Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

double nine posted:

I haven't kept up with the HOI4 pre-release content - what issues are you talking about?

AI's got a problem with prioritising fronts. Groogy says this is a pretty common way for it to break and they usually fix it pretty quickly, so :shrug:

Might be some other problems, I haven't been following the game closely either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

I haven't kept up with the HOI4 pre-release content - what issues are you talking about?

1. Worst Cases of border gore I've ever seen

2. AI doing insane things - France abandoning the Maginot line. Leaving borders unattended (Germany stacked its entire armed forces on the spanish border during a Russian invasion)

Overall the poor AI is allowing things such as Poland taking over Germany in 1940 because the Germans leave the border empty and don't respond to invasions for months at a time.

Standard random, arbitrary naval invasions from the UK.

3. Crazy, impossible poo poo happening on Historical Settings

Like China invading Japan, Spain conquering France 1v1, USA invading USSR from the White Sea etc...

Also 0 Pacific Theatre coverage which is worrying because its probably a worse shitshow than what we've seen.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sounds like we'll have some laughs in this thread the first few months after HOI4 is released.

Phi230 posted:

Standard random, arbitrary naval invasions from the UK.

This happens in every single Paradox game (probably Stellaris too somehow).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Phi230 posted:

Also 0 Pacific Theatre coverage which is worrying because its probably a worse shitshow than what we've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utuujLiMtnY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30y40A-U3CI

two timelapses the first one is a great demonstration of border gore.

In the second one Falangist Poland somehow conquered the SU (as a member of the Allies though?)

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 5, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ThaumPenguin posted:

The AI never sends Einstein back in time to kill Hitler.

That's because the Russians went back in time to kill Einstein.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GaussianCopula posted:

In the second one Falangist Poland somehow conquered the SU (as a member of the Allies though?)

The first one highlights a problem that is probably really easy to fix and that I've seen in several of these timelapse videos, that seems to contribute to border gore: it looks like land captured by expeditionary troops will occasionally (but not always?) flip to the control of the country who originally sent those troops. You see it in the Japanese invasion of eastern Russia, where some provinces will randomly pop up as German Reich.

That's probably a first-patch level bug and may well explain why we see so much one-province-wide snaking (or dumb poo poo like that Legionnaires Bulgaria in the second video, or Chinese Turkey).

Edit: lol Canada invades the home islands

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 5, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Everyone who complains about paradox games is a dumb crybaby and I will fight them personally for paradox's honor. Even in their broken state, people usually get more hours out of these games than they get from some random shooter-blockbuster like Fallout 4. The fun/$ for paradox games is absolutely fantastic(assuming of course that you have autism. But honestly, who doesn't?)

Also, Stellaris was released a buggy mess and I hope paradox learned their lesson and spends more time on QA before release. But that's beside the point.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I have 370 hours played in Fallout 4, 472 in HOI3, 177 in Victoria 2 and 72 in Stellaris. According to the great Goon video game masters, these are all Bad Games™.

Or maybe it's really Goons have bad opinions and run around treating them as facts?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I didn't like Fallout 4, but that is really the wrong example of a game people won't spend a straight year of their life playing.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

GaussianCopula posted:

You mostly seem to be complaining about how occupation is displayed than anything of substance. Falangist Poland "conquered" the SU because thats where the Allies were doing their push. If it annoys the player too much they can request that occupation be transferred to them, and unless its a province the ally actually wants they'll agree to it pretty much 100% of the time. You saw this in the original WWWed game where Germany and the baltic countries were fighting the SU and there was a long snake of Lithuania even though they weren't really doing anything until the player requested that they have them. So it's a literal nonissue.

e: Actually it seems that they just awarded Poland everything in Russia at the end of the war. Which is odd, but not "this game is ruined" type poo poo.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 5, 2016

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Also why are y'all going on about border gore (ugh) during the conflict? If the peace conference system is broken (and there seem to be some problems in the press build) I'd say that's an a-okay complaint, yeah. Bu,t like Schizotek said I don't see the point in taking issue with it when the war is still going on.

Maybe have a toggle for faction colors or something? Because I think it's entirely cosmetic...

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Yeah, some of these Time Lapses end at the End date, not when the war ends, so the post war borders are not shown.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think the problem is they got rid of the striped occupation maps for the system of just painting your color and name over everything.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I have 370 hours played in Fallout 4, 472 in HOI3, 177 in Victoria 2 and 72 in Stellaris. According to the great Goon video game masters, these are all Bad Games™.

Or maybe it's really Goons have bad opinions and run around treating them as facts?

I have 70 hours in Stellaris. Since hours played is a metric of whether my opinion should matter and that's about equal to yours, let me go ahead and tell you: before Stellaris was released, I was expecting a good game. What I got was an enjoyable experience so far, and one that I believe was worth the money spent. What I didn't get was a good game.

Come back at hour 100 or something, when your opinion will definitely outweigh mine!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Stellaris will be stellar by this time next year. I don't regret my purchase by any stretch and I'm honestly not stupidly disappointed. It feels like a Paradox launch title -- good, but it needs more. Just like CK2 was at launch.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I only have two hours in Stellaris because I think it's boring and I definitely regret my purchase yeah

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

YF-23 posted:

I have 70 hours in Stellaris. Since hours played is a metric of whether my opinion should matter and that's about equal to yours, let me go ahead and tell you: before Stellaris was released, I was expecting a good game. What I got was an enjoyable experience so far, and one that I believe was worth the money spent. What I didn't get was a good game.

Come back at hour 100 or something, when your opinion will definitely outweigh mine!

You are right Something Awful Forums user YF-23. Stellaris is, in fact, a horrible game. I've seen the light - there is only room for one opinion in this world and everyone must abide by the same preferences and tastes.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You are right Something Awful Forums user YF-23. Stellaris is, in fact, a horrible game. I've seen the light - there is only room for one opinion in this world and everyone must abide by the same preferences and tastes.

You have a talent for bullshit and strawmen, you should go into politics or something

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

corn in the bible posted:

I only have two hours in Stellaris because I think it's boring and I definitely regret my purchase yeah

You can get a refund then, right?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Have you played a game with maximum empires, maximum advanced start AIs, and AI aggressiveness on high instead of the default galaxy generation settings? The defaults are kind of boring, just like in Civ 4 or most 4xs so that new players don't get squashed. It is much more fun with those settings turned up.

It stops being boring for quite a while. There's still a lack of content in the mid-game but you don't spend ten hours expanding freely through an entire swathe of the galaxy because the AI can't keep up with colonizing like you do when the galaxy is not crowded.

Stellaris is not an amazing game right now but the framework that Paradox has built in this game is amazing. There's so much potential in the scripting to make really interesting poo poo happen. I just kind of wish they had hired a few extra people to write and code events and mechanics to actually take advantage of it.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Enjoy posted:

You have a talent for bullshit and strawmen, you should go into politics or something

I already hold a public office, thanks.

Do you guys spend dozens of hours playing a game you hate and aren't having fun with? Do you sit down and saw "hum, I'm not wowed yet but maybe I just need to get into this..." then 70 hours later you decide that no, you're still not that interested.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What is wrong with you? What do you have against paradox?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Is stellaris better then galciviii of star drive?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I already hold a public office, thanks.

Do you guys spend dozens of hours playing a game you hate and aren't having fun with? Do you sit down and saw "hum, I'm not wowed yet but maybe I just need to get into this..." then 70 hours later you decide that no, you're still not that interested.

Maybe if you read what the guy wrote instead of what you thought he wrote you'd know the answer to that

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Crowsbeak posted:

Is stellaris better then galciviii of star drive?

Definitely better than Stardrive. Can't speak for Gal Civ.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Enjoy posted:

Maybe if you read what the guy wrote instead of what you thought he wrote you'd know the answer to that

So, yes? I guess that explains the threads that go hundreds of pages with the same 6 people saying over and over again about how much they hate the game.

Chances are, if you put tens or hundreds of hours of play time into a game then you like something about it, not a hard connection to make. If you put 50, 60, 100 hours into a game but can't stop telling people about how bad it is and how disappointed you are, then you probably have a problem.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Definitely better than Stardrive. Can't speak for Gal Civ.
Galciviii is rather boring by the time you hit midgame.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

So, yes? I guess that explains the threads that go hundreds of pages with the same 6 people saying over and over again about how much they hate the game.

Chances are, if you put tens or hundreds of hours of play time into a game then you like something about it, not a hard connection to make. If you put 50, 60, 100 hours into a game but can't stop telling people about how bad it is and how disappointed you are, then you probably have a problem.

He said it's been enjoyable experience worth the money. I hope you get fired or voted out or whatever, you lying poo poo

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Enjoy posted:

He said it's been enjoyable experience worth the money. I hope you get fired or voted out or whatever, you lying poo poo

He'd said that I equated the number of hours spent playing a game is what made an opinion valid. What I was stating is that I had spent a lot of time playing those games, time that I had enjoyed because tha games we fun (a hallmark of a good game) and wouldn't have put in if the games were terrible or not fun to play.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Are you familiar with the concept of sarcasm for humorous effect?

Perhaps even jokes?

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
Speaker of the House of Representatives Paul Ryan please stop

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
By the by, I have seen the France leaving the Maginot line thing mentioned a lot, but I haven't seen the stream in question. However, I asked Podcat about it and he said France was having a civil war at the time so it seemed like they had bigger issues than manning the border.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

By the by, I have seen the France leaving the Maginot line thing mentioned a lot, but I haven't seen the stream in question. However, I asked Podcat about it and he said France was having a civil war at the time so it seemed like they had bigger issues than manning the border.

Yeah nobody seems to have mentioned the full on civil war with Communist France occupying 1/4 of the country.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Civil war or not, the ai should at least leave a token force at the border.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Riso posted:

It did.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Riso posted:

Lose the country now or later. The AI seems to think it was a better idea to save it now.

Also CITB, Duncan Jax sucks and so does his monkey friend.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

What is wrong with you? What do you have against paradox?

I love most of their other games! Should have just remembered that you shouldn't preorder games regardless of who makes them. They can never meet your expectations.

Maybe it's more fun in multiplayer though, I can totally see that being true.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 5, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Not that you didn't arrive at the right conclusion but I don't really get how you found it boring in just 2 hours, the early game is the part of it that has actual content, and before you run into any of the balance issues or anything.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Well, it just didn't seem to have anything to really define it against other space 4xes. Yeah, Distant Worlds is the obvious one, but there's plenty of others as well. I found I was doing the same things I've done before in a bunch of other games like this.

If you have fun with it then I'm super happy for you. If I hadn't already played lots of space games I probably would have too.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lose the country now or later. The AI seems to think it was a better idea to save it now.

Also CITB, Duncan Jax sucks and so does his monkey friend.

Yes he does. but to be fair, I did not tell you to watch it.

That tagline, however, is still really great. MOVE OVER JAMES BOND

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yes he does. but to be fair, I did not tell you to watch it.

That tagline, however, is still really great. MOVE OVER JAMES BOND

At least Double 007 was funny. This is just bad.

And because I'm getting off-topic. Can't wait for the Wolfenstein portraits to be modded into HOI4