Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Endorph posted:

speaking from experience, some of them steal your copy of shadow hearts: from the new world
Lesbians confirmed for having good taste in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

also if i was gonna be edgy about mass effect id say that bioware's whole 'progressiveness' thing is total garbage enacted by white dudes who think being okay with their wife sleeping with other men makes them like a 4 on the kinsey scale, and if they actually gave a poo poo about gay people, lesbians especially, they'd include gay characters who aren't complete garbage, sexy aliens, irrelevant to the plot, or some combination thereof. sera in dragon age inquisition made me swear off buying a bioware product ever again for the rest of my life, and i actually kind of enjoyed the game otherwise.

what about dorian

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Josephine is lesbian too, isn't she?
josephine's bi

Dr Pepper posted:

So like what does she just fruitlessly hit on women and never succeed.
no, id like that character

Rascyc posted:

what about dorian
eh

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Gay Crewman worked in the area of your ship where the tank thing from ME1 used to be stored and he made fun of it, which I thought was funny. He also used to fight on the front lines. I think there was another guy on the ship who had a crush on him but that memory is hazy. Anyway I kinda liked him and remember more to him than just being gay.

I will not argue that western games are good at gay ladies though. Veronica was arguably the best written lesbian in a mainstream western rpg and her story was just pretty good. While guys represent more heavily in the industry and lesbianism is heavily fetishized, I have a hard time seeing the problem getting much better any time soon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Gay Crewman worked in the area of your ship where the tank thing from ME1 used to be stored and he made fun of it, which I thought was funny. He also used to fight on the front lines. I think there was another guy on the ship who had a crush on him but that memory is hazy. Anyway I kinda liked him and remember more to him than just being gay.

I will not argue that western games are good at gay ladies though. Veronica was arguably the best written lesbian in a mainstream western rpg and her story was just pretty good. While guys represent more heavily in the industry and lesbianism is heavily fetishized, I have a hard time seeing the problem getting much better any time soon.

You're probably thinking of James, voiced by Freddy Prince Jr. Also Gay guy's name is Cortez and I never had any clue he was gay. He was just that guy James was always shooting the poo poo with. That's one of the best things about 3, your crewmates actually interact with each other instead of holding up in their own little section of the ship.

Also it was nice meeting Christine, Veronica's lover, but holy poo poo, Dead Money is the worst thing. I wanted a refund even though I didn't pay for it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dead money is actually one of the best written parts of new vegas, it's just not fun to play

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dead Money would be fine without the loving radios.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I could deal with the DA2 "everyone is bi" thing being in more games, especially if they just don't make a big deal about your respective genders; I feel like Bioware took the wrong message from that, since everyone being bi wasn't the problem, it was that everyone except Aveline was loving intolerable

The controls for Romancing SaGa 2 were driving me completely nuts so I ended up just downloading Bluestacks and playing it on my PC. It's...a lot better that way, since you can map the touch controls to keys.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Zereth posted:

FF14 is genuinely good as a Final Fantasy game and would stay that way if it was a single-player game with the same plot.

It still has one of the best intros to any RPG ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

dead money is actually one of the best written parts of new vegas, it's just not fun to play

I agree.. I think it and Lonesome Road are my favorites. Unfortunately, there's a lot of terrible gameplay between all the good story parts in DM so I couldn't even fully enjoy the story.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

The Colonel posted:

Much like the entirety of New Vegas.

But then I'm one of those people that liked 3 better because the exploration wasn't a closed off horseshoe unless you exploit stealth boys or run and hope not to die.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

when i think of gay people in bioware i always think of GAY CREWMAN from me3, who i literally remember nothing about other than "he was gay"

OK I have to defend ME3 a bit here: Cortez (assuming you're taking about him, the shuttle pilot) actually has a personality. He does a lot of stuff that does not in any way relate to him being gay. He's even friends with James, the buff guy, without any weird stuff going on between them.

In fact, if you don't talk to him, multiple times, and probe him for it, you wouldn't even know he's gay. I guess he must have been in the promotional material a lot of something, and advertised as "NOW YOU CAN FINALLY BE GAY AND LOOK AT THIS GUY HE'S GAY"? Because he really doesn't come off badly at all in the game.

Now your bridge buddy/personal secretary Traynor, there's someone with very little personality beyond "cute girl who totally has a crush on you (if you're female)" She has some stuff about not fitting in with this crew, who are all like living legends by now, but it's really minor.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

But then I'm one of those people that liked 3 better because the exploration wasn't a closed off horseshoe unless you exploit stealth boys or run and hope not to die.

It's always good to find someone else who liked 3's gameplay more. People always yammer on about "customization!" and poo poo but I literally never did that, nor did I ever have to do it. Crafting ammo and whatever is a total waste of time. NV is a much easier game than 3.

As for exploration, apparently New Vegas' map is bigger than 3's but gently caress if I could tell. 3 was a lot of fun to explore, I never liked exploring New Vegas.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I cannot condone 3 because the metro tunnels and dc proper are so loving boring

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

NikkolasKing posted:

As for exploration, apparently New Vegas' map is bigger than 3's but gently caress if I could tell. 3 was a lot of fun to explore, I never liked exploring New Vegas.

I was not rewarding to explore in New Vegas. If you did like I did, you either end up in death zones full of Cazadores and scorpions, or you find out that the entire central mountain range has a loving invisible wall running the entire length of it's summit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

The horseshoe is like the first 10 hours of a 100 hour game though?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kokoro Wish posted:

But then I'm one of those people that liked 3 better because the exploration wasn't a closed off horseshoe unless you exploit stealth boys the geometry

:cmon:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Your first 10 hours better engage me or I'm not going to play the other 90. Oh also, they took out the Iron Fist Perk and made unarmed hand to hand both unengaging and virtually impossible. Luckily 4 has me back to breaking necks and suplexing people like it's Skyrim.

Luckily fallout 4 is running quite well on my dinosaur PC and even on low it looks as good as Skyrim alot of the time, so I have my bases covered and I'm really enjoying it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Kokoro Wish posted:

I was not rewarding to explore in New Vegas. If you did like I did, you either end up in death zones full of Cazadores and scorpions, or you find out that the entire central mountain range has a loving invisible wall running the entire length of it's summit.

I felt that exploring New Vegas was more rewarding because the people and stories and poo poo I'd find when I explored were actually interesting. I feel like it's necessary to say I am not the kind of person who spends 200+ hours in Bethesda games endless playing it like visiting a themepark, playing with different mods, etc, which maybe Skyrim and 3 were more designed for than New Vegas. NV was way more tightly designed. This specifically isn't a slam against it or anything, I've just noticed some people play through Bethesda games for like a thousand hours and some people burn out at the 100 hour mark and I'm always in the latter camp.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 5, 2016

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

New Vegas DLC is some of my favorite video game quest lines ever. Dead Money in particular is this incredible story about obsession and the ending is an amazing bit of gameplay and themes lining up in a really cool way.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my least favorite new vegas dlc is honest hearts and it still has a super powerful backstory that heavily ties into the history of the area and how things came to where they are now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dead Money had a good story but the radio thing was rear end awful. Honest Hearts might have been interesting but it bugged out as soon as I got in there, none of the scripts ran and I just walked out the other end with zero story. I enjoyed OWB but those loving roboscorps and their insane damage threshold (what a poo poo mechanic that was) uuuughhh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the combat in new vegas is a billion times better if you use the rebalance tweak mod thing the lead developer made for himself and put on the internet. iirc one of the things it does is mess with level scaling along with lowering the level cap so that enemies don't get absurdly spongy the more you play and you actually have a chance of capping out before the end of the game

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 5, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
JE Sawyer mod by goon ropekid, yeah. I've heard a lot of good things about it but it also really pushes the survival aspect by making stuff take up lots of space in your inventory and you need to eat and get fresh water. One of these days I might try a run with that mod, it would definitely be a change-up to open-world play.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's my favorite mod because it changes mechanics so that drinking too much soda and beer won't murder you

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The Colonel posted:

it's my favorite mod because it changes mechanics so that drinking too much soda and beer won't murder you

unrealistic

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The problem with DA 2 romances is that if you try to turn someone down, they act all pissy and childish about it and you gain some kind of rivalry points as if that was the worst choice to make. I suppose that's more "realistic" in the sense that people are big babies who can't handle rejection well but it sure as hell doesn't endear me to the characters either. Like what was said earlier, Aveline was about the only tolerable character in that game.

As for Fallout 3 vs New Vegas, Fallout 3 and 4 are designed more like a theme park, where every new area has their own cool little setpieces but don't connect very well to the rest of the world at hand whilst New Vegas has locations and scenarios which felt more grounded in the setting. Those who like exploration and just want to shoot poo poo tend to prefer the Bethesda made games and those who prefer the role playing aspect tend to prefer the Black Isle games and New Vegas. I think Bethesda themselves realized this, which is why Fallout 4 stripped out a lot of the RPG elements and vastly simplified it though given how the Far Harbor DLC turned out, you can't help but wonder if Bethesda think they maybe stripped it down too much since that attempts to have skill checks again when the main game had none outside of speech checks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like a good way to view the New Vegas open world is that it's a lot like the world map of Fallout 1 and 2, but in first person instead of a map

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
That makes a lot of sense, since I hate exploring, and I liked New Vegas a lot more than 3.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I actually love both things, exploring and heavy story stuff. I put money into the Torment spiritual successor for instance and am avidly following the development, but there was something with New Vegas that just didn't mesh with either of those things at all for me. The exploration was heavily curbed, and invisible walls were loving everywhere to try and stop you from getting off the story track (or the story breaking tracks they intended you to try and take). On the other hand, while the world had alot of thoughtful design, it was also full of some really badly designed encounters as far as a game in 3D goes. For my example, there was this one vault that everyone seemed to love that I couldn't loving stand. Going from terminal to terminal, fighting through an uninteresting environment and reading text screes about internal vault politics, then sitting down to a neat video at the end and then being accosted by two robots I had zero chance of defeating at the level I'd gotten into there at. It was an interesting idea presented really badly and there was alot of that for what I managed to play before quitting. Neat ideas presented dully. The one sparkling goofy moment that was really good was the astronaut ghouls.

Oh, also the Legion are a loving stupid visual wrapped around a neat idea. That stuff was goofy enough the design docs of Van Buren. At least they didn't seem to have the hot-rod chariots everyone was excited by.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 5, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You mean unfortunately

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Trails SC is doing a real unsubtle job of trying to hint that Agate's sister is very very dead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The problem with DA 2 romances is that if you try to turn someone down, they act all pissy and childish about it and you gain some kind of rivalry points as if that was the worst choice to make. I suppose that's more "realistic" in the sense that people are big babies who can't handle rejection well but it sure as hell doesn't endear me to the characters either. Like what was said earlier, Aveline was about the only tolerable character in that game.

Friendship/Rivalry is one of the best things about DA2 and I will defend it always. Rather than it be a simplistic straight line of "this person does or does not like you", you can have completely different relationships with your companions and even alter their characters and character development pretty significantly.

Sometimes it comes off as just being an rear end but other times it makes sense, like Rivaling Isabela to make her stop being a completely selfish bitch.

quote:

As for Fallout 3 vs New Vegas, Fallout 3 and 4 are designed more like a theme park, where every new area has their own cool little setpieces but don't connect very well to the rest of the world at hand whilst New Vegas has locations and scenarios which felt more grounded in the setting. Those who like exploration and just want to shoot poo poo tend to prefer the Bethesda made games and those who prefer the role playing aspect tend to prefer the Black Isle games and New Vegas. I think Bethesda themselves realized this, which is why Fallout 4 stripped out a lot of the RPG elements and vastly simplified it though given how the Far Harbor DLC turned out, you can't help but wonder if Bethesda think they maybe stripped it down too much since that attempts to have skill checks again when the main game had none outside of speech checks.

I like roleplaying a lot. NV was better about that but Bethesda still made an effort in their TES games and Fallout 3. Fallout 4 using a ridiculously awful clone of the BW Dialogue Wheel was really lovely.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Man Romancing SaGa 2 has a ton of neat features that go against the stereotypical tediousness of 8bit/16bit era JRPGs the more that I play it : Encouraging Game Overs with inheritance system/expendable party members, cheap spells/skills and flooding you with consumables so you can go all out even in random encounters, non-linear progression with monsters scaling to your party (though they can outpace you if you grind/flee too much), multiple outcomes to quests/scenarios depending on what you choose/when you do them. Granted the game takes 5 steps back with how random and tedious it is to get new skills and spells, but I think it just beat FFVI's World of Ruin in "Most fun I've had in a JRPG of this era".

Might change if I get to the infamous final boss

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 5, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I like roleplaying a lot. NV was better about that but Bethesda still made an effort in their TES games and Fallout 3. Fallout 4 using a ridiculously awful clone of the BW Dialogue Wheel was really lovely.

It's not like the dialogue options in Skyrim are any better.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I agree that Fallout 3 was more fun to explore but New Vegas has so much better writing, roleplaying, and mission design that its not even funny.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Andrast posted:

It's not like the dialogue options in Skyrim are any better.

Yeah but they also weren't trying there. Skyrim had "move the plot along" dialogue and that was clearly all it was meant to be. Your Dragonborn, if you wanted them to have a personality, was something you made up in your head. That's preferable to the game giving options that all amount to "yes" "no", "sarcastic" and "money."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Always pick sarcastic.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

"Lakbay" posted:

Might change if I get to the infamous final boss
Bring at least one female character if you don't want to have a terrible time. Not even kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Trails SC is doing a real unsubtle job of trying to hint that Agate's sister is very very dead.

You can put that together in FC if you're paying attention, if I'm remembering right