Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Elfgames posted:

I don't care what color he is but i wanted to see a dude with ten magical rings fight iron man.

Also a Space Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

a space dragon was in the avengers

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Fin Fang Foom, he play joke, he put pee pee in your coke

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

ESPECIALLY his rogues gallery.

The best iteration of Iron Man's rogues gallery is from Iron Man Armored Adventures about Teenage Tony Stark

What I'm trying to say is Iron Man has lovely villains

The Mandarin armor from that show was rad as hell

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvXf7_YXw7Q&t=605s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Love the Mandarin score

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just realized the bad guy in Deadpool was the original Daario on Game of Thrones :aaa:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The best thing about comic book Mandarin is that his ten magic rings are like:

1. fire
2. ice
3. total disintegration
4. lightning
5. mind control
6. matter transfiguration
7. light
...etc. Real good wizard feel.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Upon rewatch with the commentary, I have a greater understanding of Deadpool's success, but it still doesn't quite click for me.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Skipopatomus posted:

Fin Fang Foom, he play joke, he put pee pee in your coke

Lol flashback to grade school

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Skipopatomus posted:

Fin Fang Foom, he play chance, he put Boom-Boom in his pants

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Burkion posted:

ESPECIALLY his rogues gallery.

Stark's true rogue gallery has always been Tony Stark followed by (and usually including) whiskey, vodka and whatever other alcohol he's hitting this week.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I would've said, hubris, liquor and shortsightedness, in that order.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I watched TMNT2 last night. Is a decent movie but I had more fun with the previous one.

This movie is just as the trailers showed up, pretty much just a two hour episode of the old 1987 cartoon with everything that entails. Most of the characters are pretty flat (Krang in particular is just a generic Doomsday Villian) and aside of the Turtles, all the returning characters barely have a role or a characterization to speak of.

The new characters are also unevenly handled. Bebop and Rocksteady are the ones who recieve the most focus and while they don't have a character arc to speak of (they just love to stir poo poo up) they are pretty drat entertaining and they steal the show of every scene they're in. Stockman is also a generic crazy scientist guy but his actor was clearly having too much fun chewing the scene at every opportunity.

Now Casey Jones is weird case. The character has little to do with his comic book counterpart and by the most part I feel like I was just seeing Amell playing himself in the movie (not that he had a lot of material to work with, mind you) and the change to the character's backstory (he is a rookie police officer) could bring interesting ways to develop the character but the plot doesn't do anything with it.

The effects are pleasing to the eye but when the scene is focused just in the CG characters, is hard to feel like watching a videogame cutscene rather than a Live-action movie. The action is also kind of dull compared with the previous movie, for example, the fight against Krang is very inferior to the fight against Shredder.

People at my showing was laughing non stop at the humor of the movie but is something I don't think will stand multiple viewings.

I enjoy the old cartoons as much as the next guy, but I think they tried too hard into emulate that tone to make this movie memorable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I like how nobody is talking about X-Men. What a terrible movie. To me it felt like the series finale of a TV show I didn't even like. It was X3 levels of bad.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's the meaning behind Apocalypse's "All is revealed."? Is it a thing he says in the comics, is it something all Phoenix's kills say, or was he realizing his purpose wasn't to rule the mutants but to unleaded Phoenix? So he lets himself be killed?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I assumed it was just to sound vaguely menacing like most of his lines.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Some of the special effects in the film were super bad as well. Like the scenes where it was a dock being destroyed looked terrible.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

What's the meaning behind Apocalypse's "All is revealed."? Is it a thing he says in the comics, is it something all Phoenix's kills say, or was he realizing his purpose wasn't to rule the mutants but to unleaded Phoenix? So he lets himself be killed?

The meaning is that there will be an X-Men 7 and it will feature Jean getting to Phoenix out.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Facebook tidbits from some con this weekend.

AC posted:

"Well, first of all she'd be turning over in her grave," Atwell said, with a grin. "She'd be like 'no.' And she'd inject herself with the blue serum and become a super villain. She'd break out of her coffin and ground [Sharon]. She'd ground her. Then she'd kick Steve's rear end as well."

Atwell continued "I just feel that, you know - I wouldn't want to date my great aunt's guy. It just feels like it crosses an incestuous boundary. And Peggy just died. That's even more disrespectful, right? It's like, 'don't touch that."' You can't tap that!"

Thor 3 posted:

Hemsworth revealed at the convention that the next Thor film will be more adventurous and with even more of a humorous slant. ...

“Man, it is a lot of fun. I think tonally it’s a big shift in a great way, more than anything we’ve seen before. Taika Waititi, the director, if you know any of his work, he’s just an incredible sort of comedic talent a lot of heart in everything he does. It’s a very different Thor, it’s a different Loki; we go off on another world that we haven’t experienced before. It’s fun, but that’s me skirting around the issue because I can’t say too much.”

SS test screening posted:

“You will like every single member of the Squad, with Harley (obviously) stealing the show. She’s a star and everyone will love her. This is the type of movie that demands a sequel. I’m sure critics will find ways to hate it (it’s basically a gritty action movie with comic book characters and a Hot Topic aesthetic, which honestly might turn critics off), but DC fans will like it. The BIG thing is that the movie literally saves DCEU Batman. This Batman is BTAS personified.”

lol posted:

The crowd’s reaction at the mention of Scott Pilgrim is evidence that Evans isn’t the only person who remembers that work in that movie, either. Evan’s Civil War co-star Anthony Mackie, though, had a different suggestion as to who should play the role:

“I think they should go outside the box and cast, like, a dude as Captain Marvel.”

The crowd’s boos indicated that they were definitely not on board that idea. Mackie was clearly joking about the suggestion, though, and the rest of the panel laughed it off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm 100% okay with the idea of Thor and Hulk in Space Buddy Comedy.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

quote:

"Well, first of all she'd be turning over in her grave," Atwell said, with a grin. "She'd be like 'no.' And she'd inject herself with the blue serum and become a super villain. She'd break out of her coffin and ground [Sharon]. She'd ground her. Then she'd kick Steve's rear end as well."

Atwell continued "I just feel that, you know - I wouldn't want to date my great aunt's guy. It just feels like it crosses an incestuous boundary. And Peggy just died. That's even more disrespectful, right? It's like, 'don't touch that."' You can't tap that!"

Finally, someone said it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Steve and Peggy, what, kissed once? I get that those sort of near-misses can be heightened in reflection by never having had to face any of the mundanities of reality, but it was a mutual crush as a distraction from the horrors of WW2, not some great romance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Steve and Peggy, what, kissed once? I get that those sort of near-misses can be heightened in reflection by never having had to face any of the mundanities of reality, but it was a mutual crush as a distraction from the horrors of WW2, not some great romance.

Well, Sharon was spying on Steve in Winter Soldier, so she probably would have known that he was visiting Peggy.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that they are pursuing the Sharon Carter thing, and that Sharon Carter Is EVEN a thing, is one of the dumbest, shittiest stories they could pick from the comics.

Just have her be ANY unrelated agent. Rogers boner does not need to be fed a strictly Carter and Bucky diet

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

Well, Sharon was spying on Steve in Winter Soldier, so she probably would have known that he was visiting Peggy.

Yeah, they were in the war together. I'm sure if Tommy Lee Jones were in the hospital he'd visit him too. Dude even visited Arnim Zola, and they were on opposing sides.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They clearly just kissed because the studio was uncomfortable with how Bucky and Cap kept looking at each other.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Burkion posted:

The fact that they are pursuing the Sharon Carter thing, and that Sharon Carter Is EVEN a thing, is one of the dumbest, shittiest stories they could pick from the comics.

Just have her be ANY unrelated agent. Rogers boner does not need to be fed a strictly Carter and Bucky diet

It's not his fault the Super Soldier Serum's interaction with his patriotism did weird things to his dick. Now he can only get going with people who have the same name as a US President. Why do you think his first new friend of the 21st Century was named Wilson?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Speaking of XMen Apocalypse, I just saw this scene posted on Imgur: http://i.imgur.com/Gmfvo0h.webm

Nice to see the tradition of these new films having terrible CG still upheld.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
But... that was actually the best part of the whole movie? I thought it was excellently done.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of XMen Apocalypse, I just saw this scene posted on Imgur: http://i.imgur.com/Gmfvo0h.webm

Nice to see the tradition of these new films having terrible CG still upheld.

It's way more ambitious than the scene in DOFP, I'll give them that. Give that guy his own movie and call it The Wizard Of Speed And Time.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So does Apocalypse do a better job than DoFP of explaining why Quicksilver doesn't just solve every X-Men problem ever?

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Not really, in fact, the scenes from that and DoFP bugged me because of that exact reason. They're neat aesthetically and are fun, but they just highlight the absurdity of his powers RE: the rest of the mutants.

Later on, he tries the same thing with Apocalypse and gets dunked on, but it never quite feels like he earns both doing that poo poo and getting clowned on by the villain,. Can't have it both ways and have it really work or resonate or w/e.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm going to spoiler this but Quicksilver does take on Apocalypse. Pietro starts whacking him around but Apocalypse is manages to track Quicksilver's legs and movement and creates some kind of extrusion from the ground that nabs his leg. Then when Pietro can't escape, Apocalypse in real time breaks his other leg and takes him out of the fight.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Which is another thing that bugs me. Apocalypse is shown effortlessly and ruthlessly slaughtering people left and right, but for some reason he never goes for the killing blow when it comes to main characters. Magneto was just all over the place, his motivations made no sense. There's a lot of scenes of him frowning.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If Quicksilver is able to move at that speed and fidelity there should be nothing that should stop him outside of maybe a psychic attack.

He should be able to see any attack coming regardless of the fact that it's going on at his trajectory and just dodge it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter kiss in Civil War is the "No Homo" film kiss.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Evans is totally into it.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Evans is totally into it.

Why isn't this posted every third post cause seriously that is amazing.

• Locked thread