Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I just read that a recent update has broken a lot of the mods for PC, can anyone confirm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Yes I can confirm.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yep, having the launch option flag results in a perpetual login screen.

Denuvo is totally great you guys all games should have it! :thumbsup:

Edit:

It seems the patch broke mods and how mods are made, as well as made it more difficult to make mods in general. Some people are updating them, but due to the difficulty involved, JC3 modding is likely dead. loving hell.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 30, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Aw man. I haven't actually played this in a few weeks but I probably won't again if I can't have my 2km grapple.

I was mostly just blowing up bridges and putting C4 boosters on cars so I think I'm getting pretty bored of the game anyway :(

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The jet pack is a lot of fun and will give me incentive over the years to go back and just fly around, but my game has crashed more since installing it than it ever did before. The frame rate goes to poo poo if you are blowing up a bunch of stuff and boosting at the same time. It's still lots of fun, though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

nexus6 posted:

Aw man. I haven't actually played this in a few weeks but I probably won't again if I can't have my 2km grapple.

I was mostly just blowing up bridges and putting C4 boosters on cars so I think I'm getting pretty bored of the game anyway :(

Some modders have gone and updated their stuff to work with the new patch, so there's that at least.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm stuck on the "Of Cows and Wine" mission where you have to drive the 10 barrels of wine down to a party. The mission completes just fine, but afterwards, despite getting a "mission accomplished" popup, the game still things I am in a mission (e.g. I can cancel / restart / etc / if I go somewhere else and die it respawns me back at the truck, even if it's half an hour later after blowing up a bunch of poo poo). I never get the call from Sheldon afterwards either.

Any thoughts on stuff I can do that might work around this, or am I totally screwed and it's time to give up on the plot and just drive a helicopter around blowing things up? I hope there aren't any more unlockables or things I'll miss out on by the main missions being unplayable...

I've already tried liberating more outposts and doing other challenges and stuff so I'm kind of out of ideas.

Edit: Looks like some people had similar problems on different missions, so my searches were too specific. I can "maybe" get through it with resetting console, toggling online/offline repeatedly, restarting mission several times, etc. Ugh. I guess it's too much to hope that they will ever release another patch for their broken game.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 5, 2016

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
So nobody's mentioned it yet, but the Land DLC came out yesterday.

It's not bad. The mechs are fun to pilot and very destructive. But it's short. Given the lack of hype for it even being released, I feel like the DLC is just too little too late. I don't understand what's taking so long for such meager DLC to be released.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's bad and considering the point of the dlc is to mess around with physics on thousands of tiny objects they could've at least made sure the frame rate wouldn't chug or the console crash when there's thousands of tiny objects being physics'd

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

l33t b4c0n posted:

So nobody's mentioned it yet, but the Land DLC came out yesterday.

It's not bad. The mechs are fun to pilot and very destructive. But it's short. Given the lack of hype for it even being released, I feel like the DLC is just too little too late. I don't understand what's taking so long for such meager DLC to be released.

Maybe if they would have released a game that wasn't broken for a lot of people OR actually got around to fixing those issues, it would have had a longer lifespan.

Speaking of which, its still unoptimized for a lot of PCs, right?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

Maybe if they would have released a game that wasn't broken for a lot of people OR actually got around to fixing those issues, it would have had a longer lifespan.

Speaking of which, its still unoptimized for a lot of PCs, right?

The game ran fine at ~60fps for me (with a couple of the most top-end GPU-intensive features turned off) under Windows 7, but no matter how much I dial down the graphics options it is utterly unplayable under Windows 10. For reference, I have an Intel Core i5 4670k, 8GB of RAM and an MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G and it's installed on an SSD. This a hardware combo which at 1920x1080 and maximum graphical options enabled eats games like Witcher 3, GTAV, The Division and anything else I care to throw at it for breakfast.

Yeah, their game is borked. And I loving HATE the stupid online login poo poo. Five minutes of "logging in", a decent while of gameplay, then "logging in" for another five minutes the moment i open the map or the menu. They need to patch that poo poo out. Even blocking it at the firewall level just leads to constant "cannot connect to online blahblah" errors whenever you open the map or menu or whenever it feels like it.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 5, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I thought the sky dlc was reasonable but maybe mech is much shorter. Well I'll try to finish it. I initially bought the deluxe edition of jc3 on good faith of jc2 and because it'd be 15 dollars back on psn because of a promotion.

Sky dlc is more than worth it just because the utility of the jet pack is so massive. You can even take off from water!

Still optimistic about the water dlc but I think we had a feeling the land would be considered the worst anyway.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They would have to do something incredible to make "Sea" interesting. The water and reefs are beautiful, but also boring and completely pointless.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I just hate-beat the new DLC. It sucks so much, everything is optimized for being as unfun as possible. They even brought back the lovely drones from the sky DLC.
The only positive thing is that it is very short, takes about 2 hours to beat it. I just went to each location and fired off the M488 until everything was destroyed. Sometimes you need to "protect" the base you just liberated and that means standing in front of a door and shoot endlessly spawning enemies while you wait for a bar to fill up. It's like they just don't give a gently caress and are just making these DLCs for the people who got suckered into buying the season pass.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
They don't make it incredibly obvious but if you just get like 4 gears from the first mech challenge your mech goes from squishy as hell to basically unstoppable. I hated piloting the mech until I got those upgrades.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

the truth posted:

They would have to do something incredible to make "Sea" interesting. The water and reefs are beautiful, but also boring and completely pointless.

I think they said something about an underwater base and submarines.

I have a secret bones for submarines in games. It's never done enough.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

As short as the DLC's have been so far I generally enjoyed them and absolutely enjoyed the new stuff they brought to the game. It just makes me wish they had those things in the base game, because the Air DLC wingsuit basically changes the game at almost a fundamental level. The was little reason to be on the ground before, now it's basically "don't ever land for anything unless you absolutely have to". I really even only open the parachute to occasionally blast things with a launcher.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

foozwak posted:

As short as the DLC's have been so far I generally enjoyed them and absolutely enjoyed the new stuff they brought to the game. It just makes me wish they had those things in the base game, because the Air DLC wingsuit basically changes the game at almost a fundamental level. The was little reason to be on the ground before, now it's basically "don't ever land for anything unless you absolutely have to". I really even only open the parachute to occasionally blast things with a launcher.

I think my problem with the DLC is, as I said, it's too little too late. I have thought the additions brought with the DLC have been fun so far... but considering I beat the base game ages ago without any real challenge, I just feel like there's no real opportunities to actually have fun with the additional weapons and vehicles. Even if I reset outposts, it just seems pointless.

Maybe it's just me, but the difficulty compared to JC2 seems so much lower as well. If I get an absurdly destructive mech, I'd like to have enemies that send absurd amounts of poo poo at me to stop me, so I can have a chaotic battle. Instead it's like 3 jeeps that I can destroy with a single button.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I preordered this game and it worked fine for about 3 hours on launch day before loving up and turning into an unplayable slideshow so I uninstalled it and decided to wait for a fix. I reinstalled it yesterday and it actually runs even worse now. Is this game ever going to get fixed? Did the memory leaks ever get resolved even?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I can run Doom flawlessly on medium settings, decently on high, but with this game on all the lowest settings, vsync off, etc, I can grapple to a wall twenty meters in front of me and the game will move at one frame every 6-7 seconds until I finally reach the wall like two minutes after I push the key. What the hell lol

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
For some dumb reason, Sony hadn't set up the DLC correctly so I had to go to the Just Cause Twitter page to find a direct link to the early-release PSN listing of this DLC.

The DLC is kinda cool, but it's not game-changing like the jetpack is. And it's certainly not worth waiting the months since release. Its setting is a new small island cluster that didn't exist before, north of the main island, not really sure why it is there. Surely there's plenty of space they could have appropriated, or hell, they could have actually planned for it in advance, that'd be novel.

The mechs themselves are strong, and pretty mobile compared to, say, tanks (they can even jump!) but they're not exactly Gundam mechsuits. They're a bit underwhelming really. I imagine if you do the challenges, they can be faster and better and stronger, but I still don't imagine you'll be doing much with them unless you like long slow drives between destructible areas. If you want to be going anywhere, you're still better off skimming around and then just shooting everything with the biggest rocket launcher available.

The inbuilt "gravity gun" weapon the mechs have is really cool, and I'd love if this was an actual handheld weapon but unfortunately It's not. They instead added an energy/EMP cannon, which I guess takes out shields? I've only used it to open special doors which are designed only to be unlocked with an energy cannon. And it only carries like two shots. Not even a gun, really.

The physics are still broken, and slow the game down a lot when too many objects are trying to move at the same time, like when you're trying to use a giant walking gravity gun to throw scenery at a base full of enemies. The game does this already, and I normally forgive this and have fun with it, but the gravity gun thing is the core conceit of the DLC. And I don't know if it's the DLC or a different recent patch, but the initial logging-in load/wait times are now worse than they were at launch (on PS4 at least).

Do I bother finishing this DLC? Do I regret buying it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TheDarkFlame posted:

For some dumb reason, Sony hadn't set up the DLC correctly so I had to go to the Just Cause Twitter page to find a direct link to the early-release PSN listing of this DLC.

The DLC is kinda cool, but it's not game-changing like the jetpack is. And it's certainly not worth waiting the months since release. Its setting is a new small island cluster that didn't exist before, north of the main island, not really sure why it is there. Surely there's plenty of space they could have appropriated, or hell, they could have actually planned for it in advance, that'd be novel.

The mechs themselves are strong, and pretty mobile compared to, say, tanks (they can even jump!) but they're not exactly Gundam mechsuits. They're a bit underwhelming really. I imagine if you do the challenges, they can be faster and better and stronger, but I still don't imagine you'll be doing much with them unless you like long slow drives between destructible areas. If you want to be going anywhere, you're still better off skimming around and then just shooting everything with the biggest rocket launcher available.

The inbuilt "gravity gun" weapon the mechs have is really cool, and I'd love if this was an actual handheld weapon but unfortunately It's not. They instead added an energy/EMP cannon, which I guess takes out shields? I've only used it to open special doors which are designed only to be unlocked with an energy cannon. And it only carries like two shots. Not even a gun, really.

The physics are still broken, and slow the game down a lot when too many objects are trying to move at the same time, like when you're trying to use a giant walking gravity gun to throw scenery at a base full of enemies. The game does this already, and I normally forgive this and have fun with it, but the gravity gun thing is the core conceit of the DLC. And I don't know if it's the DLC or a different recent patch, but the initial logging-in load/wait times are now worse than they were at launch (on PS4 at least).

Do I bother finishing this DLC? Do I regret buying it?

No. Yes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want to like this DLC but the framerate issues are atrocious and I seriously have to wonder what kind of PC the devs are running if they think it's playable right now.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Isn't that basically how Arkham Knight went? They floundered, failed to fix it and eventually just said "you need 12GB RAM minimum to run our garbage".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's strange how technically broken this game is considering Mad Max was amazingly optimized. I know the two games were made by different studios within Avalanche, but I'd have figured there'd be a fair deal of collaboration.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Mad Max was made by the team that made JC2, while JC3 was made by a bunch of rookies.

I enjoyed JC3 on my PS4, but it has a lot of problems. The "Sky" DLC was worth the individual purchase for me, because I figured the land and sea iterations would not be worthwhile for me or my play style.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

the truth posted:

Mad Max was made by the team that made JC2, while JC3 was made by a bunch of rookies.

I enjoyed JC3 on my PS4, but it has a lot of problems. The "Sky" DLC was worth the individual purchase for me, because I figured the land and sea iterations would not be worthwhile for me or my play style.

Originally I thought it was the other way around and I was hopeful. Mad Max fixed some of the things I disliked about JC2 but I missed the Just Cause hijinks. It's too bad the two teams seem to have been disconnected completely, judging by the tech hiccups and the driving that somehow manages to be worse than the already awful JC2 controls.

I still occasionally play my PS4 version (no DLC tho) because I never finished the story, it's fun but not as good as it could have been and if I ever get the DLC it will be for the PC version during some sale.

But really, let me repeat: gently caress the online features. Delaying the initial loading that already takes too long by another few minutes because it has to check if someone else beat me in the million tracked stats I don't care about :argh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Enallyniv posted:

Isn't that basically how Arkham Knight went? They floundered, failed to fix it and eventually just said "you need 12GB RAM minimum to run our garbage".

AK was due to a publisher mandated separate port team. I believe Rocksteady came in later and eventually fixed most problems, though it took forever.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I uninstalled this from my C: drive and installed it on an external HDD and now it works fine, which doesn't make much sense. A lot of my games work way better when installed to the main drive instead of an external one (and a lot of them don't work on an external drive at all) but I've never seen a game run better on an external drive like this... Hmm

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
More likely that something in your initial install was corrupted and the reinstall fixed it, rather than the move to the external drive.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess I'll try uninstalling later as well.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If you have it on Steam (is this a Steamworks game? I forget and I'm phone posting) you could just verify the cache which theoretically should do the same thing, but I have done too much tech support work to rule out a full reinstall being necessary. Or maybe I was wrong before and we should all be playing this on external drives, stranger things have happened.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It's like the JC3 team had no idea what made people like JC2. It seems like they thought people loved it due to the story and missions and just doubled down on that instead of making a great open world to do whatever you want in. I'm still irritated that there is no civilian airport in this game, it's where I spent most of my time in JC2.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Conversely, while I tried a couple of times to get into JC2, it never grabbed me and I got bored.

I've played JC3 through twice now.

I mean yeah there could be more stuff in the world to do but the refinement to the movement and the grapple and stuff really makes it nicer to play. For me at least.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
JC2 had some really memorable missions, like fighting ninjas on a frozen lake while bombs fell around you, or the japanese soldiers in the abandoned island, not to mention an incredible final boss fight.

JC3 had you transport some wine barrels on a piece of poo poo truck and a final boss that could be killed like any other piece of poo poo helicopter you find.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, JC2 had stuff like that too, but they also spiced it up. I really do like the grapple and physics fun in JC3. I just wish they hadn't taken so much out at the same time.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The wingsuit made the game worth it to me. I like exploring the map, even though it's pointless.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
As for the framerate issues, I think they can be fixed by messing around with your graphics settings long enough. The game ran like rear end for me too, until I googled 'Just Cause 3 graphics performance' or something like that. I dunno exactly what I did or how, it was a while ago, but the game ran a lot more smoothly after that.

And agreed on the new DLC - it's not horrible, just really underwhelming. The mechs don't feel rewarding to pilot, the energy cannon is more of a plot device than an actual weapon, and the campaign - though give them credit, they did at least make one - was just blah. If you want just a few more hours of JC, go for it. Otherwise save your money.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Yeah I was gifted the Season Pass by a goon, so it's more JC3 for free for me, but I'm not sure I'd advise someone to pay for this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I like how the map checklist of things to do for each area turns into a little descriptor for that area once it's liberated.

• Locked thread