Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

laserghost posted:

Well, you can just download this neat package of like 95% of all Duke3d TC's/levelsets: http://hrp.duke4.net/download.php (scroll down to the last section) iirc the big stuff like AMC or Decay is not included

This is an awesome collection, but I'm weird and I don't like the way it's set up, I like to put my stuff into folders in the Duke directory and select them from the drop down list when eDuke32 starts. Is there a way to do that with this collection? Also there's apparently an update for it coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

a retard posted:

I'm not sure about 3, but Quake 1 and 2 modders had a reputation for being really elitist with regards to modding and tools compared to the Doom community.

There's a reason the Doom community's been going strong for over 20 years while Quake 1/2 modding is pretty much dead aside from a really pretty mapset for 1 every month or so.

I've been playing tons of maps for Doom and Quake (1; not so much 2) since the late 90s, and I never caught on to this. Not saying you're lying, just that it's weird that I never perceived it. I even poked around forums/blog updates (or what we would today call blog updates) for Quake mappers so it's not as though I just never took a look at the inside of the sausage plant.

To date myself, I was playing when Shambler's map review site was still a regularly updated thing.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I can date myself: I remember when airquake and skate boarding quake were first released! Also, finding that Solder of Fortune TC Map, made by the guys who made 'They Live' for Half-Life.

I do remember Quake 1 and Quake 2's mod community being pretty small. Quake 2's was VERY small, especially the SP community. I think once Quake 3 hit, Quake 2 mods pretty much stopped. Yet, Quake 1 still went on strong for a bit.

The saddest thing I remember from those days is when DukeWorld shut down. That really killed off the Duke3d Mod Community. I think if it had stuck around (and that Duke 4ever wasn't a delayed embarrassment), Duke3d modding would be as popular as Doom modding.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Duke 3D modding could never be as popular as Doom modding because it simply came to late and bumped up against Quake modding too soon (and was still always going to be a bit harder than Doom stuff). And it didn't help that Duke 3D source release came 6 years after Doom's despite only being like 2.5 years older.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fishmech posted:

Duke 3D modding could never be as popular as Doom modding because it simply came to late and bumped up against Quake modding too soon (and was still always going to be a bit harder than Doom stuff). And it didn't help that Duke 3D source release came 6 years after Doom's despite only being like 2.5 years older.

I really wish it would be as popular, though. I should get in on some good Duke mods that have been mentioned here, but goddammit, I'm still just having so much fun with Doom ones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Now properly lit with glows and stuff! Doing lighting for lava pits and stuff is fun, making lighting in general is a strangely relaxing activity. Aligning the textures for this room is gonna be such a pain in the rear end.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

CJacobs posted:

Now properly lit with glows and stuff! Doing lighting for lava pits and stuff is fun, making lighting in general is a strangely relaxing activity. Aligning the textures for this room is gonna be such a pain in the rear end.
Go into visual mode, look at one section of wall, and press a.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've tried that on multiple sections of the wall, unfortunately it aligns some but leaves others screwed up. I think it has to do with the weird-rear end shape of the room and those outcroppings on the walls.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
These nerds are doing a livestream of 32X Doom

It was my first experience of the game. It's amazing how bad it looks now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

joedevola posted:

These nerds are doing a livestream of 32X Doom

It was my first experience of the game. It's amazing how bad it looks now.

Weird, I wasn't aware of the odd retexturing that was done for that version. Dude's playing through E1M... 5? 6? And all of the doors and lifts have that lion head (?) wooden door texture.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the texture variety took a poo poo; I had to watch for a good minute before I could pin the level down as Phobos Lab because it's now brick and wood.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I actually maintain that Doom 32x is a pretty good port for when it came out, since it was another year or so until PSX Doom came out and wasn't awkward or absolute trash.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What's interesting is the beta footage of the 32x version floating around. It looks like it could have been a fantastic port if it was given a bit more time to develop.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's more than footage, the roms got leaked. The first few early roms are the most interesting. There is way more texture variety, it looks a lot closer to the PC version. Runs like poo poo though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's also a romhack to merge the Jaguar wad and the 32X wad, so you can play most of the rest of the game. Interestingly all the levels load but two of them, which don't fit into the 32x ram.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
What's everyone's doom folder size as of now? I ask this because I just clocked in around 13gb after spending all day sorting my folder.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I was just wondering that myself. 31.2g.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
40.2 gigs, occupied by 109480 files and apparently 7177 folders. I think this humongous folder count comes mostly from Windows believing it makes sense to assume that zip files are folders.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

How the hell are you peoples' Doom folders so huge

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

What's wrong with Quake 2 modders?
I needed a punching bag for a punchline while finishing textures in a fit of insomnia, and those sons of bitches are way too quiet to be up to anything even remotely good. :v:

Castor Poe posted:

That Satan Corp logo is amazing. Did you make it yourself?
Thanks! Yeah, it's nothing technically astonishing though. A little bit of Eurostile here, some stroke and bevel filters there, and overlaying one of the stone textures to taste.

Awesome Welles posted:

What's interesting is the beta footage of the 32x version floating around. It looks like it could have been a fantastic port if it was given a bit more time to develop.
Doom was heavily rushed to hit the 32X launch, to the point of flying John Carmack in to basically camp out at Sega of America's offices. IIRC the 32X launch titles had a pretty bumpy ride to release on account of proper devkits taking a while to get out there and documentation that was either lacking or in Japanese, so there's your reason for that version's, shall we say, lacking quality.

Douk Douk posted:

What's everyone's doom folder size as of now? I ask this because I just clocked in around 13gb after spending all day sorting my folder.
Strangely, only seven gig or so. Probably because I keep all the mods I download nice and zipped, and shuffle my old failed mod projects onto a backup drive where they can't hurt anyone.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CJacobs posted:

How the hell are you peoples' Doom folders so huge

824MB, I'm a total scrub.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

Strangely, only seven gig or so. Probably because I keep all the mods I download nice and zipped, and shuffle my old failed mod projects onto a backup drive where they can't hurt anyone.

I just have everything except for my own modding ventures dumped in the main GZDoom folder and I have .wad files set to automatically open in it, so I just double click on one when I want to play it and try to guess which Id game it's for when GZDoom starts. Maximum clutter :getin:

edit: The best mishap with that I've had so far is when I thought Fistful of Doom was an OG Doom mod when actually it's for Doom 2. I started the game up and it was just normal e1m1 except there were massive wagons, cacti, and statues of jesus everywhere.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

My (5.29 gb) doom folder is also a total mess, and the main directory currently has 361 files in it. I should probably try to organize that at some point...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There's something anti-magical about hearing Doom's soundtrack filtered through the fart engine that is the Genesis sound chip.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

There's something anti-magical about hearing Doom's soundtrack filtered through the fart engine that is the Genesis sound chip.

'At least it's not a GEMS game like the Brazilian Duke3D port.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

'At least it's not a GEMS game like the Brazilian Duke3D port.
32X Doom actually is a GEMS game...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a soundtrack that could have sounded much better (unless you hate all chiptunes) with some time given for fine-tuning the instruments; but alas the game was rushed.

I think I remember someone on Doomworld trying to improve the soundtrack by romhacking the instruments. Yes, here it is:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/85321-i-can-potentially-fix-doom-32xs-bad-instruments-partially-done/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let us not forget about the best Doom soundtrack of all, the Playstation version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoI57YXK2do

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Let us not forget about the best Doom soundtrack of all, the Playstation version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoI57YXK2do

Ok, this is awesome, but I'd love to hear the original (never played the PSX version). Which one, out of this list, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atdyHvLhJXo

EDIT: Nevermind, I think this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3Z_qOcEQM

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Kins posted:

32X Doom actually is a GEMS game...

Oh, I read the wrong list. No wonder it's a ridiculous fart machine.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Douk Douk posted:

Doom folder: 13.3 Megabytes
Doom 2 folder: 15.0 Megabytes

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

The sound chip is a more advanced version of the OPL chip, so it sounding like flatulence is entirely the software's fault.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I was really enjoying Ancient Aliens until I reached map 20. What a slog.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

catlord posted:

This is an awesome collection, but I'm weird and I don't like the way it's set up, I like to put my stuff into folders in the Duke directory and select them from the drop down list when eDuke32 starts. Is there a way to do that with this collection? Also there's apparently an update for it coming soon.

If you run eduke32 with -jaddons it will do just that? Unless you mean something else.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

I actually maintain that Doom 32x is a pretty good port for when it came out, since it was another year or so until PSX Doom came out and wasn't awkward or absolute trash.

Nah, Jaguar Doom was already out and plays better. The catch is you have to have a Jaguar to play it back then. :v:

Douk Douk posted:

Mine's pretty big because it has a mirror of /idgames/levels that's mostly up to date. But it's on my other computer so I can't check just now..

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know how big my home doom folder is, probably not big.

I do have one at work, though :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 6, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I really wish someone would make a Quake 3 engine source port that would have support for the games that used it. It isn't that awful with some of the games but it would be nice to be able to get some modern niceties in them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

fishmech posted:

Nah, Jaguar Doom was already out and plays better. The catch is you have to have a Jaguar to play it back then. :v:

It also didn't really have sound because the sound chip was doing collision detection instead.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I'm going to be out of town for the DUMP3 contest but I'd love to throw my hat in to some doom mapping thing. Are there any other goon-participating things like this? If not, when's the next one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

Doom was heavily rushed to hit the 32X launch, to the point of flying John Carmack in to basically camp out at Sega of America's offices. IIRC the 32X launch titles had a pretty bumpy ride to release on account of proper devkits taking a while to get out there and documentation that was either lacking or in Japanese, so there's your reason for that version's, shall we say, lacking quality.

It never fails to astound me how incompetent Sega was during that time. :allears: