Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
what a poo poo game gently caress you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

S.J. posted:

Yeah it seems like the people at the USA and Japanese branches really don't like each other

Remember how Capcom USA had to fight HQ over Hyper Fighting?

Yeah, nothing's loving changed.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

inthesto posted:

Remember how Capcom USA had to fight HQ over Hyper Fighting?

Yeah, nothing's loving changed.

What happened with that?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hyper Fighting came out, Capcom of America recommended that Capcom make the game faster and the Japanese branch vehemently refused to do it. They said it would break the game, make it unplayable, and unfun for everyone. The American branch modded the game themselves and released it and it is still the most beloved version of SF2 to this day.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
James Goddard went on to make Weaponlord so I don't think him having the one good idea of "make the game faster" puts him that far ahead of anybody.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the scary part is that he's still ahead somehow

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

What happened with that?

http://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history

A great read.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug

Ordered some street fighter cologne.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

James Goddard went on to make Weaponlord so I don't think him having the one good idea of "make the game faster" puts him that far ahead of anybody.

i could swear weaponlord was plagued by all sorts of developmental trouble, leading to, amongst other things, huge delays. but i don't actually know if i know what i'm talking about here.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

weaponlord was the most innovative piece of poo poo ever made to be fair

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i looked it up and it was actually badly rushed, i guess it just took years before i was able to find a copy and be heavily let down

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it is among the least responsive fighting games i have ever played

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Enkmar posted:

what a poo poo game gently caress you guys

everyone who vehemently defends this game is scum

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
GameSpot did a piece on Weaponlord a few years back, and it's a good read like the oral history of SF was:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/forging-weaponlord/1100-6409025/

Long story short, Weaponlord turned out to be the inverse of Street Fighter, where the game was crushed by its own hubris and ambition

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

they literally didn't have the technology or budget to do what they wanted to do, like, at a basic level, I'm sure they then dumped a bunch more crazy ideas on top of it for good fit tho.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Akira Nishitani posted:

Initially, Dhalsim's arms and legs didn't stretch as long as they ended up in the final game. But everybody wanted to make their character better than the others, so his arms and legs just kept getting longer and longer.

my god, 25 years of jank street fighter balance finally makes sense

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Who all is going to CEO?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Me

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So Gief is like fun for 10 minutes and then you realize how much he sucks and start playing Alex instead.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ibuki's story mode costume is pretty... boring

edit: fixed tags

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
That looks like Karin's current alt costume.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
These SFV girls can't touch Rose's pretty dress game yet they keep trying.

But yeah, it's kinda dull and it looks like Karin's alt.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hiddenriverninja posted:

Wow both the model and the story art look awful but in unique ways. Brave capcom.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
A friend of mine swears up and down that weapon lord is fun, but he also said I should play eternal champions so I'm very skeptical of his recommendations now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gammatron 64 posted:

A friend of mine swears up and down that weapon lord is fun, but he also said I should play eternal champions so I'm very skeptical of his recommendations now

Eternal Champions is by far the best Fighting Game compatible with the Sega Activator there is.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

I like that even in the static image they chose to debut the costume, Ibuki's hair is clipping right through that purse.

If she was doing something action-y then it would be a little more forgivable, even if it's sloppy; she's just in her idle stance though.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Something is always clipping through something else in this game, Capcom absolutely doesn't care.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To be honest I don't care too much either. The only time it's blatant is when you're on character select and everything is SUPER zoomed in.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

clipping is the least of the game's problems but when combined with everything else it makes it clear how rushed they are

it's also fun seeing the artist's ibuki model outside of the sf5 engine and within the sf5 engine because it lets one realize that the game actively makes things look awful

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That's another thing I don't get, while I'm playing devil's advocate and all: SFV doesn't look bad. Okay, it doesn't look good either, but the battle UI is good, there's a clear style to the game, the animations are good and the textures are fine. It's fine. I think Ken Face meme kinda overpushed the "this game looks horrendous" narrative.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What happened to her fingers?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'm more on top of hating the general lack of archetypes and crappy netcode.

At least half the characters had lovely costumes during any particular release of sf4 costumes, (usually the other half were acceptable, and then there were like a few standouts)

Also its funny with clipping, i realized how out of the way capcom went to avoid things that might clip in sf4. Maybe they had no practice and were trying to show off and it backfired.

It feels like the best hope for this game is for us to walk away for a while (OR PLAY ANOTHER COOL PRETTY GAME WITH BEDMAN IN IT) and come back next year and see what this games about.

It says a lot when im enjoying struggling against scrubs as amane in blazeblue with a literal net population of like 36, and maybe being able to play with 7 of them, than playing sf5 vs randoms

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
I think the game overall is really pretty - the biggest issue I have with any visual design elements is the main UI. Why is CFN a huge button in the center of the screen when it doesn't actually do anything?

Ibuki's hair clipping isn't jarring considering the other horrible clipping and weird model physics in the game. Still, even for a small reveal they could have taken a few screenshots from different angles and tried to make it look nice.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dias posted:

That's another thing I don't get, while I'm playing devil's advocate and all: SFV doesn't look bad. Okay, it doesn't look good either, but the battle UI is good, there's a clear style to the game, the animations are good and the textures are fine. It's fine. I think Ken Face meme kinda overpushed the "this game looks horrendous" narrative.

the art style looks like poo poo and the rest on a technical level is barely passable so it comes together looking pretty awful
the only stuff that's actually good is the animations but those can only do so much when everything else works against it

and once again, whatever they're doing in-engine in regards to lighting/shaders or whatever actively makes the models look worse so maybe barely passable is pushing it

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I really, really wanted to like this loving game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I remember saying that after SFV comes out there will never be a reason to ever play SF4 again...Oh how wrong I was.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I remember saying that after SFV comes out there will never be a reason to ever play SF4 again...Oh how wrong I was.

were you? i mean its not like you have to pick between sf 4 and 5 and thats it

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Sf4 is the game that everyone loved to hate but secretly enjoyed playing.

i hated marvel so in never popped it back in, but for some reason sf4 people outwardly hate it yet, played.

sf5 people actually hate, but still play as well. its just that the game is also unpolished on top of everything.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i still play 4 every now and then. not as much as 5 but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
reminder all the Important People in the FGC who Totally Loved SFxT are the same people who defend SF5 and make ironic 8 Frames jokes in an attempt to discredit or belittle concerns over objectively terrible aspects of the game and who now more than ever have a financial incentive for the game to do well

if you didn't believe Paid Capcom Shill was a thing before, wait until you see high level fighting game players or supposedly Knowledgeable Fighting Game Smartman Commentators trying to tell you a competitive fighting game having 8 frames of input lag isn't a big deal