Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My father in law has a DC2, he got it with I think 30-something thousand miles on it. His son must have been the perfect age for The Fast And The Furious, because he has a Prelude with a body kit he built for drag racing. They are thinking about putting a turbo on the DC2. I haven't managed to talk them out of it, but at least they won't use the original engine.

I thought the Corvette would ride pretty smooth with the magnetic suspension. Is it a programming thing that makes it hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so that video basically proves that most evo drivers are poo poo and its the car that makes them fast.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My father in law has a DC2, he got it with I think 30-something thousand miles on it. His son must have been the perfect age for The Fast And The Furious, because he has a Prelude with a body kit he built for drag racing. They are thinking about putting a turbo on the DC2. I haven't managed to talk them out of it, but at least they won't use the original engine.

I thought the Corvette would ride pretty smooth with the magnetic suspension. Is it a programming thing that makes it hard?

Always feels like a waste to turbocharge a Type R - you get the feeling that they set the entire car up absolutely perfectly for its tires, suspension and brakes from the factory, moreso than any other performance car I've driven. But I can see why people do it - the car drives so well that maybe common logic would suggest more power would make it even better (it doesn't).

The normal C7 Corvette runs smoothly, but the Z06 and particularly Z07 are set up to be firm from the factory. The Z07 in 'tour' mode is a little softer than the DC5 but still firm, while in 'track' mode it feels about the same as the DC5, which suits me pretty well.

Laserface posted:

so that video basically proves that most evo drivers are poo poo and its the car that makes them fast.

I think that comes down to demographics - Evos and STis seem to have a lot more of a casual 'cruiser' fanbase (while most Type Rs are raced or crashed while trying to street race). When they get to the track, they quickly find out they've been using about 10% of their car's performance on the road and have no idea what do with the 90% left over - I would guess by his super early braking that's the first time he's braked hard.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Spades posted:

It can do this, yes, but it cannot recreate the thrill of slipping off the brake, missing the shift, grinding the gearbox, locking up the differential and swinging sideways into a sandtrap like real heeltoeing can.

lol'd pretty good at this. :D

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
I took the Z07 in to get its plates finally so now apparently JUW843 is its new name.

jubei? whatever

Either way, this is our weather at the moment:

Fortunately, the Z07 package is a well rounded combination and the tires come rain-rated*

*Rain rating: 0, safe for none rain

This leads to fun and excitement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heBdwA8O1pQ

On the drive back the rain became extremely heavy and I think that I probably made various finger-shaped indentations in the wheel keeping the car steady. With the tires as they are, it seems to lose traction on one wheel at a time at least rather than completely aquaplaning.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
That looks like it would have been a bit of a hairy ride. Love to see such a cool car over here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Spades posted:

I think that comes down to demographics - Evos and STis seem to have a lot more of a casual 'cruiser' fanbase (while most Type Rs are raced or crashed while trying to street race). When they get to the track, they quickly find out they've been using about 10% of their car's performance on the road and have no idea what do with the 90% left over - I would guess by his super early braking that's the first time he's braked hard.

Most EVO and STI drivers are idiots frankly.

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm really hoping and praying for the new, hot 2018 CR-Z, with a slightly de-tuned Civic Type-R engine (280 hp???) and say a conventional 8-sp automatic with flappy paddles (no fing CVTs!!!!). If they bring this out next year I will be the first to deposit/order one.

That honestly sounds godawful and yet again the Type-R will have no FWD peer.

quote:

Always feels like a waste to turbocharge a Type R - you get the feeling that they set the entire car up absolutely perfectly for its tires, suspension and brakes from the factory, moreso than any other performance car I've driven. But I can see why people do it - the car drives so well that maybe common logic would suggest more power would make it even better (it doesn't).

Honestly one of hte best comments about the Type-R I have ever read.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

VTEC engines don't really like forced induction but respond quite well to NO2. However as stated Honda deliver the entire package with a Type R not just an engine with a few suspension tweaks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Spades posted:

Yeah, I think my father in law was expecting more straight line speed than it actually has. I wouldn't mess with it myself, but he wants to and I'm pretty sure working on cars is how he bonds with his son. They'll probably get some cheap civic engine and turbocharge that.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
While I was waiting for the Z07's plates to get sorted I trundled around the dealership and engaged photographic snoopery.

imgur due to huge unresized images: http://imgur.com/a/nttUD

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Spades posted:

...On the drive back the rain became extremely heavy and I think that I probably made various finger-shaped indentations in the wheel keeping the car steady. With the tires as they are, it seems to lose traction on one wheel at a time at least rather than completely aquaplaning.
That's because you drove over the painted line and those get extremely slick in the wet. Just like gaters/gators/rumble strips/any painted feature of a race track in the wet.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
The squeaking on the DC5's accessory belt was starting to ride my rear end so this weekend I changed it with the aid of a complex set of pulleys to keep the drat autotensioner sorted.

Also took out the tensioner bearing and repacked it with grease as it turned out that it had dried up and was due to become a very sheared bearing in the new few hundred kilometres.

The headlights had also almost completed their sad descent into yellow opacity (stock photo: ) so I sanded them back with two grains of cutting compounds and then got ready to seal them with self levelling clearcoat.

First it was dry

Then it was wet and ugly

While this was happening I had a beer

I had some beer to go with my beer

I decided that watching paint dry wasn't so boring, really

But then the cold came in because I left the garage door open and slightly clouded the clearcoat, basically ruining everything. gently caress

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Hot take: I decided to see how good a mileage I could get by driving the Z06 like a grandma

My supercar gets considerably better gas mileage than my hatchback

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
What grits did you use for the headlights?

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Mcqueen posted:

What grits did you use for the headlights?

Wet sanding with Meguiar's ultimate compound and then polishing compound with a little electric polisher. Could get away with doing it by hand as well, just want to turn the lights on after you're done and make sure there's no cloudy spots or rough patches. Not sure of what the actual grit levels for those two are but the general recommendation is 1000 and 2000.

Sanding them will kill the crappy UV protection that still remains so they'll yellow again in a few weeks' time unless you clear coat them. The clear coat is enough to maintain the finish since an old R32 Skyline that I buffed up the same manner still has clear headlights years later (that's about the only part of the car still in decent condition). Whatever cheap $5 can of acrylic clear will do, so long as you don't let a damp breeze cloud the thing up like I did.

Some people will balk at the idea of using cutting compound on headlights but gently caress it.

Spades fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 5, 2016

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Huh. Figured you need heavier scuffing for the clear to stick...

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Having started playing around with launching the Z07, I noticed a bit of a sticky, gravelly feeling changing into 2nd gear at higher speed - with only 3600 kilometres on it'd seem like it's really just the 2nd gear syncro ring hasn't bedded on the cone just yet (typical wear-in that cleans up at about the 10,000k mark).

To be sure though, I borrowed a mate's auto pit to flush the trans fluid.

Post-drain shot. Huge amount of space around the trans because of the rear end being sized to also fit the A8. Fluid was a bit milky looking - probably contaminated with some part linings and syncro bits. Seemed to clean up a lot after driving but still slightly touchy - apparently this is typical on very heavy duty-level Tremec transmissions though.

Front. Oil changes are going to be a hell of a lot less of a pain than the DC5 (For anyone who hasn't done so - the easiest way involves jacking up one side of the car, taking the wheel off and threading your arm around the struts to twist the filter blind and splatter poo poo all over the crossmembers).

Steve is always working on about ten cars at once - the 987 Cayman there has its engine out after fun with a spun bearing.

GT40. Aftermarket Fuel rail has gone out on the clevo in it - never understand why people don't just put a 427 FE into them. Apparently the plan is to change it to a double quad and, later, see if a modern Coyote can be massaged in with aid of a dry sump.

Pretty as fug 964 race car. Body is mostly fibreglass and CF, makes so much lateral grip it'll turn your stomach.

Engine dungeon

This place has a lot of Porsches

A lot of Porsches

a lot of porsches

If I get the time this weekend I'll be wetvaccing and re-detailing the DC5 as I haven't cleaned it since last trackday and the combination of driving in sleet, gravel rally tracks and using it to transport tires and ancient engine parts has left it looking like a moth orgy.

Spades fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 10, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Spades posted:

To be sure though, I borrowed a mate's auto pit to flush the trans fluid.

I want mates like that, holy poo poo

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Today we detailed.

As mentioned, since this is my daily driver and general runabout in addition to race car and illegal race car, it tends to get a bit grungy:

Hired a wetvac today and went over everything on the inside, and pulled the floormats out and did them separately. In addition to the wetvac foam I used a spray on lifting upholstery cleaner to get some of the grass stained out of the driver's side mat and the grease stains from the seat bolsters.

Before on the mats:

After: (overcast so it looks a bit dull)

In total, a crapload of filth was extracted

While the upholstery and carpets were drying, I popped the hood.

Engine bays don't really need cleaning, but why not; superficial, non-steam clean later and it's cleaner than the outsides of most cars

Anyway, after photos:

While I was out buying new eyedrops after accidentally spraying degreaser in my eyes, I noticed this when I got back to the z07

Anyway, I picked up some minor amenities for the car too:

A medical kit for when I crash and lose a leg, and

TOWEL R

Also, interesting note - this car was a track day special in Japan, and amongst other things, the red seats and red carpet are actually swap-ins on the car, which originally had black seats and black carpet - they didn't bother doing the door cards. When the owner had the carpets changed, they also had the driver's seat mounted a few inches lower than default, which makes the car a hell of a lot easier to heel toe and gives a better view on the track.

Spades fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 11, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Huh, I always figured Rug Doctor machines were a US-only thing. That waste tank is identical to the one on the last one I rented, except it said "RENT ME" instead of "HIRE ME".

My parents owned a carpet cleaning company when I was growing up, so I've used (and been trained/certified on) commercial and industrial carpet cleaning equipment. The Rug Doctor stuff isn't as good for (household) carpets (but not bad), but for upholstery and cars it's every bit as good as the poo poo the professionals use, assuming you use warm or hot water+chemical mix.

Spades posted:

Engine bays don't really need cleaning, but why not; superficial, non-steam clean later and it's cleaner than the outsides of most cars

I'm pretty OCD about keeping a clean engine bay, personally. Once or twice a year I'll bathe it in degreaser (followed by plain water).

My excuse is that keeping everything clean makes it a lot easier to spot oil leaks immediately.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

I'm pretty OCD about keeping a clean engine bay, personally. Once or twice a year I'll bathe it in degreaser (followed by plain water).

My excuse is that keeping everything clean makes it a lot easier to spot oil leaks immediately.

Which brand of degreaser do you use?

I used a brand of brake cleaner I've come to trust when sprayed on literally anything - the degrease I've got warns to specifically hose it down and not wipe it off, and it seems to leave residue.

Edit: Went for a hardish night drive since I like my fresh detailing wrapped in bugs and brake dust.

Parking garages' flood lightning makes reflections happen.

Spades fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 11, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dang that's a good looking car.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Spades posted:

Hot take: I decided to see how good a mileage I could get by driving the Z06 like a grandma

My supercar gets considerably better gas mileage than my hatchback

I just putted home in sport mode without paying attention and noticed when I stopped at the offramp (about 40 miles later) that I was getting 25.8 MPG.

Lifetime average on the thing hovers just shy of 18mpg though.

But count me in with the "never thought I'd buy a corvette" club. I cross shopped it against a new M4 and Cayman, but it was tough to find a Porche in a manual and I just prefered the character of the C7 over the BMW.

I've since updated the license plate. Since, you know, my backpack's got jets:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Linux Nazi posted:

I've since updated the license plate. Since, you know, my backpack's got jets:

:golfclap:with optional :wtchris:

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Given what mileage the Z06 can manage, I imagine the C7 can practically be classified as an economy car. Looks pretty good though - the white seems to fit the C7 a lot more nicely than it does the Z06.

Minor update also - next time I get some time home I'm thinking of polishing the turd - cleaning out the Commodore and vinylspraying the insides to satin black to hide all the disease then popping the air cleaner, carb and head to bust the rust off and engine enamel them all. Ideally want to sell it for more than the cost of those cans of spraypaint. Prognosis: unlikely.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Spades posted:

Which brand of degreaser do you use?

Whatever they use at the self-service car wash. :cripes:

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Deciding to do something with the disease festival to maybe make it actually sellable without paying somebody to take it, I took a look at it while I was home this weekend.

aaaghh

We wetvacced

And some minor vinyl and carpet refurb was done

Old aircleaner and carb is going to be replaced with a Weber and a Mercedes supercharger will be sandwiched in there, because why not.

Suspension bushings have been replaced, power steering seems to have been instructed to stop leaking successfully. Head needs to be popped off and de-crapped.

Going to degrease/brake clean the entire engine bay and respray it in black.

Also the dashboard needs to be re-fitted since it's missing some parts, the seats need to be replaced and the outside paint will need to be redone

in boatpaint

best of paints

Spades fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 11, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

New seats picked up from a wrecker for about $200 - the ones in the car are too shithouse to respray and finding one that matches the other would require too much work.

Smashed all the plastic fittings (they were brittle enough to break on the slightest torquing anyway) and hit the whole thing with penetrating spray and sandpaper, smacked loose the rails with a rubber mallet and lubed everything up, then bathed it all in brake cleaner and sprayed on some metal paint.

Going to need a bottle jack and a vice to break loose the driver's seat's riser sometime in future as the whole gear winder has completely rusted to a block - a super common occurrence with cheap holden seats.

Tomorrow if it stops raining for the first time this year, going to hit the seats with vinyl spray and blacken them out to fit the rest of the inside.

Also - Supercharger is a little Eaton M82. Hoping that it'll make some boost - the Holden 3.3/202 is a little bigger than the 2.3 Mercedes engines it's usually on but it shouldn't need much work given the compression on the 202 is only a little higher than atmospheric.

Spades fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Result acceptable, time to buy even more vinyl stain though

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
You're doing the lords work here son. Also if you need any more VK parts, you're welcome to anything you can take off mine.

it's upside down about 20m down a bank on the Tapu-Coroglen road

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

slothrop posted:

You're doing the lords work here son. Also if you need any more VK parts, you're welcome to anything you can take off mine.

it's upside down about 20m down a bank on the Tapu-Coroglen road

the natural home of all commodores.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
What the hell is that round, white thing on your storm door?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

What the hell is that round, white thing on your storm door?

Cat or dog door maybe?

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
When I was back in the Bay for a while last weekend I saw an unrusted, uncrashed looking Silvia for sale for $2k, which is a little under half of what most of them seem to sell for.

An auto non-turbo with buggered paint, I figured it was worth doing some quick poking and selling it off again later to some minor profit and the value of the experience itself.

So I put together a list of things to check over for my father to pick the car up in my absence.

Dad received the list, ignored it and bought the car after ascertaining it was roughly the size and shape of a 90's Nissan.

welp, projectCarCount++;

i am going to start investing in boat paint futures

More photos: http://imgur.com/a/MEEhT

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ohhhhh it has Advans too! :neckbeard:

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Silver advans hand painted black, no less

I'm probably going to head to the bay this weekend and see how much I can get done. Going to build a new boot liner and install the new seatbelt.

Also going to try to find some stock Silvia wheels to replace them with so I can go mad with the metal polish and sell them online as refurbs.

Since I haven't actually popped the hubs off I'm kind of apprehensive if I'm going to be met with some horrific cross-drilled five stud/four stud shear-fest, if it's going to be a four stud V2 (Which I don't think exists), or if the car's running five studs after all.

Edit: Super Advans, not V2s. Apparently pretty rare and mechanically very sound wheels but so ugly.

Spades fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 28, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Due to arriving home late and having to fit in 9 hours of work I didn't get most of what I was trying to do, as expected -

Turns out the front fenders can be completely removed from the car without removing the bumper - except that's a lie. The bumper conceals a single bolt for some reason which makes removal of the front fenders impossible. Considering potentially tapping a thread into some metalwork nearby in a location that won't be occluded by the bumper so it's not such a process.

Removed the bumper, found some rust on the mounts (likely caused by the motion in the headlights rubbing the paint off the front clip). Bumper had a crack I hadn't noticed so epoxy welded a metal shim to realign the whole bumper and strengthen it in future.

Bapped the fender dent out and repainted the inside and outside. Used this as a chance to test the boat paint was compatible with the car's old paint - seems to have worked. Will actually use a spray gun next time instead of a brush but a heavy primer layer is needed as the dent carries further than the picture suggest. Do not use a brush for painting a car. You will have a bad time

Polished the headlights to reverse the UV stainage and tried out the new clear coat I bought. Turns out Lyndar clearcoat is absolute loving dog poo poo and not only clouded but also later cracked while setting, giving my headlights the same kind of finish as a broken fishbowl from 1920. Can't be arsed to re-sand and start over so they'll stay horrible for now.

Spades fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 30, 2016

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
I decided to go along to an expedition day to see how the Z06 would do on a glorified indian lap

Whilst doing so the expedition day turned into an actual trackday

And with the Z06, the nice thing is that instead of cursing the semi-slick-clad, caged up bastards with their unfairly power-to-weighted race cars, you just pass all of them and then get bored and pit out

However, it also has put me into the sad contingent of people who have fast cars but no talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbGxS0W1YzU

Also bonus video where I thought my diff had exploded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxxXOuKr_M4

Interestingly for the event though, looking at the attendance I actually had a pretty middle of the road level of power but generally didn't have any trouble in catching up or passing anyone - could either just be being able to put the power down, or just having more of a death wish. I don't think many cars were actually stock with exception of mine.

Spades fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 7, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Love that the traction light is always on. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Some of my passengers on the passenger laps were exciteable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQtEVmjnI3U

• Locked thread