Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

You did it wrong, it should be:

spog posted:

HTML5

It's a bunch of big files:

C:\Users\...\Favorites\tubgirl.mp4 120,693 KB
C:\Users\...\Favorites\goatse.dat 32,768 KB
C:\Users\...\Favorites\lemonparty.dat 24,448 KB
C:\Users\...\Favorites\nin_closer.mp4 23,613 KB

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: Spilled sweet tea on my laptop.

poo poo not pissing me off: Fuckin' saved it :hellyeah:

I dropped an orange juice from my car's roof and loving thing exploded on the ground enough to get my wiper stalk and wheel. And then when I got the hose to get it off the ground there was a puncture in it that got my car and interior wet. This was the second time in an hour I got bit because the windows were open, thanks a lot heat wave.

Are garden hoses these days single use? Growing up we would have the same hoses forever but everytime I turn around it's got a puncture.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

Are garden hoses these days single use? Growing up we would have the same hoses forever but everytime I turn around it's got a puncture.

Don't get the cheap-rear end green ones. Get the reddish-brown heavy duty hoses. They cost three times as much, but I've never had a problem with them kinking, collapsing or getting pinholes. They last forever.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

do NOT buy the weird expandable things that look like women's hair scrunchy or whatever they're called, those hoses are 110% garbage and will explode all the time.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

skooma512 posted:

I dropped an orange juice from my car's roof and loving thing exploded on the ground enough to get my wiper stalk and wheel. And then when I got the hose to get it off the ground there was a puncture in it that got my car and interior wet. This was the second time in an hour I got bit because the windows were open, thanks a lot heat wave.

Sure you didn't accidentally buy a soaker hose?

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

skooma512 posted:

Buy the black rubber hoses from Sears when they go on sale, last I saw was a 75' for ~$24. Heavy as poo poo but they have the Craftsman lifetime warranty, resist kinking, and won't turn into PVC pipe when the temperature drops.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Sweet tea is dumpster fire garbage. The exception being Arnold Palmer.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Terminal posted:

Buy the black rubber hoses from Sears when they go on sale, last I saw was a 75' for ~$24. Heavy as poo poo but they have the Craftsman lifetime warranty, resist kinking, and won't turn into PVC pipe when the temperature drops.

If there's a thing people in IT need, it's black rubber hose application.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MF_James posted:

do NOT buy the weird expandable things that look like women's hair scrunchy or whatever they're called, those hoses are 110% garbage and will explode all the time.

Well poo poo. I just bought one of those.

Oh well, guess we'll see how long it lasts.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Crowley posted:

Well poo poo. I just bought one of those.

Oh well, guess we'll see how long it lasts.

My evidence is obviously anecdotal and probably has a lot to do with proper care plus location. I'm from the midwest, and tons of customers that I dealt with when in the construction business would have those hoses or have had, and there were always problems. They'd last a year or two at most and often what would happen is they would use it with a nozzle and when they let go of the handle (closing the valve) on the nozzle, it would be too much pressure for the hose and it would burst.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Sounds like they were left out in the sun for the UV rays to break down the shroud.. which the manual explicitly says not to do.

Anyways, I'll use it 'till it breaks and make a cost/benefit analysis after that.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Double post because this is actually relevant to the thread.

It's pissing me off that I can't google any info on whether administrative templates for Office 2016 is language independant or not. Apparently you can only download one admin template package - which includes 11 different languages - but looking back I recall something about Outlook in particular being a bitch to make GPOs for because the language would change the names of folders and settings.

Goddamn, Microsoft. I just want to make a stupid GPO about Outlook's stupid OST files, and where it can stick them. :argh:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The store I work at sells those hoses. We started accepting all returns on them no questions asked because they blow up constantly. We started selling them one summer then the next spring we had a ton of people coming back with burst hoses. Would not recommend at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AS/400 guy scrolling through the logs

scroll

scroll scroll scroll

Ctrl-F! Grep! something! gently caress!

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Bob Morales posted:

AS/400 guy scrolling through the logs

scroll

scroll scroll scroll

Ctrl-F! Grep! something! gently caress!

I work with some pretty smart people but I can never shake the feeling that I'm surrounded by idiots when I watch them navigate a command prompt.

It's a good thing my ears are on the outside because if they were on the inside I'd go deaf from endless internal screaming.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What really bugs me is those people that have multi-line prompts. What the gently caress is wrong with them that they need that much information printed, every single time they press enter? And usually with a bunch of ansi colors set.

All I need is the indicator whether I'm root and the hostname. Sometimes the current directory is useful, but usually not. Never the full path though.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I get that Java is a huge piece of poo poo, but why is Java such a huge piece of poo poo by design?

I received a request to "whitelist a website for Java security via GPO." There isn't a Group Policy native way to do this since managing the Java whitelist is incredibly goofy. Is this doable? Absolutely, but why is it so painful?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The new guy I hired is pretty awesome, but holy poo poo he refuses to use a gui. I get it, we use Linux, our product uses Linux, our development is in Linux, and our servers run Linux.

But for fucks sake, stop using VIM to look at files. Your IDE is up, I see it, you don't need to use the terminal for everything. I've been using Linux since I was 10, I don't use the console for everything because I don't have to! You have nothing to prove to me!

If he was faster at using the terminal I wouldn't complain, but he fumble-fucks his keys quite a bit because VIM is a steaming dumpster fire. :colbert:

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

ratbert90 posted:

The new guy I hired is pretty awesome, but holy poo poo he refuses to use a gui. I get it, we use Linux, our product uses Linux, our development is in Linux, and our servers run Linux.

But for fucks sake, stop using VIM to look at files. Your IDE is up, I see it, you don't need to use the terminal for everything. I've been using Linux since I was 10, I don't use the console for everything because I don't have to! You have nothing to prove to me!

If he was faster at using the terminal I wouldn't complain, but he fumble-fucks his keys quite a bit because VIM is a steaming dumpster fire. :colbert:

it's okay, you can admit you're a baby

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
poo poo pissing me off: cabling companies whose poo poo for brain for installers don't leave a service loop.

If I ever catch one of these guys in the act I will string them up by their own CAT6 and bill them for the labor.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

ratbert90 posted:

I'm not afraid to admit any more that I'm more capable of navigating Linux via command line (the two guys that know more about the OS in general at this point are so stuck in their own ways that they refuse to use a lot of shortcuts) than the majority of my team, despite being a junior member by quite a bit. And because they're a Linux shop I think I know more about navigating Windows than all of them combined. (We use Windows 7 / office 365 on our desktops, all our remote locations run Linux). I'm our little group's Windows help desk.

We don't really have a GUI option since we're just ssh'ing 90% of the time. And the desktops are locked the hell down. So it's insanely frustrating watching the guys that can't navigate CL properly fumble with typing - including the guy (kid, really) who is proclaiming he's going to go full Linux in his home before they pry Windows 7 from his cold dead hands.

The reverse is that we're constantly dealing with remote devices and eventually one of the more experienced guys will just say "oh they're probably just doing this" or "there's no way the error could say that" and waste so much drat time trying to get them to try again or explain it better. Jesus Christ we can look at the desktop guys. Just create that ssh tunnel and fire up VNC. Then you can see what they're doing.

e:

Sheep posted:

poo poo pissing me off: cabling companies whose poo poo for brain for installers don't leave a service loop.

If I ever catch one of these guys in the act I will string them up by their own CAT6 and bill them for the labor.

I have a few of those I talk to daily if you'd like to start. They're spread out all over the country though. I'll be glad to find locations if you're up for a trip.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 6, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sheep posted:

Got bitched out for doing that. You want to waste your cable go ahead!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Tell him emacs is better.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I get that Java is a huge piece of poo poo, but why is Java such a huge piece of poo poo by design?

I received a request to "whitelist a website for Java security via GPO." There isn't a Group Policy native way to do this since managing the Java whitelist is incredibly goofy. Is this doable? Absolutely, but why is it so painful?
If I were going to whitelist a site in Java I'd use the one at C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\deployment.properties, because even though it's per-user it's way better than that crap

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh boy it's time for another round of employee engagement surveys! Which are "anonymous" in that you only have to tell them department, age, and gender. I bet they'll never be able to figure out which 30 year old woman in IT left all the negative comments!!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Got bitched out for doing that. You want to waste your cable go ahead!

I get that if it's an internal thing but when I'm paying for the cabling job what does it matter when the cabling company isn't eating the cost, I am. Bill me for the slack and I'd be glad to pay for it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Sirotan posted:

Oh boy it's time for another round of employee engagement surveys! Which are "anonymous" in that you only have to tell them department, age, and gender. I bet they'll never be able to figure out which 30 year old woman in IT left all the negative comments!!

Is there any way for them to know if you lie about age and gender, and leave the rest of your feedback honest?

On second thought, I guess this approach is hazardous in that it could bring flak upon other undeserving employees. Still, they really shouldn't need that information for the survey I would think.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sirotan posted:

I refused to answer mine this year for this reason. I answered honestly last year. My already adversarial relationship with my boss got even more rocky a few weeks later when he found out who gave the survey. (I'm the only remote employee in his team, so guess how he found out!)

HR pushed me about it, and I told them it was either lie (and say my boss is great!) or not take the survey at all. They let me not take the survey.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Further proof those surveys are just bullshit and don't actually mean or change anything.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Eletriarnation posted:

Is there any way for them to know if you lie about age and gender, and leave the rest of your feedback honest?

On second thought, I guess this approach is hazardous in that it could bring flak upon other undeserving employees. Still, they really shouldn't need that information for the survey I would think.

The survey is being conducted by an outside company, and you get to the it via a unique URL so in the end its not anonymous at all. Would the company reveal to our upper management who said what specifically? Probably not but I still don't feel like I could really speak my mind on the thing. A clear indictment of our company culture, which the survey is meant to reveal, so now I'm stuck in a catch-22.

Last year's survey results were never even fully disclosed after we received ratings significantly lower than other similarly sized organizations in our field. The worst scoring categories were staff pay, career development, and whether staff felt senior management's actions supported the organization. :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Company surveys are done to figure out who the dissenters are.

Sirotan posted:

The survey is being conducted by an outside company, and you get to the it via a unique URL so in the end its not anonymous at all. Would the company reveal to our upper management who said what specifically? Probably not but I still don't feel like I could really speak my mind on the thing. A clear indictment of our company culture, which the survey is meant to reveal, so now I'm stuck in a catch-22.

Last year's survey results were never even fully disclosed after we received ratings significantly lower than other similarly sized organizations in our field. The worst scoring categories were staff pay, career development, and whether staff felt senior management's actions supported the organization. :v:

The companies who do those surveys don't give poo poo about you and will tell your employer whatever they have data to give them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ugato posted:

I'm not afraid to admit any more that I'm more capable of navigating Linux via command line (the two guys that know more about the OS in general at this point are so stuck in their own ways that they refuse to use a lot of shortcuts) than the majority of my team, despite being a junior member by quite a bit. And because they're a Linux shop I think I know more about navigating Windows than all of them combined. (We use Windows 7 / office 365 on our desktops, all our remote locations run Linux). I'm our little group's Windows help desk.

We don't really have a GUI option since we're just ssh'ing 90% of the time. And the desktops are locked the hell down. So it's insanely frustrating watching the guys that can't navigate CL properly fumble with typing - including the guy (kid, really) who is proclaiming he's going to go full Linux in his home before they pry Windows 7 from his cold dead hands.

I can use the console just fine though. In fact; I'm in it 99% of the time because I'm a Embedded Linux guy. But if you have nice gui tools to use, why not use them? Sometimes the terminal ISN'T the best option.

stubblyhead posted:

Tell him emacs is better.

Here: Trade one dumpster fire for another! :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And a lot of guis slow tasks down by requiring clicking in a dozen different places to do a thing while the cli might use a handful of options or editing a config file. There's upsides and downsides to both approaches.

Stop giving a poo poo how people use computers and worry about whether they can get their work done or not.

(though I stand by my multi-line command prompt comment, that will always be dumb)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Further proof those surveys are just bullshit and don't actually mean or change anything.

They mean you were stupid enough to badmouth your boss in a way that's both public and traceable, and it can adversely change your employment status if you're overly candid and your boss is an autistic manchild with anger management issues.

ratbert90 posted:

Here: Trade one dumpster fire for another! :v:

Your dumpster fire smells like rotting garbage and burning steak. This other dumpster fire smells like hot tar and brimstone, much better!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

And a lot of guis slow tasks down by requiring clicking in a dozen different places to do a thing while the cli might use a handful of options or editing a config file. There's upsides and downsides to both approaches.

ratbert90 posted:

Sometimes the terminal ISN'T the best option.

quote:

Stop giving a poo poo how people use computers and worry about whether they can get their work done or not.

(though I stand by my multi-line command prompt comment, that will always be dumb)

I don't normally; if he wants to fumble gently caress his way around on the CLI instead of using the GUI that's his prerogative, but if he is actively trying to show me something or asking for assistance, then it becomes a issue because I have to stand there and wait for him to gently caress up some vim command for the 5th time in a row.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I always had to reference VIM shortcuts cause I couldn't remember them all. Hell I didn't even have VIM sometimes; stuck with straight VI.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Any reason you can't just lie about all that?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I always had to reference VIM shortcuts cause I couldn't remember them all. Hell I didn't even have VIM sometimes; stuck with straight VI.

you haven't lived til you configure an entire system with ed.

But vim is, and always will be, the superior text editor. I just don't get people who use it as a reader instead of less.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Haha.

Right in the middle of a major transformation that absolutely everyone except the very top management hates and is thoroughly demoralised about, they sent out of these employee surveys.

I have never hit 'strongly disagree' so hard.

I think they must have done it as some kind of stress release for us: there's no way any vaguely self-aware manager could expect anything except a highly negative response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

spog posted:

Haha.

Right in the middle of a major transformation that absolutely everyone except the very top management hates and is thoroughly demoralised about, they sent out of these employee surveys.

I have never hit 'strongly disagree' so hard.

I think they must have done it as some kind of stress release for us: there's no way any vaguely self-aware manager could expect anything except a highly negative response.

Middle-management might have sent it out on purpose to show top management how harmful it is to morale.