Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Anna Torv is pretty unremarkable in season one and the wider opinion is by season three she's great and one of the highlights of the show and continues to be great through the end.

She has a lot of dud episodes in season 4, she drags down a lot of the scenes she's in. Season Olivia is more tolerable as they plopped the main cast down into this whole new world so there's a lot less boring, stuffy Olivia nonsense to deal with. Looks like she's coming back to tv playing an FBI agent yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

But Fringe also has very few actually interesting ideas.

.......but X-Files has a lot more just loving weird poo poo. X-Files also has a greater variety of tones, in my opinion.

Did X-Files do an animated episode with this as a plot description?

The mind of William Bell (Leonard Nimoy) still possesses Olivia's (Anna Torv) body after several failed attempts to extract it to recently deceased corpses. Walter (John Noble) and William believe that they have less than a day before Olivia's mind will be lost. They realize that Olivia is unaware that she has been possessed by William's mind, and instead has likely locked her ego away, making it difficult to contact her by normal means. Walter comes up with a plan: he and Peter (Joshua Jackson) will enter Olivia's mind with the aid of LSD to locate her ego and help it to regain dominance in her mind, while Walter hopes to download William's mind into a computer.

Inside Olivia's mind, Walter and Peter find they stand out as invaders, and the people that populate her mind, including a vision of her step-father (Chris Bradford), seek to stop them. Walter sees someone sending a Morse code signal from William Bell's office in one of the World Trade Center buildings. After evading a crowd and a trap set by a false vision of Nina Sharp (Blair Brown), they arrive at Bell's office, where they find William waiting for them as an animated cartoon.

The three are unable to find clues to Olivia's ego, something that William thought would be present if Olivia was looking to be found. Peter realizes that when Olivia is scared, she retreats to somewhere safe, and suggests they search her mind's version of Jacksonville, her childhood home. As they travel by zeppelin, William tries to encourage Walter that he no longer needs Bell's guidance. They are soon attacked by a man (Ulrich Thomsen) wearing an X-marked t-shirt, who tears open the side of the zeppelin; Walter is pulled out by the rush of air and falls to his death—waking him back in the real world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That episode was loving excellent.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

Did X-Files do an animated episode with this as a plot description?

The mind of William Bell (Leonard Nimoy) still possesses Olivia's (Anna Torv) body after several failed attempts to extract it to recently deceased corpses. Walter (John Noble) and William believe that they have less than a day before Olivia's mind will be lost. They realize that Olivia is unaware that she has been possessed by William's mind, and instead has likely locked her ego away, making it difficult to contact her by normal means. Walter comes up with a plan: he and Peter (Joshua Jackson) will enter Olivia's mind with the aid of LSD to locate her ego and help it to regain dominance in her mind, while Walter hopes to download William's mind into a computer.

Inside Olivia's mind, Walter and Peter find they stand out as invaders, and the people that populate her mind, including a vision of her step-father (Chris Bradford), seek to stop them. Walter sees someone sending a Morse code signal from William Bell's office in one of the World Trade Center buildings. After evading a crowd and a trap set by a false vision of Nina Sharp (Blair Brown), they arrive at Bell's office, where they find William waiting for them as an animated cartoon.

The three are unable to find clues to Olivia's ego, something that William thought would be present if Olivia was looking to be found. Peter realizes that when Olivia is scared, she retreats to somewhere safe, and suggests they search her mind's version of Jacksonville, her childhood home. As they travel by zeppelin, William tries to encourage Walter that he no longer needs Bell's guidance. They are soon attacked by a man (Ulrich Thomsen) wearing an X-marked t-shirt, who tears open the side of the zeppelin; Walter is pulled out by the rush of air and falls to his death—waking him back in the real world.

Man I really need to finish Fringe I guess. I quit watching when the doubled up on the boringest character.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Spatula City posted:

Their real gently caress-up was in how they engaged with the fan community, and how they seemed to underestimate just how mad people would be. To me it seemed like they made the decision purely based on the needs of the plot without realizing just how much it'd piss off fans. They're operating on an older paradigm of storytelling where the story takes total primacy over not alienating the fanbase. Their commitment to representation is commendable, and the lesson isn't no representation, or not even "don't kill off gay characters". The lesson is to be very, very careful in dealing with fans, and if you're trying to actively engage with fans and have a closer relationship with them, it can't be superficial. You have to factor them into even your decisions about plot. Too often in general, authors don't ask themselves "how are my readers going to respond to this?", and the same goes for showrunners. This issue is especially critical when it comes to the treatment of LGBT characters.

The problem is that the creators engaged the fan community and expected the fan community to understand the actress was leaving the show for a different one and the world they created no one could just travel to the next town over or head to college.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

The problem is that the creators engaged the fan community and expected the fan community to understand the actress was leaving the show for a different one and the world they created no one could just travel to the next town over or head to college.

Hilariously, it's later revealed that there is another town over, which is completely isolated and no one can get to it without being brought there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

Man I really need to finish Fringe I guess. I quit watching when the doubled up on the boringest character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSWQpGDcl8 for a sample

For the early seasons I would agree that it seemed like a "safer" X-files, and I stopped watching it at the time for that reason (only to be pointed back at it by my family later). I'd say the split is that in later episodes Fringe embraces its weirdness in a way that X-Files was never willing to do.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

They did an all around excellent job with the "variant" characters from the other universe. Definitely go back.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I watch Fringe I genuinely believe Walternate and Walter are two different actors because they are so different.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mu Zeta posted:

Also Fringe gets really fun near the end of season 1. Until then it feels like a boring, cheaper X-Files knockoff and then the show goes full wacky.

i like xfiles drat it

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

When I watch Fringe I genuinely believe Walternate and Walter are two different actors because they are so different.

John Noble is incredible in that. The most hate-worthy character in LOTR and a total flip in Fringe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

I liked random religious agent that showed up for a couple of episodes and then just completely disappeared.

That whole thing was weird because she disappeared so quickly that it couldn't have been feedback or anything like that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I thought Seth Gabel was very underrated in Fringe as well, playing two such different characters. Then I loved him as the first Count Vertigo on Arrow (kind of a punk rock drug kingpin version of the Joker), until he was unceremoniously killed off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I thought Seth Gabel was very underrated in Fringe as well, playing two such different characters. Then I loved him as the first Count Vertigo on Arrow (kind of a punk rock drug kingpin version of the Joker), until he was unceremoniously killed off.

Oh I agree, his episode where the two versions tried to figure out where they diverged was excellent. His fate on the show is pretty good.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Flash wishes it could do parallel dimension/alternate universe stuff as well as Fringe did. I love anything like that, and Fringe was the gold standard.

On that note, has anyone here ever watched Charlie Jade? I hear it's a South African sci-fi detective noir show involving regular travel between three parallel universes, which sounds incredibly awesome. I wish there was a legal place to watch it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j15fMQwVnU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Flash wishes it could do parallel dimension/alternate universe stuff as well as Fringe did. I love anything like that, and Fringe was the gold standard.

On that note, has anyone here ever watched Charlie Jade? I hear it's a South African sci-fi detective noir show involving regular travel between three parallel universes, which sounds incredibly awesome. I wish there was a legal place to watch it.

Charlie Jade had some amazing ideas but the budget wasn't big enough to convey them to the screen in a not lovely way. Still a really fun show. I briefly owned the series on DVD and sold them when the price exploded. I think you can get the full series fairly cheap these days though if you have a player that can recognize non R1 dvds.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Season 2 of Fringe is a show where lines like “Why are shape-shifting soldiers from another universe stealing frozen heads?” are a normal occurrence. I think season 3 was my favorite just for all the parallel universe stuff but I appreciate that they looked at the feedack and then just really hit the ground running.

Rhyno posted:

That episode was loving excellent.

Leonard Nimoy being so old and frail was undoubtedly the reason they animated it but I admired that kind of chutzpah.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of lol-ing at this week's Game of Thrones. They go through all the effort of getting Ian McShane and he doesn't show up until episode 7 and then he's dead by the end of it.
\

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Mann posted:

Season 2 of Fringe is a show where lines like “Why are shape-shifting soldiers from another universe stealing frozen heads?” are a normal occurrence. I think season 3 was my favorite just for all the parallel universe stuff but I appreciate that they looked at the feedack and then just really hit the ground running.

Leonard Nimoy being so old and frail was undoubtedly the reason they animated it but I admired that kind of chutzpah.

Yeah probably. Gotta love him for being a trooper though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of lol-ing at this week's Game of Thrones. They go through all the effort of getting Ian McShane and he doesn't show up until episode 7 and then he's dead by the end of it.
\

It had been widely reported that's what was happening actually.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Snak posted:

Hilariously, it's later revealed that there is another town over, which is completely isolated and no one can get to it without being brought there.

I'm behind in that show but seriously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her character's death is essential and the only thing the actress being available would have changed is when.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spatula City posted:

Their real gently caress-up was in how they engaged with the fan community, and how they seemed to underestimate just how mad people would be. To me it seemed like they made the decision purely based on the needs of the plot without realizing just how much it'd piss off fans. They're operating on an older paradigm of storytelling where the story takes total primacy over not alienating the fanbase. Their commitment to representation is commendable, and the lesson isn't no representation, or not even "don't kill off gay characters". The lesson is to be very, very careful in dealing with fans, and if you're trying to actively engage with fans and have a closer relationship with them, it can't be superficial. You have to factor them into even your decisions about plot. Too often in general, authors don't ask themselves "how are my readers going to respond to this?", and the same goes for showrunners. This issue is especially critical when it comes to the treatment of LGBT characters.

I can see from your av why you think fans should take precedence over good storytelling

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It had been widely reported that's what was happening actually.

That's why I don't bother reading anything but the broadest news stories about shows I watch. I'd rather be surprised.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

To continue The 100 LGBTQ Death chat: now they have two characters who are boyfriends to each other, but they're minor enough that I've been waiting for at least one of them to die. Now they've survived season 3, but are they being kept alive because of the Lexa backlash?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yer Burnt posted:

To continue The 100 LGBTQ Death chat: now they have two characters who are boyfriends to each other, but they're minor enough that I've been waiting for at least one of them to die. Now they've survived season 3, but are they being kept alive because of the Lexa backlash?

The episodes were done being filmed way before the Lexa death episode aired.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wait, what male gay characters are there? Are you talking about the asian guy and the depressed guy? They aren't gay.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Wait, what male gay characters are there? Are you talking about the asian guy and the depressed guy? They aren't gay.

No, there's a gay couple, I don't know their names though*. There was drama when one of them was on Pike's side and put a listening device in his boyfriend's guard jacket because his boyfriend was one of the conspirators. I'm sure we've actually seen them kiss, but I don't think they've shown a m-m sex scene.

*I don't know 90% of the background characters names until main characters start to say their names a shitton.

I know like, 2-3 characters names in Vikings. Ragnar, Rollo, and Floki. Everyone else is just some guy or girl. Oh and Athelstan.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you loving blind?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I might be because honestly this past season was a blur and I don't remember anything from the first couple seasons it was so long ago.

e: i think I remember the gay characters now. I can't even remember their names. They were just some meathead soldiers right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I might be because honestly this past season was a blur and I don't remember anything from the first couple seasons it was so long ago.

It's from this last season

First hit for "the 100 gay couple"

Althought it was also the only accurate hit, I think. Every other picture was just other pairings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 100 thread fully covered this insanity but as stated numerous times, the entire stretch of episodes covering the controversy had completed filming before any of it aired.

Edit: Fringe 5x11, I got what I wanted. No matter how the show ends Walter got his memories of the original timeline back and tells Peter. Super sappy but it absolutely touched me.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 6, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

imo the "killing our gays" TV thing recently, which did get horrifyingly bad in the last year or two to an historically unprecedented level, is a convergence of three factors. I can't completely take credit for it, it's kind of summarizing ideas from a Vox article.

If you read the killing our gays article that came out it basically covers a fairly large timeframe and includes shows not broadcast in the US (as well as daytime soaps, which are notorious for just killing everybody)

http://www.autostraddle.com/all-65-dead-lesbian-and-bisexual-characters-on-tv-and-how-they-died-312315/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

muscles like this? posted:

\

Yes but Sandor is alive and Yara likes girls :neckbeard:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spatula City posted:

Their real gently caress-up was in how they engaged with the fan community, and how they seemed to underestimate just how mad people would be. To me it seemed like they made the decision purely based on the needs of the plot without realizing just how much it'd piss off fans.

This is called being a good story teller. You cannot let the audience dictate the terms of your writing or plot if you ever expect to make something good. People will go apeshit over a character being gay/not gay, insist characters X and Y are in love with each other and harass real life people over it, and basically start their own "canon" storylines on tumblr and poo poo and then get into arugements that the new material isn't true to the original/source.

In short, gently caress fans and their whiny baby entitlement belief that internet outrage should dictate a story.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snak posted:

You sure have a lot of wrong opinions about a show you quit very early into

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So has anyone else been watching W. Kamau Bell's "United Shades of America" over the past month and so? The series has gone to some places I never expected to see coming, like this week's visit to the northernmost corner of Alaska to see how the native culture is starting to fade in the past quarter century.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

END ME SCOOB posted:

So has anyone else been watching W. Kamau Bell's "United Shades of America" over the past month and so? The series has gone to some places I never expected to see coming, like this week's visit to the northernmost corner of Alaska to see how the native culture is starting to fade in the past quarter century.

I've seen a couple of episodes and I really like it. I like W. Kamau Bell as a commentator more than a comedian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Fringe before I saw The X-Files the whole way through, and I remember as I watched the first season of the latter, I was always thinking, "Huh. So that's where Fringe got that idea."

It's sort of like how I saw Red Dwarf long before I sat down and watched TNG, and the first season of the latter kept making me go, "Looks like this is the episode Rob Grant and Doug Naylor were watching when they wrote that episode."

For example, the bit in "The Last Day" where Lister says, "Kryten, spare me that Star Trek crap, it's too early in the morning," feels like it's joking specifically about a season one or two TNG episode where Data's doing the whole "Is this the emotion you humans call love?" thing.

Speaking of, I've just gotten to the episode of Alphas where Brent Spiner played the Alpha of the week. It was pretty good. I like Alphas a lot and I anticipate disappointment at its ending. Gary is a pretty annoying character but I guess he's meant to be.

• Locked thread