Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Likely no appreciate for an attempt to make the BDSSE. I say this knowing full well that AP will quote this post with a picture or video of a model missing feet, eyes or genitalia (albeit, a model from a game in alpha, pre-alpha, or whatever you guys want to call it).

I don't believe that even you believe that.

Here's what I think, and let me know if I'm hitting close to home: I think you see the writing on the wall. I think you know how this poo poo is going to go down and you know that while some people do mean for the best for SC, upper management is less than competent and that the odds of CIG delivering anything even close to what they are suggesting they deliver is about zero. But I also think you don't want to give up your position in the community, whether it be for 'prestige' or simply because you want to see the fireworks from a closer seat. I think the second the project no longer is obviously viable to even the densest of SC backer, you'll jump ship and tell a story or three -- A day which I look forward to a great deal by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Here's what I think, and let me know if I'm hitting close to home: I think you see the writing on the wall. I think you know how this poo poo is going to go down and you know that while some people do mean for the best for SC, upper management is less than competent and that the odds of CIG delivering anything even close to what they are suggesting they deliver is about zero. But I also think you don't want to give up your position in the community, whether it be for 'prestige' or simply because you want to see the fireworks from a closer seat. I think the second the project no longer is obviously viable to even the densest of SC backer, you'll jump ship and tell a story or three -- A day which I look forward to a great deal by the way!

I think he's getting tetchy about his belt

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

I say this knowing full well that AP will quote this post with a picture or video of a model missing feet, eyes or genitalia (albeit, a model from a game in alpha, pre-alpha, or whatever you guys want to call it).

(I tried, but I don't have any SC screenshots)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

LMAO, clearly not helpdesk-competent like I said :allears: This guy fails all criteria. He doesn't get that you don't put that in writing, much less make it part of the classification system.

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!
This is a quote from the video from November last year when reporter Christian Schneider of the german gaming magazine Gamestar visited Foundry 42 in near Manchester. This quote was used in a recent discussion in the international community. I thought it deserves to be posted again here as well.

Translation:

Gamestar video 11/19/2015 posted:

"You have seen it? Touched it?"
Christian Schneider:
"Nope. That's the bad news. Although we were there and know more or less all about it: how it works, what is planned, how the single player campaign is supposed to work. However we couldn't see almost anything of it. Actually [we saw] only a few assets. The remainder was generally speaking what everyone knows about Star Citizen from Alpha 2.0. They couldn't show us a single mission from the campaign as a whole. To be honest therefore right after this visit i was really excited of what SC could become. The days after it dawned on me: "Wait a minute, actually i haven't seen anything..."

But yea, the reporter was doubtful to see a release in 2016. No surprises there.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

I'm sure that all the businesses I frequent often enough to be remembered at have a nickname for me. For example, at the liquor store I'm "that guy who pays our lease"

The thing is, they don't put this in a fuckin' database and then show it to me

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

I think he's getting tetchy about his belt

tbh i dont think he's toast

but he is trying to use that narrative to troll us into thinking he knows more than he does

it's a rookie play, really

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

EminusSleepus posted:

Anyone noticed that every time CIG fucks up something MoMA suddenly appears in this thread as if he was summoned?

So does Derek.
Makes you think...

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

see also how super touchy he was when he showed up, especially w/r/t his 4 grand of disposable income

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hi

Did you intentionally overlay the word "rot" on a giant face shot of Sandi? The whole time I was watching the opening of the video with Sandi and the word "rot" next to her, I couldn't help but imagine her losing her poo poo about it.

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!

orcinus posted:

So does Derek.
Makes you think...
Are we getting double invert reverse trolled by Derek again?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Perhaps they're not classifications in the way we think.

"Goons" could be their code word for the Evocati.

"High Maintenance" could be those who are submitting so many bug reports that the bugsmashers are having to do extra high code maintenance to fix them.

"Snowflake" could be the super-super-sekrit test group assigned to receive the first alphas of the procedural generation - after all, next to birds, what better thing to procedurally generate than snowflakes?

You're seeing it all wrong!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So - no: you are nowhere close to home. You have absolutely no clue what's going on behind the scenes and are just projecting sentiment in this forum because that's what is expected of you. Want to be upset that you're not fed more screenshots of a working game? Want to feed on the childish, impatient emotions of entitled redditors that want what they want and need everything yesterday? Do it. This is as effective an echo-chamber as is that loving subreddit, as are the CIG forums, etc. In other words: not effective at all. What you perceive as effecting change when DS or another goon or a rouge redditor or whomever else makes a prediction is nothing but coincidence or speculation of a forced puzzle-piece when CIG is not even playing withe same puzzle. Are CIG's methods towards game development unorthodox? Yeah. Could this whole process be more streamlined, industry-norm and cleaner? Yes. But again, this is not a project like others out there.

That said, two things I want to note:

1) Some here, on reddit and CIG forums (or could just be the same people on all three) are quick to claim SCAM or FRAUD. The FBI, FTC, State AGs and other authorities are not idiots. I know from experience that when something with this much steam and attention becomes more public daily, people and authorities will take an interest in it. And such, if the notion of a scam or fraud ever became anything more, authorities would not wait for four years to effect an investigation (even just to start one). They most especially wouldn't allow a company to continue to accept donations/pledges/etc, to the tune of 100+ million dollars.

2) Aside from just a very small handful of lesser-known gaming media outlets, and perhaps one-three better known outlets, this forum (which represented, at one time, what, 300-400k worth of pledges?) and perhaps some discontent people on CIG forums and reddit, where else do you see people screaming SCAM and FRAUD?

No, what I think is happening is a lot of frustrated, impatient people want to see stuff NOW, and when they see items broken in testing - in alpha - they can't stand having shelled out real cash (which they were never forced to do - mind you) and not immediately seeing the benefits. There have no doubt been setbacks, missed deadlines, poor management decisions, etc, but I never believed there to be malcontent, intention to deceive or defraud, or the like.

So, think what you want: this is forum for discussion, no? I am still under the belief that CIG has a lot under wraps and we will get to see the fruits of that hard work and development while the naysayers remain silent.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

nice meltdown

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

So - no: you are nowhere close to home. You have absolutely no clue what's going on behind the scenes and are just projecting sentiment in this forum because that's what is expected of you. Want to be upset that you're not fed more screenshots of a working game? Want to feed on the childish, impatient emotions of entitled redditors that want what they want and need everything yesterday? Do it. This is as effective an echo-chamber as is that loving subreddit, as are the CIG forums, etc. In other words: not effective at all. What you perceive as effecting change when DS or another goon or a rouge redditor or whomever else makes a prediction is nothing but coincidence or speculation of a forced puzzle-piece when CIG is not even playing withe same puzzle. Are CIG's methods towards game development unorthodox? Yeah. Could this whole process be more streamlined, industry-norm and cleaner? Yes. But again, this is not a project like others out there.

1) Some here, on reddit and CIG forums (or could just be the same people on all three) are quick to claim SCAM or FRAUD. The FBI, FTC, State AGs and other authorities are not idiots. I know from experience that when something with this much steam and attention becomes more public daily, people and authorities will take an interest in it. And such, if the notion of a scam or fraud ever became anything more, authorities would not wait for four years to effect an investigation (even just to start one). They most especially wouldn't allow a company to continue to accept donations/pledges/etc, to the tune of 100+ million dollars.

2) Aside from just a very small handful of lesser-known gaming media outlets, and perhaps one-three better known outlets, this forum (which represented, at one time, what, 300-400k worth of pledges?) and perhaps some discontent people on CIG forums and reddit, where else do you see people screaming SCAM and FRAUD?

No, what I think is happening is a lot of frustrated, impatient people want to see stuff NOW, and when they see items broken in testing - in alpha - they can't stand having shelled out real cash (which they were never forced to do - mind you) and not immediately seeing the benefits. There have no doubt been setbacks, missed deadlines, poor management decisions, etc, but I never believed there to be malcontent, intention to deceive or defraud, or the like.

So, think what you want: this is forum for discussion, no? I am still under the belief that CIG has a lot under wraps and we will get to see the fruits of that hard work and development while the naysayers remain silent.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/739571795381092352

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

I've felt it coming the last few days, he's almost broken, the meltdown is imminent.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

if this is the stuff that dribbles out because CIG is full of idiots, imagine the stuff they've managed to keep hidden

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Likely no appreciate for an attempt to make the BDSSE. I say this knowing full well that AP will quote this post with a picture or video of a model missing feet, eyes or genitalia (albeit, a model from a game in alpha, pre-alpha, or whatever you guys want to call it).

I'd actually appreciate it if they did make an attempt at creating such a piece of software.

All I've seen is glossy marketting vids that amount to hollow ideas, a CEO who seems to be made of nothing but hot air, staff incapable of treating money or members of the public with respect, and some easily manipulated cultists defending it with excuses and vitriol.

Impressive scope and ambition mean nothing without equally impressive levels of progress and delivery, anyone can dream big, very few can deliver them. I can't even bring myself to post anything, good or bad on their site these days, they have expertly failed at every step apart from fundraising, they deserve public humiliation and ridicule as they go out of their way by their own actions to demand nothing less. If I had them paint a wall they would step in the paint tin, they are nothing more than a joke, a bunch of cowboys, fly by night crooks, and their project is nothing more than broken disjointed ideas and a showcase of dire planning and awful leadership.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

EminusSleepus posted:

I wonder what tags they gave to these people

Wulf Knight - pretty sure it's 'the wulge"
Karl
Beer
And among others

Wulf Knight - Dickensian Characters
Karl - The Auditors
Beer - Touched by Sauron

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

see i fuckin told you hes a level 420 thetan

he's so mature and intelligent that he can sit back and watch his $4,000+ donation -- with a grounded perspective that's far superior to any of you goons

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jon Do posted:

see also how super touchy he was when he showed up, especially w/r/t his 4 grand of disposable income

You know what? It is disposable - I stand by what I said and screw you for trying to get me to think otherwise. If you plop down 4k on a video game, a car, toys, items for a hobby - whatever - you had better also understand that nothing in life is certain or guaranteed and that you are at risk of losing whatever you spend. And, in that regard, it is disposable. Someone who spends 4k on radio controlled aircraft, just to have said aircraft encounter rough wind forcing it to come crashing down - just disposed of 4k. Same goes for someone who bought a beater car that then popped a head-gasket. Etc., etc.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ash1138 posted:

if this is the stuff that dribbles out because CIG is full of idiots, imagine the stuff they've managed to keep hidden

Gotta say, the Escapist horror tales (the ones they mentioned on the podcast, not even talking about the ones they put in the article) are sounding more and more likely with each of these fuckups that come out like this lol.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

yeah but you can sell a car

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

:five:
Shirt material.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Mr.Tophat posted:

You're a Smartie. Our alignments are different. I believe this forum is for comedy. Everything else is secondary. Just because Derek has power, doesn't mean I bent the knee.

:vince:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

XK posted:

I've felt it coming the last few days, he's almost broken, the meltdown is imminent.

What does meltdown mean to you, commando? Does it mean engaging in a back and forth discussion with someone else? Does it mean providing a counter-opinion on a topic? Or does it mean reading a blog or twitter post about impending legal action on a company and wanting to jump of a bridge?

Two of those are the correct answers.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I've started labelling videogames so that they can be properly categorized, and addressed, once I start my gaming news website called "Ubergamers United™"

Star Citizen will be the first game I label.

FUBAR

Star Citizen - A Bit poo poo

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

ManofManyAliases posted:

You know what? It is disposable - I stand by what I said and screw you for trying to get me to think otherwise. If you plop down 4k on a video game, a car, toys, items for a hobby - whatever - you had better also understand that nothing in life is certain or guaranteed and that you are at risk of losing whatever you spend. And, in that regard, it is disposable. Someone who spends 4k on radio controlled aircraft, just to have said aircraft encounter rough wind forcing it to come crashing down - just disposed of 4k. Same goes for someone who bought a beater car that then popped a head-gasket. Etc., etc.

yeah but the radio control plane and the beater car both exist

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

You didn't buy a game though, you bought the idea of a game.

Basically a 4k preorder lol

no wait, a preorder actually gets released 95% of the time due to the publisher.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

also i would lol at someone that thew money away no matter what

do you also buy starbucks daily instead of brewing your own coffee like a sane person

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

CrazyLoon posted:

Gotta say, the Escapist horror tales (the ones they mentioned on the podcast, not even talking about the ones they put in the article) are sounding more and more likely with each of these fuckups that come out like this lol.
when this goes tits up and those stories come out, it's going to be spectacular

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

That's fine. It was disposable income.

Doesn't change the fact that it was goddamn stupid.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I think there comes a moment where we ALL should probably stop posting. That said, I won't. But thanks anyway? There's too much anti-CIG sentiment here and I have to post double to balance things out buddy.

I don't think that's the case, you've got to have a little admiration for any company that can scam individual people out of thousands and have such an impact on their lives that they'll register on a dead comedy forum to defend them. I appreciate the increased effort you are putting into your posts trying to be funny, not saying you are succeeding but I appreciate the effort, please don't disappear as CIG continue to fail to deliver anything worth playing.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 5, 2016

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

ManofManyAliases posted:

dude, it's a video game, you don't even get any big special dicksucking for it either at least when you pledge a few hundred dollars for Kingdom Come: Deliverance they mail you a real handmade sword

C'mon man, you know better, don't try to convince yourself spending $4000 on a video game is something you're comfortable with and isn't just the natural outcome of getting swept up by the hype and trickle over time. I'm sure there are a lot of people who play F2P games who, if you showed them how much they have spent over the years on tokens, they would probably justify it too but secretly know they have a problem.

Any normal person would think a car or cool airplane or TV would be neat, but you tell them you spent $4,000 on a video game, they are going to file you in their brain as "person with issues".

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Daztek posted:

You didn't buy a game though, you bought the idea of a game.

So? Who doesn't buy ideas in today's world?

Entrepreneurs encourage others to buy into their ideas. Some fail - some make. Those who make it innovate, replicate, or improve. And then, ideas turn into reality. I see nothing wrong with this.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

D1E posted:

That's fine. It was disposable income.

Doesn't change the fact that it was goddamn stupid.

nothing moomers does is stupid, ok

he's ultra-mature and intelligent, thus he makes sure he is an informed consumer

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

also sad that i have no tags even though my username here and there have some commonality and i've posted exactly how much i got refunded, when, and what excuse i used when doing so

guess they don't take the time to track everybody posting here

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I find it funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ManofManyAliases posted:

You guys obviously don't understand anything about tag development.

Your posts are becoming very good and funny. This makes me glad.

• Locked thread