Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

you do get 2 runs a day without a token, but yeah it will just delay your leveling a bit, maybe a day or two behind a token user

you could grind to make up for it if you really wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Verbose posted:

So, I'm reading conflicting things in this game. Is tanking a thing? Seems like Peliasta is the only tank class....I'm level 18 and have put all my points into CON so far. Should I just start going STR/DEX now?

Traditional MMO tanking isn't a thing in this game, no. most damage is avoidable just by moving out of the way or jumping over stuff. peltasta's usefulness mostly comes from the swashbuckling taunt which lets them pull a room without running around like an idiot and also gets around the aggro cap (characters can only have 5?ish mobs aggroed at any one time normally)

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I wanted do a templar build, it seems like Swordsman -->Peliasta --> Hoplite --> 3 ranks of that cavalry class I can't spell --> templar is good

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Verbose posted:

3 ranks of that cavalry class I can't spell -->

Being able to spell cavalry is a better accomplishment than being able to spell cat-a-fracked.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

YES bread posted:

Traditional MMO tanking isn't a thing in this game, no. most damage is avoidable just by moving out of the way or jumping over stuff. peltasta's usefulness mostly comes from the swashbuckling taunt which lets them pull a room without running around like an idiot and also gets around the aggro cap (characters can only have 5?ish mobs aggroed at any one time normally)

I'll just add that if you're making a swordsman of any type you really should take Peltasta 1. In addition to the taunt, going pelt is the only way to get the "Push C for Shield Guard" thing, the +Evasion skill/attribute, and (iirc) the +block% while using a shield.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Rodelolo also gets active block. But, :laffo:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Optimization time.

Like I had posted before:

quote:

The biggest issue with the current engine was the high number of draw call.

Elentor posted:

1) Most background objects have separate draw calls.
2) Every weapon, shield and more importantly - head accessory - has a separate draw call.
3) Every text and chat bubble has a separate, individual draw call.
(...)

Seems like they cleared most of the issues with that. Depth MRT is pretty nice too. I was worried that their batch of optimizations would be GPU-centric, glad they realized the CPU was the bottleneck.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 30, 2016

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

i don't know wtf is going on here but its got numbers and graphs... holky smokes :pcgaming:

ahahahha

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you plug in a slow usb thumb drive (that has nothing to do with windows/the game on it) the fps will tank and the game will even crash sometimes at random.

No, I am not joking. I can plug in a thumb drive and have 0.75-2 fps steady, unplug it and have 14 fps in the same crowded town channel. I can also leave it plugged in and have 0.75-2 fps for 20+ minutes.

I hope their optimizations also fix whatever ridiculous call they are making that would have that influence framerate on a frame by frame basis.

quote:

draw calls
The actual quantity of their draw calls is no big deal on modern hardware. The issue is they are sending data to the gpu each time, and they are doing it with piddly amounts of data on top of that. Glad they're fixing it somewhat.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 30, 2016

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I think it's cool that they're sharing this detail instead of just giving a vague "performance issues will be addressed in the upcoming patch"

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Elentor posted:

Optimization time.

Like I had posted before:

Seems like they cleared most of the issues with that. Depth MRT is pretty nice too. I was worried that their batch of optimizations would be GPU-centric, glad they realized the CPU was the bottleneck.

fisting by many posted:

I think it's cool that they're sharing this detail instead of just giving a vague "performance issues will be addressed in the upcoming patch"

Agreed. IMC's post on this is so refreshingly transparent that it's making me not feel inadequate about my $2500 PC build anymore. I mean, I have my own reasons for feeling that way but suddenly the world (ok maybe just Tree of Savior) feels like it's going to be okay. :unsmith:

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

I actually find IMC's communication about things really drat refreshing after having dealt with and worked for gaming companies and sites that are overeager to say nothing or smack a NDA on the most trivial of poo poo.
It's not a constant stream of information, but it's enough transparency and clarity that you at least have some idea as to what's up.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

A little pro-tip for when you start running Saalus (lvl 240+)

Mobs are set to the level of highest member in team on instance creation, so if you have the lowest level member enter in a party solo, everyone can rejoin then and crush through against lower lvl mobs. This let's everyone in the 240 to 280 range play together effectively.

1. Everyone in party gathers at saalus.
2. Pass lead to lowest level person.
3. Link the party in party chat for quick join later.
4. Everyone but the leader leaves party.
5. Leader clicks Enter on npc.
6. Once other members see leader disappear, click the party link to rejoin, then click Enter on npc.
7. Enjoy fast and easy clear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

A little pro-tip for when you start running Saalus (lvl 240+)

Mobs are set to the level of highest member in team on instance creation, so if you have the lowest level member enter in a party solo, everyone can rejoin then and crush through against lower lvl mobs. This let's everyone in the 240 to 280 range play together effectively.

1. Everyone in party gathers at saalus.
2. Pass lead to lowest level person.
3. Link the party in party chat for quick join later.
4. Everyone but the leader leaves party.
5. Leader clicks Enter on npc.
6. Once other members see leader disappear, click the party link to rejoin, then click Enter on npc.
7. Enjoy fast and easy clear.

8. Get 2x talt. Weep.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

or 1 of many untradable recipes that are useless for the character you get them on

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

tokomon fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 1, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Honestly the staff seem to be really good-humored, it's nice

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

They're refreshingly transparent about a lot of things, and that's great. It's just a shame that a lot of the base game is completely broken or trash.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Honestly the staff seem to be really good-humored, it's nice

Then IMC perma bans you for using large font while botting only gets you a temp ban.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

after that... she just disappeared, causing the screen to flash white occasionally

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

after that... she just disappeared, causing the screen to flash white occasionally

If you pass this post while scrolling through the thread, you have been visited by the ghost of ~Big Anime~

If you post BIG DESU in this thread then you will be rewarded with many talts.

BIG DESU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

BIG DESU ( ̄▽ ̄)ゞ

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
ビッグです

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Please don't kink shame me silento

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Is this game worth downloading if I am gonna f2p?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ShadowMoo posted:

Is this game worth downloading if I am gonna f2p?

Sure. Also you can buy the 1 month premium tokens ingame with silver, so you don't have to spend any money if you don't want to.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sure. Also you can buy the 1 month premium tokens ingame with silver, so you don't have to spend any money if you don't want to.

This

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
They stopped people from creating new accounts while they deal with the server lag :(

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

ShadowMoo posted:

They stopped people from creating new accounts while they deal with the server lag :(

To IMC's credit the server lag has been reduced greatly from my experience. My charged skills actually match their charge bar now. At least they're making good progress for the re-opening!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kuhmondo posted:

To IMC's credit the server lag has been reduced greatly from my experience. My charged skills actually match their charge bar now. At least they're making good progress for the re-opening!
Does it still lag like hell on sunday/monday until maintenance? I guess this week we won't know because they had a bunch of maints even later into the week.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Khorne posted:

Does it still lag like hell on sunday/monday until maintenance? I guess this week we won't know because they had a bunch of maints even later into the week.

I didn't notice lag at all this weekend or much last weekend. It seems to be doing better but that could be the population dying as well.

Also I love talt.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Khorne posted:

Server seemed fine to me throughout Sunday. Ch1 towns are still fps hell though. Everything was pretty groovy.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
So I wanted to try this game out but I'm guessing it's off Steam for the time being? So much for that. Any advice/tips for when I do get to try it out? There any kind of goon guild to join up to ease the grind and team up for fun and profit?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Danakir posted:

So I wanted to try this game out but I'm guessing it's off Steam for the time being? So much for that. Any advice/tips for when I do get to try it out? There any kind of goon guild to join up to ease the grind and team up for fun and profit?

its off steam until they can fix the lag issues associated with creating new accounts. the goon guild is up but unless someone starts up a new alt or you convince a friend to level with you, youre going to be leveling solo because there's such a wide spread of levels (280 is max)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Just wanted to post this epic thread: https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/no-dungon-cub-drop-im-quit/293077

In other, moderately less exciting news, kTOS added a new gear upgrading system last night. You get the mats from Saaltus Convent (The 240 missions) and it doesn't take potential, I think? The mats are guaranteed drops, btw.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

that will be cool

saalus is actually pretty fun because it works how the missions system should work; randomly picks 1 of 3 available missions when you enter, the objectives are neat, mobs are not HP sponges, bosses are extremely varied

no xp, no silver and everything in the saalus cube being untradable significantly reduces the amount of players that want to regularly run it

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Is the 130 dungeon worth it at all? The xp seems lackluster, and I'm thinking of just running the 90 dungeon for shots at Arde Dagger instead.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009
There are 2 bosses in the 130 dungeon, means you get 2 talts instead of 1.

Also it drops the Petamion recipe, which is quite sought after.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/klaipeda-guild-battle-league/292135

I'm up for it. Anyone else interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Maybe if I had a character high enough

• Locked thread