Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And the anime series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

I can't remember zero mission other than it was a remake of metroid 1. Can you guys elaborate on what made it great?

From what I remember, Zero Mission was designed with low percent runs and speedrunning in mind, hence the bevy of shortcuts and tricks you can do, not to mention the incredibly tight controls.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakamoto let the team get all the good design ideas out their system in one game, then never looked back.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zero Mission essentially perfected 2D Metroid gameplay, and then they went and never did anything further with it since :saddowns:

I really would have loved a completely original Metroid game using Zero Mission's mechanics.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Zero Mission essentially perfected 2D Metroid gameplay, and then they went and never did anything further with it since :saddowns:

I really would have loved a completely original Metroid game using Zero Mission's mechanics.

Metroid Fusion?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Metroid Fusion?

Fusion predates Zero Mission by two years. :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Fusion predates Zero Mission by two years. :v:

And it was a completely original Metroid game that had the same mechanics as Zero Mission!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That's not the same and you drat well know it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's also, good.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
One of the main things with fusion is that you can't do infinite wall jumps like you can in ZM

Also ZM just kinda handles a bit tighter in general

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Fusion feels a little bit more slippery and floaty. You can't infinitely wall jump off of one while and you can't infinite bomb jump either. Zero Mission is designed to be more accommodating towards sequence breaking and speed running. Fusion is, well, not. You can speed run Fusion but it tends to throw a fit if you try to sequence break at all.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, Fusion is very on-rails and there's little to no sequence breaking. The controls are somewhere halfway between Super's janky, floaty, broken poo poo and Zero Mission's super snappy controls.

They're both fun for different reasons but I liked Zero Mission more. And Fusion was also a 3DS Ambassador game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

And it was a completely original Metroid game that had the same mechanics as Zero Mission!

No, different mechanics. Just cause it looks the same doesn't mean it plays the same. ZM handles completely differently from Fusion (i.e. much better).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bongo Bill posted:

It's also, good.

I'm not saying Fusion is bad by any means, but it doesn't have precisely the same mechanics or tightness as Zero Mission did. And of course, Zero Mission, not Fusion, was the last 2D Metroid which is what I'm lamenting. So I don't think I'm wrong here.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
TBF Fusion is good, just not AS good as Zero Mission

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

HenryEx posted:

TBF Fusion is good, just not AS good as Zero Mission

yep

I also think that the "Metroid mechanics but in a human-built station instead of alien ruins/wilderness" thing it had going is something that would also be worth revisiting in a future game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You're in luck, it was revisited in a future game!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You're in luck, it was revisited in a future game!

Not with anything close to good mechanics though :saddowns:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Was that game super bad or something? I haven't played a metroid since super metroid but I remember some butt hurtness when that game came out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes it was amazing bad and also ruined Samus' character by actually trying to give her some instead of 'space badass'.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Social Animal posted:

Was that game super bad or something? I haven't played a metroid since super metroid but I remember some butt hurtness when that game came out.

The game was mechanically boring and easy, and the writing was so atrociously bad that it was offensive. I'm not even that big of a Metroid fan, and I was appalled at how the script completely butchered Samus Aran's character.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes it was amazing bad and also ruined Samus' character by actually trying to give her some instead of 'space badass'.

It's not bad that the game tried to flesh out Samus's character. It's that the character the game was trying to give Samus was bad.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 5, 2016

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Social Animal posted:

the mechanics are actually kinda lame especially having to use the wiimote sideways and then having to turn it and point it at the screen to use missles.

will we ever get a game that continues the story where we left off in fusion

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a bit impressive how many different ways Other M was bad.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm glad this isn't the WiiU thread, because if it was, the Other M talk would only end after four heated pages and probably several probations.

Anyway,

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a bit impressive how many different ways Other M was bad.
Really? I think most of its problems can be traced back to two things: the controls are bad, and the story is bad. Because of their stubborn decision to use the sideways wiimote, none of the combat encounters really live up to their potential. Because there weren't enough buttons, the dodge is almost automatic, which just ruins any tension the combat might have had, as does the weird-rear end missile controls. And while this annoyance is happening, the story then sucks out the rest of the enjoyment you might have had. I would love to play the Better Version of the game where it's on a proper controller and encounters are rebalanced a bit, because I love everything about how the combat looks, and a lot of the level/area designs as well. Oh, and give me a cutscene skip too, please (or did that already exist?).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Katsuma posted:

It's not bad that the game tried to flesh out Samus's character. It's that the character the game was trying to give Samus was bad.

Yeah. Fusion fleshes out Samus' character just fine without making it garbage, for example.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

As I understand it Other M does not match up with the events mentioned in Fusion, either.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Zereth posted:

As I understand it Other M does not match up with the events mentioned in Fusion, either.

It doesn't. Other M almost exists in its own continuity, since it not only conflicts with the Prime Trilogy but it also conflicts with Adam's characterization in Fusion as well as the overall plot of Fusion (one of the plot twists in Fusion should not come as a surprise to Samus if Other M happened beforehand). People try to argue that Other M Samus is based off the Metroid manga, but no, the game conflicts with that too since Samus goes from being a PTSD kid to being a badass who overcomes Ridley and her demons in the manga. Other M throws all that in the garbage to have a story about how weak Samus is and how she needs emotionally abusive men to control her and how Ridley still turns her into a crying child and another man needs to save her from Ridley.

To say nothing of the gameplay, which is mostly featureless corridors, awkward controls, a lack of fun power ups and only missiles to collect and running around in a volcano and burning to death until Adam authorizes the use of the Varia Suit, which protects Samus from environmental hazards because he's a sadistic bastard that Samus idolizes.

If Nintendo had any sense, they'd retcon Other M entirely.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well they retconned the entire series, by killing it

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I was reading about Other M on the Metroid wiki earlier today. They made specific mention that Team Ninja had nothing to do with the creativity and were only working under Sakamoto's orders. They followed it with saying Sakamoto refused to apologize for any of it. Was it that bad that it gets treated like leprosy?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PSWII60 posted:

I was reading about Other M on the Metroid wiki earlier today. They made specific mention that Team Ninja had nothing to do with the creativity and were only working under Sakamoto's orders. They followed it with saying Sakamoto refused to apologize for any of it. Was it that bad that it gets treated like leprosy?

Not only is the story really stupid (like, REALLY stupid) and butchers Samus' character, the game itself isn't even fun.

Oh yeah and Sakamoto declared that the Prime series was non-canon so he could push Other M as the official story.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 5, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PSWII60 posted:

They made the entire game control by holding the Wiimote sideways, you know a control scheme that gives you about as many options as a NES controller. That was Sakamoto's idea and Team Ninja tried to talk him out of it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Alabaster White posted:

Oh yeah and Sakamoto declared that the Prime series was non-canon so he could push Other M as the official story.

Prime is now the only canon. Never played 3 for more than an hour so this declaration could be a mistake, but not nearly on the level of M:OM. :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Well they retconned the entire series, by killing it
I almost want Samus to show up in Federation Force, only to be immediately eaten by Ridley Kirbey style.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Prime is now the only canon. Never played 3 for more than an hour so this declaration could be a mistake, but not nearly on the level of M:OM. :v:

Prime 3 is actually quite good, but it may be a bit too easy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, 3 isn't as good as the first two but it's still a great game, at least once you get past the wordy start.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

3 is worth playing just to see skytown

still thought it was breathtaking even in 2011 when I played it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

voltcatfish posted:

3 is worth playing just to see skytown

still thought it was breathtaking even in 2011 when I played it

Skytown is amazing and is probably the best chunk of the game, but I really enjoyed (late game spoiler) The Pirate world - it had some great atmosphere and it was cool to finally see it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, 3 isn't as good as the first two but it's still a great game, at least once you get past the wordy start.

I'd rank 3 as better than 2.

Prime 2 was an obvious rush job, so ideas like light and dark beams needing ammo weren't fleshed out, switching between light/dark worlds was more of a pain than rewarding exploration, and the world map being split into three self-contained areas that barely have any connections to the other areas was a poor showing after Prime 1's excellent map design. The game was harder than it really needed to be, and spiked at odd points (who expected the Spider Ball boss to be that hard going in?) which made the whole experience feel unrefined, like it's the first pass and they needed another three or four months of tweaking the game to really smooth out it's issues.

Prime 3, dumbass story cutscenes with a still mute Samus aside, was a much, much tighter game, with smooth exploration and better upgrades to both Samus and her ship. Still not as good as Prime 1, again they split up the world but at least this time they're different planets so there's some justification there, but it's a much better game than 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, I love 2's oppressive suffocating atmosphere and difficulty and it has the best bosses in the series.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The only truly bad thing about 2 is that the artifact hunt right at the end killed the pacing and you couldn't do it ahead of time like in 1.