Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She also came back in a later episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

She also came back in a later episode

But why wait to see what the show does later when you can complain about it now?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was watching the Twilight Zone episode "Person or Persons Unknown" about a guy who wakes up in a world where nobody recognizes him. The funny thing is in the end he wakes up and his wife is a different person, except this new wife is much better looking than his old one. So maybe he should just kind of accept it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
imo the "killing our gays" TV thing recently, which did get horrifyingly bad in the last year or two to an historically unprecedented level, is a convergence of three factors. I can't completely take credit for it, it's kind of summarizing ideas from a Vox article.

1. TV writers are responding to pushes for greater representation in media, because it brings in passionate and enthusiastic fans, it offers new story possibilities, and it signals that they are good progressive people (which is not a bad thing as long as they're sincere, I just think a lot of them aren't)

2. Game of Thrones and a few other shows inspired writers to use death more in their storytelling, seeing that the "Anyone Can Die" aesthetic brings in a lot of viewers, and shock deaths are easy sources of dramatic tension. This has been taken to absurd extremes in the last TV season.

3. Most TV writers are still white straight men, which doesn't have to be a problem, but it mostly is because they have no perspective on their own writing, and put straight white male characters at the center of their narratives. Failing that, they put in straight white women, or straight black men. Because female, non-white, and LGBT characters tend to be supporting characters, they're expendable, from a showrunning perspective. They're not directly killed off due to those characteristics, but those characteristics put them in a position where it's easy for a writer to kill them off.

#1 is a positive development, it's just unfortunate that it's coincided with #2, which is an annoying trend we'll all be glad to see the back of, I think. and #3 is possible to remedy, both through more diverse writers' rooms, and through people learning that "write what you know" is not an ironclad rule, but at the same time that writing what you don't know does require research. So writers should write gay characters into their shows, but they should talk to actual gay people first, and while the show is running gauge fan reaction and try to understand what those characters mean to the fans, so when it comes time to say "okay, someone's dying in this season finale" they know what the consequences are going to be if they choose the gay character to kill off. and I'm not calling for a moratorium on killing off gay characters (though, wait maybe I am?), but from interviews I've read, it seems like a lot of these showrunners are talking a big talk about respecting the fans and such; but if you read between the lines a bit it becomes clear they didn't really put that much thought into it, or understand the consequences ahead of time.

The 100 showrunners unquestionably hosed up in numerous ways that should serve as a teaching moment to everyone in the industry.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this? posted:

I was watching the Twilight Zone episode "Person or Persons Unknown" about a guy who wakes up in a world where nobody recognizes him. The funny thing is in the end he wakes up and his wife is a different person, except this new wife is much better looking than his old one. So maybe he should just kind of accept it.

Yeah but he new wife gave terrible head.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

imo the "killing our gays" TV thing recently, which did get horrifyingly bad in the last year or two to an historically unprecedented level, is a convergence of three factors. I can't completely take credit for it, it's kind of summarizing ideas from a Vox article.

1. TV writers are responding to pushes for greater representation in media, because it brings in passionate and enthusiastic fans, it offers new story possibilities, and it signals that they are good progressive people (which is not a bad thing as long as they're sincere, I just think a lot of them aren't)

2. Game of Thrones and a few other shows inspired writers to use death more in their storytelling, seeing that the "Anyone Can Die" aesthetic brings in a lot of viewers, and shock deaths are easy sources of dramatic tension. This has been taken to absurd extremes in the last TV season.

3. Most TV writers are still white straight men, which doesn't have to be a problem, but it mostly is because they have no perspective on their own writing, and put straight white male characters at the center of their narratives. Failing that, they put in straight white women, or straight black men. Because female, non-white, and LGBT characters tend to be supporting characters, they're expendable, from a showrunning perspective. They're not directly killed off due to those characteristics, but those characteristics put them in a position where it's easy for a writer to kill them off.

#1 is a positive development, it's just unfortunate that it's coincided with #2, which is an annoying trend we'll all be glad to see the back of, I think. and #3 is possible to remedy, both through more diverse writers' rooms, and through people learning that "write what you know" is not an ironclad rule, but at the same time that writing what you don't know does require research. So writers should write gay characters into their shows, but they should talk to actual gay people first, and while the show is running gauge fan reaction and try to understand what those characters mean to the fans, so when it comes time to say "okay, someone's dying in this season finale" they know what the consequences are going to be if they choose the gay character to kill off. and I'm not calling for a moratorium on killing off gay characters (though, wait maybe I am?), but from interviews I've read, it seems like a lot of these showrunners are talking a big talk about respecting the fans and such; but if you read between the lines a bit it becomes clear they didn't really put that much thought into it, or understand the consequences ahead of time.

The 100 showrunners unquestionably hosed up in numerous ways that should serve as a teaching moment to everyone in the industry.

I mean, here's the problem: If your protagonist is a homosexual, then killing off their significant other means killing of a homosexual character. That's what happened in the 100. They made Clark bisexual. This should be considered a win. They killed off Clark's boyfriend. Then she got a girlfriend. Guess what happened? Turns out you can't be "The Commander of Death" who kills hundreds of people every season and not make some enemies who kill the people you love.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Spatula City posted:

Except they haven't really? I mean, they hosed up in certain ways, but not in terms of representation. They actually seem to go out of their way to have minority characters on the show that aren't just expendable parts. Season 3 was problematic in its pacing, always putting plot ahead of character, but they've had plenty of non-minority deaths before Lexa was killed off. Her death wasn't a one-off raising the stakes either, it was hugely important in moving forward the season meta-arc and was a moment that started to join the 3 disparate plot threads running until then.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The teaching moment? Don't kill off homosexual characters like they were hetrosexual characters. They need special significance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The teaching moment was don't write gay characters in a show where people die. No one flips out when you kill a straight character.

Your best option is to write a show with a female lead and kill off her male love interests as needed. Anything else will be considered a fuckup.

edit: In case it's somehow not clear, I don't think this is how it should be, but it certainly the lesson I would learn. It used to be risky to write homosexual characters because conservative audiences would be shocked/offended. Now it's dangerous to write them because vocal minorities will rip your head off for not doing it right. The big safe majority audience doesn't care either way.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 5, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spatula City posted:

It doesn't really matter because tumblr/reddit explode at the drop of a hat so if a gay character dies, even for well scripted, well thought out reasons the internet brigade will explode and call the show-runners modern day nazis and demand a boycott. You literally can't win with these people so its not worth trying to appease them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Kids, you tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." :D

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any easy way to skip the mediocre Vikings stuff and just get to when it starts being great? Or do you definitely need to watch it all?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You need to watch it all and none of it is mediocre. The entire show is built on character motivations that begin in episode one and play out through the entire series. Skipping it would be a bad decision because it's good and because it's important.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

A thing I learned from the response to PoI is that apparently some of these shippers don't even watch the show outside of the scenes with their favorite pairing, which seems absolutely absurd.

People complaining about a website they don't read vs. people complaining about a show they don't watch.

Whoever wins, nobody cares.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Netflix can go to hell for putting the entire latest season of Peaky Blinders on American Netflix before it finishes in the UK and breaking all the proxies

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

X-O posted:

You need to watch it all and none of it is mediocre. The entire show is built on character motivations that begin in episode one and play out through the entire series. Skipping it would be a bad decision because it's good and because it's important.

I have really enjoyed Vikings. It gets a little soapy, but not bad. Watch it. Everyone. Now.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

hope and vaseline posted:

Except they haven't really? I mean, they hosed up in certain ways, but not in terms of representation. They actually seem to go out of their way to have minority characters on the show that aren't just expendable parts. Season 3 was problematic in its pacing, always putting plot ahead of character, but they've had plenty of non-minority deaths before Lexa was killed off. Her death wasn't a one-off raising the stakes either, it was hugely important in moving forward the season meta-arc and was a moment that started to join the 3 disparate plot threads running until then.

Their real gently caress-up was in how they engaged with the fan community, and how they seemed to underestimate just how mad people would be. To me it seemed like they made the decision purely based on the needs of the plot without realizing just how much it'd piss off fans. They're operating on an older paradigm of storytelling where the story takes total primacy over not alienating the fanbase. Their commitment to representation is commendable, and the lesson isn't no representation, or not even "don't kill off gay characters". The lesson is to be very, very careful in dealing with fans, and if you're trying to actively engage with fans and have a closer relationship with them, it can't be superficial. You have to factor them into even your decisions about plot. Too often in general, authors don't ask themselves "how are my readers going to respond to this?", and the same goes for showrunners. This issue is especially critical when it comes to the treatment of LGBT characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Creators should never ever be beholden to fans. And the attitude that fans take these days that they should have some kind of say in what happens in the things they like is ridiculous. The only thing worse is the creators that cave to this kind of thing because it makes them more popular on Twitter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some of those fans (claim to) started watching Fear the Walking Dead instead, so joke's on them forever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

Creators should never ever be beholden to fans. And the attitude that fans take these days that they should have some kind of say in what happens in the things they like is ridiculous. The only thing worse is the creators that cave to this kind of thing because it makes them more popular on Twitter.

I still can't believe that season 3 of Hannibal actually worked "murder husbands" into the script.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Some of those fans (claim to) started watching Fear the Walking Dead instead, so joke's on them forever.

Did they swear off that show when they killed off a gay love interest on it this season? Or did it not count?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They should just do that every season, have a new love interest for Clarke and kill them off in increasingly gruesome ways.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm about to wrap up my binge of Fringe (got about 3 episodes to go). Am I correct that it was popular in here back when it was airing?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wouldn't say popular, but it was very well liked among those that watched it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I wouldn't say popular, but it was very well liked among those that watched it.

John Noble's emotional scenes can be very tear-jerking, he's a joy to watch. Anna Torv has the acting range of a 2x4 which tends to drag Olivia centric episodes down a bit.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

I'm about to wrap up my binge of Fringe (got about 3 episodes to go). Am I correct that it was popular in here back when it was airing?

To find a Fringe fan in TVIV would certainly be a trek, it wasn't very popular.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fringe had huge threads (created by Aatrek with tons of gifs)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

To find a Fringe fan in TVIV would certainly be a trek, it wasn't very popular.

Nah, I remember the threads.

Mu Zeta posted:

Fringe had huge threads (created by Aatrek with tons of gifs)

Yeah. gently caress.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also Fringe gets really fun near the end of season 1. Until then it feels like a boring, cheaper X-Files knockoff and then the show goes full wacky.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Also Fringe gets really fun near the end of season 1. Until then it feels like a boring, cheaper X-Files knockoff and then the show goes full wacky.

Season 2 is bonkers as hell and I loved nearly every episode.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

As someone whose working his way through X-Files for the first time since it originally aired, Fringe is much more refined and exciting.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

John Noble's emotional scenes can be very tear-jerking, he's a joy to watch. Anna Torv has the acting range of a 2x4 which tends to drag Olivia centric episodes down a bit.

She ended up being pretty good.

Fringe owned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tortolia posted:

She ended up being pretty good.

Fringe owned.

She does get better but nothing ground breaking. Lance Reddick is always a joy to watch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

As someone whose working his way through X-Files for the first time since it originally aired, Fringe is much more refined and exciting.

In some ways, yes. But Fringe also has very few actually interesting ideas. A lot of the episodes are really straightforward monster of the week poo poo with the most predictable resolution. Fringe definitely has some really good episodes that are interesting, and X-Files has plenty of boring episodes, but X-Files has a lot more just loving weird poo poo. X-Files also has a greater variety of tones, in my opinion. Fringe definitely has humor, but, off the top of my head, I don't really remember any comedy episodes. Fringe feels like a very effective, somewhat safe, modern update of X-Files, at least in the beginning, before it goes all crazy arc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the full run of the show there are more "ho-hum" episodes of X-Files than great ones.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The latter third of Season 1 through the Season 3 finale was incredible. Some of the most fun and exhilarating TV I've ever watched. I felt that the major status quo changes in Season 4 and especially 5 weren't the greatest, but it was still better than most other shows of its type. I'll argue in favor of Anna Torv's acting any day (especially the joyful "Faux-livia"), and that it was a more enjoyable show than X-Files.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rhyno posted:

Season 2 is bonkers as hell and I loved nearly every episode.

I liked random religious agent that showed up for a couple of episodes and then just completely disappeared.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The latter third of Season 1 through the Season 3 finale was incredible. Some of the most fun and exhilarating TV I've ever watched. I felt that the major status quo changes in Season 4 and especially 5 weren't the greatest, but it was still better than most other shows of its type. I'll argue in favor of Anna Torv's acting any day (especially the joyful "Faux-livia"), and that it was a more enjoyable show than X-Files.

The rewritten timeline is a bit headache inducing if you didn't pay very close attention to every second of the prior seasons. Like I said, I have 4 episodes to go and I need one more thing to happen for me to be satisfied with the series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anna Torv is pretty unremarkable in season one and the wider opinion is by season three she's great and one of the highlights of the show and continues to be great through the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

In the full run of the show there are more "ho-hum" episodes of X-Files than great ones.

No, I agree with that. But I don't Fringe has the spectrum of weird and interesting that X-Files does, either. Fringe is a shorter, more focused, and generally more modern show.

I love X-Files, but I doubt I would recommend it to the average tv watcher today.

• Locked thread