Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So is there a male equivalent to the Lodge or is there something particularly magical about lady mages?

There used to be the Brotherhood of Sorcerers, which was coed. Then some coup happened and some politics stuff then the female only Lodge was created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ixrWSUJYFk

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ciaphas posted:

Um, so, regarding the Bloody Baron, end of his quest line I think

Anna's dead, and he's hanged himself. It's been too many gameplay hours to go back and change things, but how would they have turned out if I had killed the heart under the hill instead of saving it?

For that matter why the hell did I play the hero with that heart druid thing argh i'm so dumb

Frankly, of the two, you got the happier outcome, I think.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

As far as I know the dodge doesn't have invincibility if you use it immediately after an attack, sign, bomb throw or another dodge. Also certain attacks like a golem's AOE slam and a griffin's wing charge ignore iframes. During those times and only if you dodge forward fleet foot will give you damage reduction up to taking half damage at max level. It's bad.

Half damage? But the tooltip says "Damage from hits received while dodging is reduced by 100%"?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Moose-Alini posted:

I think the tech level problem is the old fantasy thing of, if you can fly through space and fight and go through dimensions with magic, there isn't much need for technological advancement.
This is consistent with historical evidence that humans will reach for what is most obvious and accessible to them to progress because short-term thinking is just a reality for us. Because magic was found early on in the witcher and in our world that we have zero goddamn magic here, we take thousands of years to build up technologies leading to cat picture worship while in the witcher world magic is something inaccessible due to biology mostly and continued political instability prevents a lot of scientific progress compared to magical ones. Sapkowski has made more than a few digs at elitism like what we see with magic being of no benefit to people in the world at large while magic users live lavish lives.

There's a character-based observation made in the books that didn't show up in the games that because elves live so long the species is not so focused upon sex biologically and culturally due to getting bored with sex and procreation, and aggression decreases as the desire for territory decreases in turn. Interesting enough, in the process of elves becoming so bored with elven sexuality, elven females became captivated by human males, such as the case of Lara Dorren, and more half-human, half-elf children were created than pure-blooded elves. There's obvious parallels to miscegenation and interracial relationships, but it's covered in more detail in the books than in the games.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well, presumably they had become so reliant on magic to sustain themselves that they no longer knew how to do things like till and plow?
The books actually had a revelation about what happened in the world of the Aen Elle, it turns out that elves in that world enslaved humans for manual labor. There are several references to how the Aen Elle of their world and the humans of our world are not that different on the fundamental basis of species-based arrogance that is the centrality of the never-ending conflict.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Azazell0 posted:

I almost quit the Wine wars questline because half the problems were due to Archespore infestations. Those plants can go f*k themselves, it's just no fun fighting them.

Superior golden oriole trivialized them for me, but it was annoying how many I had to drink.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait, so HUMANS are the immigrants?

Huh I guess that explains why there're so many elven ruins that our cities are built on, but how on earth could we have possibly managed to destroy a civilization as advanced as the elves?

And for that matter, if these otherworlders are so sophisticated, how come they's still usin' swords and arrows and stuff?

AFAIK elves are long-ago dimension/planet hopping colonists, and technologically advanced humans arrived sometime around/during/just before the conjunction. Genetic engineering was possible for the first generation of humans in the world.

My personal theory is that the Witcher world is a colony collapse scenario. The humans were likely running from something, perhaps the conjunction. They arrived as technologically advanced refugees. Some elven nations took them in and some fought them, and the conjunction disaster happened. The humans didn't have the resources of their home civilization and the disaster reduced them to medieval subsistence level, but some science knowledge has survived.

Over the long run humans out-competed the slow breeding elves and pushed them into marginal territory through war.

One interesting implication of human-elf interfertility and human ancient gene tech is that elves may be an offshoot race. Again, my personal theory is that elves are a transhuman sub-species developed for an ancient wave of colonization from wherever humans originated. That explains why they're fertile with stock humans and also why they're basically Better Humans.

This also explains why elves are distributed across at least two planets/dimensions and why they retain space/dimensions travel abilities.

Dwarves and gnomes are a bit more of a mystery. They certainly pre date elves in the world and claim to be the original inhabitants. However I think they are an even older colonist wave.

My money is on the reptilian Dran as the original sapient inhabitants. The humanoids all probably share one origin in the distant past. Repeated migration fleeing disaster and repeating the drama of persecution with new players is certainly a theme of the games and of Polish history.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's also the issue that while elves are exceptionally long lived, they don't remain fertile to reproduce. Most of the young elves died at sherawedd, dooming the species in the long run.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
So does Blood and Wine give new skill slots or a way to spend your skill points? I'm going through HoS now and have like 7 unspent points...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So basically the world of Witcher is just where every interdimensionally displaced species seems to ultimately end up. Okay then.

So in the village of Erde I've checked the hidden basement and the corpses of teh couple, but there's no key to the locked door inside their hut. Is there any way to get in there?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Carwash posted:

So does Blood and Wine give new skill slots or a way to spend your skill points? I'm going through HoS now and have like 7 unspent points...

Yea. Mutations and up to 4 more skill slots. You get the quest to unlock Mutations after a few intro quests in Blood and Wine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Both the Aen Seidhe and Aen Elle used to be the same race, Aen Undod.

Humans managed to beat the elves because the elves didn't understand agriculture (which doesn't make much sense, but that's the explanation given) and a higher birthrate.

I believe elves were engineered and acculturated to be more environmentally friendly, adaptable colonists. They didn't need intensive agriculture because they are designed to take loving forever to reach carrying capacity. However, that mode of life implies huge virgin territories, and we know the world wasn't empty when the elves arrived.

Elven stories about how everything was great and peaceful before humans should be taken with a Slavic helping of salt. The elves certainly indulged in war against the natives and monumental architecture. The dwarves and gnomes and Vran all lived in fortified settlements in the hills and mountains, before humans appeared. Why do you think that is?

Basically the elves are full of nationalist poo poo like everyone else. It's a theme of the series. They may have kept extensive nature reserves and had low birth rates, but you don't build huge gently caress off bridges and castles if you're peaceful hunter gatherers. We've seen they're perfectly capable of invading a world and terrorizing the inhabitants with their superior science/magic and physiques.

It's a theme of the series, victim and tormentor are interchangeable.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So in the village of Erde I've checked the hidden basement and the corpses of teh couple, but there's no key to the locked door inside their hut. Is there any way to get in there?

There's no mystery involved, people have no clipped into the room and there's nothing in there. It's just a locked door you can't open like you find all over the place.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I really tried to get into this game but the menu lag on PS4 was unbearable for me. It's probably not too bad for most people but I dreaded doing anything that involved looming at those screens. Felt like it took forever just to get to the map or get to the vendor screen

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

I believe elves were engineered and acculturated to be more environmentally friendly, adaptable colonists. They didn't need intensive agriculture because they are designed to take loving forever to reach carrying capacity. However, that mode of life implies huge virgin territories, and we know the world wasn't empty when the elves arrived.

Elven stories about how everything was great and peaceful before humans should be taken with a Slavic helping of salt. The elves certainly indulged in war against the natives and monumental architecture. The dwarves and gnomes and Vran all lived in fortified settlements in the hills and mountains, before humans appeared. Why do you think that is?

Basically the elves are full of nationalist poo poo like everyone else. It's a theme of the series. They may have kept extensive nature reserves and had low birth rates, but you don't build huge gently caress off bridges and castles if you're peaceful hunter gatherers. We've seen they're perfectly capable of invading a world and terrorizing the inhabitants with their superior science/magic and physiques.

It's a theme of the series, victim and tormentor are interchangeable.

You can come up with good reasons halflings or dwarves might also be transhuman genetically-engineered colonist species. Halflings are small, and would require less resources and space to support a large population. Dwarves are stout and robustly built, so they would fare better on a higher-gravity planet than humans or elves, for example.

Really I think it's a pretty good metaphor for human history. Constant migration of populations which replace and/or integrate the people that were there before, racism and exploitation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Man, I forgot how sad the Noonwraith of Novigrad is compared to the White Orchard one. The White Orchard one had her true love murdered and then was killed herself when she revealed the lord's son was gay. Depressing stuff.

The White Lady ran off and killed herself because she had an arranged marriage to an uggo with cash.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Really I think it's a pretty good metaphor for human history. Constant migration of populations which replace and/or integrate the people that were there before, racism and exploitation.

Especially eastern Europe, on the edge of the steppes, the womb of nations. You can see parallels in many colonization events but the Eurasian Steppes carry away the prize for endless violent migration.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Are there really just two paintings to be bought in the whole of Toussaint? Seems like an oversight.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I see that somebody on the Hearts of Stone team was a fan of Mad Max.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

Are there really just two paintings to be bought in the whole of Toussaint? Seems like an oversight.
You get some items that aren't paintings but still can be placed like one by completing certain sidequests.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Finished Hearts of Stone before going to the Isle of Mists in the main game. Holy poo poo that was some high quality stuff, though I have one question regarding a person: Who was the Oferi Prince and why did Olgeird curse him? He said it's because his beloved was married off to him but that isn't right (if he's talking about Iris). The events of the third wish made it clear that Iris never left the house, or so I thought.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Are there any good resources for late game builds, specifically related to Blood and Wine and NG+? I was steamrolling everything in the main game with light armor and Axii, but now I find myself actually, you know, dying, which is intolerable due to my impatience and the load times of this game.

Im basically looking to enjoy the game and chop off lots of heads and not worry too much about losing 15 minutes of progress because 10 worms or whatever decide to jump out of the ground and own me

Also this expansion owns and this game is probably the greatest RPG ever and CDPR are amazing

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Oxxidation posted:

You can hang up the painting of Heirarch Hemmelfart.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yo Comte, two Polish notices labeled [PL] [DEBUG] at the Gran'place signpost board. Also some of the new general skills say they increase damage or time or whatever by +$I$%. GOG versh.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Levantine posted:

Finished Hearts of Stone before going to the Isle of Mists in the main game. Holy poo poo that was some high quality stuff, though I have one question regarding a person: Who was the Oferi Prince and why did Olgeird curse him? He said it's because his beloved was married off to him but that isn't right (if he's talking about Iris). The events of the third wish made it clear that Iris never left the house, or so I thought.

The girl in question was notIris, but someone whose affections he was competing for with the Prince. Since Olgierd is a sore loser he casually cursed the Ofieri. This is more recent than the whole thing with Iris.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
Loving the new bandit camps

... diddle ...

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Wow, Blood and Wine is awesome. I was so sure Chekov's hairpin would come into play at the end there but I like the touching ending I got. Maybe if I choose different dialogue options... Awesome now I have to play it again and find out! When it was being promoted there was talk of something specific you had to do in the main quest (the Wild Hunt one) to get a secret ending. Does anyone know, without spoiling Blood and Wine, what you need to do in the main game to get it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

when I hang my new moon armor up on my armor stands the chestpiece doesn't appear :(

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

ZearothK posted:

The girl in question was notIris, but someone whose affections he was competing for with the Prince. Since Olgierd is a sore loser he casually cursed the Ofieri. This is more recent than the whole thing with Iris.

It was Iris. When O'Dimm tells you the story he says that Olgierd loved a girl named Iris, but she was betrothed to the Ofieri crown prince after the von Everec family lost their fortune. You can also find a love letter to her from Olgierd in the auction house stating that there's still a week until she'll be married and he'll think of something to get her out of it so they can be together. The prince was cursed and disappeared, and they were able to convince Iris' family to allow her to marry Olgierd after he made the pact with O'Dimm to regain his status.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I loved the Hanse fights in B&W. It's awfully satisfying to just cut your way through several dozen dudes at once and their dogs, too.

Also, the literal pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It was Iris. When O'Dimm tells you the story he says that Olgierd loved a girl named Iris, but she was betrothed to the Ofieri crown prince after the von Everec family lost their fortune. You can also find a love letter to her from Olgierd in the auction house stating that there's still a week until she'll be married and he'll think of something to get her out of it so they can be together. The prince was cursed and disappeared, and they were able to convince Iris' family to allow her to marry Olgierd after he made the pact with O'Dimm to regain his status.

I see, so The scene where the family reveals they paid his debt (during that dinner) takes place after the Prince was cursed? I just don't have a good sense of the timeline I guess, or how long he was even kicking around after making the deal with O'dimm.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Levantine posted:

I see, so The scene where the family reveals they paid his debt (during that dinner) takes place after the Prince was cursed? I just don't have a good sense of the timeline I guess, or how long he was even kicking around after making the deal with O'dimm.

From the journal: Once upon a time, Olgierd fell hopelessly in love with Iris, a beautiful young lady from a well-off family. Her parents accepted his proposal of marriage and all seemed set for a happy ending when a storm of misfortune suddenly broke over the von Everec family. A chain of bad decisions and a few years of bad harvests had left the once-wealthy family deeply in debt. Then the Borsodis purchased this debt and, with their brutal enforcement of its terms, drove the von Everecs into utter bankruptcy. After this, Iris’ parents changed their mind about their daughter’s future husband, revoking their approval of Olgierd and betrothing Iris to an Ofieri prince who had come to study in Oxenfurt. Out of desperation, Olgierd turned to Master Mirror – and soon won back his coin, influence and, most importantly, his betrothed. All seemed well until he discovered his wishes’ unwanted side effect: his heart was slowly hardening into stone.

So maybe her parents paying the debt off was down to O'Dimm's influence?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yo Comte, two Polish notices labeled [PL] [DEBUG] at the Gran'place signpost board. Also some of the new general skills say they increase damage or time or whatever by +$I$%. GOG versh.

This is a problem with the GOG installer, if you verify the cache it should fix it. If that doesn't work, reinstall. :P

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just finished crafting up all six pieces of the Griffin gear. How does this work with respect to level scaling, is it upgradable later or something or does the gear just become obsolete depending on when you picked up the recipes?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

I just finished crafting up all six pieces of the Griffin gear. How does this work with respect to level scaling, is it upgradable later or something or does the gear just become obsolete depending on when you picked up the recipes?

You can find diagrams to craft upgraded versions of the armor pieces (for most of the armor, the current piece is one of the required components for the next level of the same piece). Their required character level is fixed, so all you care about is crafting them as soon as you can wear them

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Has anyone experimented much with the Aard upgrade that freezes enemies? Good damage? OP as gently caress?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

You can hang up the painting of Heirarch Hemmelfart.

Huh. But you can't hang the picture of (HoS spoiler) Iris and Olgierd.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Turds in magma posted:

Has anyone experimented much with the Aard upgrade that freezes enemies? Good damage? OP as gently caress?

I finished the game shortly after getting it, but it was immeasurably handy dealing with late B&W bullshit

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Turds in magma posted:

I used it a lot, it's fantastic crowd control and gives some hilarious slo mo moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I accidentally stumbled upon a guy who wants to protect a silver basilisk named Iocaste. For some reason I didn't get it as a quest even though this clearly is one, and now I'm kinda unsure what to do. Can I get a quest update anywhere?