Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sup goons, I was lucky enough to have time to get to the UK Games Expo yesterday, and I took a bunch of video of the main hall and most of the game halls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfCj0XSEZSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gqVf_nWrPs

The Thirsty Meeples library was really cool - about 800 games you could check out and play as long as you liked, which was great to do in the middle of the day for a sit-down break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
These are my wife's favorite games that we play 2 player

7 Wonders Duel
Patchwork
Jaipur
Pandemic
Carcassonne
Agricola All Creatures Big & Small (different game from Agricola)
The Duke
Machi Koro
Splendor
Suburbia
Ticket to Ride
Keyflower

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
If you get Keyflower, don't forget to pick up divorce papers on the way home.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's always been really chill in my 2 player games, since it's a given we're head to head. It causes much more commotion at 3+ for us. Now Patchwork on the other hand...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What do you figure would be a good turn timer length for Archipelago?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Lot of great suggestions. Thank you all.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Pandemic too for a good co-op game!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

What do you figure would be a good turn timer length for Archipelago?

Do you have an AP prone player? My turns are always pretty quick along with most I play with so anything more than minute is too long

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finally got to try out Millennium Blades two-player today. It's pretty cool, really dig what it's doing. Almost managed a Exodia-knockoff play with a card to double the points, but I hosed up and still managed to win the round. I feel like that's the MB experience, snatching victory out of the jaws of "oh poo poo I hosed up." The real-time component is probably a lot more interesting with more than two people, though.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

Carcassone will probably be my next purchase. TTR had an ad for Small World in the box, looks fun but my wife isn't much for directly "battling" each other. Definitely needs to be good for 2p, as we haven't met any other couples yet where we've just moved, and definitely nothing that takes more than an hour.

Don't get small world it's not very good.

Gander at Castles of Burgundy, 7 Wonders or 7 Wonders Duel, Jaipur

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Mmm, Lost cities is still pretty pleasant to play, but honestly my boo and I mostly play Battlelines and Patchwork. So along with others go for my vote of you getting Patchwork.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

carcassonne is still one of my favorite games and I wish my girlfriend liked it :(

however, I bought my brother a copy today and he loving loved it so now I've got a Carc Buddy!! :buddy: Dude mentioned that thursday nights were "catan nights" a few weeks ago so I've been meaning to get him something better, that 19 dollar Amazon sale was totally in "impulse buy for somebody else" territory. I was totally against the new art seeing it in pictures, but it actually looks pretty nice in person, and the Abbot mini-expansion the new version comes with is actually pretty cool, would recommend

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Finally got to try out Millennium Blades two-player today. It's pretty cool, really dig what it's doing. Almost managed a Exodia-knockoff play with a card to double the points, but I hosed up and still managed to win the round. I feel like that's the MB experience, snatching victory out of the jaws of "oh poo poo I hosed up." The real-time component is probably a lot more interesting with more than two people, though.

The real-time element isn't really the focus, I don't think. It's just a way to prevent the game dragging on forever from AP.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've played one game of Carcassonne and I found the problem was that everyone else round the table had played hundreds if not thousands.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Man, managed to play Antiquity for a second time today, and I'm just starting to get a grasp of what do. I definitely underestimated how useful forced labor is the first time around in particular.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sloober posted:

Do you have an AP prone player? My turns are always pretty quick along with most I play with so anything more than minute is too long
Yes, although I'm pretty bad myself at times. A minute is about what I was thinking.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like a fun time for everyone!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
UKGE trip report:

Only had time to trial a couple of games:

Star Wars Rebellion: this is FFG as gently caress. Huge board, tonnes of chitties and decks and phases, but very engaging and seems to have a lot of depth at first glance. Only tried a couple of rounds though as it's 4 freaking hours long - the only real issue I would have with it is that it's only two player, and we usually have 3 at game nights at minimum.

Xi: a fun little magic-inspired card game. No deck creation afaik, just buy a deck, play a deck. I wallopped the demo guy so hard I ended up with significantly more HP than I started with, and that was with forgetting one of my lasting spells. Not sure, therefore, that it's entirely balanced, but it was fun. I didn't wind up buying it though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The only game I got to really try at the UKGE was 1944: Race to the Rhine which was pretty fun!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

The only game I got to really try at the UKGE was 1944: Race to the Rhine which was pretty fun!

Care to go a bit more into detail?

I was looking at the game online a few weeks ago but was not sure about it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's not a wargame, for a start, since combat is entirely deterministic. It has push your luck elements of a sort since you need to judge how far you are willing to push, and the more you push the more difficult it is to keep your stuff supplied, and supplies need to be carted up with trucks in order to reach your armies. It feels very euro-y but the theme fits nicely.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah, that were the impressions that I had from watching a video or two...

What made it fun for you?

Plus I started to stare at Empire of the Sun again. But I'm 99% that it will never hit the table. So please talk me out of it :ohdear:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I finally managed to beat DreamQuest last night after hearing about it in the thread a couple of weeks ago, which is a mobile-based deckbuilding rogue-like. I found it a lot of fun, although it's pretty highly random as to whether you can win based on what cards become available for you, and some of the bosses can be literally unbeatable for certain characters. I did have a great fight against the hydra boss, whose gimmick is that it restores to its full health of 90 hp at the end of each of its turns, and I could do a maximum of about 30 damage in one turn with my deck....except I had a spell that deals 2 damage a turn for the rest of the fight when you cast it, and it stacks. And another spell that gives +20% chance to dodge attacks, which also stacks with diminishing returns. By the end of the fight the hydra was taking 64 damage a turn and I had a 99% chance to dodge any of its attacks. It took about 45 minutes where most fights take a few seconds, but man it was satisfying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I can't help but think of that Mythical Show segment or The Cones of Dunshire. There is way too much poo poo crammed in that box!

thespaceinvader posted:

Star Wars Rebellion: this is FFG as gently caress. Huge board, tonnes of chitties and decks and phases, but very engaging and seems to have a lot of depth at first glance. Only tried a couple of rounds though as it's 4 freaking hours long - the only real issue I would have with it is that it's only two player, and we usually have 3 at game nights at minimum.

Technically it's up to 4 but all you're doing is splitting the roles up. This can lead to humorous moments where the Empire players are bickering like bureaucrats but for the most part you want to play 2 player. However the option is there.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I need a quick smoke test on how these look on a monitor that doesn't have Retina resizing everything:

Character Sheet, 85% quality
World Map + Antarctica, 85% quality but I think that imgur hit it with a quality drop, the size isn't reporting as correct
World Map + Antarctica, 75% quality

Good y/n? gently caress me, it's 2 years since I ran this game last. I'm still tossing up between EH+Antarctica or a six-player Keyflower game.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 6, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I played it with a Polish distributor here in the US and had a lot of fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Selecta84 posted:

Yeah, that were the impressions that I had from watching a video or two...

What made it fun for you?

Plus I started to stare at Empire of the Sun again. But I'm 99% that it will never hit the table. So please talk me out of it :ohdear:
Honestly? It was the push your luck element and thematic nature of the game. I don't usually like push your luck games, but this one is a weighed push your luck, because the luck element is all about what kind of supplies you have, so you have full control on how much you want to push your luck. If you want to play a little bit more cautious, you can, there is that flexibility. I played with my friend and he played Patton and I would call his strategy 'going the full Patton', since he pushed forward without a care for supplies. He eventually won too, but he did really well. I played more cautiously but had to be pushed into action cause my friend was advancing so far. The whole package felt very well put together and had interesting interlocking mechanisms.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I know it's kind of hard to say after one play, but I think I heard each general is fairly pidgeonholed in terms of his strategy? How's the asymmetric aspect of it?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've played one game of Carcassonne and I found the problem was that everyone else round the table had played hundreds if not thousands.

That was my experience with Carcassonne as well. Ugh.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stelas posted:

I need a quick smoke test on how these look on a monitor that doesn't have Retina resizing everything:

Character Sheet, 85% quality
World Map + Antarctica, 85% quality but I think that imgur hit it with a quality drop, the size isn't reporting as correct
World Map + Antarctica, 75% quality

Good y/n? gently caress me, it's 2 years since I ran this game last. I'm still tossing up between EH+Antarctica or a six-player Keyflower game.

They look fine to me.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Played some FCM with some buddies on the weekend, had a great time and they really liked it as well. Had a couple questions come up during the game that I couldn't find a good answer to so I drew a picture

Player 1 has their restaurant on the edge of the tile, is their restaurant considered distance 1 or 0 from the house? We played it as distance 1 since it's crossing a tile line. For player 2, their restaurant was positioned facing an overpass, do they have access to both the upper and lower roads? We played it as having access to both but that seems a little strange.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

You played both correctly. Overpass spots are good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SynthOrange posted:

Well, I did ask if direct misery themed board games existed a year or two ago. :stare:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yes you are correct on both counts. You count the number of tiles (following roads) to (or from) the square on which the entrance of the restaurant (the little V line on a corner) is located. If the restaurant has a drive-thru, treat it as though all four corners have entrances.

http://play.boardgamecore.net/fcm/help.html#help08

visual aid ^^^

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 6, 2016

EBag
May 18, 2006

Great thanks, the visual aid definitely helps.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Mega64 posted:

How does Forge War play with two? Thinking about busting it out today but my usual Saturday group has been dwindling due to various real-life things and it's likely only one other person's actually going to show up.

Also since this issue will likely continue through the summer, what are some good two-player games you'd recommend? The extent of my two-player games right now are Hive and Summoner War (and War of the Ring but doubt I'll ever want to learn that thing again). I assume Tash-Kalar is a must, of course. And I probably have a lot of the 3+ player games that handle well at two, such as Dominion, but feel free to recommend them anyway in case I already have them or whatever.

Forge War is alright with 2. There's less interaction in the mines than I'd expect with a higher player count, and less dickery with worker placement spots. I've only played it with 2 but it definitely feels like it'd be significantly better with more.

If you like Uwe Rosenberg and farming, Fields of Arle is a fantastic 2 player.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

EBag posted:

Played some FCM with some buddies on the weekend, had a great time and they really liked it as well. Had a couple questions come up during the game that I couldn't find a good answer to so I drew a picture

Player 1 has their restaurant on the edge of the tile, is their restaurant considered distance 1 or 0 from the house? We played it as distance 1 since it's crossing a tile line. For player 2, their restaurant was positioned facing an overpass, do they have access to both the upper and lower roads? We played it as having access to both but that seems a little strange.

Yes, both are correctly played.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Bought/played Legends of Andor after hearing it was good.

It is not. The setting is profoundly generic, the combat is lightly-frilled dice rolling, and the mechanics are functional but bland and poorly fit to the theme.

The "tutorial" rules system is poorly done, having you play with a slowly escalating amount of rules, and leaving you with lots of questions about what's currently in effect. Like, at one point in Legend 1 it introduces the merchant, and the merchant board has stuff to buy and shows you what items do. Seems fine... but apparently you weren't supposed to be buying items from it until Legend 2. During Legend 1 you could just buy - bland sigh - "strength points". Of course we screwed that up and bought a Falcon, using it to cheese the quest by flying into Mordor. We weren't supposed to cheese a quest using the falcon until Mission 2 (where one of the cards is like "Did you lose? You should cheese the quest with the Falcon").

Conversely, there's other rules you pick up during the tutorial but it's unclear whether they continue to be in effect in the "real game". We weren't sure, for example, whether killing monsters continued to bump up the story track - they do, and that sucks. Anyway, the game is very very simple in the end, and it would be easy to just jump right in and play after reading some rules - but the slow trickle of rules you learn from makes it very confusing to get going.

There's no persistence between missions - but it takes a while to figure that out. The tutorial guides you through the transition from Legend 1 to 2, during which you slowly erase the board and character state. At each point, the players were like "Oh, so our HP resets, but we keep our stuff, right?" Well, no, you don't keep anything it turns out. I think this is a mistake; yes it makes the game easier to balance and whatever, but having a persistent character builds player engagement and creates a whole fun space for interesting decisions. As it stands, your progress/customization is essentially nil. Each player will probably end up buying a single item that makes sense for their character/quest. So, effectively, there's no character joy here at all.

In Legend 2, we had no problems with killing stuff or doing the questy bits - but we just barely won. Because of how killing monsters advances the story track (and at the end of the track you lose), the most important concern is to make sure you don't kill too many monsters (how thematic!). At one point, the game spawned a couple "war drake" monsters with big stats and who might have been interesting to fight, but we couldn't just kill them because we didn't have any kill slots left. We just had to get farmers to the castle so that we'd have enough castle hit points to let the drakes through. This, uh.. worked in the game mechanically, but it's painfully opposite to theme, and runs contrary to the bulk of the game's design (which, again, is largely about getting yourself more dice/rerolls/strength/whatever).

Anyway, the game functions OK... but it was completely uninteresting to play out, and we'll be selling it off without finishing the campaign. That said, even if you did really like the game, it has essentially no replayability given the set story cards and the complete lack of options for character customization. Not the worst, but pretty bad.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 6, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Chill la Chill posted:

Well, I did ask if direct misery themed board games existed a year or two ago. :stare:
But Agricola already exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Weird, I had a totally different reaction to it, pretty much across the board. Different strokes for different folks.

If you're looking for a "run around the board killing monsters and taking their stuff game", I agree it is not that. Monsters are an obstacle to your mission and fighting them is almost never the point.

On a more technical note I do appreciate some of the unusual and experimental things it does in the 'DM-less fantasy game' setting. The daylight track is neat, I liked the incremental how-to-play tutorial(s) which are games in themselves, the system for the storytelling is also interesting and imo worked fine, art design is really good and consistent. Like I said though, different strokes for different folks I guess.