Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Geology posted:

A friend snapped these of my FJ last weekend at Lone Star Toyota Jamboree.

Look I'm a Jeep guy, and I may get kicked outta the club for saying this, but I loving love your FJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Yeah, your FJ is like XJ legit.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

So I'm tired of looking at the lights on my dash on my Mitsubishi and I want to trade it in for something else 4x4. Right now I'm looking at a Colorado, a 2k1 4runner sr5 and a 99 ranger. Anything in particular I should know about these? Anything I should avoid on sight? My budget is about $4k but I'm in the sticks

Also, FJ's are loving boss. The guy who sold me my Montero replaced it with an FJ and tore up the local 4x4 park with it. It doesn't get much cooler than that ironman paint job, nice work/good form

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 25, 2016

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

The goddamn Ivan Stewart paint job on that FJ is the TITS. I'm trying to design my own retro stadium truck paint job without completely biting the Ivan Stewart theme, but it looks so drat good.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That FJ is really cool looking. Good taste!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What a kick rear end looking ride

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012
So my Discovery is being typically Land Roverish.

Took it in to get some work done and turned out that the rear half-shaft had snapped at some point and I'd been in 1WD all these months, booked it in to get this sorted as well as the grinding noise on over-run looked at. Put a new half-shaft in and now the rear diff wasn't working properly, turns out the previous owner had welded it up and not told anybody! The added stress of driving like this had grenaded my transfer box (that'd be the noise on over-run), oh and the front diff was pretty wonky too.

One month later I had a new (used) transfer box and two diffs. Drove it about 10 miles and it started making more noises, worse noises. Now it was making weird noises throughout the gears, getting worse with the higher gears, pulled over and it looked like a puddle of transmission oil was forming underneath the car. gently caress that, I just drove it straight back to the mechanics. Yesterday I got the call, my new transfer box was no good after all and this one was busted too!

So I don't know if I should just roll the dice again on a transfer box or if I should get a remanned one from Ashcroft or something for £400 (4x the price of used) for the peace of mind? Oh, and why did it sound like the gearbox was making noises too, with the added fun of it popping out of 4th now, the clutch going to the floor at one point (popped back up with my toes and fine since) and then getting stuck in 2nd while at the lights on the way back to the mechanics. Could this all just be the transfer box or am I looking at a new gearbox too? Of course I can't tell if the gearbox is good or bad without a new transfer box but it seems to change throughout the gears okay while stationary and the oil is apparently good ...

Now taking advice!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you're in North America, get a Jeep of some sort? Maybe even if you're in Europe lol

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012
Scotland here, and too many Jeeps in my past to ever want one again.

gently caress it though, I just bought a £200 gearbox and transfer box that somebody had very obviously pressure-washed all the crud off of and a new HD clutch for £50. Will update my tale of woe next week.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

I've heard of the center (or centre) diff getting annihilated on those lt230 cases when they're unlocked in icy/slick conditions. Something about losing traction and the diff spinning so fast the heat builds up and it welds itself and asplodes.

Ah found it at pirate4x4 from Dave Ashcroft himself:

quote:

You will only break the stock one if :

1) you tow it !

2) you are wheelspinning with the diff unlocked

3) you have it locked when on the road

I haven't had one myself, but I've been researching the case as a potential swap into my turd. For a trail rig I'd pick up one of the part time conversion diffs. Ashcroft makes a $$$ product, Quaife has an LSD center diff that costs more than my whole rig, but I'm sure I've seen more reasonably priced parts as part of a part time conversion kit. Party part part.

Anyway, easy with the drifting is all I'm saying.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm trying to figure out if I should sell my Daihatsu Rocky and get a Samurai. My neighbor has an 86 with an aftermarket hardtop and includes a parts 88 (which is actually complete but has no title), for $3000-ish. My Rocky has zero aftermarket, and I can't weld the diffs because its our spare car and its street driven. I don't want to re-axle it just for aftermarket support, and I'd rather just have the Samurai, which has great and cheap-ish aftermarket. Ideas?

edit: I have 31s now, which bolt right on the Samurai, actually.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I say do it. The aftermarket support makes things a lot easier, especially if you're not going to be swapping in custom axles and things.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Do it. Samurais are super cool - someone on my commute to work recently bought a mint, lifted one on A/Ts and I ogle it every time I drive by. My offroading buddy had one back in the day and loved it for it's ability to squeeze around boulders and things everyone else has to drive over.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
They're great but a bit rubbish for river crossings. Light and floaty.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

gimpsuitjones posted:

They're great but a bit rubbish for river crossings. Light and floaty.

We don't have water in California. Its far more likely to do desert exploration than go near more than a foot of water. I also realized I have a Warn M5000, which is tiny but probably enough for a Samurai when used with a snatch block (the only way to winch). Like the picture of my Rocky shows, my brother's 85 Toyota is a bit of a trail rig, and we always wheel together.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

We don't have water in California. Its far more likely to do desert exploration than go near more than a foot of water. I also realized I have a Warn M5000, which is tiny but probably enough for a Samurai when used with a snatch block (the only way to winch). Like the picture of my Rocky shows, my brother's 85 Toyota is a bit of a trail rig, and we always wheel together.
We need to go wheeling. Want to go to Colosseum Mine this weekend?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Paulie posted:

I've heard of the center (or centre) diff getting annihilated on those lt230 cases when they're unlocked in icy/slick conditions. Something about losing traction and the diff spinning so fast the heat builds up and it welds itself and asplodes.

I haven't had one myself, but I've been researching the case as a potential swap into my turd. For a trail rig I'd pick up one of the part time conversion diffs. Ashcroft makes a $$$ product, Quaife has an LSD center diff that costs more than my whole rig, but I'm sure I've seen more reasonably priced parts as part of a part time conversion kit. Party part part.

My brains a little rusty on rover bullshit, I remember the guys on pirate were working around this with ashcroft. iirc they redesigned some parts for better oil flow to the center diff and that kept it from assploding.

....this was also on a hammers buggy with a LS infront of it. iirc he wanted all time 4x4 but unlocked so that he can haul balls on the flat stretches.

E: heh found it. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-rover/1626818-i-blew-up-my-lt-230-koh-took-me-out.html

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You can also weld Hilux axles under those little suzukis for a wider track, massive range of diff ratios and all the chromolly poo poo for the front end

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It'd be pretty rad to get one and put a Toyota 3L or something in it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Even a little 2LT or something like that- Its only a 2.4L turbo diesel but when you weigh as much as an ants wang it gets up and boogies. Mate had a 3L with a 2LT turbo setup bolted onto it jammed into a Toyota Blizzard and that thing was stupidly quick for what it was.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I just trust the 3L more'n the 2LT, you know the 2.4 turbo is going to crack the head sooner or later. It would be rad though, 2LT is super fun even in a 3 door 70 series

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

Paulie posted:

Yeah I think the stress of a welded rear and all those road miles and then the added stress of being 1WD for god knows how many months somehow grenaded the centre. I'll pick it up when I get the new(er) parts swapped in and split the case and check it out myself.

cursedshitbox posted:

My brains a little rusty on rover bullshit, I remember the guys on pirate were working around this with ashcroft. iirc they redesigned some parts for better oil flow to the center diff and that kept it from assploding.

....this was also on a hammers buggy with a LS infront of it. iirc he wanted all time 4x4 but unlocked so that he can haul balls on the flat stretches.

E: heh found it. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/land-rover/1626818-i-blew-up-my-lt-230-koh-took-me-out.html

Interesting, I notice Ashcroft have a load of add-ons for their basic transmission/transfer box rebuilds that are supposed to alleviate a lot of the common issues that can turn up on modified Land Rovers.

I HATE PINK BIKES fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 28, 2016

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Idiot 4WD club ignores severe weather warnings, gets 38 people including kids trapped in a blizzard at 4000ft for about 20 hours overnight until they can be rescued by snowcats. After being told the trucks will likely be trapped until spring, their first recovery plan was stopped by police because they thought bulldozers would get up there (they probably wont) and yet they are still planning on plan b, tractors, which also probably won't make it.

Neat pics tho!

https://imgur.com/gallery/6Ze6Q

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Haha yeah, chumps. That's just up the road from me. They were planning on going back this weekend with tractors which is the dumbest idea ever, it's been southerly and raining/snowing in the hills all weekend

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012
That reminds me, if I'm replacing the gearbox and the transfer box is there anything else I should be doing at the same time? I've got a heavy duty clutch, new rubber mounts and will obviously be doing the fluids, just wondering if there's anything else I'm missing.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Shifter seats and boots while you've got them out. Made a world of difference to mine after doing the shift lever foot- No more "Dick in a fridge box" looseness in the gear knob!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So over Memorial Day weekend, I went out to Colosseum Mine, in the Clark Mountains, just on the California side of the border with Nevada.

You cruise out the 15, exit Cima Road, and follow that (or, more specifically, Excelsior Mine Road, which it turns into) north for awhile, where it starts looking like this:

Keep going, you'll see some powerlines, and a power line road underneath:

That leads to a turn off (unmarked, Yates Well Road) which goes down something more like this:

It's quite beautiful the whole way, but once you're getting closer to the foothills, it's really amazing:

A couple of miles of meandering, not too difficult road, leads to this:

Once you pass through that gate, you have to pose:

And then you drive down to the "lake", which is quite beautiful:

It's also a great spot for an R/C boat adventure:

Here's what it looks like at night, with some smoke blowing over the water:

This is just to the east, though you have to find the right trail to get to one of a couple lookouts:

I've got some more pics which I'll throw up a little bit later, I just wanted to bump the thread and post about some fun 4x4 stuff. It was a hell of a lot of fun, and a great place to camp. No crazy difficult wheeling , but some of the roads are rough enough that ground clearance and suspension travel are nice to have.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

It's also a great spot for an R/C boat adventure:

A. Yes, more pics please.
B. The R/C boat is a Good Idea. Gonna have to remember that one.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

That's fuckin' cool! What's the deal with the gate - is it locked/gotta know someone?

I love those solar installations in the desert - you can argue they're ugly and ruin the landscape but I dig 'em; it's like living in the future. I camped out once for a few nights in the Chuckawalla Valley waaay out overlooking Chuckawalla State Prison and the solar sites. The Prison glittered at night and the panels glittered by day - it was trippy and thought-provoking as hell and I have been fond of them ever since.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That's fuckin' cool! What's the deal with the gate - is it locked/gotta know someone?
Nope, it's just wrapped with a chain. It has a sign that says to keep the gate closed, but nothing saying to stay out. Everything I saw out there seemed like they were trying to keep animals out, not people.

ExecuDork posted:

A. Yes, more pics please.
B. The R/C boat is a Good Idea. Gonna have to remember that one.
I'll get them up. One tip: don't capsize the boat in the middle of the lake in the middle of the night because you cut hard across the wake with glow sticks taped onto it. It makes getting it back kind of annoying.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

the group with all the trucks stuck up on the Waikaia Bush Road managed to get them out today

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/80764688/group-reaches-buried-4wd-vehicles-that-were-stuck-in-snow-more-than-two-weeks-ago

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Gates are chained/closed and the rule of thumb in public lands/park lands is leave them as you find them. Some rural areas you have ranchers and it keeps cattle within a certain area. Not so much the case these days out there. Over around Big Bear there's tons of gates up in the mountains down to the high desert, so generally you open the gates, go through close the gates as long as its public property/land you are fine. If a trail is closed, theres sometimes a sign and a lock but not always. Even so, there's a few assholes out there who will lock the gate for whatever reason, in which case you have a pair of bolt cutters on hand to deal with that situation.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Took the big turd out for its first fireroad trip. LSD works. :D. Didn't get a chance to test the 4wd as the wife was getting pretty sore.

(knoxville ohv, we moto there often)

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

cursedshitbox posted:

Took the big turd out for its first fireroad trip. LSD works. :D. Didn't get a chance to test the 4wd as the wife was getting pretty sore.

(knoxville ohv, we moto there often)

Beautiful. And the scenery ain't bad either.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I took a trip up Sheep Mountain Table in Badlands National Park this morning. It went like this.

Start by waking up at dawn after a rough night's sleep punctuated by coyote howls and light rain (also every moron and their brother shining lights at your tent traipsing around the overcrowded campground).

Leave the park, then drive 25 miles down heavily washboarded gravel roads. Re-enter the park (I wound up entering the park in five different places, because that's just how the roads went)

For maximum effect, drop at least some of the convertible top. Taste the dust. Feel the dust. Be the dust.

Hang a right when you get to the sign promising "MINIMALLY MAINTAINED ROAD" (I wish I'd taken a picture of that sign)

Follow this path, despite the fact that your Jeep is sober.

It's kinda tight

DEMON CAMBER

If you're me, turn around most of the way down the trail when you realize you should probably have a buddy out here with you.

The view from the turnaround was pretty nice.

No time to pose! You've got another seven hours of driving down to Colorado today!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I've never been through SD but that is pretty much what I figured it looked like! Unfortunately all of my favorite light wheeling spots close to Denver are on fire or about to be on fire.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The eastern half of SD is a really long string of farmland. Sioux Falls is a couple restaurants, factories, and an Ag school nestled among the farms. It's kinda lovely, but not as "beautiful desolation" as eastern Wyoming.

Fun story, coming out of Sioux Falls, I saw a billboard for KBAD 94.5FM, "The Guns, Gold, and Rock & Roll Radio Network". I could only pick it up for about 20 minutes, but in that 20 minutes I heard "Holy Diver" by Dio and then "Basketcase" by Greenday. It was a weird mix.

You say the wheeling spots near Denver are on fire? I'd picked out Argentine Pass as a possible quick destination before I hit the road on Thursday; do you think that'd be doable?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
That looks like it's down near the springs so it should be fine unless someone does something stupid camping! I am a lot more familiar with the trails around middle St vrain in Boulder county which is pretty hosed right now.

Edit: actually that trail is out near Georgetown about an hour west. It's probably awesome and not on fire.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Welp. 2 years of club dues – we’re talkin’ a hundred clams total – finally paid off. A rep from General Tire got in touch with the club asking for volunteers to test out a new tire they were releasing in the fall. The only stipulation was the ability to be at the trail on a workday. If I’m not traveling, I work from home, so I sent them a nice shot of my rig and a spec sheet.

I think I sent them this shot:

To my surprise they said yes. The first batch they were releasing were the 35x12.50/17 size, and that worked fine for me. A size down, but hey it’ll be fun to participate in A Thing. They told me I’d get to keep the set of 5 wheels and tires after the photo/film shoot. Say whaaa? Awesome.

So they pick out some blingy wheels and send the package to a local Discount Tire for me to pick up, and they also finally tell me what the tires actually are. I thought they may just be some larger sizes of the current General Grabber M/T’s, but they were actually the new General Grabber X3

I get them mounted up on my trusty old piece of poo poo:

…and proceed to enjoy the difference in a brand new modern era mud terrain tire, all quiet and smooth and poo poo, vs my half worn 37” pitbulls that at 35 mph drowned out all other noises and also made any greater than 15 min drive a literal pain in the rear end. I also had a local shop, Metalwerx, glue together a tire carrier for me in time for the event.

I make the nice 2 hr drive to Uwharrie Nat’l Forest and meet up with half a dozen other drivers and General people. There’s a big rear end Ram truck with a sweet in bed camper, a General rep in another Ram, and then 5 or 6 JK’s.

Goddamn JKs.

Everywhere.

I take it mine is the token beater, and I’m ok with that. We proceed to the hardest section of the hardest trail (which isn’t that hard, but you can mangle your poo poo if you aren’t careful) which is the guardrail “obstacle” on Rocky Mtn Loop. Just a rocky section. There are bypasses and hardlines and the trail to guardrail is fun.

They didn’t give me any shots from when I was really in the poo poo, but they did get a few cool shots.

Unfortunately, I managed to rip my shock mount off the frame on the rear pass side, which then ended up snagging some fuel pump wiring and caused the trooper to stall out a few times. Eventually it stopped me cold and I had to be towed back to the Outpost to fix it. At the time we didn’t know what it was, because the time I fully stalled out and we tinkered a bit under the hood, the pass tire was stuffed in the wheelwell and we couldn’t see in there.

The shame!

When I got the the outpost I found the issue. Luckily it only pulled a wire loose from its connector. There were plenty of fuel and brake lines around it could have gotten a hold of. I fixed up the wiring, cranked her up, and decide to 3 shock it back home. Not surprisingly, it rode absolutely no different. I guess a couple years and a half dozen wheeling trips using the shock as a bumpstop must have destroyed the shocks long ago. Remember to set your bumpstops to actually work, kids.

Anyway, even though the day was cut short, I had a great time with some good folks. And they included the trooper in one of their promo films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SosBBPBqd88

And they gave it one of its own short films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IjjoYWfHdo

Maybe it will end up in some widespread ad copy in some tire stores or something.

Pretty sweet way to get a free set of tires in any case.

Paulie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I love that you're rocking a trooper. I had an '88 back in the day and it was awesome (other than the 4 cylinder).