Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Chromium won't, but the steel will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I find out today that my GW 'ardcoat from 10 years ago has solidified into gelatinous cubes. They worked fine 6 months ago, oh well. Is there another company that makes similar gloss brush-on varnish but cheaper (lol)? If not, I don't mind buying GW again, assuming they still have the same quality as they did 10 years ago. The stuff lasts for ages - approximately 9.5 years at that.

I know that the OP lists liquitex as selling varnishes as well but I've never tried them nor have I tried any other company. I want something that acts just like 'Ardcoat but cheaper if I can get it. If not, I'll buy GW.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 5, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'd just go with Liquitex if I were you. I haven't used 'ardcoat, but I'm sure it's almost identical to gloss varnish for artists.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'd just go with Liquitex if I were you. I haven't used 'ardcoat, but I'm sure it's almost identical to gloss varnish for artists.

OK. I already use Liquitex medium for my blending mixes so I trust them. I just wanted recommendations based on how viscous it is, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's all the same thing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

OK. I already use Liquitex medium for my blending mixes so I trust them. I just wanted recommendations based on how viscous it is, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's all the same thing.

Liquitex's gloss medium is "gloss medium & varnish", so I'd assume using it is like using matte medium. However, they also have a line that's just varnish, which I think is sturdier; it specifically says it's "non-removable".

head58
Apr 1, 2013

The Liquitex gloss isn't that thick. The matte on the other hand is almost the consistency of sour cream and tends to gunk up my brush something fierce.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The blending fluid I use is Slow-Dri blending medium - never knew they made an all-in-one. I'll look around for just the varnish.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Chill la Chill posted:

So I find out today that my GW 'ardcoat from 10 years ago has solidified into gelatinous cubes. They worked fine 6 months ago, oh well. Is there another company that makes similar gloss brush-on varnish but cheaper (lol)? If not, I don't mind buying GW again, assuming they still have the same quality as they did 10 years ago. The stuff lasts for ages - approximately 9.5 years at that.

I know that the OP lists liquitex as selling varnishes as well but I've never tried them nor have I tried any other company. I want something that acts just like 'Ardcoat but cheaper if I can get it. If not, I'll buy GW.

Vallejo do good brush-on varnishes, both gloss and matte.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

If this isn't the right place to ask, I apologize. I have tired googling, but apparently haven't got the wording right to get an answer.
How do you do the stringy spit effect from 'Aliens' on a model? I have seen it done on Tyrranids, but can't seem to find a tutorial on it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

People generally use UHU, a brand of glue: http://elementgames.co.uk/forums/how-to-paint-stringy-gore-t243.html

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
So I'm gonna actually write on a Leman Russ, which I'm excited about.

I'm using an ultra fine-point sharpie, and I'm planning on going over it with a dullcoate laquer. How should I go about that?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
First, give the mini plenty of time that the surface is actually dry - preferably a day, at least, since you last applied paint to the area. If the paint is even slightly moist it tends to gunk up your marker. Second, if you gently caress up the actual writing, remember that you can use something like a wet towel to clean it off and try again (after it's dried). Be careful to not touch the area with your fingers or it'll smudge. As for the dullcote, brush-on varnish/lacquer will probably smudge it, so I'd hit it with a spray coat - just like spray-lacquering any other mini. Once it sets the lacquer will protect the writing.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 6, 2016

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014
Shoot, I already bought the non-spray lacquer. Should I wait for it to dry, and THEN do it? Or am I hosed no matter what?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GoodBee posted:

I want someone to start a "Miniature Sell/Trade Agreation Station" thread here on SA and link to it in this thread and all the OPs of other mini games threads. I want that thread to contain links to SA Mart threads for selling lots or allow us to post contact info for small swaps, or bits trades or something. Basically no discussion in the main thread, just info on how to arrange a trade. Let people bump once a month.

The effort that would take to set up isn't worth it to me but I've got a couple of things I'd like to swap eventually and a couple of things I wouldn't mind tossing in the mail for free to someone who can actually use them.

SA had a Sale/Trade thread, but I don't think it got too much traffic. It's unfortunate, and I'd like to see it return as well, as long as people use it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Finished the last of the Masons I have on hand for my Guild Ball team. Now I just need the stupid monkey (drat distributor issues) and I can actually play!

Faces are hard to do. While painting I feel like it contrasts too much but at a distance it looks better, so I guess I should be happy with tabletop distance as that is basically my goal.

Group shot of the 8-man (sans Monkey) Team and Goal Token (Harmony not pictured and on the bench because she is crap, both as a mini and a player). Turned out a bit blurry. Need to figure out how to photograph groups better.

Still need to finish the blue around their bases, but I was interrupted last night.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Brewsuke posted:

Shoot, I already bought the non-spray lacquer. Should I wait for it to dry, and THEN do it? Or am I hosed no matter what?

Give it a day, it'll be fine

Try it on a test piece of you're super worried

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Brewsuke posted:

It probably dependds on the specific marker. Give it plenty of time to dry before you try the brush-on lacquer, and use a very wet brush with very little force.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I like painting pigs

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:hellyeah:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I like painting pigs

I like you painting pigs too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like painting pigs

Wanna pet that pig.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I like painting pigs

drat. This is good on so many levels. Top notch dude.

I really like the green arm.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That pig model made me realize, since I've been painting regularly again and with similar colors, that I color coordinate paint jobs much better by not trying to plan it all out beforehand. I find that I end up freezing and not painting if I try to figure out what colors should be where, but if I just paint I'll figure it out as I go along as elements need to stand out or blend in with other colors.

Do you find that true for your painting, or do you plan it beforehand? Like the arm, I would figure it should stand out (assuming I started with a red body) and go with blue or green depending on if I used that color for a major part yet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I like painting pigs

That's a good looking angry pig. I feel like the green gauntlet is screaming for some freehand on it or something but it's a great paintjob all around.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Depends. Usually I like to plan things out. I make color swatches on my desk. Like I literally just paint blocks of color on my desk. This guy was less planned since I wasn't sure where I was going with the skin. I have actual color swatches on pieces of heavy paper for all my paints, so for this guy after the skin and metals were done I was holding up the model in front of the swatches.

RGB is generally something I'd like to avoid, but since it's an odd red shade pulling in browns, purples, oranges, and yellows I was pretty limited. To make up for that I desaturated the green and blue.

Thanks everbody for the compliments.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
More WIP on this plague monster. I'm not really sure how to make it any more interesting. Maybe some brighter reds in some deep crevices? Right now the bone color gets the point across but I'm not sure about the sinew.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

signalnoise posted:

More WIP on this plague monster. I'm not really sure how to make it any more interesting. Maybe some brighter reds in some deep crevices? Right now the bone color gets the point across but I'm not sure about the sinew.

My first thought is to make some of the muscles stand out with a different colour of red. And/or highlight once or twice more, just lighten up your lightest pink with some bleached bone or white and hit a few of the highest peaks. You could also darken some of the crevasses with a dark wash.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think it'll pop a lot more after you get him on a neutral or subdued base.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I just came across these:

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/content/10-ammo-step-by-step

They refer specifically to using mig products but I'm still finding them useful or interesting to flip through. I've been thinking about buying the pdf versions of the weathering magazines he produces with some other painters.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lethemonster posted:

I just came across these:

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/content/10-ammo-step-by-step

They refer specifically to using mig products but I'm still finding them useful or interesting to flip through. I've been thinking about buying the pdf versions of the weathering magazines he produces with some other painters.

They're pretty awesome magazines. Really inspirational photos and nice tutorials. Just be aware that it's military vehicles for the most part, so you'll get a lot of rust and weathering info.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The magazines are really helpful, and mostly concentrate on the one type of weathering that is the theme of each issue, whether it's dust, rust, grease, water, etc., but by no means are the model builds in each issue limited to just the theme of each issue. The PDFs are about 1/3 to 1/2 the length of a single model build that's featured in the Weathering Magazine, and there are 4-6 model builds in each issue of Weathering Magazine, with I think 4 issues per year. They're about 8 euro each, roughly, so about 10 GBP each with postage or if you get them from a model shop online. I have a subscription, I like them a lot. There's also an aircraft-specific weathering magazine.

If you're in the UK or around scale model shops regularly there's also Tamiya Model Magazine, which I get, that covers a lot of bases from race cars to tanks and planes, but the same publisher puts out Military Model Magazine which is all tanks, and I think they do a military aircraft magazine as well.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did some work on my oath last night, and managed to get my Summoner complete for my frostgrave warband. I'm really pleased with how the stone turned out, and fairly happy with the model itself.

The wash was still drying on the green side of the cthulu rock, which is why it's glossy. it's since dulled.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Oath is coming along nicely. Since it's a one-off model, I wanted to have a crack at some blending as well as the usual edge highlights. Happy with the progress so far!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Recently I got to paint the KS exclusive version of the Hannah model from Malifaux.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Mango Polo posted:

Fishing weights.

Fishing weights to weigh down the base? I never thought of that, that makes sense. I bought some today...

darnon posted:

Privateer Press also sells pewter bases.

...and promptly dropped the finished miniature while I was popping it off my double-sided paintpot stand and allowed it to hit the floor, which caused the plastic base to shatter, while also chipping the flag and making it come lose from it's pin.

Looks like I'll be trying pewter bases after all. :smith:

The flag was the only thing that got damaged in the fall aside from the base, and it looks like it will be easy to fix, so it could have been worse at least.

imperialparadox fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 8, 2016

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Does anyone have experience with ultrasonic cleaners? I was thinking of picking one up to help strip models and as a way to unfuck an airbrush if it comes to that (hopefully it won't).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone have experience with ultrasonic cleaners? I was thinking of picking one up to help strip models and as a way to unfuck an airbrush if it comes to that (hopefully it won't).

I grabbed a mid tier one at a yard sale. They are ok, but I could live without it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

KPC_Mammon posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

They are ok, but I could live without it.

Same thoughts here. When I get a really bad clog with an airbrush I just soak the parts in cellulose thinner and use a stiff boar brush and an old needle to get at the clog. Since the clog is usually in the nozzle, I have a very small glass jar I use to drop that into, and if the paint cup needs attention I have a Doritos salsa jar for soaking larger bits. Cellulose thinner is the 'gently caress you, paint' option of cleaning, it strips everything away.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Started painting Infinity: Operation Icestorm. An excuse to try out & practice wet blending, interested in c&c.

more angles in album here: http://imgur.com/a/GuV9B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Started painting Infinity: Operation Icestorm. An excuse to try out & practice wet blending, interested in c&c.

more angles in album here: http://imgur.com/a/GuV9B

Aren't they chilly?