Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Digirat posted:

What made dark souls 2's structure suck compared to demon's souls which was almost the same

No I mean I agree with you but I didn't like dark souls 2, just being an autist thats all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
You know, I don't see anyone lauding them for bleed builds, but I find the hollow dual katanas to be actually very effective. They hit reasonably hard and have a solidly versatile, if weird, moveset. They bleed quite effectively too, like warden blades with some actual reach to them. They don't have the spin slash and I have yet to find a use for the leap because it's so drat slow, but provided you're not up against a parry fisher, I'd argue they're more effective.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

My favorite bleed weapon is definitely the carthus curved sword, if only because it's an awesome sword even when the buff runs out. Great damage, great moveset, good reach - and when buffed, bleeds in ~4 hits. Although I suppose Anri's is straight up better since it's a straightsword with the R1R1R1R1's and the pokes.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Toady posted:

What are the six bosses unlocked early? I can only think of Dragonslayer Armor, Consumed King, and Champion Gundyr. Which ones am I forgetting?

People are overlooking Bloodborne's non-linearity. The first boss can be skipped, and Old Yharnam and Hemwick are accessible early and completable in any order, the first of which allows you to skip the Cathedral Ward gate key. Some areas have an effect on the world depending on the order you complete them, which can make your playthrough unique compared to someone else's. For example, the kidnappers appearing after killing Blood-Starved Beast but before killing Rom, or clearing Hemwick at night with Insight-triggered monsters teleporting in (like I did in my first playthrough) versus clearing it in the daytime. That non-linearity is why opinions were so varied on bosses like Vicar Amelia. For some people, she was only the second boss of the game. The difference from DS3 is that non-linearity could happen naturally because the branching areas are accessible early on from the main path, while fighting the Dancer early requires the knowledge that you can kill an NPC for secret early access.

If I had to compare the two games, I'd say Bloodborne is less linear because so many areas are accessible early and have a flexible order of completion. This ignores your point about build variety where DS3 obviously has the advantage.

Tiny nitpick: Amelia can't be the second boss you fight. You need to beat Gascoigne, as well as either Blood-starved Beast or Cleric Beast before you can get to her.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

RottenK posted:

Sad to see what happened to Gwyndolin. I always let him live in DS, makes me feel a bit down that his canonical fate is to be eaten alive by some dumb fat cannibal.

RIP moon prince :(

i think aldritch intended to eat Gwyndolin, but instead they merged together and Aldritch/Gwyndolin resumed the task of keeping up the sun-illusions and ruling in Anor Londo. Aldritch is therefore unable to continue his quest to devour all the gods and link the fire himself.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Gwyndolin is just a hollowed out puppet. Aldrich is taking his time eating him.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Manatee Cannon posted:

releasing three games in as many years will do that. I know I haven't played this game nearly as much as bloodborne or dark souls 2 either and it's absolutely because of fatigue from playing a bunch of similar games recently

Not even that, technically 4 games because ds2 got rereleased as scholar of the first sin and a few people played both original and scholar. Then don't forget the dlc for bloodborne and ds2 which is almost like another game.

So in 3 years, people may have played as much as 5 games worth of souls action. Not including ng+ or replays.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Plus ds3 dlc.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Instant Grat posted:

Tiny nitpick: Amelia can't be the second boss you fight. You need to beat Gascoigne, as well as either Blood-starved Beast or Cleric Beast before you can get to her.

Wrong, you can buy the key for 20k right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Wrong, you can buy the key for 20k right?

It only appears to buy once you beat the Cleric Beast, though that's fairly likely to be most people's first boss.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Oh thats right, my bad!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Toady posted:

What are the six bosses unlocked early? I can only think of Dragonslayer Armor, Consumed King, and Champion Gundyr. Which ones am I forgetting?

I miscounted, it's five. But beating Consumed King early also lets you get to Archdragon Peak without beating Yhorm or Aldrich, so that's Ancient Wyvern and Nameless King as well.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

So what's your favorite soundtrack from the game? I feel it's not quite at Bloodborne's level, but there are still some great tracks, like Oceiros
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVHpOHQum5o
and obviously the main theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWae6r7Blw

Is there any chance of the DLC containing anything like Ludwig's theme? I realize Bloodborne probably had a huge budget and all, but, man, I just want more of that sweet music

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I hate this game for its linearity. Bloodborne did it way better. Its just not a very replayable game. Damnit. How hard is it to add some more connections and make the loving replay value shoot up in the sky god nibblitz.
I will always love dark souls and demons souls and bloodborne, the proper trilogy.

Dude the replay value in this game is incredible. I don't know what your talking about. Have you thought about all the different kinds of characters you can make in this game? It's ridiculous. You can make thousands of different kinds of characters and still have ones that no one has tried yet with a variety of different weapons, stats, upgrades, and spells.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
:stonk:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am not that far in yet (still at Smouldering Lake) but I loved the music from the Abyss Watchers fight

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Any tips for equipment and attributes for a high dex melee character? I've gotten to the battle with the Dragonslayer Armour, and I've just been picking whatever all game long. I'm using the Abyss Watchers armour, with a +10 Estoc, and Dragon Crest Shield, but I always forget to actually use the shield. My attributes are a mess, as I started as an assassin, but I've just put points in whatever I felt like each time.

EDIT: Also, I can't parry worth a poo poo.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 5, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Better be full of nothing but answers. Because DS 3 had none and didn't even ask new questions. Yeah yeah the cycle is lovely and hey, Gwyn's extended family are still around and relevant for some reason. Can't wait for another lovely lore video on vitally important plot Character Yorshka of the chair.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

MarshyMcFly posted:

Dude the replay value in this game is incredible. I don't know what your talking about. Have you thought about all the different kinds of characters you can make in this game? It's ridiculous. You can make thousands of different kinds of characters and still have ones that no one has tried yet with a variety of different weapons, stats, upgrades, and spells.

Yes but I did all of that in dark souls 1 and now I'm grumpy and hateful against everything new and shiny. Can't help it bro.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Jordbo posted:

So what's your favorite soundtrack from the game? I feel it's not quite at Bloodborne's level, but there are still some great tracks, like Oceiros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0LdIZ8TWYo

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
While I like the Oceiros theme, I feel it's missing things without Oceiros talking. I don't remember, have any other souls games had bosses talking in the middle of fighting? For some reason I really like that little touch and it makes them feel more interesting in some way I can't really put my finger on.

fake edit: I guess there was Paladin whats his name and Maiden whats her face in Demons, which also happened to be one of the best bosses in the series.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Yeah, I absolutely loved that about Oceiros fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSV2EGJLRgs&t=65s

I just like when the bosses talk in general - it adds a lot of atmosphere, like in the twin princes fight. Please DLC, more of that!

edit: also that video clearly shows that the squishy dying baby sounds are in the game, why are people calling it cut content

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

While I like the Oceiros theme, I feel it's missing things without Oceiros talking. I don't remember, have any other souls games had bosses talking in the middle of fighting? For some reason I really like that little touch and it makes them feel more interesting in some way I can't really put my finger on.

fake edit: I guess there was Paladin whats his name and Maiden whats her face in Demons, which also happened to be one of the best bosses in the series.

Eh, I thought the best fight in DS was the false king. Garl Vinland and Maiden Astraea were fine, but I wasn't really big on it. I think I just really didn't like the valley of defilement.

Also, while the fight itself is a bit less than stellar, Aldia talks during his fight if I recall correctly. I actually liked whenever Aldia would show up too. Just sort of blow the player back. (And Micolash talks during his fight, but that's not a souls game)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jordbo posted:

Yeah, I absolutely loved that about Oceiros fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSV2EGJLRgs&t=65s

I just like when the bosses talk in general - it adds a lot of atmosphere, like in the twin princes fight. Please DLC, more of that!

edit: also that video clearly shows that the squishy dying baby sounds are in the game, why are people calling it cut content

Theres a crying baby, but the specific audio file that is a bunch of escalating cries followed by a rather visceral squish is not used in the game. Oceiros, though, does explicitly slam his baby hand first into the ground when he does go all full retardDragon tho.

Which makes me wonder everytime you died and went back to Old Ossy was he intended to crush the baby (please no dont shake the baby) every single time?
because that makes it a bit goofy.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The Oceiros original fight would not have passed any ratings board ever. The model of the baby which also has textures of getting increasingly beat up was removed, cries were reduced. It's not really Oceiros's left hand we're targeting, it is the baby. Can you imagine if that had passed and shipped like that? Going by all that audio, Oceiros loses grip, drops and tramples the baby, then loses his poo poo.

Jordbo posted:

So what's your favorite soundtrack from the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlHmCpnJIU

But you need to click the lobby gem a few hundred times at the right BPM to open the secret crow level

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 5, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jordbo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVHpOHQum5o
and obviously the main theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWae6r7Blw

Is there any chance of the DLC containing anything like Ludwig's theme? I realize Bloodborne probably had a huge budget and all, but, man, I just want more of that sweet music

Posted a bit above, but Abyss Watchers' theme is fantastic. Soul of Cinder is another one I like.

I agree though, it's not at Bloodborne's level. Even the lesser-liked Bloodborne themes, like Amygdala or Moon Presence, I think are really super good.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I made a video of an invasion that shows why exactly the Mound Makers are the best covenant. It's not in the quality that I want, though. I'm still trying to tweak video settings and stuff.

Edit: That Wolfbro got his grass, right? It's why I went after the host instead of him, but the collapse made me suspicious and I can't remember the win conditions for Wolfbros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AeRAm_8SnQ

Stokes fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 5, 2016

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
So is there a way to counter the obnoxious kirk armor + carthus bloodring cheese? I just dueled a guy several times using this and he was literally impossible to hit. I was using astora greatsword, tried dead angling and timing vertical slashes but couldn't hit him at all. Then I switched up to a straight sword which is usually good at roll catching but STILL could not hit this dude. I tried timing my attacks differently, using a charged R2 timing (lothric knight sword thrust), still nothing.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So how have people been building up pyro builds?

I was thinking keeping INT/FTH scaled equally followed by ATT and a sprinkling of DEX for cast speed. Then VIG and whatever else as needed.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

sd6 posted:

So is there a way to counter the obnoxious kirk armor + carthus bloodring cheese? I just dueled a guy several times using this and he was literally impossible to hit. I was using astora greatsword, tried dead angling and timing vertical slashes but couldn't hit him at all. Then I switched up to a straight sword which is usually good at roll catching but STILL could not hit this dude. I tried timing my attacks differently, using a charged R2 timing (lothric knight sword thrust), still nothing.

I've rolled people to death to demonstrate how stupid a lot of things in the game are and it's mostly about having a long reaching spinning special attack weapon and luck, or that they patch things.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I'm partial to the Pontiff's and Aldrich's themes. Aldrich's is best experienced, however, by watching someone struggle with so much magic and arrows getting thrown at them.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Yes but I did all of that in dark souls 1 and now I'm grumpy and hateful against everything new and shiny. Can't help it bro.

I'm with you. I think Dark Souls 3 is a turd and I struggled to complete it just once. Nothing about it feels fun to me. Maybe I've just had enough Souls games.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

So how have people been building up pyro builds?

I was thinking keeping INT/FTH scaled equally followed by ATT and a sprinkling of DEX for cast speed. Then VIG and whatever else as needed.

Int and faith until 30/30 and ATT 18 -> 24 whenever needed. 3 slots is quite enough for pve but extra FP helps. I'd rather go for cast speed ring instead of putting points to dex, it gives very little benefit per point. Vigor 27 and endurance 20+ helps a ton.

Great chaos fire orb and hidden body is all you need

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I guess there was Paladin whats his name and Maiden whats her face in Demons, which also happened to be one of the best bosses in the series.

Leeroy in DS1 dropped basically a weathered and torn up Bramd, but I'm disappointed we never got a retread of Garl's dark silver armor in later games.

Even without DeS being my first Souls game, more than any other his getup has managed to stick in mind for cool ones through the series.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have to ask again if people really believe that the Oceiros fight was entirely 100% complete with the baby involved and then suddenly they decided to change something for whichever reasons, ratings or otherwise, and then changed NOTHING except setting EnableBabyVisibility=0

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Yardbomb posted:

Leeroy in DS1 dropped basically a weathered and torn up Bramd, but I'm disappointed we never got a retread of Garl's dark silver armor in later games.

Even without DeS being my first Souls game, more than any other his getup has managed to stick in mind for cool ones through the series.

Velstadt's helmet is squiddy like Garl Vinland's, plus he uses a giant hammer as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RyokoTK posted:

Posted a bit above, but Abyss Watchers' theme is fantastic. Soul of Cinder is another one I like.

I agree though, it's not at Bloodborne's level. Even the lesser-liked Bloodborne themes, like Amygdala or Moon Presence, I think are really super good.

I prefer BB's too but it's kind of apples and oranges, BB is scored like an action/horror movie with blaring horns and screeching strings, DS is more subdued and melancholic in general and especially 3

Dancer is my favourite, it's so weird and ethereal, ties in well with the Dancer's 'looks human but wrong' thing she has going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3xQga-2LX4

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

sd6 posted:

I haven't tried that specifically, but: unless the Kirk armor staggers you, one way to punish roll spamming in general is to stay right on their butt, hoping they'll panic and either try to rolling attack or parry. If you keep running after them, they will run out of stamina before you do. But if they keep their cool and time their rolls perfectly, you can always try counter-attacks with a long weapon. If they have a smaller weapon, try trading with your greatsword, and if they have a large weapon, counter attack.

edit: and yeah, you're not gonna hit anyone with a greatsword without proper timing - as I see it ultra-greatswords are all about trading or luring your opponent into your attacks. Think of them as defensive rather than offensive weapons, if that makes sense

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 5, 2016

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sakurazuka posted:

I prefer BB's too but it's kind of apples and oranges, BB is scored like an action/horror movie with blaring horns and screeching strings, DS is more subdued and melancholic in general and especially 3

Dancer is my favourite, it's so weird and ethereal, ties in well with the Dancer's 'looks human but wrong' thing she has going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3xQga-2LX4

The first time I heard this I thought her footsteps were part of the music and it creeped me the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I've just noticed that someone has changed the header image of all the Soul's games on Wikipedia to a giant shot of Miyazaki's head.