Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What I'm mostly afraid of at this point are whatever are the infamous orbs of fire somewhere in Zot or V:5 or wherever, I remember seeing lots of posts about them, and I have no fire resistance, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Orbs of fire are in Zot. They mostly only appear in Zot:5 but can spawn rarely on the higher floors or in special vaults. They are super tanky and will absolutely destroy you if you don't have any fire resistance. You want at least rf++. A strong character can possibly get away with only rf+ but their damage output can be really scary.

Also they mutate you, so wear an amulet of rMut hope you have enough cure mutation potions to not get arbitrarily hosed over.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

kalstrams posted:

What I'm mostly afraid of at this point are whatever are the infamous orbs of fire somewhere in Zot or V:5 or wherever, I remember seeing lots of posts about them, and I have no fire resistance, at all.

You should get some fire resistance. The orbs are a test of strength, if you can survive and/or win an encounter against one, you'll have a shot at the ORB.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Internet Kraken posted:

Also they mutate you, so wear an amulet of rMut hope you have enough cure mutation potions to not get arbitrarily hosed over.

imo this is the worst part. You really can't do anything about it now, unless you have the rMut mutation I guess? OoFs suuuuck and better hope you don't get teleportitis or some poo poo!

Also rF+ is what's critical: the first pip is the most important/gives you the most return. Two/three is what you want, but you should at least have one!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've never noticed orbs of fire doing damage but they do mutate me heck of all the time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nanomashoes posted:

I've never noticed orbs of fire doing damage
:psyduck:

orb of fire spells:
bolt of fire: 3d40 damage
fireball: 3d43 damage
malmutate

orbs of fire would be worse if they didn't have malmutate because they'd spend more turns blowing you the gently caress up

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I've been at RF+++ and mutation resistance with EV and AC out the rear end and orb of fires are the only thing on Zot:5 that bother me.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Please share your sick orb of fire stopping techniques.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Big antimagic weapons. Spamming them with summons. Spam butterflies and firestorm/glaciate.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Also, this is probably a bad idea but is it just me or is the new Sun Demon tile perfect for Orbs of Fire? And the OOF tile should be used for Sun Demons?

Orbs of Fire should totally have a terrifying eye of death.

Also, put Orbs of Ice into Zot. No. Put Orbs of Ice into Zot 6. The entrance to Zot 6 has the rune of Zot and has a stairway underneath the Orb of Zot that cannot be entered unless you are holding said Orb of Zot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

jon joe posted:

Please share your sick orb of fire stopping techniques.
1) Find Lajatang of Order
2) Win

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I have no idea what the positive aspect of the current state of malmutate is. It's blatantly awful and means any non-Necromutation/undead character heading into Zot had better have saved his cMut or he's hosed. Is "horrible mutation Z:5 and orb run" really a desirable state of affairs?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gently caress, I've just cleared V:5 and my rF is just +. How much impact slaying +3 give me?

If I replace my rings with two unequipped, I gain rF+ but lose rC+ (I have rC+++ at the moment).

Edit:

Where should I go now in my quest to at least rF++ before Zot?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

kalstrams posted:

gently caress, I've just cleared V:5 and my rF is just +. How much impact slaying +3 give me?

If I replace my rings with two unequipped, I gain rF+ but lose rC+ (I have rC+++ at the moment).

the 3rd pip on any resist is nice but not really necessary. the first is the most important, reducing damage by 50% iirc

e: you're wearing a CPA? you could probably do slime if you wanted to, or z:1-4 if you just be careful about it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alright, I won't sweat rC much then, though I'd still like rF++. Is there no rMut anymore?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

kalstrams posted:

Alright, I won't sweat rC much then, though I'd still like rF++. Is there no rMut anymore?

rMut, clarity amulets et al are a thing of the past, I'm afriad. :(

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a Hepliaklqana ancestor that's head and shoulders above the rest? If not, which one would be best for my troll monk?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LogicNinja posted:

I have no idea what the positive aspect of the current state of malmutate is. It's blatantly awful and means any non-Necromutation/undead character heading into Zot had better have saved his cMut or he's hosed. Is "horrible mutation Z:5 and orb run" really a desirable state of affairs?

I thought after the tournament there would be consensus that its awful and the devs would of worked on a better system but I guess not.

Its stupid but its making it hard to work up the motivation to play again cause I basically always did extended and now I'm gonna get really pissed off everytime I get mutated by an OoF/Cacodemon/hell effect.

kalstrams posted:

Ideally you should have one pip of every resistance by the time you do Zot just to minimize damage from weapon brands, but rC is less important than rF by a large margin. You definitely don't need three of it. If you do Slime though make sure you have rC+ instead of fire though cause nothing there does fire damage while azure jellies will freeze you.

rMut was axed along with several other brands the devs did not consider interesting. To compensate for rMut being removed, they increased the spawn rate of cMut potions. So horde those and chug them when you get a bad mutation.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 5, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

LogicNinja posted:

what games have you had where you were killed by malmut?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:rip: rMut, still need to find a better amulet though. Going to resume my slow crawl through Zot, I guess.

Kind of want to lament Okawaru for giving me just +6 eveningstar with sInv and vamp, but after everything else he gave me I don't dare even to think wrongly of him. :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
With the new lack of strength weights, with str converted to pure damage and dex converted to pure hit chance, what does a good strength build look like? Or is everyone hefting around battle axes with 10 strength and 30 dex?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hot drat I just beat Line sprint for the first time.

That last line is a doozy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

PleasingFungus posted:

Once with Blurred Vision. But that was more for the fact that I did not have the current warning that "HEY IDIOT YOU HAVE BLURRED VISION, READING WILL TAKE TIME." Otherwise I've been killed by my own actions rather than some hypothetical.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PleasingFungus posted:

goddamn teleportitis

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

jon joe posted:

With the new lack of strength weights, with str converted to pure damage and dex converted to pure hit chance, what does a good strength build look like? Or is everyone hefting around battle axes with 10 strength and 30 dex?

exactly the same as before, since strength weights did not matter.

if you have high str, you probably want to use heavy armour. if you don't, maybe stick with something lighter. shortblades are generally more useful for lighter-armour characters than for heavy-armour characters, since they synergize with hexes and stealth, but light-armour characters can use other weapon types just fine. go hog wild

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Unseen horror on D:5. Thought it was the sky beast I had seen a few turns before, and even though I was moving towards the stairs/column dancing space, that was too OOD.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

kalstrams posted:

Where should I go now in my quest to at least rF++ before Zot?
You don't need rF++ for Zot, you just gotta be careful about everything.

PleasingFungus posted:

If it isn't actually bad enough to kill people, but is really annoying, isn't that a pretty strong argument that it should go?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

quote:

12161106 LogicNinja the Englaciator (level 27, 188/199 HPs)
Began as a Deep Elf Conjurer on June 3, 2016.
Was the Champion of Vehumet.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 15 runes on June 5, 2016!

The game lasted 08:43:21 (140549 turns).

I finally won instead of dying in a zig! I even went up with two zig figs in my inventory, tempting me. It's been a while!

I got the Amulet of the Four Winds in Zig 1 (and survived it through... blind luck, mostly), which is what really let me coast through Zig 2 and postgame. That zig was hard, including a couple of really close calls on things like mummy floors. By the time I got to Tomb with two done zigs and 14 runes, I could just Shatter-mash my way through with no trouble.
Basic mummies not cursing your gear anymore is a huge QOL improvement, I love it.
Fortunately, one thing you can now do in Zigs is chain-read Blink scrolls to get to the downstairs and try to recover on the next floor. Worked for me a couple of times.

The removal of Clarity and rMut is as obnoxious as ever. You really need clarity to do zigs as a caster, so you literally have to hope for the mutation or the amulet of the four winds (or that katana that has it, I guess). Necromutation means malmutate isn't a problem, but for melee characters, I just can't imagine doing end/postgame as a melee dude now. It's so bad that I literally stopped playing melee guys in trunk and go back to 0.17 for that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I lost a strong character recently because I had teleportitis and no -tele. It's very dangerous by depths or so.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Malmut killed me by getting me to try a zig in search of cMut and dyding, does that count? Seriously, Malmut is terrible, and as much as OOFs spam it, getting a melee character through Zot sounds like a nightmare.

It also means melee dudes can't afford to play mutation roulette in the early-mid game, because they need to save every cMut for the end, so it's anti-fun in that regard as well.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just saw this on Gamers With Jobs, a scroll of acquirement decision tree.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Oh my gosh, I just figured out the best combo with the ancestor god. Inner fire works on your own ancestor, so you can cast it, use the ability to put it into enemy ranks, and when it dies, BOOM!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Unimpressed posted:

Someone make this but for Gozag shops, thanks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
"Are you a felid?" -> Y -> "Acquire wand or jewellery, then quit" :v:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

I think malmutate is so unfun that it's easy to exaggerate how dangerous it is.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FR: When removing Pakellas as a god, replace him with the following:

Phuqu - The God of Malmutation.
Unlike most Gods, where you earn their gaze by showing their worship, Phuqu is always looking at you. And malmuting you.
The only way to stop these random kicks to the dick strategic fun enhancers is to appease him with sacrifices.
Gain piety by playing crawl the "right way", which will not be explained to you and must be figured out by randomly getting put in penance for doing something overpowered, using a flavor of the month item, playing a minotaur or gargoyle, etc. The "right way" will change each patch.
Piety levels 1 to 5 stars give you increasing protection against Phuqu's malmute rolls. At 6 stars, you finally gain protection from other sources of malmute.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Unimpressed posted:

I'm going to argue that if you are an Ogre (maybe Troll) that hasn't found a Dragon Armour yet to go armour first.

PleasingFungus posted:

Maybe this game where I had teleportis 2 in Zot 5 is what caused my death as I kept getting pulled into the Lungs over and over again with no reprieve.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zaodai posted:

FR: When removing Pakellas as a god, replace him with the following:

Pak's fine, PF was only saying Pak is more likely to be removed than Nem is, neither are on the table as far as he's mentioned.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

code:

Goodbye, kalstrams.

1660558 kalstrams the Hoplite (level 27, 202/262 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on June 5, 2016.
             Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 06:43:05 (73628 turns).
Thank you everyone for the help, especially guys who dropped into the chat to babysit me through Depths and Zot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

World Famous W posted:

I'm going to argue that if you are an Ogre (maybe Troll) that hasn't found a Dragon Armour yet to go armour first.
They also recently shoved Rods into Misc acquirement instead of Staff acquirement, and (theoretically) made jewellery acquirement better.

• Locked thread