Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can always use anime

E: 22 years ago g gundam aired for the first time. A good anime.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

As someone once said to me, when you realise you've offended someone you have two options. You can make a simple change to your language or behaviour so that it's no longer offensive, or you can start arguing for your right to offend people. Choosing option two, regardless of any truth to it, makes you an rear end in a top hat.
Some people deserve to be offended, otherwise you just end up with liberal "denying free speech to fascists is a form of fascism".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I get all my slang terms from my brothers, who seem to have a new set of bizarre phrases and insults every time I go home.

Currently popular for idiots/pricks are 'dinlo' and 'jagaloon', which are kosher as far as I can tell

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Currently popular for idiots/pricks are 'dinlo' and 'jagaloon', which are kosher as far as I can tell

There's no way those are real

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Dinlo is Romany/Polari I think

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's dingalo, you dingalo.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
in Pompey it ain't, it's dinlo or din

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

that bit will never not be funny

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

using more creative insults is often pretty fun

dunderhead and chumpnugget are good ones, as is chuckleheads/chucklefucks

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spunkbubble, throbber....

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
retrograde means pretty much the same thing as the original definition of retarded and makes you sound fancy

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Some people deserve to be offended, otherwise you just end up with liberal "denying free speech to fascists is a form of fascism".

I'm turned off 'offended' as a word if only because we live in a society where it's more offensive to call someone a racist than to actually be a racist.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tesseraction posted:

that bit will never not be funny

its a great caption for the video too

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Char did nothing wrong.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Love Like Blood posted:

Lost my loving toenail to a police horse today. On the plus side, the fash march in Bristol today was outnumbered by counter-demonstrators about 100-1 & spent all 20 minutes of their anti-immigration protest in a giant bucket being mocked by local news reporters and forgetting what group they were with.

Let's not let this one slip past, behold the might of the master race in all it's awesome glory:

At an estimated cost of £100,000 for the policing operation that works out to roughly £5,000 per nazi who bothered to turn up.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/AndyLHoward/status/739091023780012032/video/1

Gruffalo Soldier fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 5, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are there any fash backing Remain? Historically at least some threads of the far-right supported a kind of pan-European nationalism, Mosley advocated giving a European Parliament type body even more control and power in Europe a Nation, with a the old national governments limited to social and cultural policy.

Nowdays the far-right seems to have entirely joined the are oval office tree lot though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think the EU's reputation at being able to control immigration from outside Europe is too damaged for fash.

Better to pull back and close the borders of our little inbred island. Britain will then be great again like it was when we uh.... ruled the world by having giant armies made up of people from all the places we conquered while being very much non-isolationist. gently caress knows.

I think the plan is:

1) Leave EU
2) Britain now has infinite money
3) Britain is no.1
4) All Commonwealth nations want to be part of Britain again
5) All people in Commonwealth nations mysteriously white and European????? Makes u think
6) Britain controls world again but has no non-white population because of the dark magiks of John Dee!
7) Instrumentality

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

in Pompey it ain't, it's dinlo or din

I remember it had a brief vogue in the 80s after being used in a kids show (Grange Hill maybe?) as a kid-safe curse word. Which of course meant any kid who used was instantly called every single one of those words that have just been discussed, because bowlderised swearwords are the stupidest loving thing. Either swear or don't, oval office.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Cerv posted:

The sole remaining elected representative of the CPGB is standing down. Although he's been sitting as an independent since that party went in the 90s and apparently the CPB can't make some technical criteria for getting named on the ballot. Does anyone know what that's about?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/last-elected-communist-in-uk-stands-down-from-fife-council-1-4144458

Looks like the Communist Party of Scotland, which he's a member of, isn't registered with the electoral commission. Don't know why, it costs £150 and you have to maintain and submit annual accounts to ensure compliance with rules regarded funding but apart from that there really isn't much in the way of barriers

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think the EU's reputation at being able to control immigration from outside Europe is too damaged for fash.

Better to pull back and close the borders of our little inbred island. Britain will then be great again like it was when we uh.... ruled the world by having giant armies made up of people from all the places we conquered while being very much non-isolationist. gently caress knows.

I think the plan is:

1) Leave EU
2) Britain now has infinite money
3) Britain is no.1
4) All Commonwealth nations want to be part of Britain again
5) All people in Commonwealth nations mysteriously white and European????? Makes u think
6) Britain controls world again but has no non-white population because of the dark magiks of John Dee!
7) Instrumentality

I think the plan is actually

1) FUKCIN IMIGRANTS
2) CLOSE TEH BORDERS
3) ARE BOYS MAN THE WALLS
4) who cares what happens after that

which isn't actually much different to the official Leave 'plan' which is making inroads with the terrible terrible public consciousness

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its "Lets leave the EU and everything will instantly be better, and all of those important people that say they won't strike favourable deals with us after leaving are all lying".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Are there any fash backing Remain? Historically at least some threads of the far-right supported a kind of pan-European nationalism, Mosley advocated giving a European Parliament type body even more control and power in Europe a Nation, with a the old national governments limited to social and cultural policy.

Nowdays the far-right seems to have entirely joined the are oval office tree lot though.

I too have seen that Foyle's War episode. :v:

Meanwhile, somebody on Twitter is trying to convince me that Cameron was elected but Juncker wasn't. :psyduck:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Gorn Myson posted:

Its "Lets leave the EU and everything will instantly be better, and all of those important people that say they won't strike favourable deals with us after leaving are all lying".

It's not even that a lot of the time - some of them are honest enough to admit they have no idea how it'll work out, and that and the potential negative consequences have been put to Leave supporters as well. Their response basically comes down to 'there's too many immigrants and we need to take back control of our borders'. Seems that's pretty much what's driving this referendum, the actual economic and political case for leaving the EU (or lack of it) is practically irrelevant. Action for action's sake

In happier news, John McDonnell is fully ready for the robot future :roboluv:

quote:

John McDonnell: Labour taking a close look at universal basic income

Labour is considering backing the idea of a universal basic income – a radical transformation of the welfare state that would ditch means-tested benefits in favour a flat-rate payment.

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, who is keen to find policies to match his slogan of a “new economics,” will appear at the launch of a report on the proposal from the left-wing campaign group Compass in the House of Commons on Monday evening.

McDonnell said the research, “makes an interesting case for a universal and unconditional payment to all which could prepare our country for any revolution in jobs and technology to come – it is an idea Labour will be closely looking at over the next few years”.

“Central to the case for a UBI is the way it would help prepare us for a world in which the new technological revolution, driven by artificial intelligence and robotics, will, over time, transform the nature of work and the type and number of jobs.

quote:

The centrist Labour backbencher Jonathan Reynolds, who resigned from Jeremy Corbyn’s shadow cabinet in January, will also appear at Monday’s event, indicating the idea is not just under consideration on the left of the party.

Reynolds said: “As our economy and the jobs in it have changed, the welfare state has struggled to keep up. If we want a system that makes work pay and does something to tackle the appalling levels of poverty in the UK, then we need to think radically. This is a welcome report into what could be the cornerstone of a modern welfare state.”

quote:

The Compass research, which was supported by charity the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, finds that shifting immediately to a UBI would be prohibitively expensive and create too many losers among the poorest families.

However, the authors, economists Howard Reed and Stewart Lansley, argue that a transitional system could be created at an annual cost of £8bn, which would leave many means-tested benefits in place. The tax-free personal allowance, currently worth £11,000, would be abolished, and tax rates would rise; but every citizen would receive a payment of £71 a week, or £51 for pensioners. They say such a system would cut child poverty by 45%, and 60% of those in the bottom fifth of the income distribution would gain more than 20%.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
mainstream coverage of UBI is accelerating, and it is now quicker to highlight that many proposals involve large reductions in niche situations that have very high payouts (eg disabled pensioner requiring care resident in an expensive area)

ofc in a discourse of universal credit, that might not be a very large additional hurdle to vault

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Only if the case for UBI is allowed to be framed as 'everyone gets X amount and if you need any more then too bad'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ronya posted:

mainstream coverage of UBI is accelerating, and it is now quicker to highlight that many proposals involve large reductions in niche situations that have very high payouts (eg disabled pensioner requiring care resident in an expensive area)

ofc in a discourse of universal credit, that might not be a very large additional hurdle to vault

the problem is i think you need huge levels of unemployment before people will not want it killed out of spite

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So do you get that money on top of your salary or instead of.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Namtab posted:

I'd hope on top of, that way you don't starve if you don't work but no one will moan about incentives.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Namtab posted:

on top of

ie much of the funds will not be going to people who are the poorest in society. But since when has this ever been a problem? See also: tuition fees.

baka kaba posted:

Only if the case for UBI is allowed to be framed as 'everyone gets X amount and if you need any more then too bad'

that is indeed how it is being framed, especially as budgetary constraints become a larger and larger feature of proposals

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
£71 a week for everyone is basically "JSA gets a much needed hike and also everybody gets it all the time, sanctions to be abolished forever"

It's not perfect, and yeah, it's probable it'd be used as a stick to beat the most vulnerable with to the tune of "what, you want more money?". But they're getting a kicking right now as it is what with the risk of immediate and total withdrawal of all benefits on the flimsiest excuse, and I can't think it helps anybody to hold off on incremental progress because changing things will hurt some people even while it helps others.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

that is indeed how it is being framed, especially as budgetary constraints become a larger and larger feature of proposals

It's not, the study explicitly says that some of the current framework will have to remain in place

quote:

But because a flat-rate payment, like a UBI, makes no allowance
for those with additional needs, some suggest there is an
element of rough justice at work. Part of the reason that the present
system is complex is that it attempts to deal with variations
in personal circumstances, which an over simple system finds
it tough to deal with. To tackle this, a UBI either has to be very
generous to deal with these extra needs (which pushes up the
cost) or some types of means testing would need to stay, even if
it undermined the benefits of simplicity. For example, a feasible
UBI system would need to be supplemented with, at least, the
continuation of disability benefits and additional help to cope
with high and variable essential living costs, especially housing
and childcare.16 Our model shows this is possible.

So in the short term, what they're proposing is UBI on principle in addition to the current targeted payments. They talk about establishing a fund to increase the base UBI rate over time, but that doesn't require every other welfare payment to be phased out. If anything it makes more sense to consider things like social care and disability support as part of the NHS, which is explicitly a 'to each according to their need' setup

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Ahhh good, my childhood returns to me.

I watched every loving episode religiously of this, god drat it made me ready for the inevitability of life.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Intent is everything. No one saying retarded ITT is ever going to be mocking people with downs syndrome. Point taken anyway. But I am getting a little frustrated just how little language there is left that can fully encapsulate my hatred for the people of this loving country. "Stupid" just doesn't have the right weight to it. Moron has a nice ring to it but it also has its origins as a medical term. I guess "Thicky thicky thickton!!!!!!!" will have to do.
I think "fucktard" is still good to use? Also oval office or did we cover this already last month because it's a word I used for basically every person I ever hated, both genders. In fact I actually use that word more on men than anyone else.

Also poo poo, bastard, fuckhole, fuckhead, honestly just use gently caress-insertwordhere, it's a very versatile word, get inventive like this guy did! - https://youtu.be/1WSHBYkx1xs?t=10m53s

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 5, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"Dirty wee scrote"

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Fannybaws.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

"Dirty wee scrote"

thats gendered and so is what coohoolin said

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

FinalGamer posted:

I think "fucktard" is still good to use?
The "-tard" part clearly comes from retard, so probably not.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Jose posted:

thats gendered and so is what coohoolin said

Fanny and baws are both individually gendered, but I guess together they provide an overall balance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not Operator posted:

Fanny and baws are both individually gendered, but I guess together they provide an overall balance.

i wasn't being serious and a line needs to be drawn somewhere between what is acceptable and isn't. retard and spastic clearly aren't but cretin and moron?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I wasn't serious either, I was just enjoying picturing a sort of insult ph level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can we still call our colon spastic?

• Locked thread