do all the roadtrips I've ever done again now pretty much because of his photos of Australia.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Parking by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

365 Nog Hogger posted:

The uninteresting view comment is spot on though. Helen, ape, Elgarbo, Sludge Tank, saucy, isheep and Mr bland stand out to me in this thread. Most of what they shoot are things I would walk right past and not consider. They aren't just another cityscape, mountain with a road in front of it, some tree in a field, or uninteresting building with a door. Look at apes poo poo the past few posts. I drive past so many cars every day just like the ones he posted, but never considered taking images of them. The image quality, tones, etc of the goons I mentioned are titties and just adds to the awesomeness.

That being said, anal is off limits for at least a month Helen. Cock gobbling is still a go though, cause I'll always be your little dick cumwell.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Your photos will improve but holy poo poo stop posting text for a while

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I cant speak for the others but the stuff I post itt is stuff my retarded mind thought was pretty and has since I was a kid.

Your sense will develop, I've only had my camera a year but I definitely feel like my perception of the world has changed a lot. I found it helps to look at lots of photos and think about why I dislike or like something, and why the photographer did what they did.

Let us know if you recover from whatever the end of that post is.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Choicecut posted:

That being said, anal is off limits for at least a month Helen. Cock gobbling is still a go though, cause I'll always be your little dick cumwell.

The gently caress is this now?

Thanks for the comments about my photos at least. As far as developing an eye is concerned, I don't know how to do that without just taking a poo poo load of photos and figuring out why certain ones are keepers and others are insta-delete. I try to take a camera with me anywhere where it's not going to be a huge pain in the rear end to haul it around. It helps that I have a bunch of 35mm film cameras I like to road test so taking a real camera with me doesn't always involve hauling a DSLR. And then, I take a lot of pictures. Even on familiar trips like the walk to work or the area around my apartment. There's always new things to see, people, buildings, light, cars. All of these things change and provide different photo opportunities.constantly. I make a new Flickr album for all of my walking around photos per month and at the end I go through it and figure out what I like and don't like in it, what worked, what was a waste of bandwidth. Putting it online means that other people see it and comment on it too so I get a bit of feedback from that. You don't have to live in a photogenic city, just get used to seeing interesting details in ordinary scenes. Half of my photos of Kyiv are of Soviet apartment blocks, not of major landmarks or tourist attractions.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

DSC03569 by Enver Hoxha, on Flickr

hell yeah summer nights :frogc00l:

And there's a couple of spots. Might clean it up later.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

unpacked robinhood posted:

Your photos will improve but holy poo poo stop posting text for a while

You failed at your own post. Way to go ace.

Helen Highwater posted:

The gently caress is this now?

:a2m:

Thanks for the input dudes. Carry camera, take more lovely photos. rinse. repeat.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 5, 2016

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Choicecut posted:

The uninteresting view comment is spot on though. Helen, ape, Elgarbo, Sludge Tank, saucy, isheep and Mr bland stand out to me in this thread. Most of what they shoot are things I would walk right past and not consider. They aren't just another cityscape, mountain with a road in front of it, some tree in a field, or uninteresting building with a door. Look at apes poo poo the past few posts. I drive past so many cars every day just like the ones he posted, but never considered taking images of them. The image quality, tones, etc of the goons I mentioned are titties and just adds to the awesomeness.

I don't usually like to get involved in internet discussions, but I feel strangely compelled to offer a scorching take today.

I haven't doing photography for much longer than three years, but one thing that I believe that I have learned is that the subject matter of a photograph should not be the primary driver behind what makes a picture work. People may disagree with me (and strongly, in fact), but I believe that in order for an image to resonate with someone, the picture must convey something that elevates it beyond a simple object in a way that is difficult, if not impossible, to describe fully in words. For example, Todd Hido takes pictures of houses at night, yet he is able to take something so incredibly mundane and use it to draw us into his own particular world. But he is not limited to houses; he also works with landscapes, hotel rooms, and scantily clad models to draw us back into his vision of what the world looks like. The subjects work in this regard only due to the fact that they are meticulously forced by the photographer into serving his vision, which is unique to him and can never be replicated exactly except by mere accident. He is not limited to one subject, nor do the subjects define what he can do as a photographer. Instead, it is the so-called "interesting" view, which is a mixture of an innate, fundamental "vision," coupled with years of practical experience and critique, that allows him to create what he does in the manner that he does. This is not to say that particular subjects don't lend themselves better to particular ideas; the subject, like anything else in a photograph, is merely a tool that is used to work towards a larger idea.

To discount a photograph solely based on subject matter is to ignore this underlying vision. In the context of what I've quoted, it also doesn't make much sense. You praise posters in this thread for being able to make the mundane interesting, yet criticize others for boring subjects. One would then be led to believe that it isn't the subject per say that you take issue with, but rather that some photographers here have managed, through the mood and vision they have, to create images that have a commonality with whatever vision you are developing, while others have not. This is important, as I believe it is a major step in moving beyond taking cookie-cutter pictures into creating something worth keeping. One of the only ways to really develop your vision, though, is to keep on photographing things and taking risks.

Studying other people's photography is also very important, and being able to clearly articulate what it is that draws you to an image will help you improve. To use a poster here, alkanphel's work, to me, is fantastic. What resonates with me is the overwhelming sense of urban isolation that I see in his landscapes, which is something I've tired to emulate. Occasionally, his pictures are punctuated by what I like to call "the gritty poo poo," which is a main driver in what I am trying to accomplish myself. Our photography, however, is very different in subject matter, composition, and intent - through a side-by-side comparison, you'd think we have nothing in common; to anybody except for me, we probably don't. That doesn't mean I can't get something useful out of the way he sees things.

At the end of the day though, I believe photography is a pretty personal activity. If you're looking to take pictures that other people will think are "good," you're probably not doing it for the right reasons. If other people don't like my photos, that's on them - the only thing you can do as a photographer is your best at conveying the ideas in your head. The input of others is really important in helping you to get where you want to go, but truly at the end of the day only a few people will honestly appreciate what you're trying to do. The goal, I think, should be to get that vision out there and have fun, and not let yourself down in the process.

edit:f,b

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

ape all just regurgitating rad photos at will now.