Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Slung Blade posted:

Is it a job/ticket dispatcher?
Do they already have an OMS, ADMS, or scada system?

He said he's hesitant JESUS CHRIST MAN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dagen H posted:

Which one?

:)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tide posted:

Life on Mars would be like, Tuesday, in Australia.
I had to take a minute to work out what you meant, as my immediate picture was Cat Terrist dressed as Gene Hunt.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tide posted:

Life on Mars would be like, Tuesday, in Australia. So in that respect, the first Mars explorers should be born and bred Australians because they're the only ones that could truly survive in such adversarial landscape.

Given Australia's record with refugees do you really want them to be the ones to colonize our main backup plan if Earth goes tits up though?

E: also imagine Space Bogans

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 5, 2016

T-Square
May 14, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I've had good luck with Napa alternators.

And really bad luck with AutoZone alternators.

:iiam:

Yeah, gently caress Duralast. I did the alt on my old E36 a few years ago in the middle of winter, middle of the night, and when I started it up the alternator belt hopped up and rode the edge of the pulley and started smoking like a son of a bitch. Pulled the new alternator back out again and compared it to the old one. The pulley shaft was like 3/4 of an inch longer than it was supposed to be. Took it back the next day and had them pull another off the shelf and it was the same thing. Got my money back and went down the street to NAPA for a reman.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

gently caress me it is ridiculously nice here today in Iowa.

Wife and baby are out of town for the day, so I get a bachelor day for some day drinking, hot wings, gardening, and car detailing.

Perfect day.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Tommychu posted:

E: also imagine Space Bogans

Starcraft terrans with aussie accents

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Not shockingly trying to get test drives in anything decent is a bit of a task. I assume that they get lots of guys in their early 30s coming in looking for joy rides. The dealer who took my order seemed shocked that I was serious. I was able to get a test drive in what I eventually ordered, Challenger Scat Pack, but it took some arm twisting. No Ford or Chevy dealers would let me in anything with a v8 without an order. Which was fine as I ended up liking the Challenger interior more. That and the sound :getin: .

Rhyno posted:

Don't buy cheap shoes my friends!

Anything under $150 is cheap really. I had some Vans that had the same issue within 4 months. I stick to stuff from The Walking Company or Dr Martins now since they last forever with a bit of leather food.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 5, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So a few weeks ago I started to have a pain in my right foot, just behind my toes on the pad. It wasn't very intense but it made putting my full weight on it a bit rough. I'd been taking it easy since but I couldn't figure out what I did to cause this. I switched out the extra support pads for a new pair which helped a bit but my foot still ached. Then yesterday the sole of the shoe loving split open on me. It looks like the the inner sole had become exposed to water through a small split and it saturated over time and just failed completely. Bought a new pair of sneakers today and the firm support is already noticeable.

Don't buy cheap shoes my friends!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I walk a lot for work and my go to is New Balance running shoes with Superfeet inserts.

The Dr.Scholls inserts are garbage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I walk a lot for work and my go to is New Balance running shoes with Superfeet inserts.

Their cheap stuff is, the ones you get from the kiosk that measures your feet's pressure points are great and last for a long time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

leica posted:

I've tried a lot of different shoes (many of them definitely *not* cheap), and the only ones I can stand are New Balance. Sucks spending $150 for a pair of sneakers, but not nearly as much as it sucks to have hurting feet all the time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BigPaddy posted:

Not shockingly trying to get test drives in anything decent is a bit of a task. I assume that they get lots of guys in their early 30s coming in looking for joy rides. The dealer who took my order seemed shocked that I was serious. I was able to get a test drive in what I eventually ordered, Challenger Scat Pack, but it took some arm twisting. No Ford or Chevy dealers would let me in anything with a v8 without an order.

That's odd. The only things I've never been able to test drive (V-8 wise) were car's that they simply didn't have to let me test drive (like a GT-350 for example). I could test-drive Mustang GT's or V8 Camaro's at pretty much any dealer around, it's never been a problem.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

Not shockingly trying to get test drives in anything decent is a bit of a task. I assume that they get lots of guys in their early 30s coming in looking for joy rides. The dealer who took my order seemed shocked that I was serious. I was able to get a test drive in what I eventually ordered, Challenger Scat Pack, but it took some arm twisting. No Ford or Chevy dealers would let me in anything with a v8 without an order. Which was fine as I ended up liking the Challenger interior more. That and the sound :getin: .

When I was ~25 I took my dad along and didn't have any problem testing a 5.0 mustang when the new ones came out. They had a specific route I had to drive though that was all right turns, and just as I left the lot some worthless parking cop with yellow lights pulled in behind us so the salesman was panicked.

I bought a used E46 instead.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My Challenger test drive was about 10 miles of a mix of roads including some i95 so I was able to get a better feel for the car. The guy also owned a Sublime Green SRT so knew about the car and egged me on to floor it. I got V6 test drives for the others but yes they were around the block basically which is worthless.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Locator posted:

I've tried a lot of different shoes (many of them definitely *not* cheap), and the only ones I can stand are New Balance. Sucks spending $150 for a pair of sneakers, but not nearly as much as it sucks to have hurting feet all the time.

Try the Superfeet inserts and have the best loving shoes ever http://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Blu...words=superfeet

Spent all day putting up shelves in my laundry room yay! Love when the entire weekend is taken up by projects :smith:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

leica posted:

Try the Superfeet inserts and have the best loving shoes ever http://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Blu...words=superfeet

I've never had any luck with inserts, but I'll give those a try.

---------------

Test drive stuff - when I was shopping for my Focus, I said I was concerned about the comfort of the Recaro seats over longer drives, since I have a 1 hour+ commute. They tossed me the keys to an ST-3 and said to make sure I got back before they closed. This was at about 1pm. I drove it for about 90 minutes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The in town Ford dealerships used to be very laid back about test drives but since they were rebranded as "Bob Thomas" dealers they're super restrictive.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Red Wings makes some heat moldable ones that are also supposed to be good. I've yet to try them so I can't comment on them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigPaddy posted:

My Challenger test drive was about 10 miles of a mix of roads including some i95 so I was able to get a better feel for the car. The guy also owned a Sublime Green SRT so knew about the car and egged me on to floor it. I got V6 test drives for the others but yes they were around the block basically which is worthless.

Go to the Ford and Chevy dealers and do sick burnouts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigPaddy posted:

Anything under $150 is cheap really. I had some Vans that had the same issue within 4 months. I stick to stuff from The Walking Company or Dr Martins now since they last forever with a bit of leather food.

I tend to average $75-100 for basic white sneakers. My Docs are awesome but I rarely wear them. The shoes I wore out were some basic Lugz white sneakers that were really comfortable back when I started wearing them. So much so that I kept rebuying the same style over and over until I couldn't find them anymore. This pair was the 8th and only one to every fail so quickly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

leica posted:

Spent all day putting up shelves in my laundry room yay! Love when the entire weekend is taken up by projects :smith:

Here's a really dumb question -- when you buy shoe inserts, are you supposed to trim them to fit the inside of your shoe? How much fiddling does that usually take?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've bought 4 pairs of inserts and never had to trim one.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, the float tank was amazing.

I have never in my life felt that relaxed and just...calm. plus the owner was cool as poo poo, and it was just the most relaxing place I think I've ever been. I can't wait to go again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Here's a really dumb question -- when you buy shoe inserts, are you supposed to trim them to fit the inside of your shoe? How much fiddling does that usually take?

I usually get the Scholls ones off the shelf and trim them. I just take the old sole out from the shoe, trace it onto the new insert and trim. They work but they break down shortly before the shoe (I prefer Puma, especially old man slip ons) does.

Maybe I should try the foot number machine or Superfeet? Birkenstocks don't work for me very well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I usually get the Scholls ones off the shelf and trim them. I just take the old sole out from the shoe, trace it onto the new insert and trim. They work but they break down shortly before the shoe (I prefer Puma, especially old man slip ons) does.

Maybe I should try the foot number machine or Superfeet? Birkenstocks don't work for me very well.

The Dr Scholls machine is pretty sweet and since I started wearing the arch support ones (440 i think) my foot pain has mostly gone away. Until the shoe collapse anyways!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah I use the knee support ones now. Maybe there's a better one for me. I'll give it a try when I wear out these babies.

Sure wish Puma would bring back the tan El Reys. That was the best shoe ever unless you like walking on ice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah I use the knee support ones now. Maybe there's a better one for me. I'll give it a try when I wear out these babies.

Sure wish Puma would bring back the tan El Reys. That was the best shoe ever unless you like walking on ice.

My favorite shoes ever was a pair of Airwalks I owned like 15 years ago. Cushiest soles ever and really high grade leather for the time. It's sucks that the brand has become a Payless Shoes house brand.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I wear Reef flip flops, cowboy boots, and asic running shoes for PT, and converse occasionally.

The only one that hurts my back/knees are the running shoes :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do you guys recognize this?:

I didn't, and burned the poo poo out of my finger poking the tip. I guess it's an antenna for something?
Probably shouldn't be on an airport gate counter where someone could touch it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

iwentdoodie posted:

So, the float tank was amazing.

I have never in my life felt that relaxed and just...calm. plus the owner was cool as poo poo, and it was just the most relaxing place I think I've ever been. I can't wait to go again.

Told you so :haw:

I try to hit my local one once a quarter. Was the one you went to saltwater?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I want to try one myself. Maybe I can sweet talk my wife into a trip for my birthday...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Locator posted:

I've never had any luck with inserts, but I'll give those a try.

You have to acclimate your feet a bit, like use them for a few hours then take them out, gradually extending the time over about a week or two. If you go right into it your feet will tire out. When I first started I didn't think they would work but once my feet were acclimated I was golden.

Safety Dance posted:

Mine fit right in, but yeah there's room for trimming. Also I got mine at a local retail store so I was able to see which ones fit, might wanna find out if somebody sells them locally so there's no guessing because shoe sizes run so different.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I wear a 5 or 6 year old pair of Sambas that are worn to poo poo and falling apart, but I love them. Like walking barefoot :v:

Also, like 2 years late to the party, but holy poo poo the church scene in Kingsman :aaa:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

leica posted:

You have to acclimate your feet a bit, like use them for a few hours then take them out, gradually extending the time over about a week or two. If you go right into it your feet will tire out. When I first started I didn't think they would work but once my feet were acclimated I was golden.

Good to know, maybe that's why I've never been able to get them to work for me. You'd think that the staff at a specialized shoe store that is more than happy to sell the expensive inserts would have suggested that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

T-Square posted:

Also, like 2 years late to the party, but holy poo poo the church scene in Kingsman :aaa:

That movie was way better than it should've been. Now I want to watch it again.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Goober Peas posted:

Told you so :haw:

I try to hit my local one once a quarter. Was the one you went to saltwater?

I'm going to try and go once a month. And yeah, afaik they're all salt water.

The owner/operator was awesome. I was the last one of the day, and when I walked out he was watching UFC 199, and we just chilled and watched the last two fights and drank some tea.

I seriously cannot wait to go again. I'm not a new agey guy, but that poo poo works.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm thinking of getting a cheap truck to help with some of my home DIY projects and misc hauling. Has anyone else done this, or do you just rent one when you need one? It's kind of a hassle to go to Home Depot or another rental place and wait in line, fill out the paperwork, fill up the truck, etc, especially since the location isn't convenient to me, but owning a beater truck probably isn't the most convenient either.

If you recommend buying, what's the best value out there? 4WD would be nice so I could use it as a snow beater, but even then, this truck would only see about 2 weeks use/year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can any of your fleet tow? I did the beater truck for a while with my Ranger but honestly I prefer having a Grand Cherokee that can tow, so I just rent Uhaul trailers when I need to move something too big for it. And the rest of the time, the WJ is far nicer to drive and more capable in just about every measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

BigPaddy posted:

My local Ford dealer was pushing me to test drives mustang GTs when I was just kicking tires long before I put in an order. It has to be a local thing.
But also to be fair, I knew my poo poo on stats and it was 2014s they were pushing me towards, before the 2015s were out. I'd also test driven the Escape and Focus STs. Odd mix. :)

Rhyno posted:

I tend to average $75-100 for basic white sneakers. My Docs are awesome but I rarely wear them. The shoes I wore out were some basic Lugz white sneakers that were really comfortable back when I started wearing them. So much so that I kept rebuying the same style over and over until I couldn't find them anymore. This pair was the 8th and only one to every fail so quickly.
I wear cheap as poo poo slip ons daily, when I replace them this time I'm probably going to spring for Allen Edmonds. Tired of replacing them every 4-8 months when the sole cracks wide open, even if they only cost $30.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 6, 2016

• Locked thread