Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Can someone explain me the lore part where Pandemonium lords are mad that I steal the orb but then somehow an archangel hitmen squad is on my six?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
angels are jerks and losers

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

kalstrams posted:

Can someone explain me the lore part where Pandemonium lords are mad that I steal the orb but then somehow an archangel hitmen squad is on my six?

Hit squad from the Holy Pandemonium floor.

No, really.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Hit squad from the Holy Pandemonium floor.

No, really.
Oh well, had seraph and 8 more people appear during descent, though mostly got away unscathed, bar a handful of torments and one persistent pan lord that I juked by accidentally running into a teleport trap that landed me next to an upwards staircase half a map away from it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Unimpressed posted:

Just saw this on Gamers With Jobs, a scroll of acquirement decision tree.

Do you worship Trog? Y --> Acquire book

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I acquire weapon early on, armor otherwise unless I'm totally stacked in terms of armor, then I get wands. that's it

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I was in agreement that Malmutate sucks but I've been playing a lot lately and I just don't see it as problem anymore, certainly not to the extent it's being implied here. Even if I disregard all the easy ways of countering it like breaking LoS, drowning the mutator in summons or using an antimagic weapon, I've been finding so many cure mutation potions that I've never had a major problem since the amulet was removed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

balways bequire barmor

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

I was in agreement that Malmutate sucks but I've been playing a lot lately and I just don't see it as problem anymore, certainly not to the extent it's being implied here. Even if I disregard all the easy ways of countering it like breaking LoS, drowning the mutator in summons or using an antimagic weapon, I've been finding so many cure mutation potions that I've never had a major problem since the amulet was removed.

I've had the same experience. But this is honestly just another argument for removing it.

e: Hoarding pots until the right strategic moment is boring. Pots should be for tactics, right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

kalstrams posted:

Demons and angels might hate each other but they both hate rear end in a top hat adventurers even more.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've had the same experience. But this is honestly just another argument for removing it.

e: Hoarding pots until the right strategic moment is boring. Pots should be for tactics, right?

except for mutation, experience, benemut, and of course cure mut

so 4/20 potion types

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

jon joe posted:

Please share your sick orb of fire stopping techniques.

Lock them behind a draconian in a hallway and use portal projectile to pelt them with 100 sling bullets.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

code:
1477976 cliffracer the Petrodigitator (level 27, 188/188 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist on May 30, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on June 5, 2016!

The game lasted 16:54:15 (112459 turns).

cliffracer the Petrodigitator (GrEE)              Turns: 112459, Time: 16:54:15

Health: 188/188    AC: 50    Str: 15    XL:     27
Magic:  9/51       EV: 18    Int: 35    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   4566       SH:  9    Dex: 10    Spells: 13 memorised, 14 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +7 mace of Causality {flame, rC+}
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    V - +5 ring mail {MR+}
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    q - +3 buckler {AC+3}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    j - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Z - +2 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    u - +2 pair of gloves "Onusk" {rF++ rN+ Regen+ Slay-2}
SustAt .          Harm     .    E - +4 pair of boots of Decompression {rF+ rC+}
MR     ++++.                    J - amulet of Oniav {Reflect MR+ SH+2 SInv}
Stlth  ..........               l - ring of resist corrosion
                                k - +6 ring of intelligence

@: flying, very slightly contaminated, hasted, repel missiles, very quick,
incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: big wings, deterioration 1, negative energy resistance 1, electricity
resistance, unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer
I think I've got the basics down and it's time to learn about the postgame branches. What's the most reliable build for 15-rune runs? MiFi pure melee who goes Oka->Zin/TSO? Caster? Hybrid melee? Necromutation/transmuter shenanigans?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Microcline posted:

code:
1477976 cliffracer the Petrodigitator (level 27, 188/188 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Earth Elementalist on May 30, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on June 5, 2016!

The game lasted 16:54:15 (112459 turns).

cliffracer the Petrodigitator (GrEE)              Turns: 112459, Time: 16:54:15

Health: 188/188    AC: 50    Str: 15    XL:     27
Magic:  9/51       EV: 18    Int: 35    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   4566       SH:  9    Dex: 10    Spells: 13 memorised, 14 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +7 mace of Causality {flame, rC+}
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    V - +5 ring mail {MR+}
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    q - +3 buckler {AC+3}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    j - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Z - +2 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    u - +2 pair of gloves "Onusk" {rF++ rN+ Regen+ Slay-2}
SustAt .          Harm     .    E - +4 pair of boots of Decompression {rF+ rC+}
MR     ++++.                    J - amulet of Oniav {Reflect MR+ SH+2 SInv}
Stlth  ..........               l - ring of resist corrosion
                                k - +6 ring of intelligence

@: flying, very slightly contaminated, hasted, repel missiles, very quick,
incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: big wings, deterioration 1, negative energy resistance 1, electricity
resistance, unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
a: Stop Flying, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer

I think I've got the basics down and it's time to learn about the postgame branches. What's the most reliable build for 15-rune runs? MiFi pure melee who goes Oka->Zin/TSO? Caster? Hybrid melee? Necromutation/transmuter shenanigans?

DEFE With firestorm glaciate and lichform.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

except for mutation, experience, benemut, and of course cure mut

so 4/20 potion types

Sometimes I wonder if it might make Crawl better if the mutation system was strictly a Demonspawn and Xom/Jiyva thing, and all the remaining purple+curemut+malmutate was taken out.

Unfortunately, that would mean I couldn't stuff my face with horrific body altering meat every game to make things interesting in the beginning, so I can't even really play devil's advocate well with that suggestion.

On an unrelated note, I'm still working on the central Crawl authentication site thing (after being distracted for the last month), but got pulled away by a bunch of stuff this weekend to make more headway on actually getting a prototype together (after not really working on it for about a month). Hopefully I can get time this week/next weekend to put a shell on git (along with the design docs) so that there is actually a visible result and goal to work towards.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

BigFactory posted:

DEFE With firestorm glaciate and lichform.
Same idea but TeCj.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still think that the player should be able to get permanent bad(or good) muts as normal from eating/drinking purple, but malmutate should give temp muts. I will probably never stop thinking this unless the whole mutation system changes in a major way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Microcline posted:

Caster of Vehumet with multiple L9 spells makes extended go least painfully. Necromutation is very nice, but not required. You'll want a CBOE and high evo so you're not entirely relying on Veh for mid-combat MP regen.

Melee char of Zin is a close second. All melee dudes should go at least a tiny bit hybrid by extended, just because specweap/rmsl/blink/haste are so useful.

Either one will want a broad smattering of resistances.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Old Dun Cow posted:

Lock them behind a draconian in a hallway and use portal projectile to pelt them with 100 sling bullets.
Instagib them with a silver javelin.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still think easiest extended character is beefy TSO dude. The heal on kill is really, really good and whenever there's chaff around you you can just holy flame them away

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

IronicDongz posted:

I still think that the player should be able to get permanent bad(or good) muts as normal from eating/drinking purple, but malmutate should give temp muts. I will probably never stop thinking this unless the whole mutation system changes in a major way.
Temporary mutation is really cool, and if Malmutate was temporary I'd not have any complaints about the system.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PleasingFungus posted:

what games have you had where you were killed by malmut?

Malmut doesn't kill players it just makes them mad
like item destruction or inventory weight limits or food

Although malmut still adds more interesting decisions than any of those did/do.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm still working on the central Crawl authentication site thing (after being distracted for the last month), but got pulled away by a bunch of stuff this weekend to make more headway on actually getting a prototype together (after not really working on it for about a month). Hopefully I can get time this week/next weekend to put a shell on git (along with the design docs) so that there is actually a visible result and goal to work towards.

Awesome! Let me or the other devs know if there's anything we can help with.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
malmut needs some kind of permanence though or it's just not threatening. if it were temporary it'd need to be greatly powered up so you get hit with blurry 3 right out of the gate or instant level 3 dopey

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pathetic little tramp posted:

malmut needs some kind of permanence though or it's just not threatening. if it were temporary it'd need to be greatly powered up so you get hit with blurry 3 right out of the gate or instant level 3 dopey

My suggestion was to make it work like Drain or stat rot and require you to gain experience to remove it. Wretched Stars and Demonspawn Corruptors can give large amounts of muts with smite targetting that go away with a small amount of exp, and malmutators can give ones that take a longer time to remove.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Nemelex chat was a while ago, but I gotta share my sweet ideas guy idea.

Decks are permanent, one of a kind, and refilled by Nemelex periodically. Give them a max card limit of 18-ish.
At 1* Nemelex offers you the choice of three different deck types, and you get the second and third at 3* and 5*
Most Nemelex abilities can transfer over just fine, but by making decks more fixed you can replace deck burning with card costs for abilities. 'Shuffle, replace an N-card deck with a new set of N-1 cards', Deal Four removing the bottom half the of the deck instead of destroying it, etc.

As a nice side effect, by making decks like this you could easily add extra deck types without clutter that just have a different potential card list, to make your choices a little more random instead of always getting Battle, Escape, Destruction.

PleasingFungus posted:

what games have you had where you were killed by malmut?

It happened to me in the tournament. OoF hit me with multiple -int mutations which made me brainless on the orb run.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darox posted:

It happened to me in the tournament. OoF hit me with multiple -int mutations which made me brainless on the orb run.

That sucks because winning while brainless would be pretty great.

"Finally, my quest is....wait what was I even doing? Where am I? The gently caress is this screaming ball for?"

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

SirSamVimes posted:

My suggestion was to make it work like Drain or stat rot and require you to gain experience to remove it. Wretched Stars and Demonspawn Corruptors can give large amounts of muts with smite targetting that go away with a small amount of exp, and malmutators can give ones that take a longer time to remove.

Here's mine for good measure:

How about making malmutate something that works on a timer of sorts and inflicts multiple bad mutations? It starts off temporary and if you kill the malmutator in time it cures the bad mutations it inflicted. If you run away or otherwise take too long, the bad mutations become permanent.

Potential issues I see are 1. People trying to "farm" good mutations off the small chance you get a good mutation, and 2. Identifying the source of the malmutation in case there's multiple enemies that can apply it. You can easily avoid 1. by making malmutate 100% bad mutations or just otherwise make the good mutation always go away on its own instead of becoming permanent. Plus, if you're doing 2-3 malmutate rolls at a time it's extremely unlikely you'd get all good mutations anyway, so it might not be a big deal to leave that as an option. You can fix 2. by making it so malmutate is a "debuff" of sorts and you can only have 1 instance of it at a time until it's dispelled or becomes permanent, from there just have some extra text when putting your cursor on a monster identifying the source (corrupting you, malmutating you, etc.)

This seems to me like it could be a more interesting twist to malmutate than the current system, but maybe I'm just weird.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Darox posted:

Happened to me with a SpEn on the orbrun as well, back in 2014 (0.15). But the real culprit there was Focus cards, if I didn't have 1 str from those I'd have been fine. Never again, now!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've probably said this before, but Formicid Fighter can be a real slaughterhouse once you get one online. Yes, no teleport, and that is a big big con. But, two-handers and shields at one go, with reduced shield requirements? Surprisingly useful SInv/Monster sensing? Dig at will? These all combine for a very survivable class, especially with their not bad apts. The big question mark is getting one to where you've skilled up enough you can actually take advantage of two hands + shield; at that point if you're thinking ahead with dig and murderholes you can probably 3 rune at a pretty high rate. That said the one I'm running has been lucky as gently caress (+1 CPA from a bastion, boots of flight, wand of fireball, amulet of regen, all before lair entrance), but they can be surprisingly beefy dudes. Regen is especially handy, in that it hopefully obviates the need for tele that you're never going to get.

EDIT-Speaking of lucky, a non-timed Bazaar entrance? I can go all over until I get some money and this entrance will never disappear until I go in right?

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 6, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Scaramouche posted:

I've probably said this before, but Formicid Fighter can be a real slaughterhouse once you get one online. Yes, no teleport, and that is a big big con. But, two-handers and shields at one go, with reduced shield requirements? Surprisingly useful SInv/Monster sensing? Dig at will? These all combine for a very survivable class, especially with their not bad apts. The big question mark is getting one to where you've skilled up enough you can actually take advantage of two hands + shield; at that point if you're thinking ahead with dig and murderholes you can probably 3 rune at a pretty high rate. That said the one I'm running has been lucky as gently caress (+1 CPA from a bastion, boots of flight, wand of fireball, amulet of regen, all before lair entrance), but they can be surprisingly beefy dudes. Regen is especially handy, in that it hopefully obviates the need for tele that you're never going to get.

EDIT-Speaking of lucky, a non-timed Bazaar entrance? I can go all over until I get some money and this entrance will never disappear until I go in right?
What's a recommended replacement for scrolls of Tele for Formicids, aside from playing carefully? Scroll of Fear?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Recognizing bad situations before they get out of hand and making a murderhole early is the main thing.

They have okay evo apt too so you can get some use out of the evokers.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Does Uskayaw's Pass Line work for formicids? Or whatever that move-through-a-group is called.

I'm not sure, since Power Leap does, doesn't it?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Poison Mushroom posted:

What's a recommended replacement for scrolls of Tele for Formicids, aside from playing carefully? Scroll of Fear?

I'm sure the Optimal Players in the thread have their own tactics but I find (in order of importance):
- Don't get caught (re; resistentialism's post), remember you can dig, and also dig down. Don't wait until you're nearly dead to do so
- Be so crazy hard doing damage and having armor that you're a murder blender. Ideally you can do things like have an executioner's axe and a large shield, and I think your base strength as FoFi is 20; I found that CPA on D5 and was already strong enough to wear it due to random strength ups
- Wands and evocables, remember you have them and use them
- Eat the purp! Two of the worst mutations (teleportitus/berserk) will have no effect on you
- Okawaru's heroism is a nice "oh poo poo" button, though Finesse doesn't work. That said, it's a gear heavy character so Oka's gifts do generally work out. Trog I wouldn't bother with unless you really like Brothers in Arms
- Running. Running is great for everyone, but it's especially valuable to Fo given their lack of teleportability
- Again later down the road, but you'll probably find a great -Tele artifact and give a little snicker for the floor god
- You'll also find some great helmets that you can't wear
- Is this a list or a discussion anymore? I kinda of lost track here

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

- Is this a list or a discussion anymore? I kinda of lost track here

LearnDB posted:

formicid unreasons
_You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby! _You sense a monster nearby!
see haste
see scroll of teleportation
see scroll of blinking
http://imgur.com/4ThdDED

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Finesse works on antmans now, I think.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The other fun idea is to forget all that heavy armour stuff and do a FoEE passwall stabber gimmick, using endless one tile digs and monster sense to line up hundreds of passwall stabs. However, the rules for how the digging sound travels around corners or through walls seem pretty confusing to me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I just saw my own ghost...

Playing the class that I just played.

On the floor where I just died.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Haha, I may have had to quit that Fo, but it lives on as a caution to others.

Learn LRD if you're a Fo, and don't go into Pan unless you're pretty sure you have the power to blow stone with it. Bring a distortion weapon with you just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Wield which item (- for none, * to show all)?
Hand Weapons
a - a +7 demon blade of venom (weapon)
b - a +2 hunting sling of evasion
F - a +2 triple sword of freezing

An Ice Cave in Lair 3 had some REALLY good swords for me. And I'm already going LBs! :woop:

Edit And Okawaru just gifted me a +10 plate armor of ponderousness. As a formicid.

I know I shouldn't wear it. But I want to. So badly.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 6, 2016

• Locked thread