Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Found this http://darkest-hour-game.com/aar/2014-MCWAR-WWII/Barrick_WW2ExAAR-2014-04-15.pdf
at that link which is real cool. Imagine if you could play the game at that level with restricted information dependent on the ones above you in the chain to tell you how to act or feeding information down to the ones below you in the chain and reacting on how they act.

Bonus, I want to be a Soviet field marshal not knowing when I'll get shot in the front of my head at night while I'm sleeping.

This deserves more love. My favourite part was how the ability to easily and quickly view formations and resources in the fronts meant the Joint Staff was constantly tempted to meddle with and micromanage the theatre commands.

I'd love to be an Expert Controller running Japan or Germany in an exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Drone posted:

I don't think you understand what fundamental design means.

Well then that was my mistake, because what I meant was

Drone posted:

it came out half-baked and there's a bunch of poo poo missing.

Though there are features in there that have no business existing. Everything to do with tile management, for instance.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Though there are features in there that have no business existing. Everything to do with tile management, for instance.

What's wrong with tile management?

I won't claim there aren't any problems, but what are your personal issues with it?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gort posted:

I have some concerns that smaller countries don't build armies (see El Salvador and Bhutan streams)

Those don't build armies because they literally don't have the manpower to build armies.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Drone posted:

If the fundamental design of a game is not fine, then no amount of polishing or adding features that were missing at launch will make it a good game. See: Hearts of Iron 3.

If the fundamental design of a game is fine, but polish or features are missing due to whatever factors (in Stellaris' case, a rushed production schedule), then adding the missing features will make it a good game. See: Victoria 2.

I don't think Stellaris is fundamentally terribly interesting. In fact it's a very rote copy of other space 4x games in many many ways but done worse. Yes, there are random species but it doesn't amount to much- the bonuses aren't terribly significant one way or the other and most of them tend to not be very interesting anyway. The sector mechanics are a bad fix for the problem they have, the combat is uninteresting, the diplomacy doesn't work that well, the AI is bad, and the game is super easy.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Drone posted:

If the fundamental design of a game is not fine, then no amount of polishing or adding features that were missing at launch will make it a good game. See: Hearts of Iron 3.

If the fundamental design of a game is fine, but polish or features are missing due to whatever factors (in Stellaris' case, a rushed production schedule), then adding the missing features will make it a good game. See: Victoria 2.

HoI3 is great though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ThaumPenguin posted:

What's wrong with tile management?

I won't claim there aren't any problems, but what are your personal issues with it?

It's a) a lot of micro, b) not interesting and c) almost completely delegated to the sector AI unless you're a masochist with a fetish for min-maxing.

The big headline problem is that it doesn't create interesting gameplay. Once you leave the (very) early game, minerals stop being a limiting factor, so the only choice is "do I want energy or research more right now". The sector development focus buttons are about the maximum level of detail the player needs to plan on, but actually implementing that plan requires a lot of uninteresting busywork, either on the player's part or the sector AI's.

And I'm a big Victoria fan so, y'know, if I think a system serves no purpose beyond tying up CPU cycles then something is probably wrong. It doesn't even function as a simulation.

Panzeh posted:

I don't think Stellaris is fundamentally terribly interesting. In fact it's a very rote copy of other space 4x games in many many ways but done worse. Yes, there are random species but it doesn't amount to much- the bonuses aren't terribly significant one way or the other and most of them tend to not be very interesting anyway. The sector mechanics are a bad fix for the problem they have, the combat is uninteresting, the diplomacy doesn't work that well, the AI is bad, and the game is super easy.

Species generation is something I actually like. It's true, the traits don't amount to much and I'd much prefer a game where different races played in radically different ways, but the species creator and genetic engineering are where I've had the most fun with the game. I like that they've at least tried to keep traits big and chunky and discrete, even if it doesn't really work.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DDRJAKE could have very easily taken all of south and central America if he'd focused on artillery instead of tanks as he faced absolutely no armor units until the us intervened.

He actually played very suboptimal.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Also, not using artillery, in mountaineous terrain, against heavily entrenched soldiers? Buh?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drone posted:

The scariest part is Stellaris has an overall issue where the different systems don't gel in a way to be edifying beyond some of the more literal spreadsheeting victories over getting the most junk for no real reason. That's what I mean when I call it a 4X bonsai tree, its nearly as much a clicker or solitaire board game as a grand strategy game at this point. The mechanisms for dramatic tension and release aren't there except for extremely lucky chance events where alliance blocks are equally matched and can slug it out, fallen empires get moving at a time where it isn't either total victory for them or for you, or if the end game crises don't manage to fizzle due to scripting or just getting curb stomped before they get a foothold. When people ask for midgame/colonizing events, they are asking to pull the wool over their eyes to ignore very fundamental issues about why would you ever interact with this empire or why do you need this mineral anyway.

More specifically, there's the tile and resource system being kind of generic and is everything when you are on your first 5 planets and nothing for any bigger because of how the economy shakes up, as already described. You don't assign planets to a sector as an equal of management because you want them to be stewarded and built up, you do it because you literally don't give a gently caress what it supplies.

For min maxing there's been a few strategies shaken out that mean some ethos are clear winners and some are clear losers. Except by min maxing I mean for resources, and resources quickly stop mattering, so I don't know if that means every ethos wins or every ethos loses.

The ship designer aspect of ship combat is a total trainwreck. 2 out of 4 ship classes are worthless because even after nerfing, corvettes still have best in game damage mitigation because of the attempt to add flavor to each of the classes. Battleships get an honorable mention because of their ability to field the most special large slot weapons in the most efficient way. It needs a fairly substantial redesign to spread the love to different classes. Or just get rid of the useless classes. Or just scrap the whole tire fire and replace it with a fleet designer out of HOI because making a good ship designer combat system is crazy hard.

I like Stellaris but I wouldn't be in a hurry to recommend it to anyone dropping by the thread asking if its any good.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Antti posted:

This deserves more love. My favourite part was how the ability to easily and quickly view formations and resources in the fronts meant the Joint Staff was constantly tempted to meddle with and micromanage the theatre commands.

I'd love to be an Expert Controller running Japan or Germany in an exercise.

It really is an interesting read, I was hoping more people would check it out instead of throwing up strawmen about how we're trying to compare Stellaris to EU4 4 years into its development. My favorite part was how the Soviet theater organically ended up getting suspicious as gently caress of the Allies

zedprime posted:

The ship designer aspect of ship combat is a total trainwreck. 2 out of 4 ship classes are worthless because even after nerfing, corvettes still have best in game damage mitigation because of the attempt to add flavor to each of the classes. Battleships get an honorable mention because of their ability to field the most special large slot weapons in the most efficient way. It needs a fairly substantial redesign to spread the love to different classes. Or just get rid of the useless classes. Or just scrap the whole tire fire and replace it with a fleet designer out of HOI because making a good ship designer combat system is crazy hard.

Star Ruler 2 has a ship builder and combat system that blows Stellaris the gently caress out of the water, among other things, so it's so sad that gets almost no love in these times of turmoil

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sword of the Stars 2 has more interesting ships and ftl mechanics than Stellaris

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

It really is an interesting read, I was hoping more people would check it out instead of throwing up strawmen about how we're trying to compare Stellaris to EU4 4 years into its development. My favorite part was how the Soviet theater organically ended up getting suspicious as gently caress of the Allies

Star Ruler 2 has a ship builder and combat system that blows Stellaris the gently caress out of the water, among other things, so it's so sad that gets almost no love in these times of turmoil

I loving hate Star Ruler 2's ship builder, to be honest. Can't even really use downloaded designs either since they're either end-game or there's such a specific tech window where they'd be good.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If it had a bigger community it might actually have good ships uploaded. I recommend when you're starting out and learning the builder to just use the random design button until you find a design that looks cool and then just change the weapon type to whatever you want. There is alot of neat stuff going on in that game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's kinda hilarious how paradox and CA fans go through the same mental process:

Game is yet to be released - "yeah of course the game will be released full of bugs, it's completely expected that it'll get patched and developed over time"

Game announces DLC even before it's released - "it's their standard pratice, it allows them to create more revenue and stimulates development even after the game is officialy released"

Game is actually released - "this is a buggy piece of poo poo i am completely dissapointed with the company how coul they do this to us when, why would i play this when i have **insert game with literal years of patches, DLC and mods** in my library?"

DLC is announced - "and of course the DLC comes out before the game is even playable! What a loving rip off"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My biggest problem with Stellaris, the thing that bored me to tears and made me stop playing, was that I got in a big war and found it was really frustrating and boring rather than challenging or fun. I had a bigger, better fleet than any of my opponents but I was limited to hyperdrive lanes and they were warp FTL, so instead of actually getting in any battles I was just chasing them around my empire the whole time. When I did manage to get into the same system as them, their FTL spooled up faster than I could cross the system to reach them and initiate combat, and any time I did manage to initiate combat they would just emergency-jump away, which eventually destroyed their fleet through emergency jump damage, but meant that I didn't get the warscore for destroying their fleet in a battle since they didn't die in the battle, they died retreating and apparently that didn't count. And by the time I finished reducing that fleet through emergency jump damage to a size that I could hunt it down with a smaller, faster fleet, they had built another one the same size as the first so I had to begin the same repetitive chase all over again.

Each individual piece of what I've just described isn't necessarily game-breaking on its own. I like the idea of different FTL mechanics. I like the idea of being able to raid enemy systems and avoid bigger fleets. I like the idea of being able to emergency jump away from combat. I like the idea of the enemy replacing lost fleets. But when all combined together in something as fundamental to the game as fighting a war, these individual elements combined made it incredibly frustrating and not fun at all.

Also the fact that the war happened because every empire had like -400 threat with me because I fought two wars over the course of a hundred years, the first time annexing a two-planet empire and the second time taking a couple systems from someone who had declared war on my vassal.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Sword of the Stars 2 has more interesting ships and ftl mechanics than Stellaris

on the other hand Stellaris is an actual game where disapointing ship designs and ftl mechanics can be used, while the spetacular ship and races of SOTS2 might as well not exist because the game only exists in a plane of existence that didn't reach planet earth.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mans posted:

it's kinda hilarious how paradox and CA fans go through the same mental process:

Game is yet to be released - "yeah of course the game will be released full of bugs, it's completely expected that it'll get patched and developed over time"

Game announces DLC even before it's released - "it's their standard pratice, it allows them to create more revenue and stimulates development even after the game is officialy released"

Game is actually released - "this is a buggy piece of poo poo i am completely dissapointed with the company how coul they do this to us when, why would i play this when i have **insert game with literal years of patches, DLC and mods** in my library?"

DLC is announced - "and of course the DLC comes out before the game is even playable! What a loving rip off"

I think your first two caricatures are quoting a different demographic from your last two caricatures.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Drone posted:

What missing features does Victoria 2 need to be good?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

PleasingFungus posted:

an understandable economy

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Groogy posted:

Those don't build armies because they literally don't have the manpower to build armies.

El Salvador didn't seem to have any trouble when it took them over.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CK2 was poorly balanced and, as someone else said, basically White Christian Hunting and Feasting Simulator 2000 at launch. Most Paradox threads goons don't remember this because we were all using CK2+ at the time, which made the game indescribably more playable and interesting. The base game wasn't actually all that good until Old Gods.

Stellaris is the same - there are already mods to ameliorate many of the issues that have been raised in the last page or so. Expanded War Demands and Enhanced AI in particular make war a lot better.

It's not the best thing in the world to have to rely on mods, obviously. It is usual for Paradox though - EU4 didn't need mods but that had more to do with EU3 having plenty of existing content that just needed some better mechanics.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Jazerus posted:

CK2 was poorly balanced and, as someone else said, basically White Christian Hunting and Feasting Simulator 2000 at launch. Most Paradox threads goons don't remember this because we were all using CK2+ at the time, which made the game indescribably more playable and interesting. The base game wasn't actually all that good until Old Gods.

Stellaris is the same - there are already mods to ameliorate many of the issues that have been raised in the last page or so. Expanded War Demands and Enhanced AI in particular make war a lot better.

It's not the best thing in the world to have to rely on mods, obviously. It is usual for Paradox though - EU4 didn't need mods but that had more to do with EU3 having plenty of existing content that just needed some better mechanics.

at least you had an incentive to keep playing CK2 because of the character system and drama it created. there's really no real reason to play stellaris for more than 150-200 ingame years (maybe not even that) before it just stops completely

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PleasingFungus posted:

I think Drone is talking about vanilla Victoria 2, with the two DLC's proving the game was fundamentally fine all along.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Whatever else SotS was you can't deny it was interesting. Stellaris is just super bland.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Jazerus posted:

CK2 has never simulated non-christians well (not that it's super accurate for anywhere outside of certain regions of northeastern france, either!). I don't think that's actually a problem for a game called 'crusader kings 2', though. :)

I played CK2 without any mods at launch and for some time afterward, and it was tons of fun. The only real balance issues I remember them changing were 'assassination is very strong' (which i miss, honestly), and 'it's possible to breed ubermensch', which I generally didn't bother with, since i preferred to get alliances and land through marriage instead. I would absolutely have recommended CK2 to other people at launch, whereas I'm not sure I would do so now.

Old Gods added more interaction with the incomprehensible tech system, perpetual spamming of viking raids, and the first early-start bookmark. Also, IIRC, it caused catholicism to devolve into a constant spiral of heresies and chaos. I picked it up at the time and played around with it for a while, but I wouldn't describe it as a great step forward for the game - what exactly did you like about it?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

zedprime posted:

Or just get rid of the useless classes. Or just scrap the whole tire fire and replace it with a fleet designer out of HOI because making a good ship designer combat system is crazy hard.

No way, it's gonna be cool once it's balanced

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think Drone is talking about vanilla Victoria 2, with the two DLC's proving the game was fundamentally fine all along.

This. Victoria 2 with the expansions is a good game. HOI3 with all the expansions is still a big turd.

Also the comparison between Paradox and Creative Assembly has been brought up before and the two developers aren't really comparable at all beyond "both of them make strategy games I guess"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Enjoy posted:

No way, it's gonna be cool once it's balanced
I like Stellaris so I think it would be really cool if it was a better game sometime before 2018.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

zedprime posted:

I like Stellaris so I think it would be really cool if it was a better game sometime before 2018.

It's good that we can tell at a glance the ship's size and tech level. If the ship designations were random words like the class names it'd be terrible.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How about stop getting mad at video games, don't buy the game and wait for like a few weeks to hear opinions from more than just a few streamers who are absolute dogshit garbage at the game anyway?

Quill18: "Why don't they attack AI is loving stupid" *did not set offensive frontline*

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mans posted:

That's a poor comparison, because Total Warhammer had a stellar release and Attila was also great despite optimization problems and I never saw anyone talk about the lack of content in any of those games. Empire and Rome 2 were the only TW games that were "buggy-piece-of-poo poo" on release and I've been playing this series since Rome 1. Also Paradox doesn't do pre-release DLC like CA does, which is the crux of pre-release criticism aimed at recent Total Wars.

It is also disconnected from reality, both CK2 and EU4 were well-received on release in a way Stellaris simply wasn't (of course, some of their DLCs didn't have the same level of quality control). The first time anyone has made the comparison with earlier games with years of content was with Stellaris' release.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Victoria 2 is an example of Paradox fixing their games to work smoothly now? Strange opinions all up in this thread.

I can see why people like v2 but it is the definition of a seriously flawed game which no amount of patching will fix, because none of the expansions are able to change the inscrutable and chaotic economy which pervades all the game's systems. You could argue this makes for a good and even fun simulation but it's difficult to defend as game design.

I don't think there is much difference between v2 and hoi3, both are confusing bloated messes that expansions and patching have just been putting thicker coats of paint on. The only difference is that uncontrollable chaos fits with the v2 theme of radical social change which improves the experience a bit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Victoria 2 is an example of Paradox fixing their games to work smoothly now? Strange opinions all up in this thread.

I can see why people like v2 but it is the definition of a seriously flawed game which no amount of patching will fix, because none of the expansions are able to change the inscrutable and chaotic economy which pervades all the game's systems. You could argue this makes for a good and even fun simulation but it's difficult to defend as game design.

I don't think there is much difference between v2 and hoi3, both are confusing bloated messes that expansions and patching have just been putting thicker coats of paint on. The only difference is that uncontrollable chaos fits with the v2 theme of radical social change which improves the experience a bit.

Victoria 2 is fundamentally perfect

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Victoria 2 is art, a scathing rebuke of capitalism. The economy is a core part of that.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Victoria 2 is art, a scathing rebuke of capitalism. The economy is a core part of that.

I guess in the same way Stellaris conveys space exploration will not solve our race's ennui and existential despair :smug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I guess in the same way Stellaris conveys space exploration will not solve our race's ennui and existential despair :smug:
No turtleneck sweater + baret option for clothes, no thin cigarettes.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

There are already plenty of indications that HoI4 will launch with severe AI and balance issues. How hard those are to fix remains to be seen.

I haven't kept up with the HOI4 pre-release content - what issues are you talking about?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

double nine posted:

I haven't kept up with the HOI4 pre-release content - what issues are you talking about?

The tactical and strategic AI of the press release version seems to be a bit broken, leading to such fun things as 500km long single provice wide advances into enemy territory without being cut of by the enemy and France abandoning the Maginot line among other fun tidbits, like Italy generally being able to conquer South France and the UK not guaranteeing the independence of certain countries (Benelux) from the beginning, leading to the possibility that Germany can annex Belgium without fighting Britain or France over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

double nine posted:

The AI never sends Einstein back in time to kill Hitler.