Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Anyone around on the PS4 who can help me mule some things between chars?

Msg: Monkrocker

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Rythe posted:

Well poo poo I thought that was the end boss and I just respeced to a pyro build to start in the NG+. I am thinking this last boss might be a bit much since I have never played a pyromancer up until now, this should be amusing.

It'll be a bit much but not because of inexperience :cawg:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

If I wasn't specced as a killer pyromancer, my victory against Nameless King wouldn't have come so quickly. It took many tries (20 - 30) to defeat him but if I fought him as my halberd character then I can only imagine I wouldn't have been able to solo it.

The good news is I was able to defeat Soul Of Cinder in one go, but I knew I wasn't going to have too much trouble with him after vanquishing the Twin Princes.

When the DLC inevitably comes around I'll pick up my halberd character again. Although my pyromancer is a far more powerful of a character, my heart is in the halberd.

Black Knight glaive :colbert:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

It'll be a bit much but not because of inexperience :cawg:

So how screwed am I going from heavy armor and ultra great sword to a fast chaos sword and fire balls?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah BK Glaive is pretty drat strong and useful, although in my play through I kept a broadsword as backup for annoying enemies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he resists fire but otherwise isn't a hard fight

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it would be nice if the guides told you you have to free siegward from the irithyll dungeon before he can save greirat. oh well next playthrough i guess

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah BK Glaive is pretty drat strong and useful, although in my play through I kept a broadsword as backup for annoying enemies.

I got mine maxed out to +5 and it's better than me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Relin posted:

it would be nice if the guides told you you have to free siegward from the irithyll dungeon before he can save greirat. oh well next playthrough i guess

I thought that you were too late to save greirat in irithyll if siegward had moved to the dungeon in the first place

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rythe posted:

So how screwed am I going from heavy armor and ultra great sword to a fast chaos sword and fire balls?

You will kill bosses twice as fast and take no damage. Great weapons are for chumps.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

RottenK posted:

Sad to see what happened to Gwyndolin. I always let him live in DS, makes me feel a bit down that his canonical fate is to be eaten alive by some dumb fat cannibal.

RIP moon prince :(

I was reading a breakdown of the noises you hear just outside that boss room.

It's Gwyndolin softly weeping about being eaten :buddy:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

HaB posted:

Anyone around on the PS4 who can help me mule some things between chars?

Msg: Monkrocker

Thanks!
If you didn't get this done I can help in a bit. We're already friends, I'm MosquitoJones.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

hard counter posted:

I was reading a breakdown of the noises you hear just outside that boss room.

It's Gwyndolin softly weeping about being eaten :buddy:

No its just the sound the Aldrich priests make.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I fought 21 people with dual crossbows before I ran into a person who just held their shield up and I had no recourse.

They were a good sport and proved their point and then went back to fighting me but dual lothric knight crossbows might be unbeatable, I don't have one upgraded.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

pickle pee, pump-a-rum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcPOxkpfUoE

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

No its just the sound the Aldrich priests make.

I think that point was brought up during the original discussion so the person did a re-recording with all dudes slain to nearly the same effect, minus certain dialogues. Ocerios similarly has weird noises going on outside his boss door.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Can you get summoned by the auto-summon covenants while you have a sign down? The symbol is still glowing, but I just want to make sure

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

super fart shooter posted:

Can you get summoned by the auto-summon covenants while you have a sign down? The symbol is still glowing, but I just want to make sure

Anecdotally, I have once. For Darkmoon, even.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I wasn't able to pick up this game until last week and I'm working my way through it right now and I've got a very specific question: is there any way I can cast sorceries for less than 2 weight? I started as an Assassin and I like being able to have a couple utlity spells like Spook on hand to complement my usual dex-based backstabbing playstyle but I'm having a hard time keeping my weight low enough for light rolling and it'd really help if I could open up a couple fractions of a unit on that front.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Opposing Farce posted:

I wasn't able to pick up this game until last week and I'm working my way through it right now and I've got a very specific question: is there any way I can cast sorceries for less than 2 weight? I started as an Assassin and I like being able to have a couple utlity spells like Spook on hand to complement my usual dex-based backstabbing playstyle but I'm having a hard time keeping my weight low enough for light rolling and it'd really help if I could open up a couple fractions of a unit on that front.

There are several staves that weigh exactly 2 units but none below that. The crystal chime can cast both miracles and sorceries while weighing 0.5, but that's an endgame catalyst.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I got summoned as a Blue Sentinel tonight, but the host died within seconds of my arrival.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Internet Kraken posted:

There are several staves that weigh exactly 2 units but none below that. The crystal chime can cast both miracles and sorceries while weighing 0.5, but that's an endgame catalyst.

Thanks, that sounds perfect. From what I've heard I'm pretty deep in by now--I'm just a bonfire or two past the Dancer--so I'll be glad to have a little more flexibility with my armor once I get my hands on it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

hard counter posted:

I think that point was brought up during the original discussion so the person did a re-recording with all dudes slain to nearly the same effect, minus certain dialogues. Ocerios similarly has weird noises going on outside his boss door.

That guy edited his post to say he accidentally left a cleric alive.

This is what Aldrich actually sounds like on idle.

I don't think you can actually hear it outside the boss room. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lost connection to steam for three seconds? Uh oh, better kick you back to the title screen and then permanently kill all USB input devices to force a hard reset just for good measure :thumbsup:

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I hate this game for its linearity. Bloodborne did it way better. Its just not a very replayable game. Damnit. How hard is it to add some more connections and make the loving replay value shoot up in the sky god nibblitz.
I will always love dark souls and demons souls and bloodborne, the proper trilogy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's all connected and bloodborne was just as linear so idk what more you want

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
The 130 something dollars of cash i spent on japanese gift cards back.

Its not the game's fault, Im just tired of the formula by now i think

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

releasing three games in as many years will do that. I know I haven't played this game nearly as much as bloodborne or dark souls 2 either and it's absolutely because of fatigue from playing a bunch of similar games recently

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This game is technically less linear than Bloodborne because you can kill a mid-game boss earlier than you're supposed to and unlock like six additional bosses ahead of time, so it makes a lot more builds viable for more than half the game.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

RyokoTK posted:

This game is technically less linear than Bloodborne because you can kill a mid-game boss earlier than you're supposed to and unlock like six additional bosses ahead of time, so it makes a lot more builds viable for more than half the game.

What boss is that? Dancer is hardly midgame

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dancer opens up the endgame areas

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Manatee Cannon posted:

releasing three games in as many years will do that. I know I haven't played this game nearly as much as bloodborne or dark souls 2 either and it's absolutely because of fatigue from playing a bunch of similar games recently

Yeah absolutely. The games have become progressively more skill oriented too, previously you could easily cheese all bosses, now they are a challenge. Which is mostly good, but gone are the days when you could cheese a boss and get access to some really good equipment. (Apart from dancer I guess, but you don't even get the dual swords from that until you've unlocked archives.)

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

I can't think of anything clever to say about this, just watch me dunk on some would-be ganker.

(Yes I know they were alone but they were clearly trying to use blue spirits for their ganksquad)

this sucks. you suck.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I AM THE MOON posted:

this sucks. you suck.

Fine, I deleted it.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

What are the six bosses unlocked early? I can only think of Dragonslayer Armor, Consumed King, and Champion Gundyr. Which ones am I forgetting?

People are overlooking Bloodborne's non-linearity. The first boss can be skipped, and Old Yharnam and Hemwick are accessible early and completable in any order, the first of which allows you to skip the Cathedral Ward gate key. Some areas have an effect on the world depending on the order you complete them, which can make your playthrough unique compared to someone else's. For example, the kidnappers appearing after killing Blood-Starved Beast but before killing Rom, or clearing Hemwick at night with Insight-triggered monsters teleporting in (like I did in my first playthrough) versus clearing it in the daytime. That non-linearity is why opinions were so varied on bosses like Vicar Amelia. For some people, she was only the second boss of the game. The difference from DS3 is that non-linearity could happen naturally because the branching areas are accessible early on from the main path, while fighting the Dancer early requires the knowledge that you can kill an NPC for secret early access.

If I had to compare the two games, I'd say Bloodborne is less linear because so many areas are accessible early and have a flexible order of completion. This ignores your point about build variety where DS3 obviously has the advantage.

Toady fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 5, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

QuarkJets posted:

Drang Hammers seem pretty cool, I'm screwing around in lothric castle and they are solid weapons

Any feeling on how they do in PvP? I know it's not an estoc or a longsword but they at least seem pretty quick

Internet Kraken posted:

Terrible for invasions. They have a good moveset but they are in the hammer category and as such arbitrarily do not get as much phantom range as long swords. You will have a ton of trouble against multiple people because you have to be so close to hit them. The weapon swings in wide arcs but the lack of range means hitting more than one target is really hard.

In 1v1s they do a lot better but you're basically never gonna get those invading.
I used the Drang Hammers a lot, they were my go-to "I really want to win this fight and not just screw around" weapon. I concede that there are better weapons if you're up against a gank squad, but that's a tough fight to win no matter what you use unless you specifically plan for it with the WoGstick or whatever.
However, you can and will kill people in a single combo (not from full health), and that is fantastic and you will love them for it. This does work wonders against overeager phantoms.

The plan for using them is switching up your moves a lot and surprising people with what they can do, then get them to make one mistake and unload a full L2 ---> R2 or L1, L1, L1 onto them. Most builds need to rush you to attack, and the delay on the L2 is just different enough to the one on the L1 or even the plain R1 (never use the R2) to surprise eager straight sword spammers. What's also gold is that many people don't realize how well the L1 comboes - meaning you can swing once and miss and they'll be like "aaaah my opportunity", run in, but you never stopped pressing L1, and even if they don't get hit by that (low range, I admit), you keep pressing L1 and hit them with the final crossswing of the combo. Nobody expect you to just keep going. Same for the spin attack, everybody thinks if you miss the first spins, you're easy prey because you'll stop attacking and wait for another opportunity, but you can just press R2 regardless and they'll run into it without fail, especially as the spin takes you forward, mitigating your low range.

This is to whittle down people and make them weary. Then when they get desperate to just finish you off already, you can land the full combo and they're loving dead. Also, don't forget that rolling + L1 attacks with both weapons for more damage!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Finished the game. Don't think the game that much replay value: PvP has worse mechanics (the input buffering is especially infuriating) than Dark Souls 2, and since magic sucks balls, there doesn't seem to be a lot of build variety. Not sure how they managed to make the game that much worse, the only thing they had to change from DS2 was to remove Soul Memory. Hopefully the upcoming DLC will improve the game.

On a positive note, at least some of the bosses like Nameless King gave a nice challenge.

Smol fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 5, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While bloodborne is fairly linear you almost always have two options on what to do (old yharnam, hemwick, cainhurst, upper cathedral ward, nightmare frontier are all optional and you can choose when to do them) which goes a long way to making it feel less linear. If you just beeline the required areas it's actually pretty short.

Bloodborne can get away with this because there's not really "builds" in that game as much as just different melee weapons gated by stats, which are very similar in terms of effectiveness. Every character plays much the same way, with only a little wiggle room introduced later on if you really invested heavily into arcane and bloodtinge. In dark souls there are lots more options, which is why dark souls 2 had the best structure because you could go straight to the area that unlocked the stuff you want. Sorcery, pyromancy, miracles, and hexes can all be accessed in just 2 areas if you know where to go, and that's without having to fight a lategame boss with pants gear or with an exploit.

Unrelated: Dismembering champion gundam in under 20 seconds with sorcery was really cathartic after it was the hardest boss for my first character

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Digirat posted:

While bloodborne is fairly linear you almost always have two options on what to do (old yharnam, hemwick, cainhurst, upper cathedral ward, nightmare frontier are all optional and you can choose when to do them) which goes a long way to making it feel less linear. If you just beeline the required areas it's actually pretty short.

Bloodborne can get away with this because there's not really "builds" in that game as much as just different melee weapons gated by stats, which are very similar in terms of effectiveness. Every character plays much the same way, with only a little wiggle room introduced later on if you really invested heavily into arcane and bloodtinge. In dark souls there are lots more options, which is why dark souls 2 had the best structure because you could go straight to the area that unlocked the stuff you want. Sorcery, pyromancy, miracles, and hexes can all be accessed in just 2 areas if you know where to go, and that's without having to fight a lategame boss with pants gear or with an exploit.

Unrelated: Dismembering champion gundam in under 20 seconds with sorcery was really cathartic after it was the hardest boss for my first character

Actually demons souls had the best structure and dark souls 2 suck, but I generally agree with what youre saying. Sprinting around dangerous areas to get the right equipmeny for your build is one of the highlights of the series for me. Bloodborne was different which made it work, but dark souls 3 just is like one or two major connections away from being absolutely perfect, its such a shame because the world design is amazing. They should have connected that bridge both ways, and maybe put a looong elevator from lothric castle down to the flooded woods or something like that, it would have meant alot for the replayability.

Curdy Lemonstan fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What made dark souls 2's structure suck compared to demon's souls which was almost the same