Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Asimo posted:

Speaking as a crippled scrub who's usually teamed with similar incompetents it is most definitely true. Rationally I know it's not hard to deal with, but a half-competent Bastion or multiple Toblerones can completely shut down low-skill teams and basically make it impossible to push or fight back. Even a Reinhardt doesn't help much since his shield drops in, what, two or three seconds of sustained fire ans you have to somehow get your teammates to use that short window to kill them. And of course once you do the enemy Mercy just resses them all...

Granted a decent Widow is like a thousand times worse at that skill level, but it takes a really competent player and you run into one of those way less often.

I played against 2 very good defense Widows yesterday on Gibraltar and it was incredibly frustrating. There are a ton of long range places they can hide on that map, and they were likely conversing through microphone as they would double team every enemy. Overall had a good time since we were very evenly matched with their team on other maps, but man was that annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Complaining about Torbs sounds like people saying widow is weak because they haven't been terrorized yet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Torb is not really OP, he's just boring to play against, since any where from 30-100% of his damage is handled by the server. TeamFortress put the Engineer class in way back in the day so people on dial-up could help their team without having to aim. It's weird to see that class endure today.

The other thing about Torb is that, like I said, his counter is obviously a sniper, and I have never in my life been good at the role of a sniper, aside from a couple months in QuakeTF during high school when I was hyped up on Ritalin. So, I always avoid sniper classes at any cost.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just ran into a lvl 127. :psyduck:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

She was nerfed in the beta because she gave 50 shields which made heroes like Tracer way too strong
That's not really "overtuned" but instead just having one problem skill that needs number tweaking.

Vermain posted:

In fairness, Bastion does have a major design issue where he's an unstoppable monster against relatively inexperienced players and a pile of garbage most of the time against experienced ones. The only time since after about 10~ hours of playing where a Bastion has been a problem is on poorly designed maps like Hanamura/Anubis.

This isn't an issue, it's intended. Bastion lets inexperienced players actually get kills and feel impactful in a game even if all they can do is flail the mouse around and left click. It's also supposed to serve as a handy tutorial for people who aren't used to games that require Overwatch's level of communication by shouting "co-ordinate with your team or this guy is a roadblock!" at the enemy team but because dunning-kruger goon buzzwords most players blame the game instead of themselves so this isn't really accomplished.

Torbjorn also accomplishes the latter but the former is "provides drunk as hell players a way to half-play the game and still have fun" instead of what I said about inexperienced players.

Craptacular! posted:

Torb is not really OP, he's just boring to play against, since any where from 30-100% of his damage is handled by the server. TeamFortress put the Engineer class in way back in the day so people on dial-up could help their team without having to aim. It's weird to see that class endure today.

The other thing about Torb is that, like I said, his counter is obviously a sniper, and I have never in my life been good at the role of a sniper, aside from a couple months in QuakeTF during high school when I was hyped up on Ritalin. So, I always avoid sniper classes at any cost.
Even if I was completely adverse to the "sniper class" I'd still realize that all I had to do to shut down this one guy was shoot powerful bullets at his completely stationary and out of range/distracted machines for a few minutes until he rageswitches and then go play something else.

I could also play Junkrat and have fun while shooting the turrets.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lady Naga posted:

Even if I was completely adverse to the "sniper class" I'd still realize that all I had to do to shut down this one guy was shoot powerful bullets at his completely stationary and out of range/distracted machines for a few minutes until he rageswitches and then go play something else.

I could also play Junkrat and have fun while shooting the turrets.
I usually either use Genji or Zenyatta. Both can hit a long ways away, and the discord orb on Bastion makes him incredibly fragile.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Craptacular! posted:

I usually either use Genji or Zenyatta. Both can hit a long ways away, and the discord orb on Bastion makes him incredibly fragile.

I'm a dirty assault player so I generally go Reaper and bask in the abject confusion that their stupid-rear end Mercy/Reinhardt/Bastion combo is completely shut down by one person with shotguns.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Except that this game gives you multiple counters against them that aren't snipers. Genji owns the poo poo out of bastion. Torb's turrets are an especially easy target for Rein's fire strike. Junkrat can just bombard an area from outside line of sight. Mei can stick a wall in their face to let you flank their position. Etc etc etc

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

76 does a solid job with shutting torb down. some peck damage is no big deal when you can just heal up, the rockets help burst down the turret, and torb himself is an easy target and the only thing you really need to worry about is rivet heashots.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I don't even switch classes for Torb, Tracer is perfectly capable of dealing with both him and his guns provided they're shooting at someone else.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Just ran into a lvl 127. :psyduck:

I thought it looped back around after 100

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

KicksYouInHalf posted:

I thought it looped back around after 100

yup, 27 with different colour frame and the star under it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Hanzo can get free oneshots every 11 seconds, sparing him from D.Va tier. For now.

What's the trick to pulling off the 'one hit' scatter arrow? Every Hanzo that fires one at me seems to kill me with it, but when I try to use it either misses completely or does barely any damage.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vermain posted:

In fairness, Bastion does have a major design issue where he's an unstoppable monster against relatively inexperienced players and a pile of garbage most of the time against experienced ones. The only time since after about 10~ hours of playing where a Bastion has been a problem is on poorly designed maps like Hanamura/Anubis.

Anubis is actually an excellent map and one of my favourites whenever it comes up. Can't really argue about Hanamura, though, that B point is just pain incarnate.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Got into a game last night where we were on defense. Wasn't too happy about it since we had 3 torbs and 0 healers. Then they seemed to realize I was playing Reinhardt so they stacked all their turrets in a corner and I just stood there blocking everything while those fuckers tore up anyone who dared come near the point. The enemy team only figured out a counter with like 30 seconds left and they finally realized they should just grab Pharah and Junkrats and lob explosives at me.

I love when things click.

FrozenMeats
Apr 28, 2003

Preserved for the ages.

Back Hack posted:

What's the trick to pulling off the 'one hit' scatter arrow? Every Hanzo that fires one at me seems to kill me with it, but when I try to use it either misses completely or does barely any damage.

To quote Hanzo, it's simple geometry.

The spread comes off at the proper reflective angle versus whatever it hits, so if you shoot at the floor or wall slightly forward of your target they take the full spread and die. The rest of the time if you're just blind firing a hallway or something it's just luck.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Starla posted:

How do I do this?

The inhouse thread
The inhouse discord server

They're a lot of fun, come try it out!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So we tried a custom 6v6 game with high bandwidth mode (60 tick) and it was buggy as hell. My money is on them trying to fix that now asap and they roll it out when it's actually working with a triumphant message "we listened!"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Papercut posted:

Except that this game gives you multiple counters against them that aren't snipers. Genji owns the poo poo out of bastion. Torb's turrets are an especially easy target for Rein's fire strike. Junkrat can just bombard an area from outside line of sight. Mei can stick a wall in their face to let you flank their position. Etc etc etc

everyone knows the counters against Torb and Bastion. Everyone should be able to reliably handle Bastion and Torb; they are easy to one-hit KO with the right person. The problem is when either one of them get stacked x2 and the game turns into an boring loving "stack this versus stacked that" on every Defense map.

I guess you could also say some of the maps are just poo poo for Attackers to try and flank but ymmv in terms of which ones.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not trolling. There's some people where every game you play they do Bastion and at least one Torbjorn on defense every time.

I find Torbjorn more annoying on concept because you're basically fighting the server, not a player's aim. But then again, Bastion has more ability, so...

Edit: I guess it's worth mentioning that in twenty years of playing FPS I've never been good at sniping at all so I avoid sniper classes completely. TeamFortress seems to have the people who play Sniper for a living, while Overwatch seems to have people like me who avoid it at most costs and get frustrated at the missing puzzle piece.

If you are having issues with the static defense pieces and don't want to venture into the Sniper archetype, then Pharah and Genji both do very well against Torbjorn and Bastion.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I find torbjorns turrets kills me as genji more than anything else because you are doing some sweet acrobatics against the plebes you are facing and from across the map this plinking aimbot just gets the last 70 hp or whatever you had, and your deflect is poo poo against it because its hp is too high for its poor dps.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

everyone knows the counters against Torb and Bastion. Everyone should be able to reliably handle Bastion and Torb; they are easy to one-hit KO with the right person. The problem is when either one of them get stacked x2 and the game turns into an boring loving "stack this versus stacked that" on every Defense map.

I guess you could also say some of the maps are just poo poo for Attackers to try and flank but ymmv in terms of which ones.

I'm not sure any map has a hard to flank point A but a lot of point B's are definitely known for being conducive to entrenching, which I feel like is by design.

At that point an organized multi-ult push with coordinated harass can still probably manage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Vermain posted:

In fairness, Bastion does have a major design issue where he's an unstoppable monster against relatively inexperienced players

MinibarMatchman posted:

everyone knows the counters against Torb and Bastion. Everyone should be able to reliably handle Bastion and Torb; they are easy to one-hit KO with the right person.

This is the other problem with Bastion. He may be easy to beat for some people but unless your entire team has learned how to do it, he's still going to make your life hell by demanding a lot of attention while fighting short-handed. I'd rather see Bastion removed than anything because he just takes that "one bad player can bring down the team" aspect of Overwatch and cranks it up to a billion.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Countblanc posted:

i'm the same way with the mercy devil skin I got. I actually hate all the legendary mercy skins. i'll probably buy the cobalt epic one soon because im tired of the stupid devil tail

I just got the devil mercy skin and it's all your fault

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

This is the other problem with Bastion. He may be easy to beat for some people but unless your entire team has learned how to do it, he's still going to make your life hell by demanding a lot of attention while fighting short-handed. I'd rather see Bastion removed than anything because he just takes that "one bad player can bring down the team" aspect of Overwatch and cranks it up to a billion.

they're never going to just remove a character from the game. an easy way to remedy turret poo poo is to just ease up the damage falloff from certain distance, and limit stacking to like 2 per team. I'm not counting on either to happen in quickmatch.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Mercy and Pharah are the two where I wouldn't mind any legendary skin, so :shrug:

I want one of the Deadmau5 skins for Lucio for DAT BOI dank memes, but I really don't care much for any of them, same with Soldier and maybe Daredevil (?). I got the best color for Soldier on my first box tho (Smoke).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm not really crazy about any of the Mercy skins but I do like just her plain old recolors, especially violet and cobalt.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I want a roadhog vaudeville skin where the hook is one of those canes that pulled people off stage

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Countblanc posted:

I want a roadhog vaudeville skin where the hook is one of those canes that pulled people off stage

[in Roadhog voice]: Your dodging skills aren't half bad. They're all bad!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That is like saying tf2 needed to nerf engineer sentry nests because of <exact same reasons>. Those are harder to crack and you have less options to do so than in overwatch, and even in tf2 pubs were able to deal with it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I lowered the value of my mouse the other night in this game and it felt Like cheating. I always thought it was better to have a super fast cursor in games like this, but after reading some things on the Internet saying I was wrong I gave it a shot! So, that being said, are there any other settings I can mess with in the game that'll give me a better experience? I think, for instance, I read somewhere about a streamer who plays with the graphics on "low" because I guess it somehow makes him more effective?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Turning the graphic settings down increases your potential fps and may remove superfluous textures and minor objects. The game also still looks great on low settings so give it a shot and see if you like it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There are the every once in a while game where your team is just so poo poo that they can't get past the first choke point, but on average bastions and torbs have not presented some insurmountable defense since the first couple days of release, at least in my games.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I lowered the value of my mouse the other night in this game and it felt Like cheating. I always thought it was better to have a super fast cursor in games like this, but after reading some things on the Internet saying I was wrong I gave it a shot! So, that being said, are there any other settings I can mess with in the game that'll give me a better experience? I think, for instance, I read somewhere about a streamer who plays with the graphics on "low" because I guess it somehow makes him more effective?

Seagull plays with all of his settings low to maximize his fps, there's no other special reason for it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lower graphics settings = smoother performance.

Check the control options for each hero. Some of them have useful stuff that's off by default, like allied health bars for Soldier: 76 and Zarya, and toggles for Reinhardt's barrier, Widowmaker's sniper scope, and Mercy's magic stick. Mercy also gets an option to not make Guardian Angel prioritize your current beam target, which gives it a lot more flexibility. Some people also like to put things like Pharah's concussion shot or Zenyatta's discord orb on the right mouse button instead of E.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 5, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

That is like saying tf2 needed to nerf engineer sentry nests because of <exact same reasons>. Those are harder to crack and you have less options to do so than in overwatch, and even in tf2 pubs were able to deal with it.

They should have. Sentry nests were garbage. The skill check on "assemble a team, build uber, everyone move in, cover the flanks to give the guy with charge enough time to break the nest, then get to the point" is infinitely more demanding than "one guy left-clicks for a little bit in a corner." All that asymmetry for the net effect of "fewer things happen" and "let's give the clinically dead a class they can play" is a lovely trade.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, it kinda hurts when you make it all the way to last point Route 66 or something and you lose to a turret fortress and a sniper. :smith:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They should have. Sentry nests were garbage. The skill check on "assemble a team, build uber, everyone move in, cover the flanks to give the guy with charge enough time to break the nest, then get to the point" is infinitely more demanding than "one guy left-clicks for a little bit in a corner." All that asymmetry for the net effect of "fewer things happen" and "let's give the clinically dead a class they can play" is a lovely trade.

That's a rude thing to say about a class that had the ability to boost your sniper to places they couldn't get to.

Speaking of which I haven't seen enough applications of Mei boosting. After 200+ games I finally saw a mei use her ice wall to get over the gap on Lijiang's outdoors tower map.

Also realistically I wouldn't mind if they made torbjorn's turret weaker and grant less ult while making torbjorn himself stronger. The rivet gun is really fun to use and a legit powerful weapon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, that's how Bastion gets you, a good enough tank to protect him, a good enough sniper to make you scared and another turret to distract you, on a narrow-ish chokepoint.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blizzard needs to nerf good teams of players that work well together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yes, I realize that you can walk through the shield, I was talking about a Reinhardt wedged into a corner.

no I mean if you've on the other side of the shield but like right next to reinhardt, your gun clips through and you can shoot him. he doesn't have to be in a corner, that's just because d.va is slow as poo poo while shooting normally. it's just a really stupid idea most of the time